Ryzen 7000 Testing

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Which kext had the additional Line In? Was it this one?
Yes, that's the one.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Yes, that's the one.
Please try this version:
  • "G" numbers (serial or group numbers) are changed back
  • Possibly found and fixed an error in Pin Configuration for Microphone input
Things to check:
  • Do rear and front line outs (headphone) work?
  • Do rear and front Microphone inputs work?
  • Does Line In appear as a second Input?

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@ExtremeXT,

In case Microphones still fail, here's one more variation that defines only one Mic-In and sets the other two inputs to Line-In. I've used this particular configuration on my Intel-based Asus Z690 ProArt-Creator. It's possible that macOS only expects one Mic-In.

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
... Intel users have no reason to not enable VT-d) or a new quirk.
A number of users with Intel-based dual boot systems (Win and Mac) are unable to boot Windows through OpenCore when we enable AppleVTD on systems where it's necessary to drop and replace the DMAR table. Those users turn off AppleVTD or boot Windows grudgingly through the BIOS boot menu (F8 on Asus, F12 on Gigabyte, etc.).

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@ExtremeXT,

In case Microphones still fail, here's one more variation that defines only one Mic-In and sets the other two inputs to Line-In. I've used this particular configuration on my Intel-based Asus Z690 ProArt-Creator. It's possible that macOS only expects one Mic-In.
Unfortunately, neither of the 2 versions changed anything, there's still only the internal microphone in Input. Both Output ports work perfectly.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Unfortunately, neither of the 2 versions changed anything, there's still only the internal microphone in Input. Both Output ports work perfectly.
It seems the problem might be in the base code for ALC887. When we create a new layout, we use existing XML files as templates. These preexisting files contain various technical details that we typically don’t modify when creating a new layout because new layouts are primarily about different In and Out ports.

I’ll upload the latest edits to GitHub.

When I created layout 15, I used layout 13 as a template. There are other layouts that could be used. We can see if there are substantial differences among the various platform XML files that exist for ALC887.

As for the missing Line In, I think that was present in the kext prior to the one you pointed to. I’ll revert to that one.

Incidentally, when I created layout 13 for the Asus Z690 ProArt, I must have gone through 15 or 20 iterations before getting all the little nooks and crannies straight.

Last edited:

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Not sure how to handle this so let's pose the following questions here:
1. May be considered. As an alternative to a whole new quirk, the two "compact" patches may be added to the template Sample.plist, in disabled form.
2. It was already done for OCAT, so why not OCC?
3. Easiest to do and to maintain. Lowest reach of all options, as potential users would have to find the repository (probably through forums).

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I've updated the GitHub repository:

Here's how to build AppleALC:
  • Feel free to fork a copy and download your forked version of the entire repo (or just download my repo directly)
  • Copy the debug version of Lilu.kext to top level of AppleALC folder
    • Because AppleALC is a Lilu plug-in, we need to do this
  • Download MacKernelSDK from Acidanthera located here
    • Uncompress the zip and rename the parent folder to just MacKernelSDK
    • Copy or move the entire folder to top level of AppleALC folder
      Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 1.04.42 PM.png
  • Launch Xcode and open the AppleALC.xcodeproj file
  • Select AppleALC as the build target from the top of Xcode window
  • Click the "play" button to compile
    Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 1.08.05 PM.png
The two most important files are:
  • AppleALC --> Resources --> ALC887 --> layout15.xml
  • AppleALC --> Resources --> ALC887 --> Platforms15.xml
Pin Configuration data is located in:
  • AppleALC --> Resources --> PinConfigs.kext --> Contents --> Info.plist
  • Lines 6209 to 6226 as shown below:
Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 1.13.46 PM.png

Attached is one more version to try (equivalent to the latest commit).

Attachments

• AppleALC.kext.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I've updated the GitHub repository:

Here's how to build AppleALC:
  • Feel free to fork a copy and download your forked version of the entire repo (or just download my repo directly)
  • Copy the debug version of Lilu.kext to top level of AppleALC folder
    • Because AppleALC is a Lilu plug-in, we need to do this
  • Download MacKernelSDK from Acidanthera located here
    • Uncompress the zip and rename the parent folder to just MacKernelSDK
    • Copy or move the entire folder to top level of AppleALC folder
      View attachment 8899
  • Launch Xcode and open the AppleALC.xcodeproj file
  • Select AppleALC as the build target from the top of Xcode window
  • Click the "play" button to compile
    View attachment 8900
The two most important files are:
  • AppleALC --> Resources --> ALC887 --> layout15.xml
  • AppleALC --> Resources --> ALC887 --> Platforms15.xml
Pin Configuration data is located in:
  • AppleALC --> Resources --> PinConfigs.kext --> Contents --> Info.plist
  • Lines 6209 to 6226 as shown below:
View attachment 8901

Attached is one more version to try (equivalent to the latest commit).
With this build, with no microphone plugged in, there are 2 options: Internal Microphone and Line In. By plugging the microphone into the front jack, the Internal Microphone changes into another Line In input, but unfortunately it can't detect any sound. When plugging it into the back jack, nothing changes, same as with nothing plugged in. This is the same behavior as layout 1 which I was using before.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
With this build, with no microphone plugged in, there are 2 options: Internal Microphone and Line In. By plugging the microphone into the front jack, the Internal Microphone changes into another Line In input, but unfortunately it can't detect any sound. When plugging it into the back jack, nothing changes, same as with nothing plugged in. This is the same behavior as layout 1 which I was using before.
I've started a new thread to continue:

Last edited:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Not to interrupt the flow of troubleshooting, but...I caved! Picked up the Asus X670E-I motherboard and RAM today. I'm so excited: in all my years, this will actually be my first system put together with an entirely new motherboard and entirely new cpu. So what did I do first? Tear it apart to swap out the wireless card for my Broadcom one :p

At first, I was pretty shocked at how easy access to the wireless card was- just a couple of screws and the plastic bits came off and exposed the wireless card and enclosure. But the tricky part was that the CMOS battery and the ribbon cable connecting to it were stuck on to the side of the wireless card enclosure with some sort of adhesive. I had to be extremely careful peeling it off that I didn't rip any of the cables/leads. The VRM fan cables are also pretty thin too. Just a heads up for anyone else who wants to attempt a swap!

Just put everything back together, hopefully it's all functioning! I'd hate to have to go back in there again haha. Can't test yet though, CPU still on the way!

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@ovenlite1,

Welcome to the AM5 club! It's turning out to be an excellent Hackintosh platform. One word of caution if you're installing Ventura: disable Thunderbolt in BIOS for the time being. We're gonna have to tackle that eventually.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
@ovenlite1,

Welcome to the AM5 club! It's turning out to be an excellent Hackintosh platform. One word of caution if you're installing Ventura: disable Thunderbolt in BIOS for the time being. We're gonna have to tackle that eventually.
Got it, thanks for the heads up! Is that a Ventura specific thing, or do you happen to know if Thunderbolt works in Monterey? I don't even use hot plug, just have devices connected at boot. Not a big deal if not, but I'm considering holding off on jumping into Ventura for some other not yet compatible software, so if thunderbolt works in Monterey, it may contribute to my decision. Thanks in advance for any insight!

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Is that a Ventura specific thing, or do you happen to know if Thunderbolt works in Monterey?
Thunderbolt works fine with any version of macOS… if using Titan Ridge (Thunderbolt 3): Hotplug with a SSDT; full Apple-like Thunderbolt implementation with Thunderbolt bus (required for networking or DAS) by flashing a custom firmware (somewhat breaks TB with Windows).
The Maple Ridge controller for Thunderbolt 4 has no support in any version of macOS. Devices plugged before boot may work; no removal, no hot plug.

There was a happy exception for Intel users on Z690 Asus boards (and Asus only) in Big Sur (and Big Sur only), where the Thunderbolt bus was spontaneously enabled. You may try Big Sur on your Asus X670E-I to see if it also applies on AMD.
Otherwise, with a mini-ITX board you're essentially out of luck.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Thunderbolt works fine with any version of macOS… if using Titan Ridge (Thunderbolt 3): Hotplug with a SSDT; full Apple-like Thunderbolt implementation with Thunderbolt bus (required for networking or DAS) by flashing a custom firmware (somewhat breaks TB with Windows).
The Maple Ridge controller for Thunderbolt 4 has no support in any version of macOS. Devices plugged before boot may work; no removal, no hot plug.

There was a happy exception for Intel users on Z690 Asus boards (and Asus only) in Big Sur (and Big Sur only), where the Thunderbolt bus was spontaneously enabled. You may try Big Sur on your Asus X670E-I to see if it also applies on AMD.
Hi, please, could you share your BUS & TB3 SSDTs ? here or by PM please ?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Correct. However, we do have limited hot-plug capability with Maple Ridge on Intel-based systems. It may work a handful of times until the next reboot.

On my Asus X670E Gene with Big Sur, unfortunately this minor miracle (I may have used that phrase previous) does not occur because the ACPI implementation here is substantially different from an Intel board.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
if using Titan Ridge (Thunderbolt 3): Hotplug with a SSDT; full Apple-like Thunderbolt implementation with Thunderbolt bus (required for networking or DAS) by flashing a custom firmware (somewhat breaks TB with Windows).
I use a flashed Titan Ridge 1.0 in my TRX40 system
I have a thunderbolt NVME case connected in it , in NVME disk I have installed windows 11 pro
I can boot from this disk and windows 11 works fine
I have always read a flashed Titan Ridge does not work in windows, in my case it works
The only problem I have with thunderbolt is related to my motherboard , it doesn't have a tb header and no thunderbolt options in my bios
So in a cold boot no Tb devices seen by the system and I need to boot before with opencore and OSX and then reboots to see in bios and in Opencore menu thunderbolt disk and boots in Windows with 0 problems ( I am using and old firmware (23 Elias ones or similar name)

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@mariettosun

Does your motherboard have non-USB audio codec? If so, does your microphone input work?

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member

@mariettosun

Does your motherboard have non-USB audio codec? If so, does your microphone input work?
my board has 1220A bridged with an USB chip
I do not need of AppleAlc kext, it is simply seen as USB Realtek 2.0 audio
Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 2.58.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-04 at 2.58.23 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.