Ryzen 7000 Testing

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The MSI B650M Mortar is just perfect for this application — it has all the features I was looking for:
  • 6 SATA ports
  • 3 PCIe slots
  • Wi-Fi 6E
  • PCIe Lane Splitting into x8/x8 and x4/x4/x4/x4 for the x16 slot
  • BIOS flashback function
  • Passively cooled chipset (no fan)
  • Good price
I’ll try the latest beta BIOS and search the web for similar problem reports. I may try a replacement Mortar before deciding whether or not to replace it with something else.

I’ve noticed 3 problems with my copy of the Mortar:
  1. Power-on first requires power cable to be unplugged and replugged
  2. After saving BIOS changes, system goes into boot loop; have to shutdown, cycle power, and restart
  3. USB ports seem flaky — a key press on keyboard tends to repeat 10 times
UPDATE:
  • I've ordered a new MSI B650M Mortar, this time from Amazon, with next-day delivery
  • My current B650M Mortar is from B&H Photo Video; although they're closed until April 14, RMA has already been received (with prepaid FedEx label) so this board will be returned tomorrow
Hopefully the new board takes care of all this odd issues. Wondering if any of it those power on/ power off could be related to the PSU.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Hopefully the new board takes care of all this odd issues. Wondering if any of it those power on/ power off could be related to the PSU.
I have another PSU on hand (a full size ATX) so I'll try that today.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I have another PSU on hand (a full size ATX) so I'll try that today.
@leesurone,

That was a good suggestion: Power on/off issue is due to FLEX power supply. Testing with an EVGA 850W SuperNova solves this problem, but other issues remain.

PSU is being returned to Amazon, but being replaced by a more expensive unit also from Amazon.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ Did you try to update newest bios from Gigabyte site?
Yes, I installed the latest BIOS from MSI (not Gigabyte). In fact I flashed it twice. If any BIOS changes are made, it's virtually impossible to get this board to boot. If CMOS Reset is performed, it will boot.

For TrueNAS we need to disable Secure Boot, so that's the one and only change I'm making to BIOS. Result: It does not want to boot. :(

Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@leesurone,

That was a good suggestion: Power on/off issue is due to FLEX power supply. Testing with an EVGA 850W SuperNova solves this problem, but other issues remain.

PSU is being returned to Amazon, but being replaced by a more expensive unit also from Amazon.
I've had pretty good success with MSI boards in general, intel and AMD chipsets. I wouldn't have hesitated buying it, in fact I don't remember why I didn't and went with the Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX instead. Probably it was cost related being its not my daily driver, it was about $50 less s that was probably why. I know you'll get it sorted out one way or the other and I'll be staying tuned for updates.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Disable any RAID options
Enable UEFI Boot and Disable Legacy Boot
And remember set the Display Output to Internal iGPU instead of AUTO
I was able to install TrueNAS Scale -- or at least it went to 90% and seemed to hang in the final "finishing installation" step.

The power supply and motherboard have now been removed and put back in their original packaging for return shipment.

I'll try again when new board and PSU arrive sometime tomorrow.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I've had pretty good success with MSI boards in general, intel and AMD chipsets. I wouldn't have hesitated buying it, in fact I don't remember why I didn't and went with the Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX instead. Probably it was cost related being its not my daily driver, it was about $50 less s that was probably why. I know you'll get it sorted out one way or the other and I'll be staying tuned for updates.
I really like the MSI BIOS. This was my first time using it. In fact I was extremely surprised (pleasantly) to see that Lane Splitting is even available! I have been thinking of using a PCIe x16 adapter with 4 NVMe slots. There are two varieties of these adapters: Those that rely on motherboard's built-in splitting or bifurcation capability, and those that provide bifurcation themselves by using a more advanced (and costly) ASMedia chip. The former are much cheaper than the latter.

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
i created a new ssdt for am5, for more info see the link

Kubokun

AMD OS X Member
@leesurone,

I think Enhance 450W Flex-ATX is a better choice for this case , I'm using 600w version of this and got nothing to complain but the noise of fan - it sound like a jet fighter engine 🤣

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Wish I had tuned in earlier! I've also encountered issues with these super small PSUs and powering on after a shut down. My most disappointing was an APU build I did for a family member using a fan-less Gallium Nitride PSU that was perfect for their simple browsing/email needs, but wouldn't turn back on after shut down unless you unplugged it first. Not ideal haha. I was told by others on forums and the person from the company I dealt with that it was a known issue between the motherboard I was using and the PSU, but never found out why! Hoping the new Flex PSU you get today works out! excited to see it all come together

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
Wish I had tuned in earlier! I've also encountered issues with these super small PSUs and powering on after a shut down. My most disappointing was an APU build I did for a family member using a fan-less Gallium Nitride PSU that was perfect for their simple browsing/email needs, but wouldn't turn back on after shut down unless you unplugged it first. Not ideal haha. I was told by others on forums and the person from the company I dealt with that it was a known issue between the motherboard I was using and the PSU, but never found out why! Hoping the new Flex PSU you get today works out! excited to see it all come together
How are you with the x670e-i wifi? I was undecided whether to buy it, then I opted for the b650e-i for my reason that the tb4 I did not need.
Does everything work for you? Then send me a log ioreg, thanks.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
... I've also encountered issues with these super small PSUs and powering on after a shut down. ... wouldn't turn back on after shut down unless you unplugged it first. ...
I hope this isn't a general problem with all or most Flex power supplies. The new 500W PSU is coming today so I'll report back as soon as I can.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
I hope this isn't a general problem with all or most Flex power supplies. The new 500W PSU is coming today so I'll report back as soon as I can.
In my latest case it was a new GaN psu from a company called HDPlex, that I think (and hope) can be attributed to being such a new product release with kinks that needed to get worked out. In the other bad experiences it was a cheaper silverstone one and some obscure brand I found on amazon, but idk if anyone is surprised that I had issues with that one ha. I wised up, didn't cheap out and went for higher quality silverstone, enhance, and fsp and had not troubles! Fingers crossed this one will work better!

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
How are you with the x670e-i wifi? I was undecided whether to buy it, then I opted for the b650e-i for my reason that the tb4 I did not need.
Does everything work for you? Then send me a log ioreg, thanks.
So far, so good! I had one bad hiccup a little while ago that I brought up on this thread, but I'm almost positive it was caused by a bad gpu riser cable with my current case. Other than that it's been super solid and was an easy build, though that's probably thanks to all the kind folks here. Swapping out the stock wireless card is more of a pain than in previous builds, but if you're patient and careful it should be fine. I may be moving back to larger form factor motherboard in the coming months, but will certainly be keeping this little guy around. I'll try and remember to DM you that ioreg log tonight!

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
I also changed the wifi card, it was not easy but I succeeded.
Ok thanks for the log.

etorix

AMD OS X Member
I have one 4-bay NAS that is many years old and two 4-bay direct-attached storage arrays. That’s 12 drives of assorted sizes.
As you probably know, ZFS is not too good at accommodating that. Drives in the same vdev are best identical, or of very similar size (it's possible to have different vdevs with drives of different sizes tough, there will be a performance penalty as the vdev with more free space will get more writes, but no space penalty).

The plan is to replace all 3 units with this 8-bay system running TrueNAS with ZFS.
"ZFS is not a backup", so keeping another NAS (off-site and/or off-line) to back up the first is recommended.
I want to enable deduplication, hence the extreme amount of memory.
Ouch! Dedup is best avoided, really…
64 GB RAM is not even "extreme". There's a recommended minimum of 16 GB, scaling up with storage space (rule of thumb: 1 GB RAM per 1 TB data for a start, relaxing at some point). For making full use of a 10 GbE link, make that 32 GB to have a larger ARC and enough space to hold the write cache (= 2 transaction groups; by default, that would be 10 seconds worth of data @ 10 Gb/s, so up to 12 GB). In this light, 64 GB is "just" a reasonable size to serve a 100+ TB pool over 10 GbE.
Extra services (jails, VMs, dedup…) come with their requirements on top of that. For dedup, the rule of thumb is an extra 5 GB per TB of deduped data to hold the dedup table (DDT, like its namesake it is a rather toxic affair…).

There's little point in dedup'ing only a few TB—which is all that 64 GB would support.
If this is mostly static data, one may get away with dedup and only 64 GB by throwing in a 280 GB Optane 900p drive to serve as persistent L2ARC (possibly "metadata-only" L2ARC) to hold the DDT. But the best way is to avoid dedup and just rely on built-in compression (lz4 or zstd) to do its job. 64 GB is, coincidentally, the recommended minimum to consider a L2ARC.

All Zen 4 CPUs have built-in iGPU, so plan is to connect one video output to the touch screen.
I suppose that display would be fed from a VM since TrueNAS only outputs a rather boring administrative console…

The mATX (not mini-ITX) has 6 SATA ports so a PCIe X1 card is arriving soon with 4 additional ports.
Re-ouch! That SATA card is likely a liability. ZFS really wants to deal with the SATA controller built into the chipset or with a SAS HBA (LSI 2008/2308/3008—no RAID controller), and to own the controller in either case, but nothing else.

Any option to reconsider part of the build at this stage and go for either:
  • An AsRockRack B650D4U motherboard (8 SATA and likely the best possible support for ECC RAM with Ryzen);
  • A C236/C246 Intel motherboard with matching Core i3 (for serving files to Macs through SMB, which is single threaded, few cores at high clock is enough);
  • A (refurbished) Xeon E5v3/4 system (again, a low core part is enough); or
  • A (refurbished) Xeon D-1500 or (new) Atom C3000 system (lower clocks for SMB… but terrific low power NAS platform otherwise)?
The last two options take RDIMM, which is a great way to fill up a system with RAM for cheap.

The MSI motherboard has 3 slots:
  1. X16 which I will leave empty for now
  2. X1 for a 4-port SATA expander
  3. X4 (in a long x16 slot) that will accommodate an extra Gigabyte AQC113C 10GbE card that has been sitting on the shelf for several months
Driver support for AQC NICs is TrueNAS is, at best, dubious. Solarflare NICs have good drivers, and a PCIe 3.0 SFN7122FF card costs $50 on eBay.
With a LSI 9200 (sufficient for HDDs) or 9300 (for SATA SSDs) in the other long slot, there are just enough slots. The x1 slot is essentially useless in a server.

Now I know who to turn to for questions!
Don't forget the TrueNAS forum ;)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@etorix,

Informative feedback. Some quick replies:
  • This unit will be populated with new hard drives (14TB each)
  • This is a secondary NAS
  • Primary NAS is QNAP, that will rsync or otherwise backup to this system
  • Primary NAS contains a lot of Hackintosh full-system backups; there are many duplicated data blocks, which is why I'm interested in de-duplication
  • There are new discussions arguing that de-duplication does not necessarily require as much RAM as we fear it does; there's no better way to know than to actually try it
  • Only 4 or 5 bays will be populated first; the remaining will be a different vdev

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.