AMD Rayon R7 5800H Install Monterey kernel Panic

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, the Monterey kernel panic problem has been solved for AMD R7 5800H notebook installation. It is a great thing that the CPU can now run on 8 cores. Thank you guys very much.Thank them for discovering the problem and providing kernel patches @ExtremeX@Visual

Brand: Lenovo
Model: Legion 5 6th Gen
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800h
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600m 8GB ( Separate GPU mode)
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Ram: x2 8GB 3200mhz ddr4
Display: 15.6 1080p 165HZ

Updated October 5, 2023
Problems solved:
1. You do not need to disable XHCI
2. The microphone problem is rectified
3. Monitor brightness can be adjusted, only in Ventura

Unresolved issues:
Failure to wake from sleep

Attachments

• EFI-2023-10-5.zip
    40 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Solution
Panic from Monterey 12.6
View attachment 7258
Thanks. I looked at the sched_prim.c file in the XNU Kernel source code (nice of Apple to let us know exactly where to search) and found that it's related to the TSC (Time Stamp Counter) Syncronization of the CPU cores. The section of the code which gives the panic is: https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/xnu/blob/xnu-8020.140.41/osfmk/kern/sched_prim.c#L2836
Unfortunately Apple didn't update the XNU Source Code for macOS 12.6 yet, but I still managed to find the place where it calls the panic.
Image 1 is the code of XNU that panics if the time between cores does not match (not syncronized properly).

As seen when comparing the Big Sur and Monterey code (Image 2), Big Sur...

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
It has been discussed on previous post that the trackpad does not work
I am aware of that. But on my setups I have gotten them to work before on more than a handful of laptops including Acer, HP and Lenovo.
The key (for most) was in the addition of the SSDT-GPIO and the loading placement of the VoodooI2C, VoodooI2CHID and VoodooPS2Controller.
On some setups they may require also a SSDT-I2CElan or a SSDTI2CSynaptics and/or disabling of VoodooInput in either the VoodooI2C stack
or the VoodooPS2Controller stack. Some may even need one of the mouse kexts within VoodooPS2Controller disabled. Let me show you two
examples:

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 11.00.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 11.02.15 AM.png

The first is from an Acer laptop, the second one from a HP laptop. If the AMD I2C is not working, perhaps it doesn't have a SSDT-SBUS-MCHC enabled?
As that is the driver for the serial bus.

The question is has anyone else ever bothered to try using my files and technique first before saying it can't be done otherwise? I am not saying there aren't any differences in the AMD architecture vs Intel, but are we that certain that AMD I2Cs really don't work at all using these drivers? And if there are such differences, has anyone sought to find/create a solution for it?

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Stop at the forbidden sign because there is GenericUSBXHCI.kext, you need to cancel all kext related to USB before you can install it successfully, you need to restart the computer constantly, it will boot into the system successfully one time, and the USB controller will take effect probabilistically. I don't know why, or upgrade to monterey12.6 directly in bigsur.
I am probably going to install on another box then put ssd back in.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am aware of that. But on my setups I have gotten them to work before on more than a handful of laptops including Acer, HP and Lenovo.
The key (for most) was in the addition of the SSDT-GPIO and the loading placement of the VoodooI2C, VoodooI2CHID and VoodooPS2Controller.
On some setups they may require also a SSDT-I2CElan or a SSDTI2CSynaptics and/or disabling of VoodooInput in either the VoodooI2C stack
or the VoodooPS2Controller stack. Some may even need one of the mouse kexts within VoodooPS2Controller disabled. Let me show you two
examples:

View attachment 7886

View attachment 7887

The first is from an Acer laptop, the second one from a HP laptop. If the AMD I2C is not working, perhaps it doesn't have a SSDT-SBUS-MCHC enabled?
As that is the driver for the serial bus.

The question is has anyone else ever bothered to try using my files and technique first before saying it can't be done otherwise? I am not saying there aren't any differences in the AMD architecture vs Intel, but are we that certain that AMD I2Cs really don't work at all using these drivers? And if there are such differences, has anyone sought to find/create a solution for it?
I know the track pad is working on Big Sur (using extremes efi and on the older efi you helped me with) and I believe I had it working on Monterey before I reinstalled Big Sur… I am going to pull my ssd and install Monterey back on it then put back into the legion this upcoming week… I think we should be able to get it working if not.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Odd.... but the trackpad is NOT working.... I was using it briefly when I was originally using a fork I was working on of the OP's Monterey EFI. BUT... it is not working now on either the OPs EFI, Mine or Extremes. I have to use an external mouse. I do not know if the trackpad working the one time was a fluke or if something changed since I let windows update the trackpad firmware a while ago.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Odd.... but the trackpad is NOT working.... I was using it briefly when I was originally using a fork I was working on of the OP's Monterey EFI. BUT... it is not working now on either the OPs EFI, Mine or Extremes. I have to use an external mouse. I do not know if the trackpad working the one time was a fluke or if something changed since I let windows update the trackpad firmware a while ago.
Are you sure it actually worked? That's impossible... AMD I2C controllers don't work...

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Are you sure it actually worked? That's impossible... AMD I2C controllers don't work...
Yes, I am pretty sure, back earlier in some of my posts mentioned the trackpad and got it working with help from Middleman, but that same EFI, it is not working now, so I dunno what changed. But I cannot replicate it now so disregard. I know because i was using the laptop with big sur without an external mouse, I had to plug one in afterwards however.

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Yes, I am pretty sure, back earlier in some of my posts mentioned the trackpad and got it working with help from Middleman, but that same EFI, it is not working now, so I dunno what changed. But I cannot replicate it now so disregard. I know because i was using the laptop with big sur without an external mouse, I had to plug one in afterwards however.
Can you launch successfully every time in big sur? If possible, replace the latest patch with the EFI you are using now and try to start Monterey. I have tried many ways, but I can't guarantee 100% startup. It seems that the success of startup depends on luck. My tests found that this is not a problem with the USB controller. I don't know what prevented the system from starting up. For the touchpad to work, first get rid of GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
To be fair. the very first time I booted into Big Sur was the best time it worked including internal speakers. Now, the only way is via bluetooth headset. Never got the internal speakers to work again, so I wouldn't be surprised you have the same issue.

My Alienware Area51m is just about perfect except that the Trackpad only rarely works. I do use it with the official Apple external trackpad and that is a workaround. I use to use it with the legion. But not having the ability to have external storage attached sort of makes it useless working with the Legion 5.

It is OK having a shared partition so the Windows partition and Mac Partition can share files. I do load files that I need in the shared partition, that way the legion can access them, but not having the ability to use a usb flash drive when needed is an inconvenience.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
There is a kernel panic when installing macOS Ventura13. Will there be patch support?

You could try setting MaxKernel for the last 5 patches to 22.99.99.

aidasjurk

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone I'm on ASUS Rog Strix G513Q laptop ryzen 7 5800h and I can't install the monterey macos, because I get error: An internet connection is required to install macOS.
And my keyboard and touchpad doesn't work, but usb ports working and my external mouse.
any help?
EDIT: I found solution for internet, but still can't get to work for my keyboard and touchpad.

Last edited:

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone I'm on ASUS Rog Strix G513Q laptop ryzen 7 5800h and I can't install the monterey macos, because I get error: An internet connection is required to install macOS.
And my keyboard and touchpad doesn't work, but usb ports working and my external mouse.
any help?
EDIT: I found solution for internet, but still can't get to work for my keyboard and touchpad.
What GPU is in your laptop? I did a quick check and it mainly have the RTX 3050, or 3060. Is your an AMD GPU?

Last edited:

styde

AMD OS X Member
To be fair. the very first time I booted into Big Sur was the best time it worked including internal speakers. Now, the only way is via bluetooth headset. Never got the internal speakers to work again, so I wouldn't be surprised you have the same issue.

My Alienware Area51m is just about perfect except that the Trackpad only rarely works. I do use it with the official Apple external trackpad and that is a workaround. I use to use it with the legion. But not having the ability to have external storage attached sort of makes it useless working with the Legion 5.

It is OK having a shared partition so the Windows partition and Mac Partition can share files. I do load files that I need in the shared partition, that way the legion can access them, but not having the ability to use a usb flash drive when needed is an inconvenience.
The sound problem come with update versions of AppleALC.kext. All above 1.6.8 have no sound in internal speaker.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The sound problem come with update versions of AppleALC.kext. All above 1.6.8 have no sound in internal speaker.
Right, I am curious if you got a none Radeon Laptop working? Your laptop is working except graphics acceleration?

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Anyone feels that the drives mounting problem can be fixed? Would this be something that Opencore devs would have to deal with due to hardware incompatibility? However, Under Big Sur Drives do mount properly

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
I hope eventually newer updates will improve compatibility. I agree, it did work (usb drive mounting) in Big Sur so we knows it’s possible.

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
I visited many web pages and found that the problems all pointed to EC, but there were SSDT-EC fake devices. I tried to install High Sierra 10.13, which does not require the name of EC device, and found it stuck in the same place. Maybe the original EC0 device had compatibility problems, and the laptop could not disable it. AppleACPIEC of GA402 is correctly loaded to boot-ec, while Legion 5 is loaded to EC0 but not to boot-ec. If AppleACPIEC is loaded to EC0, the startup may be stuck with a high probability

I have tried the following
Block KEXT, and patch mode to remove PNP0C09, may have done wrong, no effect, is there any way to prevent the AppleACPIEC load, or let him load to the boot-ec

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.