Ryzen 7000 Testing

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
How did your TB4 setup come to be?
only activated the standard option in my motherboard BIOS
What did you have to do to make it work?
see above
Does it still need an SSDT or so?
I dont use any SSDT and the only problem is "hotplug".
below thunderbolt and USB4 ioreg screenshot

1674558684862.png
1674558811154.png
1674558900682.png

1674558966225.png

to be more exhaustive possible these screenshots are as Ventura sees this disk (on external tb case)

agent2

Donator
Donator
We can simply enable Thunderbolt in BIOS. Because the SSDT on a non-flashed controller is for enabling hot plug only, it is not needed here. We’ll have to connect Thunderbolt devices before boot.

One experiment to try is to connect a Thunderbolt dock before boot. Then see if Thunderbolt devices will hot plug to the dock.
Ah awesome! I shall soon have a look on my Zen 4 PC if this works. This sounds much better than the previous Thunderbolt adventures I used to follow. Thank you very much for your patience!

agent2

Donator
Donator
only activated the standard option in my motherboard BIOS

see above

I dont use any SSDT and the only problem is "hotplug".
below thunderbolt and USB4 ioreg screenshot

View attachment 9552
View attachment 9553
View attachment 9554

View attachment 9555

to be more exhaustive possible these screenshots are as Ventura sees this disk (on external tb case)
Thank you very much to you too for providing these useful screenshots! Why doesn't macOS see the controller in system report?

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Simple: Get a Gigabyte Titan Ridge card, preferably on a motherboard with a 5-pin header; hot plug with a SSDT, full Thunderbolt bus by flashing the card with a custom firmware. Do not buy into Maple Ridge if you need dependable Thunderbolt.
Efforts to make Maple Ridge work have stalled, and I'm not sure if there is still work ongoing.
no problem on windows 10 with the titan ridge flashed ?

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Why doesn't macOS see the controller in system report?
maybe @CaseySJ could answer in a technical way than me :)
no problem on windows 10 with the titan ridge flashed ?
I was using my titan ridge (flashed whit NV23 Elias firmware , not remember well te exact name, and I have it working in windows 11 (I used the same external case to boot in windows and inside the same disk I use now on AM5 TB4)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
... Why doesn't macOS see the controller in system report?
When Thunderbolt Bus is not activated, System Report will always say:
  • Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge: No drivers are loaded
  • Maple Ridge: No hardware was found
macOS recognizes the device IDs of Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge, but it does not recognize Maple Ridge, which has these device IDs:
  • 0x1136 (Thunderbolt Bridge)
  • 0x1137 (Native Host Interface or NHI)
  • 0x1138 (Maple Ridge USB controller)
However, macOS still works with Maple Ridge when devices are connected before boot. This happens because macOS checks the Class Code of the device. If the Class Code is 060400 (if my math is correct) and the Vendor ID is 0x8086 (Intel), then macOS attaches the Thunderbolt driver anyway.

Last edited:

etorix

AMD OS X Member
OK bro idk if you understood what my context for the question, I have a X670E Gene Ryzentosh in my household right now, and I can't go buy a TR card just like that, I was wondering how far the community has gotten with onboard TB4/USB4 controllers. So yeah your solution is known to me and a good one, but completely unrelated to what we all are discussing.
I think I had a reasonable command of the situation and my situation was spot on:
Apple has never used Maple Ridge in a real Mac, and quite possibly never will. MacOS has no driver for Maple Ridge. All efforts to spoof it as Titan Ridge have failed, and the Maple Ridge firmware has not yet been extracted. Save for the "minor miracle" with Asus Z690 boards (Asus only) with Big Sur (Big Sur only), which is not relevant to your Ryzen system, Maple Ridge has never been made to work to macOS standards (hot plug) : No Z590/Z690/Z790/X670 motherboard; no Maple Ridge AIC.
Cold plug is possible, with no guarantee it won't break at some point; this is far from optimal—but if this's workable, good for you.

So the short answer to your question was: No, Maple Ridge doesn't work as a Mac user would like.

You may not like the message, but don't shoot the messenger!

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Some corrections / background on Maple Ridge:
  • On Intel systems we can spoof Maple Ridge NHI to Titan Ridge; this causes System Report to change from "No hardware was found" to "No drivers are loaded"
  • The "minor miracle" on Asus Z590 and Z690 boards happens in Big Sur, but only when we spoof the NHI device ID from 0x1137 (Maple Ridge) to 0x15EB (Titan Ridge); after that, the on-board Maple Ridge controller works quite well (Thunderbolt Bus is fully populated)
  • The minor miracle has also been confirmed on Asus Z790 with the latest Asus Maple Ridge add-in-card; the Asus custom header must be connected; again only Big Sur
  • On Intel systems hot plug with Maple Ridge can work, but it may not be consistent
  • Some Thunderbolt 4 docks/hubs may exhibit various connection issues
  • Maple Ridge firmware has been extracted from a Gigabyte GC-Maple Ridge add-in-card, but all attempts to modify the firmware were unsuccessful in enabling Thunderbolt Bus

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
maybe @CaseySJ could answer in a technical way than me :)

I was using my titan ridge (flashed whit NV23 Elias firmware , not remember well te exact name, and I have it working in windows 11 (I used the same external case to boot in windows and inside the same disk I use now on AM5 TB4)
Could PM me your flash file please ?

Last edited:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Now that my Hackitosh is aproaching a decent level of stability and I wont be going in and out of the BIOS as much I wanted to ask, how can I disable the crazy long RAM check every time I boot up?

I am running the ROG 0805 bios.

Have any of you guys enabled "context restore" in the DRAM menu?

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@ryzen7000Users :)
take a look to SATA behaviour on different OS:

132.jpg

13.01.jpg

how can I disable the crazy long RAM check every time I boot up?
1674632857678.png
are you following this specification for our chip before pushing it a bit?

also with 4 dimm my system boots in about 16 seconds (and I have also alla Sata ports fulfilled

I have add long boot in my initial journey because I have done some dumb installation errors

Long time, about 15 minutes could happen if you reset Cmos

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
So internal SATA CD/DVD drives do not work in 13.2?

If so, someone on TonyMac reported the same issue a day or two ago. They have a Hitachi drive that does not mount optical media.
Yes I think it is the same with my Pioneer
1674645582645.png

I have tested on both my internal controller (ASMedia (2 SATA ports) and AMD (4 SATA ports)

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yes I think it is the same with my Pioneer
View attachment 9561

I have tested on both my internal controller (ASMedia (2 SATA ports) and AMD (4 SATA ports)
I wonder if the old Mac "Super drives" will work especially now that USB 3.x supports higher power delivery.

I always wondered if I should pick one up for posterity's sake whenever I saw one at the Apple Store or Best Buy...

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
are you following this specification for our chip before pushing it a bit?

DDR5-5200 ?

Where do these numbers come from?

I am using this RAM kit and it runs at 6000 MHz in Windows 11 with EXPO enabled in the BIOS.

I am asking if it is a limitation of MacOS that they should run at 5200 MHz?

also with 4 dimm my system boots in about 16 seconds (and I have also all Sata ports fulfilled

I have add long boot in my initial journey because I have done some dumb installation errors

Long time, about 15 minutes could happen if you reset Cmos

my initial boot was also long although nowhere near 15 minutes. probably a very long 4 or maybe 5 minutes max.

getting the ram properly seated was harder than it should have been with this build.

you have not changed the "context restore" setting to enabled in the BIOS?

(I am told this prevents the long RAM check after every power cycle but have not. tried it myself).

camonz

AMD OS X Member
Would you mind posting your EFI?

I have not been able to boot into the installer using @mariettosun 's EFI . I can make it to the installer using @CaseySJ 's EFI but the install hangs after several minutes for both Monterey and Ventura.
Sure. Here's my config.plist

If you're having issues installing the best course of action is to update your MB BIOS & follow CaseyJ's guide.

Also important to do your own MMIO dump if any hardware is diff it might end up with different addresses.

Attachments

• Config.plist
    47.9 KB · Views: 5

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Sure. Here's my config.plist

If you're having issues installing the best course of action is to update your MB BIOS & follow CaseyJ's guide.

Also important to do your own MMIO dump if any hardware is diff it might end up with different addresses.
Thank you sir!

I have actually been up and running since Sunday 1/22/23 using @mariettosun 's EFI. still I would like to compare his EFI with yours to see if it may be improved.

screen-shot-2023-01-22-at-7-40-21-pm-png.9535

does SLEEP work for you? my X670E Hero build refuses to wake up from sleep and sometimes needs a CMOS Reset to recover from this.

Apparently @mariettosun has no issues with SLEEP and I want to figure out why I am having issues since I am using his EFI.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.