Ryzen 7000 Testing

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** OpenCore Configurator Users **

Please wait a couple of days for version 2.64.1.0 before editing OpenCore 0.8.7 config.plist. Current version supports "development" version of 0.8.7 but not the "release" version. If you use the current version anyway, it will be necessary to make one change manually:

OpenCore Configurator 2.65.0.0 is available now, and complies with the XML schema changes made in OpenCore 0.8.7.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Yes it work perfecrly
I use this a kext you can find here
Many thanks! Been looking for this but every time I find it the file's been taken down. Ventura here I come! 🤟😎

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Radeon RX 7900 XT and XTX previews are up on YouTube. No benchmarks, just unboxing and physical tour of the card.
Had a nice time watching those, if only for the eye candy!

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
If you read well in thread I have posted you will understand it is not the same kext
Also Shaneee thanked devs for this working kext for all platform
His version worked for me, thought I’d get it out there

ToloEnt

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone.
I need help. When the installer starts, (no problem thanks to Casey), the option to install doesn't appear, but to reinstall, but when I try to do it, it tells me that the disk does not have a firmware partition. I've tried everything including Time Machine, various formats, other disk, etc. Any ideas?
Sorry for my English. Thanks.

Asus ROG STRIX X670E-F GAMING WIFI motherboard
Ryzen 7950X
Samsung 980 Pro 1T NVMe

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Hello everyone.
I need help. When the installer starts, (no problem thanks to Casey), the option to install doesn't appear, but to reinstall, but when I try to do it, it tells me that the disk does not have a firmware partition. I've tried everything including Time Machine, various formats, other disk, etc. Any ideas?
Sorry for my English. Thanks.

Asus ROG STRIX X670E-F GAMING WIFI motherboard
Ryzen 7950X
Samsung 980 Pro 1T NVMe
What are the values for these fields: BlacklistAppleUpdate, UpdateSMBIOSMode and CustomSMBIOSGUID?

BlacklistAppleUpdate should be true on all Hackintoshes running Big Sur or above (on older versions, run-efi-updater being "No" in NVRAM is enough).

UpdateSMBIOSMode by default is Create which injects the SMBIOS into every OS booted from OC which is recommended, but if you really don't want this, you can set this to Custom (case sensitive), but that ALSO REQUIRES CustomSMBIOSGUID to be True.

ToloEnt

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for your answer ExtremeXT.
BlacklistAppleUpdate. True

UpdateSMBIOSMode. create

CustomSMBIOSGUID. True.

Should I make changes to these fields?

Thanks again.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Thanks for your answer ExtremeXT.
BlacklistAppleUpdate. True

UpdateSMBIOSMode. create

CustomSMBIOSGUID. True.

Should I make changes to these fields?

Thanks again.
UpdateSMBIOSMode and CustomSMBIOSGUID are paired.
If you want SMBIOS injection in non-macOS OSes:
  • UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Create
  • CustomSMBIOSGUID -> False

If you don't want SMBIOS injection in non-macOS OSes:
  • UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Custom
  • CustomSMBIOSGUID -> True

I suggest the first pair.

Last edited:

svan71

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Radeon RX 7900 XT and XTX previews are up on YouTube. No benchmarks, just unboxing and physical tour of the card.
It will only take 6 months before Apple graciously adds support if they add it at all.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** A Request to Keep this Thread Focused on Fundamental Problem Solving **

It is good to see more people beginning to adopt the AM5 platform.

If you are in the process of installing macOS on your AM5 platform and need assistance with any problem you are facing, can we ask you to create a new thread in one of these areas:

Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 7.20.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 7.21.10 AM.png

Feel free to reference any of our names so we're alerted to your post.

This allows us to keep this thread focused on investigation of fundamental or platform-wide issues such as:
  • Investigate problems with microphone input
  • Investigate problems with Thunderbolt
  • Investigate problems with Intel i211 Ethernet
  • Investigate problems with sleep when cable is connected to Aquantia 10GbE card
  • Investigate new Radeon RX 7900 XT and XTX

Last edited:

ToloEnt

AMD OS X Member
UpdateSMBIOSMode and CustomSMBIOSGUID are paired.
If you want SMBIOS injection in non-macOS OSes:
  • UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Create
  • CustomSMBIOSGUID -> False

If you don't want SMBIOS injection in non-macOS OSes:
  • UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Custom
  • CustomSMBIOSGUID -> True

I suggest the first former.
The solution didn't work, none of the combinations fix the problem, thanks a lot for the help anyway. :)

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
The solution didn't work, none of the combinations fix the problem, thanks a lot for the help anyway. :)
Can you send your config.plist and an image of the problem exactly?

EDIT: Just saw Casey's post, can you create a new thread?

ToloEnt

AMD OS X Member
¿Puede enviar su config.plist y una imagen del problema exactamente?

EDITAR: Acabo de ver la publicación de Casey, ¿puedes crear un nuevo hilo?
Por supuesto, estoy fuera de casa, pero mañana abriré un hilo y subiré los archivos. Gracias por tu interés. :) :) :)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Interim Update #21:
  • It seems that microphone input on PCH-based Realtek audio controllers (not USB-based) is broken on multiple AMD Ryzentoshes
  • This affects my Gigabytye B550 Vision D and @ExtremeXT's Gigabyte B450M DS3H
  • If anyone else is experiencing this issue, please let us know the make and model of the motherboard
  • Investigation performed thus far on Gigabyte B550 Vision D with Realtek ALC-1220:
    • Investigation is taking place on Monterey 12.6.2
    • A custom AppleALC layout (#20) is being used to investigate the problem
      • This layout fixes the Optical Digital Output port, but has not solved the microphone problem so far
    • VoodooHDA was also installed, but it also fails to obtain a microphone signal
    • The following documents were studied and are continuing to serve as references:
  • Some of the experiments carried out are listed below, all of which failed :)(we may have to program them into PinConfig versus applying them on command line):
    • Changing various Processor Coefficients
      • Intel HDA Spec 7.3.3.5 and 7.3.3.6
    • Changing Amplifier Gain / Mute settings
      • Intel HDA Spec 7.3.3.7
    • Changing Pin Widget Control settings
      • Intel HDA Spec 7.3.3.13
    • Querying Pin Sense:
      • Intel HDA Spec 7.3.3.15
  • Behavior in Windows
    • Even Windows struggles a bit with Microphone input despite having the Realtek driver installed
    • It is necessary to remove and insert the microphone jack
    • This triggers a jack-sense event, after which the Realtek driver asks what type of device has been plugged in
    • Once we select Mic, then it operates normally
  • Behavior in Linux
    • Linux also struggles with Microphone input
    • It's also necessary to remove and insert the microphone jack
  • Based on this behavior in Windows and Linux, it seems natural to examine any and all relevant control verbs that are listed in section 7.3.3 of the Intel HDA Spec
    • In macOS we can query and set any verb using alc-verb, which is part of the AppleALC repository
    • My next step is to find equivalent functionality in Linux, then compare settings between Linux and macOS
    • Note that comparing Coefficient values may not be sufficient
      • Coefficient Index (7.3.3.5) and Processor Coefficient (7.3.3.6) are just two of several control verbs
      • We can query all coefficient values in Linux and make them consistent in macOS, but this does not fix the microphone
Update:

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I had an attempt with the audio but the majority of it went over my head :oops: I'm more than happy to test anything you come up with with my X570-F using S1220A. Here's the codec dump I got from an Ubuntu Live USB. Let me know if you need anything else.

Edit: I should also add that I've lost headphones. I'm not sure exactly when it happened though. It must've been an AppleALC update though or Ventura being weird.

Attachments

• codec_dump.txt
    14.2 KB · Views: 8

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@CaseySJ
Since you can now test fixes on your own machine, is it still necessary for my testing? I'll get time tomorrow in weekend to get the VoodooHDA dump.

Also, about your post about Zen 4 settings needed, the SSDT-SBUS-MCHC there likely won't work on most systems because of the wrong ACPI path. On my AM4 motherboard, the path even changed a few times after BIOS updates. I'm not sure if a prebuilt version is feasible for this, but I'll try. For SSDT-EC, the prebuilt Dortania one is better in this case because it also disables the original EC device.
The CustomSMBIOSGUID quirk requires UpdateSMBIOSMode set to Custom, but it's not recommended by the OpenCore developers on systems that don't need it (Dell/VAIO). Other OSes should work fine with the SMBIOS being injected.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ
Since you can now test fixes on your own machine, is it still necessary for my testing? I'll get time tomorrow in weekend to get the VoodooHDA dump.
Would be good to double-check if microphones (both front and rear) work with VoodooHDA. Would also be good to see whether they work "easily" in Windows or whether they need to be hot-plugged to work. I think I can handle the rest on my B550 Vision D. But if anyone has any ideas for what specific avenue to explore, that would be most helpful.

Also, about your post about Zen 4 settings needed, the SSDT-SBUS-MCHC there likely won't work on most systems because of the wrong ACPI path. On my AM4 motherboard, the path even changed a few times after BIOS updates. I'm not sure if a prebuilt version is feasible for this, but I'll try. For SSDT-EC, the prebuilt Dortania one is better in this case because it also disables the original EC device.
The CustomSMBIOSGUID quirk requires UpdateSMBIOSMode set to Custom, but it's not recommended by the OpenCore developers on systems that don't need it (Dell/VAIO). Other OSes should work fine with the SMBIOS being injected.
I've updated the Outline accordingly.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
...Let me know if you need anything else.
Which Layout ID are you using? I'll see why headphones aren't working with that layout.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Which Layout ID are you using? I'll see why headphones aren't working with that layout.

Currently using 11 but I'm sure 1 works or at least did before.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.