Ryzen 7000 Testing

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Is it possible to schedule the cores yet?

I'm not a fan of these e cores as they seem to be quite a lot slower than 6700k cores.
Last I heard Mac OS treats them the same which really isn't ideal imo.

I can't tell you practically anything about the Intel 13xxx because they are under NDA... but I have had access to see 13900k benches and it performs better than the 7950x... the E-Cores have improved a lot compared to the 12 series

I had a 12900KF a while ago and it worked like a charm on MacOS, you don't notice anything if there are P and E cores

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Gigabyte AM5 motherboard also has audio and PCIe issue... I think audio can only be fixed with an USB DAC.

The USB DAC does NOT work... I have a USB sound blaster that works perfectly in any of my other hackintosh, and in the 7950x it suffers almost the same cuts as the integrated one.... :rolleyes:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am thinking the same thing, but will wait a few days to see if there’s a BIOS update. If not, I may consider testing a Gigabyte board instead. I haven’t seen any Gigabyte X670(E) board with on-board Thunderbolt, however.

I just ordered the ASUS X670 Creator motherboard, it arrives in about a week. lets see if the audio issues fare a bit better.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I just ordered the ASUS X670 Creator motherboard, it arrives in about a week. lets see if the audio issues fare a bit better.
If the issue was just on-board audio, I could live with that. But we cannot use PCIe NVMe SSDs and we cannot use any PCIe slots other than the primary GPU slot. The Asus ProArt X670E-Creator has on-board Thunderbolt. I wonder if that will work. Also curious whether Aquantia/Marvell 10GbE will work. If Intel I-225V works, then maybe the 10GbE will as well??

svan71

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
If the issue was just on-board audio, I could live with that. But we cannot use PCIe NVMe SSDs and we cannot use any PCIe slots other than the primary GPU slot. The Asus ProArt X670E-Creator has on-board Thunderbolt. I wonder if that will work. Also curious whether Aquantia/Marvell 10GbE will work. If Intel I-225V works, then maybe the 10GbE will as well??
I was concerned ever since I learned 7000 series would have iGPU. We gained graphics none of us will use and possibly lost our ability to hackintosh.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I was concerned ever since I learned 7000 series would have iGPU. We gained graphics none of us will use and possibly lost our ability to hackintosh.
I’m still debating between “hold ‘em” and “fold ‘em”! The optimist in me thinks I should wait a couple weeks for more people to enter the challenge. The pessimist says wait for M2 MacPro or M2 Mac Mini. Real Macs work perfectly, but they’re absolutely nowhere as satisfying as a hand built Hackintosh.

svan71

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Real Macs work perfectly, but they’re absolutely nowhere as satisfying as a hand built Hackintosh.
That's the bottom line right there.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Where did you see that?
There's someone in the Discord server with a Gigabyte motherboard, even with disabled iGPU the internal audio is still garbage.
The USB DAC does NOT work... I have a USB sound blaster that works perfectly in any of my other hackintosh, and in the 7950x it suffers almost the same cuts as the integrated one.... :rolleyes:
AFAIK only DACs with their own "timer" are supposed to work, else they'll be the same as the internal USB audio.

You should try toggling settings in the BIOS that look related to memory or PCIe, maybe you can find one that breaks PCIe in macOS 12+...

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Gigabyte AM5 motherboard also has audio and PCIe issue... I think audio can only be fixed with an USB DAC.
On-board ALC4080 is an USB DAC, so the issue is deeper than that.

The first IOReg posted by @PoMpIs does show a NVMe drive and the i225 NIC with interface 'en0' attached to what should be the "upstream" chipset, so the PCI situation may not be hopeless.
Capture d’écran 2022-10-08 à 09.13.12.png

Have the M.2 slots from the CPU been tested?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
On-board ALC4080 is an USB DAC, so the issue is deeper than that.

The first IOReg posted by @PoMpIs does show a NVMe drive and the i225 NIC with interface 'en0' attached to what should be the "upstream" chipset, so the PCI situation may not be hopeless.
View attachment 7750

Have the M.2 slots from the CPU been tested?
M.2 PCIe slots work, Chipset ones are broken.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I tried the M.2_1 that goes to the CPU and it did not work 😅

They only work in Big Sur
Can you retake BIOS screenshots (with screenshot function of ASUS BIOS) (without AI Tweaker as it should be useless) and upload all of them on imgur? I feel like there might be some interesting ones...

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Can you retake BIOS screenshots (with screenshot function of ASUS BIOS) (without AI Tweaker as it should be useless) and upload all of them on imgur? I feel like there might be some interesting ones...

I already have it without the RL and without the GPU, on Monday they come to get it, and then I buy a Raptor lake...

But the bios is exactly the same, with this update nothing has changed, only a new DOCP profile has appeared, which is DOCP-II 😅

If the Audio worked for me, I wouldn't have a problem using it, but if I can't use the audio, it's no use, and I don't want to be pessimistic, but I don't think the audio is easy to solve.

I leave here the latest EFI, with it I can install Big Sur without any problem, and everything works except Audio, and even if you use an external audio card it doesn't work well... HDMI/DP audio works better, but it has cuts.

In monterey you can install and update the system without problem, but I will not be able to use any NVMe in any of the M.2, and the other PCIe ports even if you put any card will not work, neither the i225v network

In Ventura it's the same as in monterey, you can install the system, and it works fine, but you can't use M.2 or any other PCIe other than the GPU.

The 7950x is a very good processor, but the motherboards are very expensive... with what the 7950x cost me plus the motherboard I have enough to buy a 13900k and a z790 and I suppose that I will have much less problems installing MacOS.

Attachments

• Last EFI 7950x_Asus x670E-F.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 18

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@PoMpIs

I sympathize and agree. AppleVTD is essential these days. On AMD systems VT-d is called either AMD-Vi or IOMMU. They haven’t been compatible in the past and aren’t looking any better today.

Too many compromises…

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
@PoMpIs

I sympathize and agree. AppleVTD is essential these days. On AMD systems VT-d is called either AMD-Vi or IOMMU. They haven’t been compatible in the past and aren’t looking any better today.

Too many compromises…

It's a pity... I like ryzentosh

I have 3 Ryzentosh that work like a charm... two 1600AF and a 5900x...

And I expected that in the Ryzen 7000 it would work... and it would work, I could even coexist perfectly without NVME, which I only use for windows, but without Audio and without network I can't 😭

But I usually have a lot of computers, probably for Christmas I'll get some cheap Ryzen 7700x and B650... hopefully by then you'll have a little better bios

etorix

AMD OS X Member
The 7950x is a very good processor, but the motherboards are very expensive...
B650 should help with that—and from what I see the second chipset in your X670 board does not expose much of what it could provide.
But it will still require a solution to PCI and sound issues, plus a way to enable AppleVTD using AMD-V instead of Intel VT-d.
Thanks for your contribution to hacking Zen 4!

with what the 7950x cost me plus the motherboard I have enough to buy a 13900k and a z790 and I suppose that I will have much less problems installing MacOS.
Er… A 13900K on Z690 is likely to run with little or no problem, but Z790 could bring a class of problems on its own. Hold on a little on that, unless you want another run at being a pioneer on a new platform.

svan71

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Does anyone know if there is a z690 board with dual 5.0 m.2 ? Just wondering.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I think in this case a Ryzen 5800X3D might be a good alternate potential system. Although I’ve not seen any macOS builds for it yet, it’s performance is said to rival that of Alder Lake and Raptor Lake yet still retains the AM4/DDR4/PCIe4.0 specs.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
B650 should help with that—and from what I see the second chipset in your X670 board does not expose much of what it could provide.
But it will still require a solution to PCI and sound issues, plus a way to enable AppleVTD using AMD-V instead of Intel VT-d.
Thanks for your contribution to hacking Zen 4!

Er… A 13900K on Z690 is likely to run with little or no problem, but Z790 could bring a class of problems on its own. Hold on a little on that, unless you want another run at being a pioneer on a new platform.
AppleVTD doesn't matter (except for Aquantia NIC)... Other motherboards work fine without it...

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.