Ryzen 7000 Testing

CocaColaCan36

AMD OS X Member
VoodooHDA?

The best option is to create a brand new OpenCore EFI folder and start with fresh installation of macOS.

Have you seen one of the build guides such as this (among others)?
Threw together a new folder and ventura and now am getting this.

Attachments

• IMG_6781.jpg
    IMG_6781.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

twf36

AMD OS X Member
Guys, I don't want to bother you, but it is so that you know that in the new Raptor Lake and an asus z790F gaming there is no problem with the audio nor with the PCIe, everything works... it only changes the integrated network on the board that is an i226v , and OOTB doesn't work, but I guess with Intelmausi it should work..

View attachment 7957

EDIT: Correct, the intel i226v also works OOTB, it had e1000=0 and that's why it didn't load it, it's perfect

View attachment 7959
View attachment 7960

Cheers 🤗
Hey PoMpIs, how are you doing?
I've recently noticed there has been some progress on optimizing Alder/Raptor lake big.little core topology.
Wanted to try and comparing with ryzen 7000 performance.
I have the ASUS strix z790 E-F and 13700k on the intel side.
Any chance you can share your EFI for this motherboard, thank you!

Kubokun

AMD OS X Member
Yes!! We have a winner! :)

Attached below is the manufacturer’s image.

I have one 4-bay NAS that is many years old and two 4-bay direct-attached storage arrays. That’s 12 drives of assorted sizes.

The plan is to replace all 3 units with this 8-bay system running TrueNAS with ZFS. I want to enable deduplication, hence the extreme amount of memory.

The 3 old units have relatively low-capacity HDDs so I’ll replace them with just a small handful of high capacity drives and leave the remaining bays vacant for future needs.

The 12-inch touch screen is a separate item and should arrive early next week. It was a bit of a dance to find a newer control board and requisite cables. Those parts are coming from yet another supplier.

All Zen 4 CPUs have built-in iGPU, so plan is to connect one video output to the touch screen.

View attachment 10347

The mATX (not mini-ITX) has 6 SATA ports so a PCIe X1 card is arriving soon with 4 additional ports.

The non-X Ryzen 5 7600 is a 65W part and comes with an AMD Wraith cooler in the box. I plan to use that for now.

The MSI motherboard has 3 slots:
  1. X16 which I will leave empty for now
  2. X1 for a 4-port SATA expander
  3. X4 (in a long x16 slot) that will accommodate an extra Gigabyte AQC113C 10GbE card that has been sitting on the shelf for several months
I'm using freenas/truenas for years , alway on 24/7 with 8TBx4 Raid0, system Compatibly and performance really surprised me.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I'm using freenas/truenas for years , alway on 24/7 with 8TBx4 Raid0, system Compatibly and performance really surprised me.
Now I know who to turn to for questions!

tcb

AMD OS X Member
7800x3d arrived.
Amazing power efficiency.
X3D.jpg
:)And ryzentosh!
Screenshot 2023-04-08 at 18.39.25.png

Attachments

• x3d.jpg
    x3d.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

tcb

AMD OS X Member

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member

tcb

AMD OS X Member

Vorshim92

AMD OS X Member
Reactions: tcb

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** MSI Motherboard Owners **

When you shut down your MSI motherboard by pressing-and-holding the power button, can you power the system back up by pressing the power button again?

On the MSI B650M Mortar I just received, the following odd behavior is observed:
  • Shutdown the system by holding power button -> system turns off
  • Press power button to turn on the system -> nothing happens
  • Unplug power cable and plug it back in
  • Press power button to turn on the system -> system powers on
Additionally, the MSI splash screen appears once every 3rd or 4th boot -- and sometimes only after CMOS Reset.

I've updated the BIOS to A30 (latest non-beta) via BIOS Flashback because M-Flash didn't work -- BIOS cannot even reboot the system.

The following experiments were tried, but without any real improvement:
  • Used on-board iGPU (no discrete GPU installed)
  • Used discrete Nvidia 1030 GPU (trying to install Windows)
  • Used 2 x 32GB G.Skill memory (EXPO / XMP disabled and enabled)
  • Replaced it with 2 x 16GB G.Skill memory (XMP disabled and enabled)
The CPU is Ryzen 5 7600.

At this point I'm inclined to return the MSI motherboard and switch to a trusty Asus board.

Update:
  • Ubuntu 22.10 is working -- which means the motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU, etc. are all okay
  • Still cannot shutdown and restart without having to unplug power cable

Last edited:

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
** MSI Motherboard Owners **

When you shut down your MSI motherboard by pressing-and-holding the power button, can you power the system back up by pressing the power button again?

On the MSI B650M Mortar I just received, the following odd behavior is observed:
  • Shutdown the system by holding power button -> system turns off
  • Press power button to turn on the system -> nothing happens
  • Unplug power cable and plug it back in
  • Press power button to turn on the system -> system powers on
Additionally, the MSI splash screen appears once every 3rd or 4th boot -- and sometimes only after CMOS Reset.

I've updated the BIOS to A30 (latest non-beta) via BIOS Flashback because M-Flash didn't work -- BIOS cannot even reboot the system.

The following experiments were tried, but without any real improvement:
  • Used on-board iGPU (no discrete GPU installed)
  • Used discrete Nvidia 1030 GPU (trying to install Windows)
  • Used 2 x 32GB G.Skill memory (EXPO / XMP disabled and enabled)
  • Replaced it with 2 x 16GB G.Skill memory (XMP disabled and enabled)
The CPU is Ryzen 5 7600.

At this point I'm inclined to return the MSI motherboard and switch to a trusty Asus board.

Update:
  • Ubuntu 22.10 is working -- which means the motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU, etc. are all okay
  • Still cannot shutdown and restart without having to unplug power cable
So far the best mb for am5 are those produced by asus.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
So far the best mb for am5 are those produced by asus.
The MSI B650M Mortar is just perfect for this application — it has all the features I was looking for:
  • 6 SATA ports
  • 3 PCIe slots with one x16, one x4, and one x1
    • 10GbE card will go into x4 slot
    • 4-port SATA expander will go into x1 slot
    • x16 slot will be reserved for future use
  • Wi-Fi 6E
  • PCIe Lane Splitting into x8/x8 and x4/x4/x4/x4 for the x16 slot
  • BIOS flashback function
  • Passively cooled chipset (no fan)
  • Good price
I’ll try the latest beta BIOS and search the web for similar problem reports. I may try a replacement Mortar before deciding whether or not to replace it with something else.

I’ve noticed 3 problems with my copy of the Mortar:
  1. Power-on first requires power cable to be unplugged and replugged
  2. After saving BIOS changes, system goes into boot loop; have to shutdown, cycle power, and restart
  3. USB ports seem flaky — a key press on keyboard tends to repeat 10 times
UPDATE:
  • I've ordered a new MSI B650M Mortar, this time from Amazon, with next-day delivery
  • My current B650M Mortar is from B&H Photo Video; although they're closed until April 14, RMA has already been received (with prepaid FedEx label) so this board will be returned tomorrow

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Yes!! We have a winner! :)

I too use TrueNas. I use it primarily as my Plex server. Ryzen 5 1600X. 16GB RAM and 5TB of storage. Fulfils my needs just fine. It's just in a regular desktop tower but in the future I'd like to do a similar build to yours with a proper NAS case etc.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Assembly Photo Gallery: With LTT Screwdriver (why not :))...
  • The 8-bay case is "Treasure Nordic" from Ali Express
    • It's quite well built -- panels are relatively heavy duty; not flimsy at all
    • Although body panels are affixed with screws (not tool-less), it's not really an issue
    • Ventilation holes are located in all the right places
    • All panels come off, allowing easier access
    • Does not come with fans so I'm using two Noctua 120mm fans connected to two PWM fan headers on motherboard
    • Case comes with two fan guards which I'll install later
    • Lower front panel that covers and conceals 8 drive bays is magnetically attached

IMG_8910_resize.jpg IMG_8913_resize.jpg IMG_8914_resize.jpg IMG_8917_resize.jpgIMG_8918_resize.jpg IMG_8919_resize.jpg IMG_8921_resize.jpg IMG_8923_resize.jpgIMG_8926_resize.jpg IMG_8911_resize.jpg

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
IMG_8929_resize.jpg IMG_8930_resize.jpg IMG_8934_resize.jpg IMG_8943_resize.jpg IMG_8945_resize.jpg IMG_8949_resize.jpg IMG_8953_resize.jpg IMG_8955_resize.jpg IMG_8976_resize.jpg IMG_8977_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.