Ryzen 7000 Testing

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
does OC need to be patched in order to install / run Ventura from the send (x8) PCI slot on the X670E motherboard?

I may have damaged the top x16 slot while building this machine b/c try as I might I can't get my 6650XT to show any picture when plugged into the top x16 slot.

on a whim I tried the 2nd x8 slot and Windows 11 booted just fine.

unfortunately Ventura install hangs very early in the boot process when I have the 6650XT installed in the x8 slot. I wonder if it needs to be patched to look for the GPU in the second slot.

I thought I had gotten a faulty GPU but looks like the x16 slot on the mobo is toast. a friend is bringing over an old nVidia GPU to test the top slot but I thinking I have to RMA.

sad times.

A quick update for you Gents.

I'm in the process of RMAing my X670E Creator. its a sad day.

the good news is that I am tinkering with an X670E Hero. its a nice board, but there's no 10 Gig ethernet (n)(n)

regarding my 6650XT woes in the top x16 slot that I quote from my earlier post:

unfortunately the GPU won't output any signal in the top x16 PCI slot of the X670E Hero either!!

the second x8 slot works perfectly OOTB. as it did with the X670 Creator. unfortunately when the 6650Xt is in the second slot, the 3rd x4 slot is blocked. I could of course continue to use the Fenvi card in the top PCI slot.. but that's no fun.

and then it hit me:

on a whim I changed the PCI settings from Auto to PCI 3.0 and of course the top PCI slot came alive. I confirm the 6650XT is running just fine in the top slot but only in PCi 3,0 mode.

changing the setting from Auto to PCI 5.0 or PCI 4.0 yields no GPU output to display, (and when plugged into onboard graphics from the 7950X and booting into Windows there is no mention of 6650XT in Device Manager!)

but dropping to PCI 3.0 in bios settings makes it come alive.

i'm a little annoyed that I have tried 2 ASUS motherboards and they are both behaving terribly.

meantime every time I try to install Ventura on either the Creator or the Hero I am forced to rest CMOS to get either machine to post. thankfully reseting CMOS on the Hero is easy as there is a dedicated button. but on the Creator it was super PITA.

I'm in the process of creating a Monterey install USB b/c I have had no luck with Ventura and I've had enough of it.

the saga continues.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@Galve2000

Perhaps the 6650XT has a fault? Have you reported the problem to the GPU manufacturer (via their online tech support, for example)?

Both of the Asus motherboards should be able to POST with that card in Slot 1, even with PCI set to "Auto" or "4.0". There is really no excuse for this not working, so I suspect there's a problem with the GPU.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
A quick update for you Gents.

I'm in the process of RMAing my X670E Creator. its a sad day.

the good news is that I am tinkering with an X670E Hero. its a nice board, but there's no 10 Gig ethernet (n)(n)

regarding my 6650XT woes in the top x16 slot that I quote from my earlier post:

unfortunately the GPU won't output any signal in the top x16 PCI slot of the X670E Hero either!!

the second x8 slot works perfectly OOTB. as it did with the X670 Creator. unfortunately when the 6650Xt is in the second slot, the 3rd x4 slot is blocked. I could of course continue to use the Fenvi card in the top PCI slot.. but that's no fun.

and then it hit me:

on a whim I changed the PCI settings from Auto to PCI 3.0 and of course the top PCI slot came alive. I confirm the 6650XT is running just fine in the top slot but only in PCi 3,0 mode.

changing the setting from Auto to PCI 5.0 or PCI 4.0 yields no GPU output to display, (and when plugged into onboard graphics from the 7950X and booting into Windows there is no mention of 6650XT in Device Manager!)

but dropping to PCI 3.0 in bios settings makes it come alive.

i'm a little annoyed that I have tried 2 ASUS motherboards and they are both behaving terribly.

meantime every time I try to install Ventura on either the Creator or the Hero I am forced to rest CMOS to get either machine to post. thankfully reseting CMOS on the Hero is easy as there is a dedicated button. but on the Creator it was super PITA.

I'm in the process of creating a Monterey install USB b/c I have had no luck with Ventura and I've had enough of it.

the saga continues.
I had the same issue on a Z590 board, if I didn't manually set the Pcie slot to 3.0 I wouldn't get a display. I forget which card I was using at the time but it didn't require spoofing the ID to work. There may be a bios update available for your card that might help or as @Casey says it may be semi-borked, probably not the motherboards.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Galve2000

Perhaps the 6650XT has a fault? Have you reported the problem to the GPU manufacturer (via their online tech support, for example)?

Both of the Asus motherboards should be able to POST with that card in Slot 1, even with PCI set to "Auto" or "4.0". There is really no excuse for this not working, so I suspect there's a problem with the GPU.
what I need is another BIOS update I think.

I tried 2 different Graphics cards: a 6650XT and a 6900XT. both only work in the 2nd x8 slot at 4.0 speeds. both work fine in the top PCI slot when the X670E is forced into PCI 3.0 mode.

I'm starting to suspect a faulty power supply. it works fine, but these cheep ass plastic PCI power cables are nothing like the braided ones I got for my 5950XX/570 build.

the X670E has a physical switch to choose between AUTO, PCI 4.0, and PCI 3.0 mode. unfortunately when I tried to force PCI 4.0 this morning all hell broke loose.

I did learn something, however:

the default setting is AUTO mode and when you 1st boot up a light will flicker near this toggle. I never gave it much thought, bur the light is AMBER color. it turs out the AMBER color is what is illuminated when you toggle PCI 3,0 mode. when you toggle PCI 4.0 mode the light GREEN. so the mobo is defaulting to PCI 3.0 on it's own.

I suspect the X670E Creator is doing the same thing although it's all boxed up and will be sent back to ASUS today so I cannot test this for sure.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Last edited:

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
For those interested, Corp released a script recently that automatically makes MmioWhitelist values from an OpenCore DEBUG log.

Also, SSDTTime can now make SSDT-PLUG-ALT by using the PluginType option which also acts as an SSDT-CPUR.

Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
what I need is another BIOS update I think.

I tried 2 different Graphics cards: a 6650XT and a 6900XT. both only work in the 2nd x8 slot at 4.0 speeds. both work fine in the top PCI slot when the X670E is forced into PCI 3.0 mode.

I'm starting to suspect a faulty power supply. it works fine, but these cheep ass plastic PCI power cables are nothing like the braided ones I got for my 5950XX/570 build.

the X670E has a physical switch to choose between AUTO, PCI 4.0, and PCI 3.0 mode. unfortunately when I tried to force PCI 4.0 this morning all hell broke loose.

I did learn something, however:

the default setting is AUTO mode and when you 1st boot up a light will flicker near this toggle. I never gave it much thought, bur the light is AMBER color. it turs out the AMBER color is what is illuminated when you toggle PCI 3,0 mode. when you toggle PCI 4.0 mode the light GREEN. so the mobo is defaulting to PCI 3.0 on it's own.

I suspect the X670E Creator is doing the same thing although it's all boxed up and will be sent back to ASUS today so I cannot test this for sure.
Do either of the cards support above Pcie 3.0? Even if they do there is very little difference in performance between the two standards when you talk about video cards. Might be worth pinging Asus and see what they say.

Last edited:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Do either of the cards support above Pcie 3.0? Might be worth pinging Asus and see what they say.
The 6650 XT supports PCI 4.0 x8 only and works in the second PCI slot of both motherboards in 4.0 mode.

The 6900XT supports PCI 4.0x16 but only works in the second slot where it defaults to 4.0x8.

the 6900XT boots fine in PCI 3.0 on the top slot.

i'm starting to suspect a faulty 7950X but all the tests I run on it come back 100% ok

Last edited:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The 6650 XT supports PCI 4.0 x8 only and works in the second PCI slot of both motherboards in 4.0 mode.

The 6900XT supports PCI 4.0x16 but only works in the second slot where it defaults to 4.0x8.

the 6800XT boots fine in PCI 3.0 on the top slot.

i'm starting to suspect a faulty 7950X but all the tests I run on it come back 100% ok
I'd start up a conversation with Asus.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Question, have you tried removing any Nvme Pcie SSDs and booting off a SATA or USB Drive? Probably exhibit the same behavior but worth a try.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

There are several benchmarks available comparing the various performance level of Pcie 1.0 through Pice 4.0. Their conclusions are that differences between 3.0 and 4.0 are nominal. It's obvious you are frustrated by the behavior of the board detecting your graphic cards but in everyday use setting the top slot to 3.0 is not going to affect performance. I think that behavior would probably still bug me but not to the point of returning the board, then again for $1000....guess I'd want it perfect.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Question, have you tried removing any Nvme Pcie SSDs and booting off a SATA or USB Drive? Probably exhibit the same behavior but worth a try.
I have only used Seagate FireCuda 530 NVME drives on both X670E motherboards.

every time I try to install OSX er.. MacOS t(both Ventura and Most recently Monterey) the installation fails and I have to reset CMOS to get my system to boot.

on the X670E Creator I was only using the top NVME slot.

on the Hero, I thought the top NVME slot was a PCB heatsink so I didn't think to touch it and so I installed 2 Seagate FireCuda 530s on NVME sots 3 and 4.

The top NVME slot is covered by my Nactua NHD-15 and I don't feel like removing it in order to access the top NVME slot.

As someone mentioned above, PCI 3.0 isnt the end of the world. I am just annoyed that this is the behavior I am experiencing from 2 motherboards from a trusted manufacturer.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

every time I try to install OSX er.. MacOS t(both Ventura and Most recently Monterey) the installation fails and I have to reset CMOS to get my system to boot.

on the Hero, I thought the top NVME slot was a PCB heatsink so I didn't think to touch it and so I installed 2 Seagate FireCuda 530s on NVME sots 3 and 4.

The top NVME slot is covered by my Nactua NHD-15 and I don't feel like removing it in order to access the top NVME slot.

As someone mentioned above, PCI 3.0 isnt the end of the world. I am just annoyed that this is the behavior I am experiencing from 2 motherboards from a trusted manufacturer.
Sure, my question was if you had either of your graphics cards in the top slot and tried to boot from a USB Drive, say Linux or Windows instead, without any Nvme SSDs installed on the board does the card initialize display using the auto setting in the bios.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

You can try this version of my EFI, I'm using the same board as Casey. USB Ports will need to be reconfigured and serial numbers added at a minimum. If it doesn't work consider using the MimoWhiteList configurator from here. #1,910

Attachments

• EFIAM5.zip
    19.2 MB · Views: 12

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Sure, my question was if you had either of your graphics cards in the top slot and tried to boot from a USB Drive, say Linux or Windows instead, without any Nvme SSDs installed on the board does the card initialize display using the auto setting in the bios.
no I didn't think to try that. maybe I should. I am considering removing the NHD-15 cooler to install an NVME on the top slot maybe I will remove all the NVMEs and before reinstalling any, try to boot with the 6650XT in 16x4.0 mode to see if I have better luck.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You can try this version of my EFI, I'm using the same board as Casey. USB Ports will need to be reconfigured and serial numbers added at a minimum. If it doesn't work consider using the MimoWhiteList configurator from here. #1,910
Thank you.. I will try it tonight!

AMD OS X Member
Please, any EFI, tips for a 7950X with ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO ?

Here is details:
Motherboard: ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
CPU: Ryzen 9 7950x
GPU: Sapphire AMD RADEON RX 6600 XT 8G D6
RAM: Kingston FURY 32GB DDR5 5600
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | NVMe PCIe 4.0

PoMpIs

AMD OS X Member
Please, any EFI, tips for a 7950X with ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO ?

Here is details:
Motherboard: ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
CPU: Ryzen 9 7950x
GPU: Sapphire AMD RADEON RX 6600 XT 8G D6
RAM: Kingston FURY 32GB DDR5 5600
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | NVMe PCIe 4.0

This is the last one I made for my x670e hero + RX6800XT and 7950x....

It's been a while since I updated it, that device is being used only with Windows

Attachments

• EFi Hero x670e.zip
    11.2 MB · Views: 21

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@ExtremeXT,

Which application was used to disassemble AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion several weeks ago? I'm currently comparing IOThunderboltFamily between Big Sur and Monterey. I have Hopper for Mac; although it generates full C-style disassembly, some parts of it don't look quite right.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@ExtremeXT,

Which application was used to disassemble AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion several weeks ago? I'm currently comparing IOThunderboltFamily between Big Sur and Monterey. I have Hopper for Mac; although it generates full C-style disassembly, some parts of it don't look quite right.
I used the latest Ghidra version, it's cross platform for the most used operating systems and open source, it has an "Export to C" function somewhere, I can give more detailed steps tomorrow, or a disassembly if you send me the files.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.