Ryzen 7000 Testing

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
I have only had the FENVI in the intel...

In the AMD I have that one from ebay..

Does it work to import from the iPhone?
In my case it imports file both from iPhone and Mac
Camera in FaceTime does not work
Also in photo booth it does not work
Always a black screen
It is connected but bkackbscreen

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I have tested how the beta updates are going now... I like to live on the edge :LOL:

everything has gone well
No problem installing Ventura 13.1 beta 3.

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 9.59.44 AM.png

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
And yes, the hero with the latest official bios has the option to disable the iGPU

Does the sound issue fix if you disable the iGPU using SSDT while keeping iGPU enabled in BIOS. i rarely use windows but I would like to use the iGPU at least in Windows and enabling same in the BIOS every time is kind of a pain.

I had a blank screen when I 1st ran Photo Booth after my 5950X hackintosh told me I could use continuity camera, but since then I get a black screen saying "there is no connected camera"

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Does the sound issue fix if you disable the iGPU using SSDT while keeping iGPU enabled in BIOS. i rarely use windows but I would like to use the iGPU at least in Windows and enabling same in the BIOS every time is kind of a pain.
The sound issue is fixed by the OpenCore patch. We can enable the iGPU in BIOS without any issue. In macOS, the iGPU will work fine, but without graphics acceleration. We can also use a SSDT to hide iGPU from macOS.

On my Asus X670E Gene, iGPU is enabled in BIOS, but hidden from macOS via SSDT.

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
In my case it imports file both from iPhone and Mac
Camera in FaceTime does not work
Also in photo booth it does not work
Always a black screen

Well, you're right... in the Ryzen the continuity camera doesn't work...

If I connect it via USB, it has once given a signal, but after one second it turns black.

I have tested on Intel and it works perfect, even on an old and slow Lenovo 520s, with an i3 7100u an iGPU HD620, in which I have the same wifi card as in the Ryzen

@ExtremeXT

Something strange happens with my EFI... I have tried again to do a clean installation, and then update to 13.0.1 .. and this always comes out:

Captura de pantalla 2022-11-20 a las 19.56.13.png

I click accept, hit update again and it works... do you have any idea why that happens?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Well, you're right... in the Ryzen the continuity camera doesn't work...

If I connect it via USB, it has once given a signal, but after one second it turns black.

I have tested on Intel and it works perfect, even on an old and slow Lenovo 520s, with an i3 7100u an iGPU HD620, in which I have the same wifi card as in the Ryzen

@ExtremeXT

Something strange happens with my EFI... I have tried again to do a clean installation, and then update to 13.0.1 .. and this always comes out:

View attachment 8643

I click accept, hit update again and it works... do you have any idea why that happens?
Might be because of RestrictEvents, try disabling it temporarily. If not, let it fail more times until it downloads the full 11GB package.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Quick Update on Aquantia 10GbE:
  • I tried the following experiments to see if the 10GbE card would connect and work in Monterey 12.6.1:
    • IONetworkingFamily from Monterey 12.0.x --> insert via new snapshot into --> Vanilla Monterey 12.6.1
    • IONetworkingFamily from Monterey 12.0.x --> insert via new snapshot into --> Frankenstein Monterey 12.6.1
      • FrankenMon has AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from Big Sur
  • In both cases, the driver is fully instantiated, but when Ethernet cable is connected, nothing happens
    • System Preferences --> Network says cable is not connected
    • System does not hang because, again, macOS does not sense cable connection
Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 10.59.20 AM.png
  • When we use standard IONetworkingFamily.kext, Ethernet cable connection is detected, a self-assigned IP is assigned, and shortly thereafter the system hangs
Another experiment would be to import IONetworkingFamily from Big Sur into Monterey 12.6.1 via a new snapshot, but that version does not support my AQC-113C. It only supports AQC-107, which I do not have.

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
Quick Update on Aquantia 10GbE:
  • I tried the following experiments to see if the 10GbE card would connect and work in Monterey 12.6.1:
    • IONetworkingFamily from Monterey 12.0.x --> insert via new snapshot into --> Vanilla Monterey 12.6.1
    • IONetworkingFamily from Monterey 12.0.x --> insert via new snapshot into --> Frankenstein Monterey 12.6.1
      • FrankenMon has AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily from Big Sur
  • In both cases, the driver is fully instantiated, but when Ethernet cable is connected, nothing happens
    • System Preferences --> Network says cable is not connected
    • System does not hang because, again, macOS does not sense cable connection
View attachment 8647
  • When we use standard IONetworkingFamily.kext, Ethernet cable connection is detected, a self-assigned IP is assigned, and shortly thereafter the system hangs
Another experiment would be to import IONetworkingFamily from Big Sur into Monterey 12.6.1 via a new snapshot, but that version does not support my AQC-113C. It only supports AQC-107, which I do not have.
Tell me the instructions and send me the Big Sur IONetworkingFamily kext to inject and I can tell u how it turns out. AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily would be appreciated also.

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Might be because of RestrictEvents, try disabling it temporarily. If not, let it fail more times until it downloads the full 11GB package.

I understand...

But the full installer is not necessary, when accepting the first time there are occasions that it offers me the full installer, but I restart and only the update comes out, not the full installer...

I'm going to try without Restricted events..

Thank you very much!!! 🤗

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ
Have you enabled force aquantia quirk?
In Big Sur aquantia Ethernet needed of a kext patch
In latest system and opencore that quirk was added
But in amd system as you know never worked

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
I'm going to try without Restricted events..

Thank you very much!!! 🤗
For me it is that kext to inhibit delta update
Also Bluetooth fix kext could cause update problem
Using inacpro1.1 smbios youn can leave enabled restrictevents kext

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ
Have you enabled force aquantia quirk?
In Big Sur aquantia Ethernet needed of a kext patch
In latest system and opencore that quirk was added
But in amd system as you know never worked
Yes the quirk is enabled, otherwise the driver would not attach. The problem currently is the inability of macOS to sense a cable connection when an older version of the driver is pulled into the latest version of Monterey.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Tell me the instructions and send me the Big Sur IONetworkingFamily kext to inject and I can tell u how it turns out. AppleACPIPlatform and IOPCIFamily would be appreciated also.
I’ve stepped out for lunch. Will be back soon.

backinblackx86

AMD OS X Member
I had to bring the Rtxa6000 back online for rendering, haven’t had a chance to boot opencore yet. battled with Nvidia drivers for most of the weekend.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Another AMD problem besides VT-d related ones would be the microphone with AppleALC on non-USB audio, maybe that could be investigated.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Another AMD problem besides VT-d related ones would be the microphone with AppleALC on non-USB audio, maybe that could be investigated.
Is this a problem on some AM5 motherboards in particular? But on other AM5 boards (non-USB), the microphone works?

In other words, is this an AppleALC Layout problem, specifically with pin configuration of the inputs and outputs? If it's a pin configuration problem, we can create a new AppleALC Layout. I've documented the procedure here:

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
@mariettosun @ExtremeXT

Well, when you remove Resticted Events, it perfectly updates, but it no longer shows that it is a Ryzen obviously 😅

Captura de pantalla 2022-11-20 a las 22.48.58.png

I didn't imagine that Kext would cause this problem...

In Alder Lake and Rocket Lake it does not cause this problem and I also use RestrictedEvents

Well, now I have learned one more thing, thank you very much (y)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@mariettosun @ExtremeXT

Well, when you remove Resticted Events, it perfectly updates, but it no longer shows that it is a Ryzen obviously 😅

I didn't imagine that Kext would cause this problem...

In Alder Lake and Rocket Lake it does not cause this problem and I also use RestrictedEvents

Well, now I have learned one more thing, thank you very much (y)
Very interesting observation. So RestrictEvents on AMD interferes with incremental macOS updates?

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Very interesting observation. So RestrictEvents on AMD interferes with incremental macOS updates?

To mine yes... 🤷‍♂️

It always looks for a delta update on the first try, it fails... if a few seconds later I try again, MacOS offers me the Full installer... if it takes me 5 minutes to try to update again, it offers me the delta update again...

And if I restart after the error, it already offers me the delta update, and it is installed normally.

But it seems to me that the system boots better without that Kext, but it could be my imagination 🤪

What is true is that without that kext my Ryzen updates without any failure and always on the first try... like a Mac 👌

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Anyone wishing to test Aquantia AQC-107 in Monterey
(Only Monterey at this time, not Ventura)​

Purpose:
In current versions of Monterey and Ventura on AMD platforms, we cannot establish an Ethernet connection on our Aquantia AQC-107 or AQC-113 10Gbps Ethernet ports. This procedure is meant to determine whether kernel extensions from Big Sur or from an early version of Monterey inserted into Monterey 12.6.x can provide a remedy.

Warning and Disclaimer:
  • This procedure must be exercised carefully. Attempts to rush can lead to unexpected problems that I cannot help to troubleshoot
  • This procedure must be performed on a clone of your Monterey installation or on a brand new, fresh Monterey 12.6.x installation on a spare SSD
  • Under no circumstances should this be performed on a primary Monterey volume

Preparation:
  • Clone an existing Monterey 12.6.x installation or install fresh copy on a spare SSD
  • Download the attached ZIP files:
    • Monterey-12-0-Files
    • Big-Sur-Files
  • Two folders will be created: Monterey-12-0-Files and Big-Sur-Files
  • Unzip the two files and copy them to Documents folder
  • The rest of the procedure assumes these folders are in the Documents folder
  • Update 24 Nov 2022: Also add boot argument ixgbe=0 to disable AppleEthernetIXGBE dext

Procedure:

Part 1: Identify System Volume
  1. Boot into the cloned or fresh copy of Monterey 12.6.x
  2. Open Terminal
  3. You will automatically be in your home directory (/Users/your-name)
  4. Create a directory here called livemount mkdir livemount
  5. Type mount and you will see something like this:
    Bash:
    % mount
    /dev/disk4s7s1 on / (apfs, sealed, local, read-only, journaled)
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
    /dev/disk4s10 on /System/Volumes/VM (apfs, local, noexec, journaled, noatime, nobrowse)
    /dev/disk4s2 on /System/Volumes/Preboot (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)
    /dev/disk4s6 on /System/Volumes/Update (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)
    /dev/disk4s8 on /System/Volumes/Data (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)
  6. Look at the first part of the first line: /dev/disk4s7s1
  7. YOUR OUTPUT WILL BE DIFFERENT
  8. Make a note of this disk, but skip the s1 at the end (if it exists), which means my device is /dev/disk4s7
Part 2: Replace kernel extensions and create new snapshot
  1. Make sure you are still in your home directory. Typing cd by itself will put you back in the home directory
  2. Now we'll do the intricate surgery:
    Bash:
    # replace /dev/disk4s7 with your disk name
    sudo mount -o nobrowse -t apfs /dev/disk4s7 ~/livemount

cd livemount/System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -rf IONetworkingFamily.kext
    # don't forget the space and dot at very end of this line:
    sudo cp -r ~/Documents/Big-Sur-Files/IONetworkingFamily.kext .
    sudo chown -R 0:0 IONetworkingFamily.kext
    sudo chmod -R 755 IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo kmutil install --volume-root ~/livemount --update-all
    sudo bless --mount ~/livemount --bootefi --create-snapshot
  3. That completes the surgical procedure.
Part 3: Reboot and Test
  1. If the preceding steps succeeded, you now have a Frankenstein Monterey or FrankenMon
  2. Make sure Ethernet cable is DISCONNECTED from the Aquantia port
  3. Shutdown the computer and flip power switch to OFF for about 10 seconds; this is necessary in order to clear previously loaded Aquantia firmware
  4. Restart the computer and boot the FrankenMon volume
  5. Hopefully it boots up
  6. If it fails to boot up, shutdown the computer, wait 10 seconds, power up the computer and try once more
  7. If FrankenMon boots up, login and check if Aquantia 10GbE is available in System Information --> Ethernet
  8. You can also check System Preferences --> Network
  9. If it's available, connect Ethernet cable and wait a few seconds
  10. Does the status in System Preferences --> Network change to Connected?
  11. Does the computer hang?
Part 4: To undo the changes
  1. To undo the surgical changes we made, we'll need to be booted into FrankenMon
  2. Open Terminal and type this:
    Bash:
    # type cd by itself to make sure we're in our home directory
    cd

# replace /dev/disk4s7 with your disk name
    sudo mount -o nobrowse -t apfs /dev/disk4s7 ~/livemount
    sudo bless --mount ~/livemount --bootefi --last-sealed-snapshot
  3. Rebooting will restore the original Monterey
This procedure can be done with both the Big Sur and Early-Monterey files provided. Although I have provided four kexts from each version, I am not in a position to tell you which ones should be tested. You're welcome to experiment. The four kexts from each version of macOS are:
  1. IONetworkingFamily.kext
    • This contains the Aquantia driver
  2. IOPCIFamily.kext
  3. AppleACPIPlatform.kext
    • Items 2 and 3 are interdependent so if you plan to replace one, you must replace both at the same time
  4. IOSkywalkFamily.kext
    • This is provided for experimentation purposes

Update 24 Nov 2022:
  • Uploaded IONetworkingFamily from Monterey build 17.2.02 -- or macOS 12.2.2?
    • This version also works when used with boot argument ixgbe=0

Attachments

• Big-Sur-Files.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • Monterey-12-0-Files.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Monterey-17-2-02.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.