Mac OS install on AMD Ryzen (VMWare) Opencore

boltes

AMD OS X Member
Hello,

Unfortunately I cannot start the setup. The VM was created under VMware 17.5. However, a VM with hardware compatibility 17.0 was also created as a test. Neither led to success. The following loop appears in the bootlog:

1698841014235.png

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
Hello,

Unfortunately I cannot start the setup. The VM was created under VMware 17.5. However, a VM with hardware compatibility 17.0 was also created as a test. Neither led to success. The following loop appears in the bootlog:

View attachment 12245
These messages are normal. They should end when the installer reached the next stage.

You must also read my post carefully: :cool:

brx7

AMD OS X Member
I can confirm Sonoma 14.1 working with the provided opencore efi,
using a Ryzen 9 7950X3D, vmware 17.5. next step to see if the icloud stuff works. Shame the IGPU cannot be passed through

brx7

AMD OS X Member
I changed the ram and cpu in vmware, but will it be correctly reflected in mac? the ram shows up and the cpu cores 8 show also,
I did change cpu in the oc plist to intel 9 10900

brx7

AMD OS X Member
Performance is a dog though. any tips editing the plist to improve speed?

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
I managed a little better by changing the SMBIOS as shown in this post:

I'm using 8 core in VMWare but for it to work, first you need to edit the config.plist file as shown in this post:

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
Hello,

View attachment 12245

Did you set this up in VMWare?

1698982873802.png

Normally this is not available. You need to do this:

1) Download Unlocker to patch VMWare

2) After installing VMWare close it.

3) Extract all the unlocker files into a folder, open the command prompt (terminal) in administrator mode and run "win-install.cmd".

This patch releases the Apple Mac OS X version configuration option in VMWare under Virtual Machine Settings, Options, Apple Mac OS X:

use "macOS 14" when configuring your virtual machine

boltes

AMD OS X Member
These messages are normal. They should end when the installer reached the next stage.

You must also read my post carefully: :cool:

Hello, I gave the boot process more time and now the installation worked perfectly! Many Thanks (y)

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
This is mostly due to the fact that VMWare does not support macOS graphic acceleration. Another Ubuntu VM is much faster.

tonybb8

AMD OS X Member
Yes, that's exactly how I did it (in VMWare 17.5) Now I simply gave the boot process more time and now the installation worked perfectly! :cool:
In Windows, turn off "Memory Integrity" in Core Isolation. This will make the boot process time much faster!
Hope this help!

tonight_at_ten

AMD OS X Member
This is brilliant, thank you so much for the guide!

I've successfully got a bootable Mac OS VM running on a Ryzen 5 7600X.

Unfortunately the VM is kernel panicking seemingly at random. Any tips for how to troubleshoot or debug? Thanks again for getting me this far!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-07 141045.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-07 141045.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2023-11-07 141057.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-07 141057.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

boltes

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

i have noticed that macOS starts and works much faster in Vmware if you set the guest operating system to Windows 10x64! Unfortunately, the keyboard no longer works properly. It runs i think because OC-EFI pretends to have a Mac hardware environment anyway.

1699608614798.png

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

i have noticed that macOS starts and works much faster in Vmware if you set the guest operating system to Windows 10x64! Unfortunately, the keyboard no longer works properly. It runs i think because OC-EFI pretends to have a Mac hardware environment anyway.

View attachment 12441
Really?!?! What is your host OS? :unsure:

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
Hi,

View attachment 12441
It's true. I tested it and the keyboard doesn't work. I don't know if there are any Opencore settings that can solve this.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.