Ryzen 7000 Testing

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Will work on RtcMemoryFixup momentarily.

Audio garbling/static frequency depends on the source, roughly as follows:
  • Playing video from YouTube -- garble/static about 5-7 seconds apart
  • Streaming music from Apple Music (subscription) -- virtually continuous
  • Playing music through external USB DAC and Amp -- virtually continuous
    • I have a separate DAC with its own ESS Sabre chip connected to a separate headphone amp; both are powered by an external linear power supply; DAC is connected to computer via USB port
Will work on Monterey soon. I'm trying to stabilize Big Sur as much as possible before proceeding. This allows me to better keep track of variables.
Good point about fixing everything on Big Sur.

Does "virtually continuous" mean it works fine? 😅
What about YouTube with an USB DAC?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Good point about fixing everything on Big Sur.

Does "virtually continuous" mean it works fine? 😅
What about YouTube with an USB DAC?
No, the garbling is virtually continuous (with any source feeding the outboard DAC)! :)

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@CaseySJ
Can you upload the EFI you're using? I'll check if I can improve anything under the hood.

svan71

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Alder Lake CPU have "only" 20 PCIe lanes, compared with 24 for Ryzen 7000 (16+2*4). So you're out of luck, unless a manufacturer decides on a weird splitting of these lanes instead of the intended 16+4.
My hope then is z790 and raptor lake are has hack friendly as z690, alder lake. My real hope is x670 will work out.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ
Can you upload the EFI you're using? I'll check if I can improve anything under the hood.
The reboot problem that was triggering a POST message very similar to below screenshot (rom Dortania website) was due to my Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT. I'll work on a solution later.

cmos-error.d7acd2cd.png.jpeg

The most recent EFI for Asus Crosshair X670E Gene is attached, but PlatformInfo credentials have been redacted. It's based on release version of OpenCore 0.8.5 and uses OpenIntelWireless drivers for WiFi and Bluetooth, hence the larger size.

Attachments

• Asus-X670E-Gene-Test-EFI-OC-085-REL.zip
    28.2 MB · Views: 15

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Sorry to here that @PoMpIs,

I'm wondering for the non-working M.2 slots, if you'd ever needed AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext installed?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Here's the very latest EFI for Asus Crosshair X670E Gene -- only tested on Big Sur at this time.
  • This version disables Thunderbolt SSDT to avoid the BIOS error on boot; Thunderbolt devices should work if connected before boot
  • An extraneous USB controller has been disabled
  • ACPI patch added to fix loading of AmdTable (SSDT-3.aml)
  • Sleep/Wake are working -- need to disable "Wake for network access" in System Preferences --> Energy Saver
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 6.34.06 PM.png

Attachments

• Asus-X670E-Gene-Test-EFI-OC-0.8.5.zip
    28.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

craighazan

Donator
Donator

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Here's the very latest EFI for Asus Crosshair X670E Gene -- only tested on Big Sur at this time.
  • This version disables Thunderbolt SSDT to avoid the BIOS error on boot; Thunderbolt devices should work if connected before boot
  • An extraneous USB controller has been disabled
  • ACPI patch added to fix loading of AmdTable (SSDT-3.aml)
View attachment 7778
For the AmdTable SSDT a cleaner solution would be to ACPI patch it instead of dropping the whole table and re-injecting it with OpenCore. Why did you add SSDT-DTPG?
For the SATA drives you can enable ExternalDriveIcons to set them as internal, and Innie for NVMe (PCIe in genera drives.

USBPorts Hackintool maps don't work properly on AMD, you should use USBToolBox or SSDT mapping (not sure why though, USBToolBox is much easier...)

etorix

AMD OS X Member
For the AmdTable SSDT a cleaner solution would be to ACPI patch it instead of dropping the whole table and re-injecting it with OpenCore.
Nothing is dropped; this is indeed a patch… and as shown it's disabled anyway. :unsure:
Why did you add SSDT-DTPG?
General purpose method, to be used by (future) Thunderbolt SSDTs among others.

I wonder why USB ports are defined both by SSDTs and by kexts but @CaseySJ must know what he's doing.
This is going to be very interesting to follow.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Nothing is dropped; this is indeed a patch… and as shown it's disabled anyway. :unsure:

General purpose method, to be used by (future) Thunderbolt SSDTs among others.

I wonder why USB ports are defined both by SSDTs and by kexts but @CaseySJ must know what he's doing.
This is going to be very interesting to follow.
They can include the DTGP inside the Thunderbolt SSDT, or better yet, use the _DSM method which is preferred for injecting properties.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
They can include the DTGP inside the Thunderbolt SSDT, or better yet, use the _DSM method which is preferred for injecting properties.
Thunderbolt SSDT calls DTPG() from within _DSM methods. One can also question why the file name is SSDT-DTGP while the method inside is DTPG. It’s just a historical artifact from the day when hot plug on Thunderbolt was first enabled on Hackintosh.

The real issues remain the same as before:
  • Staticky audio playback in all current versions of macOS
  • No PCIe devices working in Monterey and Ventura
I’ll try under volting later today or tomorrow.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** Under Volting Test **

Followed Optimum Tech's suggestions from the video below to make these changes in BIOS:
  • Curve Optimizer -- CPU under-volted by 20 units
  • PBO PTT (Power Limit) -- 85W
This significantly reduces temperatures and power consumption while having a very small impact on performance. Alas, with or without NB Azalia disabled in BIOS, audio remains staticky as follows:
  • Audio through HDMI/DP has the least static
  • Audio through external DAC has 'fairly' regular static
  • Audio through built-in Line Out port is extremely garbled and completely worthless
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 5.56.05 AM.png

Last edited:

jsl2020

AMD OS X Member
Will work on RtcMemoryFixup momentarily.

Audio garbling/static frequency depends on the source, roughly as follows:
  • Playing video from YouTube -- garble/static about 5-7 seconds apart
  • Streaming music from Apple Music (subscription) -- virtually continuous
  • Playing music through external USB DAC and Amp -- virtually continuous
    • I have a separate DAC with its own ESS Sabre chip connected to a separate headphone amp; both are powered by an external linear power supply; DAC is connected to computer via USB port
Will work on Monterey soon. I'm trying to stabilize Big Sur as much as possible before proceeding. This allows me to better keep track of variables.
My FX-6300 hackintosh had the similar audio issue in the past, but it can be fixed by set correct FSBFrequency at DataHub:
Please try it if the others were not working yet !

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 20.59.28.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-10 at 20.59.28.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 11

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
My FX-6300 hackintosh had the similar audio issue in the past, but it can be fixed by set correct FSBFrequency at DataHub:
Please try it if the others were not working yet !
Hmm, according to OpenCore's documentation (search for FSBFrequency), that doesn't work on Intel Skylake or newer, not sure if it applies to AMD CPUs though, so it's worth a try. Should we get the correct value from a SysReport dump? I saw it listed there.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
FSBFrequency should be set to match what the motherboard is setting. The BIOS will tell you this.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Hmm, according to OpenCore's documentation (search for FSBFrequency), that doesn't work on Intel Skylake or newer, not sure if it applies to AMD CPUs though, so it's worth a try. Should we get the correct value from a SysReport dump? I saw it listed there.

FSBFrequency should be set to match what the motherboard is setting. The BIOS will tell you this.
The attached SysReport (CPU) includes FSB Frequency, which is 102272740 for my Ryzen 7 7700X, Trying this now.

Attachments

• CPUInfo.txt
    882 bytes · Views: 3

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@CaseySJ if that makes no difference please try 100000000

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ if that makes no difference please try 100000000
The previous value made no difference. Will try this now. The only change I'm making is shown in the red box. If other changes are needed, I can include them.
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 7.05.22 AM.png

UPDATE: Alas 100000000 seems a little worse than 102272740. With HDMI/DP audio, the latter produces longer passages without static. But in both cases, USB DACs and Line-Out are unchanged (i.e. still awful). ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.