Upgrade from Monterey to Sonoma freezes

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
I am trying to upgrade from Monterey to Sonoma on a Ryzen7800X3D, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER rig.

Monterey is running just fine on the attached EFI.

When I run the installer it restarts and boot from MacOS install as it should but then halts at the point in the screenshot.

Also tried the latest Ventura (13.6.6) but the same result.

Any advice?

Attachments

• EFI - clean.zip
    10 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4105.jpeg
    IMG_4105.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am trying to upgrade from Monterey to Sonoma on a Ryzen7800X3D, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER rig.

Monterey is running just fine on the attached EFI.

When I run the installer it restarts and boot from MacOS install as it should but then halts at the point in the screenshot.

Also tried the latest Ventura (13.6.6) but the same result.

Any advice?
What version of opencore and kernel patches are you running? Different versions of macOS require Opencore and kext updates

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Your motherboard doesn't have the following:
  • USB audio codec
  • Realtek 2.5GB ethernet port
  • Broadcom WiFi/BT, if you are using the WiFi/BT card that came with the motherboard.
  • Sonoma doesn't support the old BCM4360xxx native Apple cards. So you are probably best served using the builtin Intel AX210NGW WiFi/BT card in Sonoma.
So you don't need these kexts.
  • AppleALCU.kext
  • LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
While troubleshooting the EFI, I would recommend removing these kexts.
  1. AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext
  2. RadeonSensor.kext
  3. SMCAMDProcessor.kext
  4. SMCRadeonGPU.kext
For your Intel WiFi & Bluetooth I would add these kexts.
  1. AirportItlwm-Sonoma-14-4.kext (renamed by me to differentiate this kext from the pre-Sonoma 14.4 kexts)
  2. IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext
  3. IntelBTPatcher.kext
So your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder goes from this.
Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 19.16.20.png Current /EFI/OC/Kexts folder contents.

To this.
Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 19.22.45.png Revised /EFI/OC/Kexts folder contents.

The Only other area in your EFI that would cause concern would be the ACPI folder contents. I assume you need the SSDT-CPUR.aml table. But the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml table is not great, especially if you have been running macOS Monterey for a few years.

I would recommend you download and run Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script to generate a number of custom SSDT's for your system, using your system DSDT.aml table. You should create the following ACPI tables and companion ACPI Patches using SSDTTime and your DSDT.aml.
  1. SSDT-HPET.aml - companion patches required for SSDT to work.
  2. SSDT-EC.aml
  3. SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml
  4. SSDT-USBX.aml.
Then obviously update your config.plist to incorporate these changes.

The most obvious issue in your config.plist is that you are using old AMD Kernel Patches. Your current set only contains 18 patches. Which are only configured to work with macOS Ventura (22.99.99)

The latest release of the Sonoma supporting AMD Kernel patches (23.99.99) contain 22 x Patches.

I have made a few other minor changes to your config.plist and tried to attach the revised EFI-v2 folder for you to try with Sonoma 14.4+. Unfortunately the Site Server is being problematic about uploading or attaching any files/folders at the moment.

When I am able to attach the revised EFI all you need to do is add your Serial number to the config.plist. Don't change anything else. I will attach the EFI when the Server issue is resolved.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Here is the EFI-v2 for you to try.

Attachments

• EFI-v2.zip
    32.3 MB · Views: 3

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
Here is the EFI-v2 for you to try.
Thank you very much for your help :cool:

I added my serial and tried to use the version 2 but unfortunately without success. I can not get it to boot Monterey or install Sonoma (starting the installer and switching to the new EFI on boot the installer).

It just hangs at the Apple logo. Will enable verbose and see where it stops at.

As you can see I get an error in OCAuxilleryTool when I validate the config.plist. Maybe the error lies there.

First about the changes you made:

LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext was disabled in my original EFI. Came with the old EFI I used as source. Using AppleIGC.kext. But thank you for cleaning up!

I was not aware that there was a kext for the inbuilt Bluetooth :) Therefore, I had uses an old ASUS bluetooth dongle and therefore theese two kext's-
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
Regarding bluetooth. I tried using the kexts you suppliod in Monterey but bluetooth does not work. Does not see any bluetooth. I am on wired connection so did not mess around with wifi.

Why should I remove theese kext? Just so that I know? :)
  2. RadeonSensor.kext
  3. SMCAMDProcessor.kext
  4. SMCRadeonGPU.kext
Regarding custom SSDT's. Sorry if this is a noob question, but how do I use Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script to create the needed custom SSDT's?

@leesurone @Edhawk I am running Opencore 0.9.9 ... How can I update the AMD Kernel patches to version (23.99.99)?

Once again thank you for all your help so far! Much appreciated.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2024-04-20 kl. 12.55.12.png
    Skærmbillede 2024-04-20 kl. 12.55.12.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 7

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
Verbose from the EFI2. Borked kernel patch.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2024-04-20 kl. 14.16.41.png
    Skærmbillede 2024-04-20 kl. 14.16.41.png
    638.4 KB · Views: 7

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Why should I remove theese kext? Just so that I know? :)
  2. RadeonSensor.kext
  3. SMCAMDProcessor.kext
  4. SMCRadeonGPU.kext
They are not essential to boot macOS. So can be added to the system later, if you want to add a Sensor app, once macOS is installed and running on your machine.

The error message in OpenCore Configurator or the OcValidator terminal option doesn't really tell me where the Array issue is located. I have checked through the config.plist, comparing it to the Sample.plist provided as part of OpenCore 0.9.9 and still can't see any major/KP related issues in the config.plist I provided. I have checked every Array > 0 entry to see if any are set incorrectly in the config.

The ACPI > Patch > 0 entry was present in your previous config, So I have left it alone as I am not sure whether you need to use this Gigabyte Fix or not.

Same with the Booter > MemoWhitelist > 0 entry. This is something you added that I can only assume is correct.

I have deleted some entries in the NVRAM > Delete section that weren't present in the NVRAM > Add section to balance these two sections. Both the Add and Delete sections are in an Array.

I did notice that the LegacySchema entries had been deleted from the config. So I have added them back in, not that you should need them but better to be safe than sorry.

When you use the EFI I provided, make sure you do the following:
  1. Rename it to 'EFI' and copy it to the EFI partition on the USB pen drive you are using to boot macOS. So it is the only EFI folder present in the setup.
  2. Do not use another EFI at the same time, so you can select the EFI I provided from the OC boot screen.
  3. When swapping the EFI folder, or even making changes to the sub-folders or config.plist you need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi driver so any old/obsolete entries are removed from the system NVRAM. BEFORE booting in to macOS with the new/revised EFI.
To use the ResetNvram driver from the OC boot screen do the following:
  • Press the 'Spacebar' when you arrive on the OC boot screen.
  • This will display the hidden auxiliary items contained in your OC setup, to the right hand side of the OS/installer icons.
  • Select ResetNvram
  • The system should automatically reboot, and at the same time clear any previous NVRAM entries, so only the entries in the revised/new EFI are used.
Try this EFI-v3 and see how it works or not.

Attachments

• EFI-v3.zip
    32.3 MB · Views: 4

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
It is possible that one of your devices is compatible with macOS Monterey, but it is not compatible with macOS Sonoma.
It would be nice to provide a more detailed description of your hardware configuration. Hard drive, graphics card, etc.
You can create a business card here ⇾:
https://forum.amd-osx.com/account/signature
Noted! Have added a first run!

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
They are not essential to boot macOS. So can be added to the system later, if you want to add a Sensor app, once macOS is installed and running on your machine.
Ok. Thank you for the explanation. Will maybe add later, then :)

The error message in OpenCore Configurator or the OcValidator terminal option doesn't really tell me where the Array issue is located. I have checked through the config.plist, comparing it to the Sample.plist provided as part of OpenCore 0.9.9 and still can't see any major/KP related issues in the config.plist I provided. I have checked every Array > 0 entry to see if any are set incorrectly in the config.

The ACPI > Patch > 0 entry was present in your previous config, So I have left it alone as I am not sure whether you need to use this Gigabyte Fix or not.

Same with the Booter > MemoWhitelist > 0 entry. This is something you added that I can only assume is correct.
I must admit that I have not added those lines 😇😳. I found the EFI last year, when I got my new motherboard, cpu and RAM and need to het o. I think (!) it is this one I used as reference. Then added the ethernet kext.

But I am not sure!

As you wrote: "You should create the following ACPI tables and companion ACPI Patches using SSDTTime and your DSDT.aml."

Sorry if this is a noob question, but how do I use Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script to create the needed custom SSDT's?

I have deleted some entries in the NVRAM > Delete section that weren't present in the NVRAM > Add section to balance these two sections. Both the Add and Delete sections are in an Array.

I did notice that the LegacySchema entries had been deleted from the config. So I have added them back in, not that you should need them but better to be safe than sorry.

When you use the EFI I provided, make sure you do the following:
  1. Rename it to 'EFI' and copy it to the EFI partition on the USB pen drive you are using to boot macOS. So it is the only EFI folder present in the setup.
  2. Do not use another EFI at the same time, so you can select the EFI I provided from the OC boot screen.
  3. When swapping the EFI folder, or even making changes to the sub-folders or config.plist you need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi driver so any old/obsolete entries are removed from the system NVRAM. BEFORE booting in to macOS with the new/revised EFI.
To use the ResetNvram driver from the OC boot screen do the following:
  • Press the 'Spacebar' when you arrive on the OC boot screen.
  • This will display the hidden auxiliary items contained in your OC setup, to the right hand side of the OS/installer icons.
  • Select ResetNvram
  • The system should automatically reboot, and at the same time clear any previous NVRAM entries, so only the entries in the revised/new EFI are used.
Try this EFI-v3 and see how it works or not.
Ok. I am familiar with running the EFI from USB. No issues there.

I did not reset NVRAM everytime today. And was not aware that you have to reset after every EFI alteration. Will remember tomorrow when I test version 3.

Thank you very much for all your help. Much apreciated!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
Please do not modify the EFI file, it is essential to install. You can add kext and something else afterward.
Try 🔽 to ATTACH FILES
Thank you! Will add my serial and give it a go tomorrow!

Post a copy of your DSDT.aml table and I will create the custom SSDT-Bridge.aml table.

Alternatively, read and follow this guide I wrote over at Tonymacx86, regarding use of Corpnewt's SSDTTime.

Thank you! Will take a look and probably post my DSDT.aml tomorrow!

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member

Attachments

• DSDT.zip
    198 KB · Views: 1
  • opencore-2024-04-21-105831.txt
    256 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
Please do not modify the EFI file, it is essential to install. You can add kext and something else afterward.
Try 🔽 to ATTACH FILES
I tried this EFI (replaced the serials etc. and did a NVRAM reset) and it boots Monterey fine. Get an error for lacking of internet access (Facetime, iMessage etc.) but it runs :)

I will add ethernet and see if it continues to run. Is there any kext that are essential before I can try an Sonoma upgrade .... ?

And thank you very much (y)

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, as the EFI already contains the latest Essential kexts.

The EFI should work with Ventura and Sonoma without any changes.

Which if any WiFi/BT card are you using in this system?

Intel WiFi & Bluetooth would be the only devices that require any different kexts for the different major macOS version changes, i.e. different kext required for Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma for WiFi. Sonoma requires an updated Airportitlwm.kext for version 14.4 or newer, compared to 14.3.1 or older. Using the latest Bluetooth kexts for an Intel Bluetooth should work in all three versions.

The Broadcom Wifi/Bluetooth modules require OpenCore Legacy Patcher ROOT patches to work in Sonoma.

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
I now have internet. Bluetooth still does not work. Have not tried wifi. Will fiddle a bit more to see if I can get it to run before I try to upgrade. Any suggestions?

I usually use OpenCore to choose between my Windows and Linux installs. Somehow the Linux options are missing and Windows gives an error. Alle works fine when I choose the drives directly in the bios. Will fiddle more with that also :)

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Which WiFi/BT card are you using?

Without this information we can't tell you which kexts you need to use.

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2024-04-22 kl. 08.40.25.png
    Skærmbillede 2024-04-22 kl. 08.40.25.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
The kext Wi-Fi and Bluetooth may not be compatible with macOS Monterey me, I assume that they are compatible with macOS Sonoma. You can still test it with macOS Monterey, but it will be fixed for you only after testing on macOS Sonoma.
Tried this:
  1. Install IntelBTPatcher.kext (Depends on Lilu v1.6.2 or newer)
  2. Make sure IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext v2.2.0 or newer is used.
  3. Remove/Exclude IntelBluetoothInjector.kext for macOS Monterey and newer from the Bootloader's config
  4. Install BlueToolFixup.kext from acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM

https://openintelwireless.github.io...ke-bluetooth-work-on-macos-monterey-and-newer

So far with no success. And the AX210 should be supported according to the compability overview.

My kext's!

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2024-04-22 kl. 13.35.29.png
    Skærmbillede 2024-04-22 kl. 13.35.29.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
I think the bluetooth issue is related to USB-port mapping above. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Multiboot/oc/linux.html#method-a-openlinuxboot Or to be precise. The lack of. Any suggestions for a good guide to that? I have A LOT of USB-ports ... :)

The other and most annoying problem is that the new OpenCore - attached in its original form - stopped beeing able to boot Windows and Linux.

Normally OC just boots Windows. No changes made. But now I get an ACPI error if I try. I can boot fine by selecting the drive it is on.

For Linux I have added OpenLinuxBoot.efi and ext4_x64.efi to my config.plist Drivers section and made sure RequestBootVarRouting and LauncherOption are enabled in config.plis. I also enable HideAuxiliary. All as described here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Multiboot/oc/linux.html#method-a-openlinuxboot

However I get the failed to mount error attached.

MacOS, Windows and Linux x 2 are all on their own drives.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4109.jpeg
    IMG_4109.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • EFI-Gigabyte.zip
    17.8 MB · Views: 2

JohnFante

AMD OS X Member
I have the impression that you want to do it all at once. You must not go faster than the music.
The error in the photo reminds me of a Linux error. As if Linux is not found its own disk or EFI which tries to start another EFI.

You must put your EFI file on a USB key, select your USB with F12 and manually select your macOS and re-select for each installation restart or update. The best solution would be to unplug all other drives and keep only the hard drive that contains your macOS for installation or update. Your motherboard would normally allow disabled disks without manually dismounting it.

To map your USB port, here ⇾ :

I hope you don't have RAID enabled.
Will try to be a bit more patient :)

Just so that I understand. To solve the booting error I need to put my present EFI on an USB, boot from that and then select all the different OS's?

Do I then copy the EFI back to its EFI partition?

OR

Do I take the original cut down version, that you supplied and put it on the USB and so forth?

Thank you for you r help!

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.