Ryzen 7000 Testing

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
@etorix and @CaseySJ

Thank you both for your insight, especially since this will be my first machine with a TB4 maple ridge controller. Regarding maple ridge, an old friend of mine actually had a pretty nice setup with a Gigabyte Z590i Vision D board with TB4 that served him well. I think he may have had some luck with hot plug too, as CaseySJ has described. Out of curiosity, I’ll have to ask if this is true.

I personally do not require hot plug, and would just like to have a couple of devices connected via TB4 dock at all times, but even this is not a requirement for me! In my experience hackintoshing, I’ve never had “perfect” thunderbolt support. Sometimes I’ll need to reboot a couple of times before my devices are connected. Completely fine with me! Still, it should be a fun project to try and get working- excited to try some things out!

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@etorix and @CaseySJ

Thank you both for your insight, especially since this will be my first machine with a TB4 maple ridge controller. Regarding maple ridge, an old friend of mine actually had a pretty nice setup with a Gigabyte Z590i Vision D board with TB4 that served him well. I think he may have had some luck with hot plug too, as CaseySJ has described. Out of curiosity, I’ll have to ask if this is true.

I personally do not require hot plug, and would just like to have a couple of devices connected via TB4 dock at all times, but even this is not a requirement for me! In my experience hackintoshing, I’ve never had “perfect” thunderbolt support. Sometimes I’ll need to reboot a couple of times before my devices are connected. Completely fine with me! Still, it should be a fun project to try and get working- excited to try some things out!
I was able to connect my Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro to the X670E Gene without any difficulty. We just have to connect and power it up before we boot macOS. However, I installed official BIOS 0805 yesterday and let's just say Thunderbolt got shoved into the Twilight Zone! :) Will investigate in the coming days.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
I was able to connect my Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro to the X670E Gene without any difficulty. We just have to connect and power it up before we boot macOS.
I figured something like this would be the case! Would fit my needs perfectly.

However, I installed official BIOS 0805 yesterday and let's just say Thunderbolt got shoved into the Twilight Zone! :) Will investigate in the coming days.
Whoops! Hopefully we’ll be able to get it back :LOL:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
... Can't test yet though, CPU still on the way!
Which processor did you choose for the mini-ITX build? Also curious which CPU cooler you chose.

I'm really thrilled with the Asus X670E Gene. The Gen-Z riser accommodates two NVMe SSDs in a DIMM-like slot right next to the DIMM slots. Can you imagine how easy it has been for me to install NVMe drives? The Gen-Z thingy is hugely convenient. While we were investing PCI zombies we could not install any NVMe SSD, but after that problem was overcome, I was able to install one in 5 minutes without removing GPU or anything else.

Yesterday in fact I installed a 4TB NVMe SSD into the same Gen-Z riser. I transferred my lossless music collection to that disk, which includes a number of DSD files. Fixing audio was a big deal. It's been said that we truly appreciate something when we're deprived of it. For a long time we were deprived of functioning audio...

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ is the Master here.
SSDTs depend on card, motherboard and slot used, so it would be best to open a specific thread and describe your hardware.
I have a Gigabyte Aorus Master rev 1.2 and a Titan Ridge V2. Thunderbolt works without be flashed hot plug but when i am loading a Universal Audio plugin in the Octo Satellite it takes a very long time, i have the color wheel. I haven't any other devices to check if i have a real TB3 or a ******* USB-C. I was afraid to flash the card, but i saw in a precedent comment it seems there s no risk with W10

Last edited:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
does OC need to be patched in order to install / run Ventura from the send (x8) PCI slot on the X670E motherboard?

I may have damaged the top x16 slot while building this machine b/c try as I might I can't get my 6650XT to show any picture when plugged into the top x16 slot.

on a whim I tried the 2nd x8 slot and Windows 11 booted just fine.

unfortunately Ventura install hangs very early in the boot process when I have the 6650XT installed in the x8 slot. I wonder if it needs to be patched to look for the GPU in the second slot.

I thought I had gotten a faulty GPU but looks like the x16 slot on the mobo is toast. a friend is bringing over an old nVidia GPU to test the top slot but I thinking I have to RMA.

sad times.

etorix

AMD OS X Member
I have a Gigabyte Aorus Master rev 1.2 and a Titan Ridge V2. Thunderbolt works without be flashed hot plug but when i am loading a Universal Audio plugin in the Octo Satellite it takes a very long time, i have the color wheel. I haven't any other devices to check if i have a real TB3 or a ******* USB-C. I was afraid to flash the card, but i saw in a precedent comment it seems there s no risk with W10
Flashing the card is only necessary if the device requires the Thunderbolt bus. I have no idea whether this is the case with this Octo Satellite.
To check whether Thunderbolt is enabled and how the Octo is connected, use IORegistryExplorer and scroll to find where the Octo appears. Or just check System Information.

etorix

AMD OS X Member
I may have damaged the top x16 slot while building this machine b/c try as I might I can't get my 6650XT to show any picture when plugged into the top x16 slot.
A RX6650XT (0x73ef) should be spoofed to a RX6600XT (0x73ff) to work with macOS. This spoof will itself require the card's location, and thus depend on where it is plugged.
Does it work with Windows when plugged into the top slot? If so, use Device Properties to obtain the PCI and ACPI paths.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
does OC need to be patched in order to install / run Ventura from the send (x8) PCI slot on the X670E motherboard?
We only need the PCI zombie kernel patch that has been added to AMD-OSX patches.

Ouch! Do you see any visible signs of damage to the individual pins in the slot? Does a different card work there?

on a whim I tried the 2nd x8 slot and Windows 11 booted just fine.

unfortunately Ventura install hangs very early in the boot process when I have the 6650XT installed in the x8 slot. I wonder if it needs to be patched to look for the GPU in the second slot.
Also check that AMD-OSX kernel patches have been modified to match the CPU count of your processor.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Which processor did you choose for the mini-ITX build? Also curious which CPU cooler you chose.
Went all out with the 7950x! I will be pairing it with an EK 280 AIO.

I'm really thrilled with the Asus X670E Gene. The Gen-Z riser accommodates two NVMe SSDs in a DIMM-like slot right next to the DIMM slots. Can you imagine how easy it has been for me to install NVMe drives? The Gen-Z thingy is hugely convenient. While we were investing PCI zombies we could not install any NVMe SSD, but after that problem was overcome, I was able to install one in 5 minutes without removing GPU or anything else.
I don't think the ASUS implemented the Gen-Z riser with this ITX board, but I'm still a big fan of the nvme installation process on this board. It feels like such a small yet impactful luxury to no need to fiddle around with SSDs on the back of the board and the entire NVME assembly seems so sturdy yet easy to use.

Yesterday in fact I installed a 4TB NVMe SSD into the same Gen-Z riser. I transferred my lossless music collection to that disk, which includes a number of DSD files. Fixing audio was a big deal. It's been said that we truly appreciate something when we're deprived of it. For a long time we were deprived of functioning audio...
I reminded me of terrible audio stuttering issues with my first ever hackintosh, many years ago. Made me give up at first, but I'm glad I got back into it over a decade later! Once I saw audio was usable again- that's what prompted me to pull the trigger. I know some folks dislike the lack of onboard audio on this motherboard and I totally understand why, but I for one actually like it! I'd be using an external solution anyway and if it frees up space for other features, I'm all for it! DSD audio... wow it's been a while since I've heard of another person using that format! :LOL:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Does it work with Windows when plugged into the top slot? If so, use Device Properties to obtain the PCI and ACPI paths.
It does not work in Windows in the top slot. only works in windows in the second x8 slot.

Ouch! Do you see any visible signs of damage to the individual pins in the slot? Does a different card work there?

no visible signs of damage. but I can't think of anything else causing this issue. I will test later tonight / this week with a second video card a friend is bringing over and revert

Also check that AMD-OSX kernel patches have been modified to match the CPU count of your processor.

The EFI I am using was built for my X570/5950X system. I assume the core count info for the 5950X and the 7950X is the same.

Last edited:

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
have any of you tried to reissue the 4 dimm slots with 4 32 gb modules to get 128 Gb?
in case you did with what brand and what frequencies?
I read very conflicting opinions about the robustness of the system with all slots full

Thank you

no goods new

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

The EFI I am using was built for my X570/5850X system. I assume the core count info for the 5950X and the 7950X is the same.
The core count is the same, but the PCI zombie patch needs to be added (probeBusGated).

Update:
We also need MMIO Whitelist entries. This is done by running Debug version of OpenCore.efi with:
  • config.plist --> Misc --> Debug --> Target = 0x67
An OpenCore log file will be created in the top folder of the EFI partition. It will contain MMIO Whitelist entries. Feel free to post that file.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

no goods new
As I was watching this video last night I was quietly smiling because my Asus X670E Gene has only two DIMM slots.

Nevertheless, I agree that the industry needs to fix this headache for more demanding users. If 4 slots are placed on the board, they need to work perfectly with both single ranked and dual ranked memory. We shouldn’t have to move to HEDT (i.e. ThreadRipper) just for this reason.

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Alder Lake had the same issues, as soon as you had 2 dpc boards had issues reaching 6000 MT/s. This was to be expected on the first generation of a new standard, CPU and Board manufacturer need time to learn and optimize. Raptor Lake already showed improvements.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** Quick Overview of Configuring OpenCore for AM5 Platform **
Please refer to Table of Contents for quick reference to many topics

It's great to see the rising interest in AM5 Ryzentosh. As more people begin to receive their components and start configuring OpenCore, it makes sense to provide a quick overview of the process here.

Items Needed:
  • OpenCore 0.8.7 or newer is recommended because it contains TSC/FSB fix for garbled audio
  • Latest AMD-OSX kernel patches are needed because they contain the fix for PCI zombies
  • Aquantia driver patches are needed if you have a supported AQC-107 or AQC-113 10 gigabit Ethernet card
  • The following config.plist editors may be used depending on your preference (let's not start a holy war):
    • OpenCore Configurator 2.64.0.1 (be sure to set its preferences to OpenCore 0.8.7)
    • OpenCore Auxiliary Tools (OCAT)
    • Plist Editor of your choice

Configuration Outline:
This is not a comprehensive build guide, but an outline of the steps necessary for configuring OpenCore.
  • Install AMD-OSX patches and configure the first three according to the number of physical CPU cores in your processor (exclude the HyperThreads)
    • Details are included in the AMD-OSX GitHub page
  • Install Aquantia driver patches if you're using a supported AQC-107 or AQC-113 card
    • In some cases a separate SSDT may be needed; for example, to use Gigabyte GC-AQC113C add-in-card, we need a SSDT that I can provide by request
Determine MMIO Whitelist:
  • Use the debug version of OpenCore.efi and set:
    • config.plist --> Misc --> Debug --> Target --> 0x67
  • Enable DevirtualiseMmio checkbox in Booter section
  • Boot the system and select the macOS Installer from OpenCore boot picker
    • Don't worry if the installer fails to start
    • We just want OpenCore to generate its log file
  • An OpenCore log file will now be created in the top folder of the EFI partition of USB boot disk
    • MMIO Whitelist values will be in that file
  • Add those values to config.plist in the same order as they appear in OpenCore log file, and start by enabling only the 2nd entry
    • Other entries -- typically all except the last -- can be enabled if the system still boots with them enabled
  • Now we can switch back to Release version of OpenCore.efi and set:
    • config.plist --> Misc --> Debug --> Target --> 0x03
Add necessary SSDT files (note that some of these files may need to be tuned to each motherboard):
  • SSDT-CPUR.aml (provided in attached zip)
  • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml (provided in attached zip)
  • SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml (provided in attached zip)
  • SSDT-IGPU-DISABLE.aml (this is recommended in order to hide iGPU from macOS)
  • To enable Intel 2.5 gigabit Ethernet port I225-V, click here for procedure
  • Owners of Gigabyte boards may need to apply one or more ACPI patches; click here or search for XPRW
Add necessary Kexts:
  • Lilu
  • VirtualSMC
  • WhateverGreen (optional, but I like it)
  • RestrictEvents
  • AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement (optional, but I like it)
  • SMCAMDProcessor (part of AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement)
  • AppleALCU (for USB-based audio codecs)
  • AppleALC (for PCH-based audio codecs)
  • AppleMCEReporterDisabler
Booter Quirks to Enable (disable those not listed):
  • AvoidRuntimeDefrag
  • DevirtualiseMmio
  • EnableSafeModeSlide
  • ProvideCustomSlide
  • RebuildAppleMemoryMap
  • SetupVirtualMap
  • SyncRuntimePermissions
  • ResizeAppleGpuBars = 0 (if Resize GPU Bars is enabled in BIOS, otherwise -1 is okay)
Kernel Quirks to Enable (disable those not listed):
  • DisableLinkeditJettison
  • ForceAquantiaAqtion (if you have supported AQC-107 or AQC-113)
  • PanicNoKextDump
  • PowerTimeoutKernelPanic
  • ProvideCurrentCpuInfo (critical -- otherwise AMD kernel patches won't work)
Boot Arguments:
  • keepsyms=1 e1000=0 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera
  • Remember: We can always press and release CMD-V at OpenCore boot picker to enable Verbose mode. No need to add -v to boot arguments
  • If you're using AppleALC for PCH-based audio codec, also specify Layout ID using alcid=x where x is the integer ID
BIOS Configuration:
  • Start by selecting Load Optimized Defaults
  • Enable Memory EXPO or XMP profile
  • Enable Above 4G Decoding
    • On Asus AM5 boards this is typically enabled by default
  • Resizable BAR (Base Address Register)
    • Enable if your GPU supports this
    • If enabled, also set ResizeAppleGpuBars to 0 in Booter section of config.plist
  • XHCI Handoff
    • This is available in the USB section and must be enabled
  • On boards with built-in Thunderbolt, disable Thunderbolt in BIOS for the time being
USB Install Disk:
  • Use a good 32GB or 64GB USB 3.x flash drive
  • Format the disk as:
    • Name: (anything)
    • Format: MacOS Journaled (not APFS)
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map (don't forget this)
  • Download Ventura or Monterey installer using GibMacOS
  • Use createinstallmedia command to write it to the USB flash disk
After installation is done it will be necessary (or least highly recommended) to create a USB port map.

Attachments

• AM5-SSDT-FILES.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@CaseySJ I have a few things to add:

- The SSDT-CPUR prebuilt from Dortania might not work on some motherboards, as it excepts the cores to be named C000. I recommend using the one I sent in the first pages of this thread, if needed I'll reupload it.

- ProvideMaxSlide is already 0 in the Sample.plist.

- For the MmioWhitelist, we should get as many whitelisted spaces as possible, and on all AM5 platforms we've seen for now, only the LAST space needs to be UNWHITELISTED.

- Isn't it better to disable the iGPU from the BIOS instead of an SSDT?

- IIRC AppleALCU isn't needed for USB audio, can anyone verify this?

Except this, another crucial BIOS setting is Above 4G Decoding which has to be enabled. Most motherboards also need XHCI Hand-off. I recommend making an USB map before installation from Windows via USBToolBox before installing. If Windows is unavailable, use Windows PE like the one from Bob Oms.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@ExtremeXT

Good points. Will update soon.

On Asus boards Above 4G and XHCI Handoff are enabled by default, hence they skipped my mind. Will add them to the list.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
I would also suggest to recheck MMIO debug txt if user adds M2 disk or any PCIE devices and obviously if user changes some bios option like 4G / Resize bar and others

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.