Ryzen 7000 Testing

poshook

AMD OS X Member
Hi,
is here anyone with 100% functional build with 7900x or 7950x CPU / Ventura 13.4.tested on Ableton/Logic Pro? Today I am decided to order hardware components and would like to get EFI that will work immediately. I use Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 10 with MOTU M2 as USB audio interface and around 400 plugins from 40 vendors. Sometimes Photoshop, FinalCUT. On the internet there are many recommendations to avoid AMD for music production due to lacking 100% compatibility with Intel drivers under MacOS

Last edited:

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Recently Apple added drivers for 25GbE and 50GbE in both the Intel and ARM builds of macOS. There is no Mac with either of those ports. Makes we wonder…
…why Apple does not even advertise the feature. At the very least, it allows to run Intel 500, 700 and Mellanox ConnectX-4 to 6 series in a Thunderbolt enclosure from any Mac or Thunderbolt-enabled iPad. But there's not much official communication about it.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I'd assume they will announce it with the new MacPro next Monday.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Asus X670e ProArt board arrived! The mini ITX to ATX transplant will begin soon- just waiting on PSU and CPU cooler to arrive, probably Sunday, which unfortunately means I might have to be patient until next weekend to put it all together! Hoping WWDC will give me another thing to upgrade, but if not the 6950XT has served me pretty darn well.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I’m going to build one of these systems this month as well…

I’ve been lazy and haven’t wanted to build my X67E Pro Art even though I got my Fractal North case (that I was waiting on) several weeks ago..

I haven’t been in the mood to tinker with PC hardware for some time. I think I’ve been waiting for 7000 series GPU support.

fingers crossed!! 😊

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
I’m going to build one of these systems this month as well…
Nice! Hopefully it'll be a smooth experience for us. ProArt board and North? Classy sounding system!

amdeez

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi,
is here anyone with 100% functional build with 7900x or 7950x CPU / Ventura 13.4.tested on Ableton/Logic Pro? Today I am decided to order hardware components and would like to get EFI that will work immediately. I use Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 10 with MOTU M2 as USB audio interface and around 400 plugins from 40 vendors. Sometimes Photoshop, FinalCUT. On the internet there are many recommendations to avoid AMD for music production due to lacking 100% compatibility with Intel drivers under MacOS

I have a 7900x build that ran Ventura fine. I did not do any heavy Creative Cloud work on Ventura but Photoshop, Acrobat, and InDesign worked in some spot checks.
The only major software issue I’ve noticed is Docker is a pain in the ass to get running using VirtualBox, Docker Machine, and Dinghy as virtualization runs differently compared to a Hackintosh running on Intel. There are a few posts here and on GitHub that have gotten Docker working on AMD OSX machines running an older version of Virtualbox on Monterey as well as Ventura with a few minor changes related to SIP

I ended up downgrading and have been running Monterey as my daily driver. No issues with Figma (heavy use) or Photoshop. I am stubborn and will try to get Docker to work again but I had to give it a break. I’ll likely make a post asking for Docker assistance. The Docker development environment I work with is pretty complex with tons of services, I’ve gotten it to work flawlessly on Intel OpenCore so I’m crossing my fingers…

I do not use Ableton and don’t do music production… is your audio interface supported on real Apple HW or OpenCore Intel systems? I have a cheap throwaway Behringer USB audio interface that I picked up nearly a decade ago after my Native Instruments Audio 8 DJ interface (used it to rip vinyl) lost driver support around 10.12.6

Check out my success story, my EFI is linked and on GitHub

pbs888

AMD OS X Member
I've updated my ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME couple of weeks ago to the latest available BIOS 1415 — since updating I've started to experience some very unstable behaviours with my system.

With EXPO enabled I am getting endless restart on boot with EXPO TWEAKED (ie. the EXPO made for my RAM) — system is booting maybe on the 10th try. Running without EXPO at the moment.

Furthermore, from time to time I am unable to power on — e.g. I need to turn off power completely because nothing is happening when I press the power button.

BIOS is freezing from time to time when I want to make changes.

It was all rock solid until the EXPO voltage fiasco — what a **** show ;(

Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I've updated my ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME couple of weeks ago to the latest available BIOS 1415 — since updating I've started to experience some very unstable behaviours with my system.

With EXPO enabled I am getting endless restart on boot with EXPO TWEAKED (ie. the EXPO made for my RAM) — system is booting maybe on the 10th try. Running without EXPO at the moment.

Furthermore, from time to time I am unable to power on — e.g. I need to turn off power completely because nothing is happening when I press the power button.

BIOS is freezing from time to time when I want to make changes.

It was all rock solid until the EXPO voltage fiasco — what a **** show ;(
The Memory QVL was changed with bios version 1415, you are probably already aware that could mean whatever brand you have may not be supported.

"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.a
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. Memory QVL amended to account for AMD 1.3V SoC voltage limit.
4. EXPO/XMP prompt notice removed.

pbs888

AMD OS X Member
The Memory QVL was changed with bios version 1415, you are probably already aware that could mean whatever brand you have may not be supported.

"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.a
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. Memory QVL amended to account for AMD 1.3V SoC voltage limit.
4. EXPO/XMP prompt notice removed.
I have G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 16GB 6000Mhz CL30 x 4 sticks — it's literally said AMD EXPO on the box. This was the only reson I got them in the first place ;)

It was also my understanding that you only see the EXPO TWEAKED settings when your ram is on of the officially supported ones.

Apparenlty there is Combo AM5 1.0.0.9 in the works already — hopefully that will fix it.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
For 4 DIMMs AMD specifies max supported speed of 3600MT/s, usually you can get more than the max supported speed but Zen 4 is just bad with 4 DIMMs.
Just because the memory has a certain profile does not guarantee it will be working at all, you might have to wait for Zen 5 or 6 to hit 6000MT/s with 4 DIMMs.

Arrakis

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Alas, 13.5 does not support Radeon 7000 series...
It's dead, with the release of the new Mac Pro without any third-party GPU support. Apple will not update new GPU 7000 drivers for the MacPro 2019.

pbs888

AMD OS X Member
For 4 DIMMs AMD specifies max supported speed of 3600MT/s, usually you can get more than the max supported speed but Zen 4 is just bad with 4 DIMMs.
Just because the memory has a certain profile does not guarantee it will be working at all, you might have to wait for Zen 5 or 6 to hit 6000MT/s with 4 DIMMs.
It was all running perfectly stable at 6000Mhz for 6 months — until the EXPO voltage fiasco ;) Do you think no more EXPO or are they going to actually fix this?:)

pbs888

AMD OS X Member
It's dead, with the release of the new Mac Pro without any third-party GPU support. Apple will not update new GPU 7000 drivers for the MacPro 2019.

New Mac Pro is £7200 in the UK. £3000 premium over the same spec Mac Studio M2 Ultra. That's nuts.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
It was all running perfectly stable at 6000Mhz for 6 months — until the EXPO voltage fiasco ;) Do you think no more EXPO or are they going to actually fix this?:)
Yeah, the board probably applied a very unhealthy SoC voltage to get the IMC running at that speed with 4 DIMMs.
They can probably improve with microcode updates to a certain degree, but we saw with Alder Lake that the first generation of the DDR5 memory controller will have such issues.
Was the same with DDR4, DDR3, DDR2 and DDR before that... They need a generation or two to iron things out and get the new standard really going.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member

Just started putting together the X670E ProArt system. Lovely board, but as with all of these AM5 Asus boards lately, horrible BIOS experiences. Have you tried clearing CMOS? After I updated to the latest BIOS I quickly started encountering RAM issues... would only boot with 1 stick of ram. Powering everything off, disconnecting power, removing CMOS battery for a while, then enabling EXPO with one stick, then installing the second stick after got me going again! Though, I've only got the 2 and not the whole 4 haha.

mariettosun

AMD OS X Member
Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 15.08.34.png
many things don't work (thunderbolt, ethernet, wifi) others do their job quite well

mariettosun

AMD OS X Member
Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 15.38.01.png

By the way..also clover did its job fine (processor name missing (but it is better to see xeon) and DDR3 on AM5 platform :) :)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
many things don't work (thunderbolt, ethernet, wifi) others do their job quite well
Good to see Sonoma can be installed! (P.S. I need to go back there soon...)

Regarding Ethernet and WiFi:
  • Do you have Fenvi FV-T919 or BCM94360NG (Broadcom) module? Or Intel WiFi/BT?
  • Does WiFi driver load, but cannot establish connection? Or driver does not load?
  • Does Bluetooth work?
  • Do both Ethernet ports fail? Or just one?
  • Does Ethernet driver load, but cannot establish connection? Or driver does not load?

mariettosun

AMD OS X Member
ciao @CaseySJ
BCM94360NG
this (unmounted the original hero's one)
Does WiFi driver load, but cannot establish connection? Or driver does not load?
disabled from bios (otherwise no joy)
Does Bluetooth work?
I can enable it but no device to test (airdrop doesn't work)
Do both Ethernet ports fail? Or just one?

hero motherboard has only one port. it must be disabled and the cable must be disconnected
I am using a Realtek usb now
Does Ethernet driver load, but cannot establish connection? Or driver does not load?
see above

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.