Ryzen 7000 Testing

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
A new project about to begin... What could it be? ;)

IMG_8882.jpgIMG_8884.jpgIMG_8883.jpg

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
A new project about to begin... What could it be? ;)
Very cool! Swapping out or a completely new, different machine? I'm sure we'll also see soon enough haha

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Very cool! Swapping out or a completely new, different machine? I'm sure we'll also see soon enough haha
As more parts arrive, the puzzle will begin to take shape... ;)

(It is a completely new ‘thing’.)

06-Apr:
Next piece of the puzzle should be here on Monday.

Last edited:

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Good teaser (for now, it looks like yet another regular PC) but… a delivery on Easter Monday? :unsure:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
What are folks' thoughts about using TB add in cards with motherboards that support them? Say, for example, the ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 with a mATX board with the appropriate internal header? I do not require hotplug. I don't know if I'm imagining things because I can't find it now, but I want to say that I've read somewhere that add in card support has been known to be problematic. Is that true?

This is such a first world problem, but I did not realize how much I appreciated the simplicity of having a displayport input on the motherboard and using a single thunderbolt cable to connect my TB4 dock/monitor to other machines. Barring the mATX/add in card option, the only other boards that I know of with onboard USB4/TB and DP input is Asus ProArt, which is certainly an option, but I've grown accustomed to having so much more free space available after going ITX. Again, first world problems ;)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
What are folks' thoughts about using TB add in cards with motherboards that support them? Say, for example, the ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 with a mATX board with the appropriate internal header? I do not require hotplug. I don't know if I'm imagining things because I can't find it now, but I want to say that I've read somewhere that add in card support has been known to be problematic. Is that true?

This is such a first world problem, but I did not realize how much I appreciated the simplicity of having a displayport input on the motherboard and using a single thunderbolt cable to connect my TB4 dock/monitor to other machines. Barring the mATX/add in card option, the only other boards that I know of with onboard USB4/TB and DP input is Asus ProArt, which is certainly an option, but I've grown accustomed to having so much more free space available after going ITX. Again, first world problems ;)
A Thunderbolt add-in-card should work when devices are connected and powered before boot (i.e. no hotplug). The Asus ThunderboltEX4 is a Maple Ridge card whereas:
  • ThunderboltEX3 is Alpine Ridge
  • ThunderboltEX3-TR is Titan Ridge
Do you have the option to try EX3-TR?

An even better option may be a flashed GC-Titan Ridge.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
A Thunderbolt add-in-card should work when devices are connected and powered before boot (i.e. no hotplug). The Asus ThunderboltEX4 is a Maple Ridge card whereas:
  • ThunderboltEX3 is Alpine Ridge
  • ThunderboltEX3-TR is Titan Ridge
Do you have the option to try EX3-TR?

An even better option may be a flashed GC-Titan Ridge.
I'm not sure! The idea was to pair the add in card with the TUF B650M board, since it's got the thunderbolt header and the EX4 specifically lists the board as being compatible. Having never used one, I'm not sure if these headers are compatible with the previous-gen controllers. For my purposes, Titan Ridge has certainly been sufficient previously. That being said, what would be the benefit of going Titan Ridge over Maple? Better MacOS compatibility? Doing a quick search, I think availability may limit me to the newer Maple Ridge card haha

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I'm not sure! The idea was to pair the add in card with the TUF B650M board, since it's got the thunderbolt header and the EX4 specifically lists the board as being compatible. Having never used one, I'm not sure if these headers are compatible with the previous-gen controllers. For my purposes, Titan Ridge has certainly been sufficient previously. That being said, what would be the benefit of going Titan Ridge over Maple? Better MacOS compatibility? Doing a quick search, I think availability may limit me to the newer Maple Ridge card haha
The new EX4 should be fine. Would be best to buy from somewhere that accepts easy returns in case that’s needed.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
The new EX4 should be fine. Would be best to buy from somewhere that accepts easy returns in case that’s needed.
Super good to hear, thanks for your input. If I can somehow stick with a small-ish case and have my single thunderbolt cable setup, I might be able to have my cake and eat it too :ROFLMAO:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Good teaser (for now, it looks like yet another regular PC) but… a delivery on Easter Monday? :unsure:
Looks like the first new part is delivering today…

etorix

AMD OS X Member
The headers may not be compatible across manufacturers, but it is not necessary to use the header. One can mix and match, or use a Thunderbolt AIC is a card without header.
Titan Ridge is supported by macOS: Hot plug works; a flashed GC-Titan Ridge can enable the Thunderbolt bus and work exactly like a Mac. Finding a GC-TR may indeed be THE issue.
Maple Ridge is not supported by macOS: Cold plug should work; hot plug is not guaranteed; also updating Thunderbolt firmware beyond NVM 31 removes support for older Thunderbolt 1 and 2 devices.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
how about the case? So excited for this build.
Expected to arrive on Monday. Once you see it the gig will be up — the puzzle pieces will be nearly complete.

There should be a nice twist…

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Expected to arrive on Monday. Once you see it the gig will be up — the puzzle pieces will be nearly complete.

There should be a nice twist…
Aarg, it arrived early. Wasn't expecting it today, but no complaints...

The twist is yet to come. :)

Can anyone find the official image?

IMG_8898_resize.jpg IMG_8895_resize.jpg IMG_8900_resize.jpg IMG_8899_resize.jpg

CocaColaCan36

AMD OS X Member
Hello evIMG_6775.jpgeryone, I've seen only a few posts with my issue but I haven't really found a fix. I'm getting this log when I try and install Ventura. I'm brand new to everything so I apologize.

This is my hardware:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core Processor, 4501 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
MotherBoard MSI B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7D75)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
TrueNAS build @CaseySJ ?
Yes!! We have a winner! :)

Attached below is the manufacturer’s image.

I have one 4-bay NAS that is many years old and two 4-bay direct-attached storage arrays. That’s 12 drives of assorted sizes.

The plan is to replace all 3 units with this 8-bay system running TrueNAS with ZFS. I want to enable deduplication, hence the extreme amount of memory.

The 3 old units have relatively low-capacity HDDs so I’ll replace them with just a small handful of high capacity drives and leave the remaining bays vacant for future needs.

The 12-inch touch screen is a separate item and should arrive early next week. It was a bit of a dance to find a newer control board and requisite cables. Those parts are coming from yet another supplier.

All Zen 4 CPUs have built-in iGPU, so plan is to connect one video output to the touch screen.

IMG_8901.jpeg

The mATX (not mini-ITX) has 6 SATA ports so a PCIe X1 card is arriving soon with 4 additional ports.

The non-X Ryzen 5 7600 is a 65W part and comes with an AMD Wraith cooler in the box. I plan to use that for now.

The MSI motherboard has 3 slots:
  1. X16 which I will leave empty for now
  2. X1 for a 4-port SATA expander
  3. X4 (in a long x16 slot) that will accommodate an extra Gigabyte AQC113C 10GbE card that has been sitting on the shelf for several months

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Hello evView attachment 10346eryone, I've seen only a few posts with my issue but I haven't really found a fix. I'm getting this log when I try and install Ventura. I'm brand new to everything so I apologize.

This is my hardware:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core Processor, 4501 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
MotherBoard MSI B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7D75)
VoodooHDA?

The best option is to create a brand new OpenCore EFI folder and start with fresh installation of macOS.

Have you seen one of the build guides such as this (among others)?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.