Ryzen 7000 Testing

jacoweb

AMD OS X Member
is it possible to downgrade the Thunderbolt firmware? I tested to downgrade bios to older version, but did not downgrade the thunderbolt firmware.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Curve optimizer parameter must be set for your components 25/30 could be too much for you
try to start with 10/15 and see if your system is stable as usual (i mean rock solid)
I appreciate your help, I was undervolting my ASUS X670E Gene motherboard using almost identical settings, those also work with this newer Proart board. Unfortunately they make no difference in my single core Geekbench scores which are pretty consistently around 2590, multicore is same as yours. I'm running the benchmarks with no limitations in the bios on the CPU as far as I know and I'm confident it isn't thermal throttling. Temperatures stay around 50 to max 80 degrees during testing and as I've mentioned before in Windows my scores are identical to yours. I've also retested using a fresh install on a separate volume, nothing else loaded except for Geekbench, same results.
My assumption now is its power management related and my EFI configuration is limiting single core speeds.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
I appreciate your help, I was undervolting my ASUS X670E Gene motherboard using almost identical settings, those also work with this newer Proart board. Unfortunately they make no difference in my single core Geekbench scores which are pretty consistently around 2590, multicore is same as yours. I'm running the benchmarks with no limitations in the bios on the CPU as far as I know and I'm confident it isn't thermal throttling. Temperatures stay around 50 to max 80 degrees during testing and as I've mentioned before in Windows my scores are identical to yours. I've also retested using a fresh install on a separate volume, nothing else loaded except for Geekbench, same results.
My assumption now is its power management related and my EFI configuration is limiting single core speeds.
could you check both these values on your first Bios page?
1691071406386.png
i have 116/117 and for new cooler i have by now 160(more or less)
greater should be better and for SP indicate a more qualitative chip (an user on discord (NX) explained me these stuff i didnt know! :)

Last edited:

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
and this attached is a txt with all my BIOS settings

Attachments

• leesurone_setting.txt
    29 KB · Views: 7

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
is it possible to downgrade the Thunderbolt firmware? I tested to downgrade bios to older version, but did not downgrade the thunderbolt firmware.
No you sadly cannot. As it goes you can’t downgrade the type of Thunderbolt either ie. from TB4 to TB3. That’s not how they work.

With that in mind if you want a fully working TB3 setup the only option I believe you can take is to sell your current motherboard and replace it with one that has optional TB3 support and add a Titan Ridge discrete card in the machine running the TB3 SSDTs. That would work. And if you also flash the card with a modded TB3 firmware it will work just as like on a real Mac with hotplug and instant device detection.

jacoweb

AMD OS X Member
No you sadly cannot. As it goes you can’t downgrade the type of Thunderbolt either ie. from TB4 to TB3. That’s not how they work.

With that in mind if you want a fully working TB3 setup the only option I believe you can take is to sell your current motherboard and replace it with one that has optional TB3 support and add a Titan Ridge discrete card in the machine running the TB3 SSDTs. That would work. And if you also flash the card with a modded TB3 firmware it will work just as like on a real Mac with hotplug and instant device detection.

i understand that i cant downgrade from tb4 to tb3 but the firmware only so it supports thunderbolt 1/ 2 devices.

since my current firmware not supporting tb1/2 devices.

i saw other talked about this issue and downgraded the bios to get it back working.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
i understand that i cant downgrade from tb4 to tb3 but the firmware only so it supports thunderbolt 1/ 2 devices.

since my current firmware not supporting tb1/2 devices.

i saw other talked about this issue and downgraded the bios to get it back working.
As I started reading your first posts about it, I immediately thought about the BIOS update that seemed to break support with pre-TB3/4 devices. So just to clarify, you rolled back to an earlier BIOS and the interface is working now?

jacoweb

AMD OS X Member
As I started reading your first posts about it, I immediately thought about the BIOS update that seemed to break support with pre-TB3/4 devices. So just to clarify, you rolled back to an earlier BIOS and the interface is working now?

i rolled back and it still not working.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
i rolled back and it still not working.
Sorry to hear that. I couldn't quite tell from the previous posts, but was it working before? Is this a dual boot system? Wondering if it works in another OS like Windows? Any other thunderbolt devices you could also try?

jacoweb

AMD OS X Member
never worked. yes dualboot. tested in win and the device is not working.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
could you check both these values on your first Bios page?
View attachment 11564
i have 116/117 and for new cooler i have by now 160(more or less)
greater should be better and for SP indicate a more qualitative chip (an user on discord (NX) explained me these stuff i didnt know! :)
It shows 114 and 158 respectively

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@leesurone cooler is fine
Cpu is less lucky than mine so maybe it reaches different clock during benchmark

Differences are not so big so it could be a normal behavior for a chip with less SP value

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Downgrading BIOS, if possible at all, does NOT downgrade Thunderbolt firmware (NVM). As pointed to by @CaseySJ , you need to ask (or beg…) Asus support to provide a custom BIOS which does downgrade Thunderbolt NVM to the last version with support for TB2. And, of course, if Asus obliges and does provide a custom BIOS, you'll be essentially stuck with it and could not apply any further BIOS update.

Alternatively, use a PCIe slot for a GC-Titan Ridge card—if you can get one before the stock runs out.

jacoweb

AMD OS X Member
i got this from asus support:

Hi Thomas.

What the motherboard have is USB4 and not Thunderbolt port specifically, I asked the people above me if we can provide an BIOS/Firmware update for this but as this is USB4 only we cannot provide one sadly.

What you absolutely can try is to reach out to Intel to see if they might help you with this but from our part it's not possible.

I'm sorry for the circumstances this can cause.

Wish you a great weekend !

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
i got this from asus support:

Hi Thomas.

What the motherboard have is USB4 and not Thunderbolt port specifically, I asked the people above me if we can provide an BIOS/Firmware update for this but as this is USB4 only we cannot provide one sadly.

What you absolutely can try is to reach out to Intel to see if they might help you with this but from our part it's not possible.

I'm sorry for the circumstances this can cause.

Wish you a great weekend !
Your best option is a GC-Titan Ridge from Gigabyte. This card is also easy to flash if necessary. GC-Titan Ridge cards are getting difficult to find so if you have Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 devices that cannot be replaced with Thunderbolt 3/4 versions, then a GC-Titan Ridge may be the salvation.

Even though your ProArt has on-board Thunderbolt, we can still install GC-Titan Ridge. If you choose to go this route, I can help you with a custom Thunderbolt SSDT that assigns the two Thunderbolt controllers to two different Bus IDs.

Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@leesurone cooler is fine
Cpu is less lucky than mine so maybe it reaches different clock during benchmark

Differences are not so big so it could be a normal behavior for a chip with less SP value
I don't know, it consistently benches 500 points higher in Windows so it's something related to the operating system. Bios settings don't seem to make any difference, maybe it's something missing or incorrect in my EFI folder. Didn't you post a copy of yours in one of these threads?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    44.3 MB · Views: 16

jacoweb

AMD OS X Member
Your best option is a GC-Titan Ridge from Gigabyte. This card is also easy to flash if necessary. GC-Titan Ridge cards are getting difficult to find so if you have Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 devices that cannot be replaced with Thunderbolt 3/4 versions, then a GC-Titan Ridge may be the salvation.

Even though your ProArt has on-board Thunderbolt, we can still install GC-Titan Ridge. If you choose to go this route, I can help you with a custom Thunderbolt SSDT that assigns the two Thunderbolt controllers to two different Bus IDs.
thanks!

i will see if i can find a gc titan ridge card. thank you 😀

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
thanks!

i will see if i can find a gc titan ridge card. thank you 😀
Sorry you have to resort to that! Hope it works out for you though!!!!

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.