AMD Rayon R7 5800H Install Monterey kernel Panic

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, the Monterey kernel panic problem has been solved for AMD R7 5800H notebook installation. It is a great thing that the CPU can now run on 8 cores. Thank you guys very much.Thank them for discovering the problem and providing kernel patches @ExtremeX@Visual

Brand: Lenovo
Model: Legion 5 6th Gen
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800h
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600m 8GB ( Separate GPU mode)
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Ram: x2 8GB 3200mhz ddr4
Display: 15.6 1080p 165HZ

Updated October 5, 2023
Problems solved:
1. You do not need to disable XHCI
2. The microphone problem is rectified
3. Monitor brightness can be adjusted, only in Ventura

Unresolved issues:
Failure to wake from sleep

Attachments

• EFI-2023-10-5.zip
    40 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Solution
Panic from Monterey 12.6
View attachment 7258
Thanks. I looked at the sched_prim.c file in the XNU Kernel source code (nice of Apple to let us know exactly where to search) and found that it's related to the TSC (Time Stamp Counter) Syncronization of the CPU cores. The section of the code which gives the panic is: https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/xnu/blob/xnu-8020.140.41/osfmk/kern/sched_prim.c#L2836
Unfortunately Apple didn't update the XNU Source Code for macOS 12.6 yet, but I still managed to find the place where it calls the panic.
Image 1 is the code of XNU that panics if the time between cores does not match (not syncronized properly).

As seen when comparing the Big Sur and Monterey code (Image 2), Big Sur...

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I am using the efi in my post #269 with GenericXHCI.kext enabled as well
Okay you may want try this one first >

I noticed you didn't have a USBX in there, nor PMC.aml. Normally you do need to use SSDT-EC-USBX plus the XHC SSDTs together because it handles the power.
USBInjectall is just the connections map. For laptops SSDT-PMC is required. I've also added the SBUS-MCHC for the Serial Bus which handles the sound chip and other functions.

Also the placement of your USBMap is wrong. Everything must come after Lilu/AppleALC & VirtualSMC and it should be near the middle-bottom.
Technically Whatevergreen should also be there. I haven't added it in but you should.

I have disabled GenericXHCI on this one because it should now work as is.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.7 MB · Views: 7

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member

I noticed you didn't have a USBX in there, nor PMC.aml. Normally you do need to use SSDT-EC-USBX plus the XHC SSDTs together because it handles the power.
USBInjectall is just the connections map. For laptops SSDT-PMC is required. I've also added the SBUS-MCHC for the Serial Bus which handles the sound chip and other functions.

Also the placement of your USBMap is wrong. Everything must come after Lilu/AppleALC & VirtualSMC and it should be near the middle-bottom.
Technically Whatevergreen should also be there. I haven't added it in but you should.

Ok…. Will try these changes Monday. I tried adding whatevergreen once and when I do, the screen stays black at boot. But, that might be because I don’t have agdpmod=pikera, which is needed for my desktop RX 6600 to work. (This was working without agdpmod=pikera so I never added it.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
HI, can you try installing Monterey? I wonder if Monterey will cause a kernel Panic when installed on other laptops with R7 5800H
No, not if you've set the SSDT-CPUR correctly.

motorbott

AMD OS X Member
I tried Proxmox and failed miserably. Technically it should have worked but I kept getting a black display. I gave up on it. I could not get Graphics enabled
Try kvm in Ubuntu, that worked on my dell g5 5505(4800h+5600m), and the gpu was successfully passed through. However you will need an external display as well as extra mouse and keyboard

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
It's very sad, well, at least it works. But alas, you will also have to stay on windows, since it is not comfortable to use the system with VESA, maybe in the future what people will come up with to circumvent this problem:)
@lev12345,

I forgot to mention but I did remember others saying the Vega chipsets supposedly uses DDR ram for the video allocation.
So you could try and add this to the Vega's device properties in config.plist and see if it brings up any better performance or more VRAM:

Key: framebuffer-patch-enable
Value: 01000000
Type: DATA

Key: framebuffer-unifiedmem
Value: 00000080

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
So folks,

I just thought of something. I think it would be great if you could also do an IOReg dump of your current 5800H system.
It might be interesting to see how it compares to a desktop based one like mine. Potentially we may find our answer
to the cpus=1 puzzle.

lev12354

AMD OS X Member
@lev12345,

I forgot to mention but I did remember others saying the Vega chipsets supposedly uses DDR ram for the video allocation.
So you could try and add this to the Vega's device properties in config.plist and see if it brings up any better performance or more VRAM:

Key: framebuffer-patch-enable
Value: 01000000

Key: framebuffer-unifiedmem
Value: 00000080
Hello, nothing has been added, the interface has become a little faster.

lev12354

AMD OS X Member
So folks,

I just thought of something. I think it would be great if you could also do an IOReg dump of your current 5800H system.
It might be interesting to see how it compares to a desktop based one like mine. Potentially we may find our answer
to the cpus=1 puzzle.
I hope I sent you what you asked.

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_142801.jpg
    IMG_20220619_142801.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • Mac Pro — lev.ioreg.zip
    457.9 KB · Views: 4

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I hope I sent you what you asked.
Thanks for this and I’ll see what I can find.
But I think I may need @OGNerd’s IOReg dump as well.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
So folks,

to the cpus=1 puzzle.
Ok, will do this monday

alexjaixd

AMD OS X Member
I guess If we wanted a laptop with a 6600M with higher possibility to be hackintoshed we should have gotten this piece of overprice tech 🤣

View attachment 6121

EDit: Not, that price is silly and with that money may as well buy an M1 max
@Jo-Toku Just want to let you know I just went on HP's site and apparently there's an option to spec the Fury 15 G8 to your own custom specs. So I just went with some minimal options plus the W6600M option ticked. The price turned out to be not so bad, around $2300-2400ish. Definitely not a bad choice if someone is looking for a high end Hackintosh laptop with discrete graphics in my opinion.

Link for the options page if anyone is considering this : https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/Confi...yId=3074457345620032821&urlLangId=&quantity=1

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Jo-Toku Just want to let you know I just went on HP's site and apparently there's an option to spec the Fury 15 G8 to your own custom specs. So I just went with some minimal options plus the W6600M option ticked. The price turned out to be not so bad, around $2300-2400ish. Definitely not a bad choice if someone is looking for a high end Hackintosh laptop with discrete graphics in my opinion.

Link for the options page if anyone is considering this : https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/Confi...yId=3074457345620032821&urlLangId=&quantity=1

Wow, Nice! Yikes, ships in September, you must have a lot of patience!

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member

With the EFI you supplied, as is, it hangs at Realtek kext, (photo attached), I am going to try whatevergreen.kext next, but last time I tried it, it would boot to a blank screen.

IMG_0224.jpeg

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member

Here is after whatevergreen.kext is installed and enabled. (Working on the IOReg dump now....)

IMG_0225.jpeg

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Here is after whatevergreen.kext is installed and enabled. (Working on the IOReg dump now....)

View attachment 6226
Ok. Alright then I guess remove the Realek Ethernet kext if you have to, to one that corresponds to your spec.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Ok. Alright then I guess remove the Realek Ethernet kext if you have to, to one that corresponds to your spec.
The realtek is the correct kext, it works on my efi.

Here is my ioreg dump...

Attachments

• Ioreg.txt
    3 MB · Views: 3

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
I also tried Monterey, but there is only one difference, the system starts up faster, but the graphics also slow down.
What about your USB Ports? Are they working under Monterey?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.