Ryzen 7000 Testing

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
What? You're not itching to get a tiny screaming fan on a M.2 module? Fell how it spins FAST…
Lately I've been snapping up high-speed PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSDs (i.e. 3000-3500Mbps R/W) for both internal use and for external full-system backups. I've tried PCIe 4.0 versions rated for 5600-6000Mbps, but in real-world use I haven't noticed an iota of difference. This surprised me because I'm typically the type who covets the latest and greatest (but conscious of avoiding the high-end).

Just pulled up my recent Amazon purchase history:

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 1.08.16 PM.png

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Is anyone facing this problem when trying to create a Ventura installation disk using createinstallmedia? GibmacOS was used to download Ventura 13.3 public beta.

Bash:
% sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura\ beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Ventura-USB
Password:
Ready to start.
To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Ventura-USB.
If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y

Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%

Copying essential files...
Copying the macOS RecoveryOS...

Couldn't extract BaseSystem to path: /Volumes/Install macOS Ventura beta/BaseSystem
The bless of the installer disk failed.

UPDATE:
  • Changing SecureBootModel to Disabled ("Default" might work as well), and setting csr-active-config to FF0F0000 (disabling SIP) fixes the problem
  • Previously, SecureBootModel was j137 (iMacPro1,1) and j160 (MacPro7,1) with csr-active-config set to 00000000 (two different systems)

Last edited:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
For those who've made the AM5 plunge, how's stability been? Just putting out some general feelers.

Yesterday, while in Ventura 13.2.1 with my ASUS x670e-i and 7950x my case and AIO fans very quickly ramped up to max speed. I only had just enough time to pull up AMD Power Gadget to see CPU temps rising from mid-30s to high 80s, probably higher, before the machine shut off by itself, I'm guessing due to temps. While just in the middle of doing taxes, of all things! From there, I'd power on the machine, but just a few seconds later turn back off, from what I suspect to be thermal protection. Took about 30-45 minutes before I could get back into the boot picker and log back into MacOS.

This is my first time encountering this problem, and wondering if anyone else has experienced it or other issues? I've also been having some issues with games crashing in windows, but I suspect that's actually from my case riser cable. Haven't been able to reproduce yesterday's crash since! I knew when getting this case I might run into some troubles, so I was already looking into some backup alternatives when I saw @CaseySJ post about his new mATX case haha.

Also, I'm guessing because of the recent Ryzen 7000 X3D releases, I saw ASUS released a new 1222 BIOS, at least for my board. I may look into seeing how that affects things for me.

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
Have you checked your cpu cooling system? Maybe it has some problems or it's broken.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Yeah definitely possible that something is up with the EKWB 280mm AIO I'm using, especially because of the way that I had to bend some tubes to fit in the case I'm using... That was my first thought as well and perhaps no symptoms of the issue had shown up until now. Would be a shame if that's what caused it, since this was my first foray into non-air cooling after decades of building machines, and I had been having such a pleasant experience haha

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
I bought the asus b650e-i, I was undecided and I wanted to take the mb as your x670e-iI bought the asus b650e-i, I was undecided and I wanted to take the mb as your x670e-i , Then I thought that I already have the Thunderbolt in the nuc, and given the higher price the b650e-i was the best choice

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
My Asus X670E Gene with Ryzen 7 7700X has been rock solid. I’ve applied Optimum Tech’s power-saving and temp-reducing BIOS settings:
  • Curve Optimizer = -15
  • PBO PTT Power capped at 85W
Fans never scream, temps never overheat. And performance is barely affected.

I'm thrilled with the AM5 platform, preferring it over my Intel Alder Lake (12th Gen) systems. Thunderbolt hot plug does not work, but even on my Asus ROG Strix Z690-i (mini-ITX) and Asus ProArt Z690 Creator, Maple Ridge is iffy with hot plug.

I'm really glad the Asus Gene has two PCIe slots (PCIe 5.0 x16 and PCIe 4.0 x1). That extra little slot allowed me to do the following:
  • Install StarTech RS-232 serial port card for kernel debugging
  • Install AQC-107 and AQC-113 10GbE cards for patching the Aquantia kext
  • Install Fenvi FV-T919 instead of replacing on-board WiFi 6E module
I like having 100% of my desktop CPU cores as Performance or P-Cores. Those darned E-cores really annoy me as Intel continues to tilt the balance in favor of them. Because macOS does not differentiate between P-cores and E-cores, and it never will on x86 platform, why on Earth would I actually pay for E-cores? Yes we see all those mouth-watering multi-core benchmarks on Intel big.LITTLE architectures, but consider this:
  • It takes 24 of those combined cores (13900K) to compete with AMD's 16-core 7950X
7950X 13900K

Last edited:

Kubokun

AMD OS X Member
it's work ☺️
But still have lot of things to do this weekend.
Crash few minutes after boot up
All the things are working ( audio , wifi , Bluetooth, usb ...)
Gigabyte B650I 7950x , onboard wifi module has been replaced by 94360ng ADB30352-92AF-4F32-9890-D64563BDBF7C.jpeg

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
1678212757917.png

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
My Asus X670E Gene with Ryzen 7 7700X has been rock solid. I’ve applied Optimum Tech’s power-saving and temp-reducing BIOS settings:
Good to hear your stable experience thus far! I am completely with you on the P vs. E core situation, just my personal preference as well.

Again, my issue the other day seemed to be an anomaly rather than the norm, though I do intend to further optimize performance/thermals. I know when these cpus were initially released many had success with eco mode and optimizing temps vs performance, I've just not gotten to it yet. Admittedly, I probably should've done that sooner, given my itx case situation. Speaking of, I still may find myself swapping cases, jury's still out on that...

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
1678213484585.png
new patches are "still" good :)

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
With latest leaks of Apple ComputeModules for the MacPro it will get less likely. 13.3 would have been the update to add drivers if they plan to release something with RX 7000 this Spring.
RDNA 2 was added in beta of Big Sur 11.4 not 3 so who knows

Kubokun

AMD OS X Member
Still got crash about 5 mins after boot up. Could somebody help me to figured out the errors?
Sorry for my bad English Also included the log file opencore debug. Many thanks.

Attachments

• EFI - Gigabyte B650I 7950X.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 1

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Still got crash about 5 mins after boot up. Could somebody help me to figured out the errors?
Sorry for my bad English Also included the log file opencore debug. Many thanks.
I’ll open a new thread in Ventura —> Post Installation and follow-up there soon.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
  • Curve Optimizer = -15
  • PBO PTT Power capped at 85W

I find these undervolting settings to be most optimal as well. That said, stock settings are rock solid too.

full disclosure: I am running Monterey, not Ventura.

when @CaseySJ and @Shaneee and @ExtremeXT get Continuity Camera working on Ryzen, I will upgrade my AM5 system. but until then, I will stick with Monterey.

coralding

AMD OS X Member
Hi,AMD 7000 X3D is availbale now,can it work fine on ASUS X670E Hero motherboard?

coralding

AMD OS X Member

SkyHeart

AMD OS X Member

Attachments

• EFI_ASUS_ROG_x670E_HERO_OC-089.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Mac Pro.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.