Ryzen 7000 Testing

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Then, why not wait for RX 7800 (XT) to be announced? Contrary to macOS support, which is uncertain, we can be fully confident that these parts will come—once AMD has extracted enough money from early RX 7900 adopters.
It depends on when the announcement might occur, but yes, waiting for the 7800 or 7800XT remains an option. Even waiting for the 7600 or 7600XT remains an option.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Greetings eveyone,

A while ago I embarked on a journey of getting my ASUS ROG X670E-I (ITX) setup, working with MacOS Big Sur (at first), but since I'm not a "hardcore" tech savvy, I decided to search for information on the web (forums, videos, repositories, etc.) and I'm really glad and thankful I've found this nice community. So without further due, I thank everyone involved for all the hard work and energy in making this possible, specially @CaseySJ and @ExtremeXT.

PS: My current build is in my signature.

Thank you! I'll be back for more!
Nice write-up and glad to hear the process went smoothly. Good job!

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Greetings eveyone,

A while ago I embarked on a journey of getting my ASUS ROG X670E-I (ITX) setup, working with MacOS Big Sur (at first), but since I'm not a "hardcore" tech savvy, I decided to search for information on the web (forums, videos, repositories, etc.) and I'm really glad and thankful I've found this nice community. So without further due, I thank everyone involved for all the hard work and energy in making this possible, specially @CaseySJ and @ExtremeXT.
So great to see this working- have almost the same components but just waiting for CPU to arrive! Very excited for you, and for me! HA!

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
I'd tend to 'pipe dream'.
For previous generations, there were hints like device ids in the drivers long ahead of support.
I take this with many many grains of salt, but: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-navi-31-spotted-in-apple-macos-11-big-sur-operating-system

While I'm currently more aligned with your thinking, it doesn't make me want it less;)

My brain says it won't happen, my wallet says it shouldn't, but my heart can't say no until this generation comes and goes without a driver release:)

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Even waiting for the 7600 or 7600XT remains an option.
Then the best part of the plan would be the waiting…
A W7800 upgrade would make sense even after the MacPro7,1 is discontinued and replaced by an AppleSilicon model. (No guarantee Apple will do it though.)
But if Apple discontinues the Intel Mac Pro, an upgrade to the low end W6600 would make no sense: Users who need compute power but only a basic GPU for display will not upgrade their basic 580/W5500/W6600. I would not expect anything lower than RX 7800 to ever be supported by macOS.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** OpenCore Configurator Users **

Please wait a couple of days for version 2.64.1.0 before editing OpenCore 0.8.7 config.plist. Current version supports "development" version of 0.8.7 but not the "release" version. If you use the current version anyway, it will be necessary to make one change manually:

XML:
        <key>Boot</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ConsoleAttributes</key>
            <integer>0</integer>
            <key>HibernateMode</key>
            <string>None</string>
            <key>HibernateSkipsPicker</key>
            <false/>
            <key>HideAuxiliary</key>
            <true/>
            <key>LauncherOption</key>
            <string>Disabled</string>
            <key>LauncherPath</key>
            <string>Default</string>
            <key>PickerAttributes</key>
            <integer>153</integer>
            <key>PickerAudioAssist</key>
            <false/>
            <key>PickerMode</key>
            <string>External</string>
            <key>PickerVariant</key>
            <string>Auto</string>
            <key>PollAppleHotKeys</key>
            <true/>
<!--- Change ShowPicker to <true/> as shown below --->
            <key>ShowPicker</key>
            <true/>
            <key>TakeoffDelay</key>
            <integer>0</integer>
            <key>Timeout</key>
            <integer>10</integer>
        </dict>

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
To those who rely upon ProperTree and are trying to come from OC 0.8.6-- Just add Boolean value of "HibernateSkipsPicker" in Boot section is all you need for config.plist change.

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 7.47.16 PM.png13.1 (22C65)

Aquantia and I211 ethernets are (always) on fire 🙂 🙂

mrfatcatt

AMD OS X Member
Hello, im getting this when updating to .0.8.7 is hackindrom..this is from 8.6, if i do a fresh efi and go to 87 i get a million issue- so im just posting the
point update.
Kernel->Patch[23]->Replace requires ReplaceMask to be active for corresponding bits!
Kernel->Patch[24]->Replace requires ReplaceMask to be active for corresponding bits!
CheckKernel returns 2 errors!

Completed validating /var/folders/77/1dj_w62j747f1ffbdy020v1r0000gn/T/HackinDROM/standalone/EFI/OC/config.plist in 1 ms. Found 2 issues requiring attention.

Casey, i tried your other 2 patches for my 10g card and i have the same audio studder issue when clicking carbon. I will upload my efi folder so you can double check everything is ok for this board. im hoping oc 8.7 will get carbon working...please check the quirks as your guide has a few differnt quirks then what i have set from am4 cpu.

I am able to boot pro tools now and using my rme card, if i just can get avb going and it will be good news for the audio community here.

Attachments

• mantra-EFI.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 4

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Your i211 works? What kext do you use?
Yes it work perfecrly
I use this a kext you can find here

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Yes it work perfecrly
I’ve been spending some time lately on my Gigabyte B550 Vision D. The new Ryzen 5 5700X will be installed this weekend, but before that surgery takes place, I’m trying to find and fix as many remaining issues as possible.

I’ll try the i211 driver today — will be quite exciting if it works for me.

I also discovered that no sound is output from the optical digital port so I created a custom AppleALC layout (alcid=20) that fixes the problem. I’ll submit a Pull Request to acidanthera after more testing and refinement.

Microphone and Line-In don’t work with either AppleALC or VoodooHDA. VoodooHDA actually performs auto-discovery of audio layouts. It generates its own pin configurations and path maps, with zero user input! VoodooHDA also provides a nice log dump containing vast amounts of technical detail, but unfortunately those details may not help with microphone/line-in problem because of course they don’t work with this driver.

What’s really unique about VoodooHDA is that it replaces AppleHDA and hence exerts direct register control over the Realtek audio chip. AppleALC, however, is a layer on top of AppleHDA and relies on AppleHDA to control the Realtek chip.

This means it’s technically possible to make experimental changes to VoodooHDA in order to investigate the microphone problem, then find an equivalent patch for AppleHDA or AppleALC.

Last edited:

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
possible.

I’ll try the i211 driver today — will be quite exciting if it works for me.
At this development stage all i211 Ethernet tested work
Also in dual i211 Ethernet as mine😊

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yes it work perfecrly
Also available here, you might recognize the OP

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Also available here, you might recognize the OP

If you read well in thread I have posted you will understand it is not the same kext
Also Shaneee thanked devs for this working kext for all platform

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Hello, im getting this when updating to .0.8.7 is hackindrom..this is from 8.6, if i do a fresh efi and go to 87 i get a million issue- so im just posting the
point update.
Kernel->Patch[23]->Replace requires ReplaceMask to be active for corresponding bits!
Kernel->Patch[24]->Replace requires ReplaceMask to be active for corresponding bits!

Completed validating /var/folders/77/1dj_w62j747f1ffbdy020v1r0000gn/T/HackinDROM/standalone/EFI/OC/config.plist in 1 ms. Found 2 issues requiring attention.

Casey, i tried your other 2 patches for my 10g card and i have the same audio studder issue when clicking carbon. I will upload my efi folder so you can double check everything is ok for this board. im hoping oc 8.7 will get carbon working...please check the quirks as your guide has a few differnt quirks then what i have set from am4 cpu.

I am able to boot pro tools now and using my rme card, if i just can get avb going and it will be good news for the audio community here.

Hello @mrfatcatt,

Please copy PlatformInfo credentials (serial numbers) into the attached config.plist and give it a try. Some comments:
  • The warnings or errors from OC Validate regarding Patch[23] and Patch[24] can be ignored
  • Does the audio stutter with Carbon and other apps/plug-ins also occur on an Intel hack running Ventura? As @ovenlite1 posted previously, perhaps these are not AMD-related issues, but Ventura-related issues

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 3

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
point update.

From the relevant Avid pages, it looks like Ventura is still not officially compatible for both products, though obviously for you and many others Pro Tools can launch just fine. However, I wonder if the lack of Ventura compatibility is playing a deeper role in your issues with using your Carbon device.

I saw that you weren’t a big fan of trying to go back to Monterey, but anecdotally, here’s somebody on the Avid forums using a hackintoshing with Monterey 12.6, Pro Tools, and their Carbon:

No idea if it’s intel or amd, or how exactly they’re connecting it to their machine, but maybe something to think about!

mrfatcatt

AMD OS X Member
@update, still no go..ticking...i will try Monterey and let you know..thanks

Casey ty, i will try now...@oven, good to know...i could go try in Monterey I need to partion a 3rd drive.. i was able to flash the firmware in carbon last night thru ventura, and for now, i have to bring my unit to my other location to test on intel. I could do that Saturday if I cant do a workaround now, Let me see if the update config helps

thanks

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Radeon RX 7900 XT and XTX previews are up on YouTube. No benchmarks, just unboxing and physical tour of the card.

Last edited:

mrfatcatt

AMD OS X Member
Great news!

I CAN CONFIRM CARBON IS WORKING IN Monterey 12.6.1 on a AMD hackintosh system. So its defiantly not the 10g card or the hardware. The issue is Carbon working on ventura, it just doesn't yet!

AND I tried both of CaseySJ 10g patches, they both work!

CASEY you are helping the creative artist in so many ways...I can thank you enough....# 3cheers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.