Ryzen 7000 Testing

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Great post but it should probably be in a Thread of its own, not on page 69. So it is better seen and the others with Aquantia Ethernet issues can also join in testing.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Great post but it should probably be in a Thread of its own, not on page 69. So it is better seen and the others with Aquantia Ethernet issues can also join in testing.
This is the same methodology we used in the early days to debug the PCI device problem (10-bit Extended Tag Fields). I want to see what else we can do with it. The ultimate goal is to find a way to bypass AppleVTD in Monterey and Ventura. That would benefit the entire AM5 and AM4 platform.

I think it would be helpful to create a Table of Contents for this thread. I can do that tomorrow by creating a new thread in Chit Chat, or perhaps I can create a new post here that could be moved to Post 1 position.

Last edited:

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ

If I don't manually set it to 1Gbps, the i225v always connects to 100Mbps. Does the same thing happen to you?

Captura de pantalla 2022-11-21 a las 0.31.38.png

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
About restrictevents
Try to put in your config.plist iMacPro 1.1 smbios
Adjust usb kext mapping if you use
You should be able to update with delta update
With MacPro7.1 many users have the same problem @PoMpIs wrote above

For me it is no so big problem because I like graphical interface MacPro 7.1 has in memory panel
With the use of restrictevents kextgraphics of dimm became like if you use iMacPro1.1
And this could be a track to open a bug tracker on axidanthera girhub

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Is this a problem on some AM5 motherboards in particular? But on other AM5 boards (non-USB), the microphone works?

In other words, is this an AppleALC Layout problem, specifically with pin configuration of the inputs and outputs? If it's a pin configuration problem, we can create a new AppleALC Layout. I've documented the procedure here:

I already tried a custom AppleALC layout, but the microphone still wasn't working.
About restrictevents

For me it is no so big problem because I like graphical interface MacPro 7.1 has in memory panel
With the use of restrictevents kextgraphics of dimm became like if you use iMacPro1.1
You can enable only CPU name patching by adding revpatch=cpuname to NVRAM near revcpuname or boot-args.

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
You can enable only CPU name patching by adding revpatch=cpuname to NVRAM near revcpuname or boot-args.
thanks @ExtremeXT but this not solve the main problem...Delta update does not work also limiting the kext

for now the only way I have found in my system is to use iMacPro1.1 Smbios
But to see unknown is not a big problem for me

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Good time to consider Zen 4 as prices have been reduced as follows:
  • 7600X down $50
  • 7700X down $50
  • 7900X down $75
  • 7950X down $125

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Very interesting observation. So RestrictEvents on AMD interferes with incremental macOS updates?
Not from my experience, I use RestrictEvents and rev-cpuname in my EFI, I am using iMac19,1 though.

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 2.07.35 PM.png@CaseySJ p

1669036468671.png

Please an if then for this family! :) :)

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Not from my experience, I use RestrictEvents and rev-cpuname in my EFI, I am using iMac19,1 though.
Why? You won't get hardware encoding/decoding or DRM with an iMac SMBIOS and no Intel iGPU.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Why? You won't get hardware encoding/decoding or DRM with an iMac SMBIOS and no Intel iGPU.
Sure, but I prefer to watch and listen on my M1 Air attached to Apple Thunderbolt Display. This build is good for creative stuff like the Affinity Apps, eats paths and layers for breakfast!.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Sure, but I prefer to watch and listen on my M1 Air attached to Apple Thunderbolt Display. This build is good for creative stuff like the Affinity Apps, eats paths and layers for breakfast!.
What's the reason for using iMac19,1 though?

craighazan

Donator
Donator
What's the reason for using iMac19,1 though?
It was the +15K Metal benchmark in GB5 for my Sapphire RX 580, I started with MacPro7,1 but it wasn't working for me. For my use on this build I'm not concerned with green screens, I'd prefer the better GPU performance.

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
About restrictevents

I prefer to use MacPro7.1...

It is not a problem for me that instead of showing 7950x it shows intel xeon W 😄

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I prefer to use MacPro7.1...

It is not a problem for me that instead of showing 7950x it shows intel xeon W 😄
We can always disable RestrictEvents, reboot, perform incremental update, then re-enable it.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@PoMpIs How has your experience with the AM5 system been? Did you find any new issues, incompabilities or stability issues?

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
We can always disable RestrictEvents, reboot, perform incremental update, then re-enable it.
or to use iMacPro1.1..or better to try to open an issue on the acidanthera bugtracker
but it is a problem only some AMD users have
So it is difficult to find a good way to say

a similar problem have Intel users with a bluetootfix kext
I can't see any open bug tracker on it

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member

@PoMpIs How has your experience with the AM5 system been? Did you find any new issues, incompabilities or stability issues?

Answer for both:

The problem when doing what CaseySJ says, in my system every time I reactivate Kext and reboot for it to take effect, the first boot attempt restarts before reaching the desktop, and the next attempt if everything returns to normal

If I never activate it that never happens..

That Kext to the Ryzen with MacPro7.1 smbios is not doing well at all

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Answer for both:

The problem when doing what CaseySJ says, in my system every time I reactivate Kext and reboot for it to take effect, the first boot attempt restarts before reaching the desktop, and the next attempt if everything returns to normal

If I never activate it that never happens..

That Kext to the Ryzen with MacPro7.1 smbios is not doing well at all

it is a problem related to Nvram where some datas is stored
but too much effort to debug with few hope to be listened (only AMD problem and only using MacPro 7.1 Smbios)

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
or to use iMacPro1.1..or better to try to open an issue on the acidanthera bugtracker
but it is a problem only some AMD users have
So it is difficult to find a good way to say

a similar problem have Intel users with a bluetootfix kext
I can't see any open bug tracker on it

With smbios iMacPro1,1 I need to use WEG and agdpmod=pikera ... to have DRM

With MacPro7,1 that is not necessary... and I like it better that way 😁

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.