AMD OS X Member
@SkyHeart
Thanks a lot!Your are amazing!

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yes we want :)

The rumor mill is really churning with talk of Compute Modules. MaxTech posted this video yesterday...

It's March 1 today (in this part of the world), so if a March event is coming it will be here soon...
I've been away so maybe this is discussed already.
I am pretty sure that those compute units are meant to replace Afterburner cards that are option in Intel Mac Pro. As in — dedicated compute units for scientific and encoding/decoding work.

I would be very surprised this would be general purpose PCIe cards like those MPX modules.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Or Apple made a big dedicated Chip out of their GPU cores as additional compute card. I think it is unlikely they will put the SoC on such a card, as their MacPros never really had a significant upgrade path CPU wise.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
as their MacPros never really had a significant upgrade path CPU wise.

you don't think they could have received newer and newer Xeon processors for a few more years?

or in a followup iteration, a Threadripper?

in the meantime,

what bugs me, is that they seem to be killing off hackintosh by refusing to allow discrete GPUs from AMD/NVidia. I have PowerColor 7900XTX collecting in a box collecting dust b/c I can't use it in my hackintosh builds. annoying.

I am still hopeful that this will change tho.

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
what bugs me, is that they seem to be killing off hackintosh by refusing to allow discrete GPUs from AMD/NVidia. I have PowerColor 7900XTX collecting in a box collecting dust b/c I can't use it in my hackintosh builds. annoying.
Apple does not care about Hackintosh. Never has, never will.

Otherwise they could destroy it in one easy stroke, simply by refusing iCloud usage on non-recognized serial numbers. All those numbers we use, that selfsolve.apple.com checkcoverage.apple.com does not recognise — poof and Hackintosh is dead. Computers today are so cloud-service dependent/connected that without iServices they would not be worth it to vast majority of people.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Apple does not care about Hackintosh. Never has, never will.

Otherwise they could destroy it in one easy stroke, simply by refusing iCloud usage on non-recognized serial numbers. All those numbers we use, that selfsolve.apple.com checkcoverage.apple.com does not recognise — poof and Hackintosh is dead. Computers today are so cloud-service dependent/connected that without iServices they would not be worth it to vast majority of people.

I never said Apple cares about haackintosh.

but without more modern hardware support we are relegated to tinkering with old hardware just for the fun of it.. which is cute too.. but disappointing.

when I 1st started building new hackintoshes, I never cared about the GPU b/c my hackintosh was used mostly for email, web browsing, and the like. i was even chided for using such a week GPU but I didn't care b/c the only gaming I did was classic sierra games from the 90s. which ran really well on even the most basic GPU.

these days, I like to have the latest and greatest.

silly me.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
apple is not afraid of hackintosh users, in fact having thousands of geeky users send in their debugs are a godsend to their engineers
The average apple user uses what they buy in a box without experimenting as we all do! :) :)
personally have sent debugs with types of PCs and CPUs that Apple never even had in its catalog....
Who knows the laughs! :) :)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I think we’re just wondering whether Apple will continue to support MacPro and eGPU users with drivers for new versions of AMD graphics cards.

It would also be nice to support latest Broadcom WiFi 6 and 6E modules on x86. Seems these drivers have been compiled only for ARM (i.e., they are not universal binaries).

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
My build am5 is ready
One day later, how is the new build?

The boot time on AM5 is a bit longer than AM4, but I have "Fast Boot" enabled in BIOS and I haven't encountered any problems.

zgamer109

AMD OS X Member
Hello,

Hoping for some help,

I have just finish building this:

Ryzen 9 7950 X3D-32GB DDR 5 16x2-2 NVME SSDS: Samsung 970 Pro - MacOS, WD Black 1TB Windows 11-1TB WD Black Storage HDD
Asus ROG B650E - F Gaming WIFI-FenviT919 - Wifi/BT- Asus TUF RX 6800 XT 16GB- Deepcool C510 Mesh Digital Case -Segotop 850W PSU

The problem is I cannot boot. Im currently using OC 0.8.9
When I boot to the install I either get a denied symbol with the apple support link or I tried turning the gpu off in my config as well and then it just reboots.

Im not really sure what to make of what I see in the debug logs and im hoping I can get any suggestions as to try.

My initial concern was something incorrect with the kernel patches, but I believe they are correct, I even added the additional section so that I can install the new beta.

Thank you and if this isn't the right place for this post please remove.

Attachments

• opencore-2023-03-11-023610.txt
    256 KB · Views: 3
  • EFI.zip
    11.5 MB · Views: 5

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
but without more modern hardware support we are relegated to tinkering with old hardware just for the fun of it.. which is cute too.. but disappointing.
these days, I like to have the latest and greatest.

silly me.
I have 4 Hackintosh builds, so yeah, I feel you— I would love to be able to use better hardware in them. Especially a more modern WiFi/Bt stack.
But I don't expect that to happen.

I honestly don't see any business sense for Apple to create drivers for any new AMD GPU. I thought there is a chance for them to do something so the Intel Mac Pro has options but after seeing der8auer testing MPX W6800 Duo and finding its performance on par or better than 7900XTX — nope. Apple can just say - we already offer good enough and focus on Apple Silicon.

What would be nice to happen is to have AMD fill that vacuum but they either also don't see the business case or are contractually obligated not to do it.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Hello,

Hoping for some help,

Ryzen 9 7950 X3D-32GB DDR 5 16x2-2 NVME SSDS: Samsung 970 Pro - MacOS, WD Black 1TB Windows 11-1TB WD Black Storage HDD
Asus ROG B650E - F Gaming WIFI-FenviT919 - Wifi/BT- Asus TUF RX 6800 XT 16GB- Deepcool C510 Mesh Digital Case -Segotop 850W PSU

When I boot to the install I either get a denied symbol with the apple support link or I tried turning the gpu off in my config as well and then it just reboots.

Im not really sure what to make of what I see in the debug logs and im hoping I can get any suggestions as to try.

My initial concern was something incorrect with the kernel patches, but I believe they are correct, I even added the additional section so that I can install the new beta.

you have to read a bit deeper in this thread
you miss MMIO part at all
to start if you don't want to use a debug version of OpenCore, you can try to use my MMIO whitlist or others to boot (I mean to have a chance to boot)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Hello,

Hoping for some help,

It looks as if your EFI folder has been copied-and-pasted from a different system. Please have a look at this post for guidance on creating a new EFI folder:

macOS Monterey and Ventura do not support "trim" on Samsung 970 Pro, so boot times can be high (30 seconds for some, 2 minutes or more for others). WD, Silicon Power, Kingston, Crucial, and other brands work well.

Also feel free to start a new thread under Installation -> Ventura (assuming Ventura is the target version) and we can help you there.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** SSDT no longer needed in Ventura for I225-V **

In early versions of Ventura we needed a SSDT to modify sub-vendor device ID for i225-V. In current versions of Ventura, the SSDT is no longer needed. We still need to inject AppleIntelI210Ethernet and set boot argument e1000=0.

Thanks to @mariettosun for pointing this out here.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 8.05.29 AM.png

Last edited:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
In early versions of Ventura we needed a SSDT to modify sub-vendor device ID for i225-V. In current versions of Ventura, the SSDT is no longer needed.

will leaving the SSDT in place break anything in newer versions of Ventura?

I'm a creature of habit and have gotten rusty with my hackintoshing since I have 2 very stable AMD hackintoshes that I'm no longer tinkering with.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ
check here
Feb 5, 2023
(about no need of any SSDT for i225)
also in old Ventura or Monterey my motherboard doesn't need of it

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
will leaving the SSDT in place break anything in newer versions of Ventura?

I'm a creature of habit and have gotten rusty with my hackintoshing since I have 2 very stable AMD hackintoshes that I'm no longer tinkering with.
There doesn't seem to be any harm in keeping the SSDT.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.