Unable to change install Language

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
Hi. I'm trying to install Catalina with OpenCore and every time I try to install I get a French installer. Ive tried setting the language numerous times in the config.plist but still get a French install screen.
Set to - prev-lang:kbd = en-GB
Any thoughts people.?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Leave prev-lang:kbd blank. Before booting the installer reset the NVRAM. Should be an option in OpenCore if you press the spacebar.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The keyboard entry is en-GB:2 or en-GB:250 if using a PC keyboard.

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
So I've tried pressing the space bar but my keyboard doesn't work in the OpenCore pick list.. :(

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
That's nothing to do with the keyboard language setting, that is related to the USB port(s) not working.
  • Have you tried using a different USB port?
  • If it is a wireless Keyboard, have you checked the batteries are working?
  • Do you have the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry set to True/Enabled in your config.plist?

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
So I have the keyboard working in the OpenCore pick list by using the AptioInputFix.efi and the installer is now in English. Thanks

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Are you still using CLOVER as your bootloader?

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
Hi Ed, no I'm using OpenCore. I now have another issue, the first install screen gets to 2 minutes remaining then the system reboots.

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
I was having no luck creating my own EFI so after some searching I found an EFI from another FORUM which allows me to get into the Catalina installer but like I said the system reboots when 2 minutes remaining

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You shouldn't be using any of the Aptio drivers in OpenCore. OpenRuntime.efi replaced all the Aptio drivers.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
What is visible on the boot screen after the system reboots with 2-mins remaining?

Is there a new icon named Install macOS Catalina? If yes, select that icon to continue the installation.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Here is an OpenCore EFI created using OC 0.8.1 that I use for my FX8350/Asus Sabertooth system. The Serial Number etc, have been removed from the PlatformInfo section, but the rest is as I use it on my old FX system.

Use this EFI as a base for setting/creating your own EFI folder.

You will need to to add the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinKernel entries to the config.plist so it works with Catalina. As the current entries are set for running Big Sur or Monterey.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 15.45.45.png

Attachments

• EFI-081.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 11

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@DAFFY a few points to consider/remember.
  1. You won't need to edit the ACPI, Drivers, Resources or Tools folders. They are fine as they are for an FX system.
  2. You may need to edit the Kexts folder, if your Asus board uses a different Ethernet kext, but that is the only kext you should need to change.
  3. The AMD Patches are already set for an 8-Core CPU, so you don't need to change them.
When making any edits to the config.plist, use Corpnewt's ProperTree editor, not OC Configurator. It's not as pretty as the configurator, but you can at least see what is being used in the config.plist.

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
ok thanks

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
im not seeing the option to install Catalina

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
Im trying to install Catalina 10.15.7 so is the Min Date and Min Version different? Should I try 10.15.4 instead

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, Catalina only has the one setting for those two entries so changing the version won't make any difference.

I just checked the /EFI/OC/Drivers folder and HfsPlus.efi is missing from the folder and the config.plist too. Use the revised EFI below.

Attachments

• EFI-081.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 3

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
Hi Ed, just tried your new EFI folder and all I get is a black screen before the pick list

DAFFY

AMD OS X Member
So now I have the installer running but the verbose lines are REALY slow, at the moment it has been running for 15 minutes and I'm currently on line administrator is creating non-ejectable disk image.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I have always found the installation process on my FX system to be slow, once I just left it run overnight. It tends to get there in the end but painfully slow.

It is even worse when trying to install Monterey. I installed Monterey a couple of times, thinking the first attempt was poor due to the old SSD I used. However, I ended up wiping the NVME drive used for the second attempt, as using the OS wasn't pleasant or worthwhile, not with that old system. It dual-boots Big Sur and Windows 10 just fine, and I think that is where its Hackintosh and Windows journey will end.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.