Ryzen 7000 Testing

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Do the xattr stuff, sorry wrong command up above!!! ;)

Given that you copy the whole Xonotic folder into Application folder:

/usr/bin/xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Xonotic/Xonotic.app

Well, nothing has happened, it's still the same 🤷

61929AD8-84F8-4E4C-902A-55ABD18CA7C3.jpeg

PS:
I'm going to sleep, tomorrow if there's something else to try I'll do it..

Thank you very much everyone, I'm having a great time🤗

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I'd say it's all looking promising. I'd love to jump on the testing train with possibly the ASUS AMD Ryzen TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS. Uses Realtek LAN so in theory should work. But at £955.46 for CPU, motherboard and RAM I just can't afford to upgrade.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
I'd say it's all looking promising. I'd love to jump on the testing train with possibly the ASUS AMD Ryzen TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS. Uses Realtek LAN so in theory should work. But at £955.46 for CPU, motherboard and RAM I just can't afford to upgrade.
AMD are holding an event tomorrow for the introduction of the B650 boards. I like the Gigabyte B650I Aorus Ultra.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Does this mean USB audio (e.g. Realtek ALC4050 and ALC4080) will be okay?

When we use iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 with an AMD GPU, we get DRM without any problem.

By the way, were you able to fully install macOS with the EFI folder I posted above? If so, which version (Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura)?
Yes it should be. ALC4080 normally requires use of AppleALCU (U for USB). Have you tried doing that @PoMpIs?

However I think there's an extra issue here - it sounds like it may be the audio from both the IGPU and/or dGPU are interfering somehow with the system. Not sure if we need to submit to Acidanthera the newer AMD IGPU audio codec device-ids. I know they had identified the 15xx series before for Raven/Picasso but maybe not the 14xx which these are (for Raphael).

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@PoMpIs Try audio while something like Geekbench is running, AFAIK audio works fine unless the CPU is not in idle on APUs. As @Middleman said, try getting AppleALCU.

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Yes it should be. ALC4080 normally requires use of AppleALCU (U for USB). Have you tried doing that @PoMpIs?

However I think there's an extra issue here - it sounds like it may be the audio from both the IGPU and/or dGPU are interfering somehow with the system. Not sure if we need to submit to Acidanthera the newer AMD IGPU audio codec device-ids. I know they had identified the 15xx series before for Raven/Picasso but maybe not the 14xx which these are (for Raphael).

@PoMpIs Try audio while something like Geekbench is running, AFAIK audio works fine unless the CPU is not in idle on APUs. As @Middleman said, try getting AppleALCU.

Guys , I have the same audio chip and GPU in my Alder lake and I don't need anything, not even AppleALCU to make it work for crystal clear sound...

But I have tried what you have told me, I have tried AppleALCU, and also to have cinebench in loop while I watch youtube... Still the same, there is no difference... unusable audio 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• Mac Pro de PoMpI-s.zip
    878.5 KB · Views: 2

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Does this mean USB audio (e.g. Realtek ALC4050 and ALC4080) will be okay?

When we use iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 with an AMD GPU, we get DRM without any problem.

By the way, were you able to fully install macOS with the EFI folder I posted above? If so, which version (Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura)?

Yesterday I think I did not explain myself well with WEG..

In Ventura, the Ryzen need WEG+agdpmod=pikera to have DRM, my 5900x needs it and my ryzen 1600AF need it, it doesn't matter if it's iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1... on the other hand, the intel ones don't need it, my alder lake does not need WEG and has DRM..

Now the Ryzen 7000, as I expected, do not need WEG or agdpmod=pikera, and they still have DRM, because now they have the same instructions as the intel ones... and the less Kext they use, the more I like it

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Guys , I have the same audio chip and GPU in my Alder lake and I don't need anything, not even AppleALCU to make it work for crystal clear sound...

But I have tried what you have told me, I have tried AppleALCU, and also to have cinebench in loop while I watch youtube... Still the same, there is no difference... unusable audio 🤷‍♂️
Can you try disabling AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement and SMCAMDProcessor?

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Can you try disabling AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement and SMCAMDProcessor?

Tested.. all the same, the audio works but it is choppy and distorted

I see little future for audio in Ryzen 7000 :eek: ...because the same audio chip on the B660 and z690 board works OOTBCaptura de pantalla 2022-10-04 a las 10.46.26.png

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Tested.. all the same, the audio works but it is choppy and distorted

I see little future for audio in Ryzen 7000 :eek: ...because the same audio chip on the B660 and z690 board works OOTBView attachment 7587
AFAIK it's related to the CPU timer, and that might be the case here too because of the TSC problem...

Does sleep mode work?

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
APUs always had distorted sound due to timer issues. Might also be related to the iCPU.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
APUs always had distorted sound due to timer issues. Might also be related to the iCPU.
Maybe it'll get fixed when ASUS allows disabling the iGPU...

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 6.30.33 PM.pngYou'll also notice in the above screen that a device using IONDRVFramebuffer remains active. I can tell you this is actually used by the AMD IGPU. How do I know this? Because this is exactly the same framebuffer setting I have for my Atari VCS which has a Ryzen 1606G Picasso APU. Despite not having any acceleration I am able to use the GPU at 4K output on Big Sur. As Raphael has support for OpenCL and OpenGL it would be interesting to see if we can get Metal support for it also.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Is the audio still distorted when using HDMI/DP Audio? If I recall from when I had my G series using a USB dongle worked flawlessly so I'm surprised that the onboard "USB" audio isn't working correctly.

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
sleep works, but waking it up restarts 🙈..

@Shaneee the audio through HDMI/DP sometimes sounds good, sometimes bad, if I move the video later it tends to be distorted...

I also expected alc4080 audio to work perfect and OOTB, as it works on the asus B660😦

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.