Ryzen 7000 Testing

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The core count is the same, but the PCI zombie patch needs to be added (probeBusGated).

Update:
We also need MMIO Whitelist entries. This is done by running Debug version of OpenCore.efi with:
  • config.plist --> Misc --> Debug --> Target = 0x67
An OpenCore log file will be created in the top folder of the EFI partition. It will contain MMIO Whitelist entries. Feel free to post that file.

Will do this tonight. hopefully OC 0.87 will be out by then so I can start with the latest and greatest.

I may send you my config.plist to add the Aquantia patches.

i'm super bummed about the x16 slot on my X670E Creator. as an update, and a reversal of the accepted social order, the Fenvi card works fine in windows when plugged into the top x16 PCI slot of my motherboard. but this will not do. but at least I Know the top slot works.. at least in x4 mode. (or less)

also, if I have a 2.5 slot GPU in the second x8 PCI slot, I may not have enough space in the 3rd (and only) x4 slot on this motherboard for the Fenvi card.

when I unboxed the internal USB header cable of the Fenvi T919 (bluetooth) last night the pins came loose so I have only tested WiFi which works fine. (actually I haven't Tested it exactly, I can tell you it shows up in Device Manager.)

I wanted to disable Intel Wifi in the motherboard before actually connecting the Fenvi to WiFi but my ghetto ass Walgreens USB keyboard has had it from me mashing the F2 and DEL keys all weekend trying to troubleshoot GPU issues and may need replacing.

this build is not going very smoothly gents.

also, b/c I have 4 RAM sticks and GPU issues, it takes an annoyingly long time to boot "white" and start driving my screen.

if only this went as smoothly as my AM4 build. :rolleyes:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
Do you know if TSC/FSB fix is specifically for AM5 platform, or it can also affect AM4 as well?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Do you know if TSC/FSB fix is specifically for AM5 platform, or it can also affect AM4 as well?
It applies to AM4 as well. It actually applies to nearly all recent Ryzen CPUs regardless of chipset.

etorix

AMD OS X Member
- The SSDT-CPUR prebuilt from Dortania might not work on some motherboards, as it excepts the cores to be named C000.
Actually it expects the cores NOT to be named C000 in scope _SB.PLTF, since it was it does is defining stubs which macOS understands. How teh stubs are named is irrelevant as long as it does not collide with the existing processor devices in ACPI devices.

- Isn't it better to disable the iGPU from the BIOS instead of an SSDT?
Whenever possible yes. But a SSDT which specifically disables the iGPU for macOS may be useful for dual booting Linux or Windows.

- IIRC AppleALCU isn't needed for USB audio, can anyone verify this?
As far as I understand, AppleALCU is indeed irrelevant for working USB audio but it does a number of side fixes, such as sound output through the dGPU.
Like Whatevergreen, it's possible to run macOS without but it's probably safer to include anyway.

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
Oooooh can’t wait then—- hopefully this could fix my weird USB wakeup issue
It applies to AM4 as well. It actually applies to nearly all recent Ryzen CPUs regardless of chipset.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Actually it expects the cores NOT to be named C000 in scope _SB.PLTF, since it was it does is defining stubs which macOS understands. How teh stubs are named is irrelevant as long as it does not collide with the existing processor devices in ACPI devices.
Incorrect, it excepts the cores to be C000 for it to define cores named PR00 as a "clone" to C000 ones for macOS to use.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I have a Gigabyte B550 Vision D with Ryzen 7 3700x so now I am tempted to upgrade that to Ryzen 5 5600X and install my AQC-107. Also want to fix the two on-board Intel i211 ports.
The Ryzen 5 5600X sold out quickly during the Black Friday / Cyber Monday craze so I ordered the Ryzen 7 5700X. Just received it. The second item in my signature below will soon receive an organ transplant and a new limb (10GbE AQC-107). ;)

IMG_7858.jpg

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I posted this on TonyMac earlier today. Pipe dream? Or intriguing possibility?

Radeon 7900 XT and XTX ship next Tuesday.

I think it’s likely that Apple will support the new Radeon RX 7900 XT and 7900 XTX (NAVI 3x) ‘soon’. I have no insider information of course. This is just speculation based on lack of Apple Silicon successor to Mac Pro this year, and historical record. When the 6800/6900 were released, Apple introduced the driver into macOS before releasing a 6800/6900 add-on card for Mac Pro.

Last edited:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Galve2000

As for your PCI slot. Have you inspected it for any damage? The fact that the Fenvi works in it means it's pins further along. You may be able to fix this yourself or even better swap it under warranty.

no signs of visible damage. that said, I didn't look at it TOO closely. will do so tonight.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member

I hope so badly that it will happen, but not sure if I hope badly enough to make a purchase as soon as next week.

It would make sense to me, with no product of their own that can compete, that they’d eke out at least one more generation of compatibility with amd gpus. Fingers crossed!

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I hope so badly that it will happen, but not sure if I hope badly enough to make a purchase as soon as next week.

It would make sense to me, with no product of their own that can compete, that they’d eke out at least one more generation of compatibility with amd gpus. Fingers crossed!
Radeon 7900 XT and XTX are likely to sell out quickly, so this is going to be a tough call. I may attempt to purchase the lower priced 7900 XT and keep it unopened for a while. I actually prefer reference models because they contain a USB-C output.

Last edited:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Radeon 7900 XT and XTX are likely to sell out quickly, so this is going to be a tough call. I may attempt to purchase the lower priced 7900 XT and keep it unopened for a while. I actually prefer reference models because they contain a USB-C output.
Agreed. May I ask why the XT vs XTX? Do you think there may be a difference in MacOS compatibility later on or is it just personal preference?

unforsaken

AMD OS X Member
Greetings eveyone,

A while ago I embarked on a journey of getting my ASUS ROG X670E-I (ITX) setup, working with MacOS Big Sur (at first), but since I'm not a "hardcore" tech savvy, I decided to search for information on the web (forums, videos, repositories, etc.) and I'm really glad and thankful I've found this nice community. So without further due, I thank everyone involved for all the hard work and energy in making this possible, specially @CaseySJ and @ExtremeXT.

So, after finding this forum thread/topic, I immediately tried CaseySJ's early (around 60 pages back) EFI and I was lucky enough it worked for me "almost OOTB". OpenCore allowed me to do an offline install of Big Sur and boot into the OS as well. Sadly, I found myself with some caveats due to this board bringing/having an MT7922A WiFi module and I225V not working back then, I didn't have any way to connect OS to the internet because of the lack of options (hardware) I had and the current fixes available now (LAN, WIFI and SOUND).

Finally, after catching up with the information provided here, overly modifying my EFI config and testing over and over, I can finally say I have Ventura 13.0.1 working on my current setup.

Here's the happy result :D:
X670E-I Ventura.jpg

I also want to point out that (again, due to my lack of expertise) at first, I didn't carefully check the motherboard to make sure if the WiFi module could be replaced or not, so I assumed I couldn't change it, which was a very lazy mistake. So I want to thank @PoMpIs (gracias amigo) for sharing his EFI with me to test it and for sharing pictures of the Hero version and the ITX version of the X670E here where you can clearly see we can swap the WiFi module sitting on the NGFF M.2 slot.

Here are some pictures I took for reference:

MT7922A22M-AX210NGW.png

I replaced it with an Intel AX210NGW because I wanted to try my luck with the itlwm (OpenIntelWireless) drivers which was suggested by CaseySJ to me and sure thing they worked for my Big Sur (AirportItlwm.kext) and Ventura (itlwm.kext) installs. So far no issues, although I wouldn't know about any special feature, since I don't have Apple devices nearby to test.

I will also attach the ACPI/SSDT files I'm using with this board in case anyone needs them. And if anyone want to check out my current EFI (OpenCore 0.8.7) conf, let me know.

PS: My current build is in my signature.

Thank you! I'll be back for more!

Attachments

• SSDT-X670E-I.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 12

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
AppleALCU is indeed irrelevant for working USB audio but it does a number of side fixes, such as sound output through the dGPU
Could you explain this? which motherboard chipsets and with what dGPUs systems could have some benefit?
Thank you

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

I'd tend to 'pipe dream'.
For previous generations, there were hints like device ids in the drivers long ahead of support.
Apple does only support GPUs they use/sell themselves, currently there are no hints of a W7900. Last time they had to ship new MPX modules as AMD discontinued Vega and they needed a high end replacement for the Mac Pro. Since SPR is still delayed they apparently cancelled the rumoured Intel Mac Pro refresh that would warrant a new generation of GPUs in favour of going directly to the Apple Silicon Mac Pro.

Apple has increased rate of ending support for old hardware to clean up the migration to Apple Silicon as fast as possible.
I don't think they have any interest in adding additional drivers on the Intel side. They still sold the 2013 MacPro at its original price point in 2019, so they are not above and beyond selling outdated hardware to pro customers without an upgrade path.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Agreed. May I ask why the XT vs XTX? Do you think there may be a difference in MacOS compatibility later on or is it just personal preference?
I generally make a premeditated, deliberate and unwavering decision to avoid the high end at all costs! :) My preference would have been the 7800 XT if they had announced it.

The technology world moves quickly and today’s top end becomes tomorrow’s mid to low end. I used to place more emphasis on what I wanted rather than what I needed. Today I try to strike a balance even though that balance is still tilted towards the want side of the equation.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** OpenCore 0.8.7 Officially Released **

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 8.10.48 AM.png

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Could you explain this? which motherboard chipsets and with what dGPUs systems could have some benefit?
Thank you
That's a hint I got from the documentation of… WhateverGreen:
How do I get HDMI audio to work?
In general it should be enough to rely on AppleALC automatic HDAU correction. It renames the device to HDAU, and injects missing layout-id and hda-gfx (starting with onboard-1) properties.
Beyond managing ALC codecs, AppleALC "corrects" the sound part of video outputs, and possibly fixes other sound-related things to make the system more Mac-like. Since AppleALC(U) is not necessary at all for USB-based codecs, I infer that "AppleALCU" is just the part of AppleALC which handles these system fixes. (I admit I have not studied the code to confirm.)
"AppleALCU" is a terrible misnomer since it deals neither with ALC chips nor with USB sound, but the bottom line is that it's best to have some version of this kext in the EFI folder.

etorix

AMD OS X Member
I generally make a premeditated, deliberate and unwavering decision to avoid the high end at all costs! :) My preference would have been the 7800 XT if they had announced it.
Then, why not wait for RX 7800 (XT) to be announced? Contrary to macOS support, which is uncertain, we can be fully confident that these parts will come—once AMD has extracted enough money from early RX 7900 adopters.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.