Ryzen 7000 Testing

mariettosun

AMD OS X Member
We can check quite easily in Linux. Here's what I get when running Ubuntu on my Asus X670E Gene with BIOS 0925:
Bash:
$ cd /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-0/

$ ls
authorized  device  device_name  generation  nvm_active0  nvm_version  power  subsystem  uevent  unique_id  vendor  vendor_name  wakeup

$ cat nvm_version
We can see NVM 34.0.
1679672797024.png

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
NVM 38 -- we should try connecting a Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 device to see if it works...

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@mariettosun,

Is BIOS 1003 regression locked, which means it cannot be downgraded? Because it's a beta version I doubt it's regression locked, but Asus has not been up front with this information recently.

Last edited:

mariettosun

AMD OS X Member
@mariettosun,

Is BIOS 1003 regression locked, which means it cannot be downgraded? Because it's a beta version I doubt it's regression locked, but Asus has not been up front with this information recently.
I haven't tried yet to downgrade to previous bios because in this I see some improvements on DDR5 stability on higher clock than previous
So I will stay on 1003 for now
Thunderbolt bios upgrade was a long step in update process
I dont see any improvement on hackintosh side

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Just installed beta BIOS 1003:
  • NVM 38.0 does not support TB1/TB2
  • NVM 34.0 (previous) also does not support TB1/TB2
  • NVM 31.0 is probably the last version to support TB1/TB2
  • BIOS 1003 does not seem to be regression locked -- I could select an older BIOS file, although I did not proceed with the downgrade

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Wow thank you both for the heads up on the thunderbolt support changes! Hmm I’m sure that could be problematic for some.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
A little NAS story...

Recently I backed the Storaxa NAS drive on Kickstarter, which will run TrueNAS Scale. While waiting for the item to deliver (this one looks like it just might) I decided to learn a little about TrueNAS Scale. This software does not have the same extravagant GUI as QNAP's QTS/QuTS and Synology's DSM. But it does have plenty of on-screen help and online documentation.

This morning I installed TrueNAS Scale on some spare SSDs connected to one of my Hackintoshes. It's a bare bones installation:
  • Two 256GB SATA SSDs mirrored, running ZFS, with deduplication disabled (don't wanna touch that on a 16GB system)
  • Installed on bare metal, not within a Proxmox or other VM
Some questions for those who might have some experience with this:
  • Is it standard practice to install TrueNAS in a VM (Proxmox)?
  • Within TrueNAS Scale we have the option to install Pi-Hole, Plex, and a few other applications. But the apps won't install or run because "Kubernetes Service" was not started. I haven't researched this issue (I am somewhat familiar with Kubernetes itself), but if anyone is running apps within TrueNAS Scale, how did you get them to start?
  • Finally (for now), what are your personal impressions of TrueNAS Scale? I must admit I'm spoiled by QNAP's QTS/QuTS interface, and I was hoping TrueNAS would offer something similar...

Last edited:

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Recently I backed the Storaxa NAS drive on Kickstarter, which will run TrueNAS Scale.
Let's hope for you that it is not a scam after all and you'll get the hardware. But, for the sake of your data, do NOT run it as intended with two VMs under Proxmox. As described, the hardware is seriously underpowered.

This morning I installed TrueNAS Scale on some spare SSDs connected to one of my Hackintoshes. It's a bare bones installation:
  • Two 256GB SATA SSDs mirrored, running ZFS, with deduplication disabled (don't wanna touch that on a 16GB system)
  • Installed on bare metal, not within a Proxmox or other VM
Good options. Mirroring the boot drive is unnecessary for a home NAS which does not need "five nines" uptime; just keep a copy of the configuration file outside of the NAS, and reinstall on a new drive if the boot drive fails.

Some questions for those who might have some experience with this:
  • Is it generally practice to install TrueNAS in a VM (Proxmox)?
It is actually advised against, unless you really know what you're doing. Adding an extra layer between ZFS and your data is a liability.

• Within TrueNAS Scale we have the option to install Pi-Hole, Plex, and a few other applications. But the apps won't install or run because "Kubernetes Service" was not started. I haven't researched this issue (I am somewhat familiar with Kubernetes itself), but if anyone is running apps within TrueNAS Scale, how did you get them to start?
Did you try to install Docker containers directly? The standard instructions for Debian won't work with SCALE. You have to go through the (tedious) GUI to set a container, or install a Helm chart. The latter is required for a usable Pihole, because advanced Kubernetes sorcery is required for Pihole to access the standard ports—and setting all other devices to use DHCP and/or DNS at custom ports >8000 is a major pain in the lower back.
In practice, you use what is provided by the TrueCharts team—and if your favourite app is not in their catalogue, you're out of luck.

• Finally (for now), what are your personal impressions of TrueNAS Scale? I must admit I'm spoiled by QNAP's QTS/QuTS interface, and I was hoping TrueNAS would offer something similar...
Not knowing QTS/QuTS, I don't know what you miss in TrueNAS.
As a happy CORE user, I was not convinced by Angelfish, and did not try Bluefin. I eventually found it easier to set up a lightweight server (J1900) with Ubuntu Server+Portainer+PiHole+TrueCommand. Actually, for plain NAS use, CORE is still the recommended way to go.

Take home message for other users:
A retired hack can be converted into a home NAS. Just install a suitable OS to turn it into a storage appliance: OpenMediaVault, UnRaid, TrueNAS or XigmaNAS.
If the purpose is to have a 10 GbE NAS, second-hand server NIC AIC are cheap ($50 for a SolarFlare 5122F/6122F/7122F on eBay, from $100 for a Chelsio T520).
Mind, however, that
  • This can turn into another rabbit hole to fall into.
  • While recycling a consumer/gamer build is convenient, for serious and secure use, server-grade hardware with ECC RAM is recommended.
  • Going for the übergeek ZFS solutions (TrueNAS, XigmaNAS) enhances the hardware requirements (minimum RAM 16 GB for basic use; a 10 GbE NAS probably needs 32 GB to begin with), comes with higher front costs and requires some efforts to study the documentation and plan storage layout beforehand.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@etorix,

Very helpful feedback.

Because my TrueNAS Scale is installed on a scratch system, I will in fact scratch it now and test both (a) OpenMediaVault and (b) UnRaid. I was unpleasantly surprised to see that TrueNAS Scale's web GUI does not even provide a file browser. OpenMediaVault does. So that's where I'm headed next...

Storaxa offers 3 CPU upgrade options:
  • AMD 5825U (w/ECC memory as an option), which is 8 cores, 16 threads
  • Intel i5-1235U (12th Gen with 2 P-cores and 8 E-cores)
  • Intel i7-1265U (12th Gen with 2 P-cores and 8 E-cores -- same as 1235U, but higher clocks and AMT support)
These are far better options than Synology or QNAP at anywhere near the price. I have configured the following model (still subject to change):
  • AMD 5825U with 32GB ECC 3200 MHz
  • Two 2.5GbE Intel i226-V
  • Two 10GbE Aquantia AQC-113C
SATA ports are controlled by ASMedia 1166 on PCIe 3.0 x2.

block-5825-U.png

Last edited:

etorix

AMD OS X Member
Because my TrueNAS Scale is installed on a scratch system, I will in fact scratch it now and test both (a) OpenMediaVault and (b) UnRaid. I was unpleasantly surprised to see that TrueNAS Scale's web GUI does not even provide a file browser. OpenMediaVault does. So that's where I'm headed next...
To just play with the GUI, you may install to a virtual machine (Virtual Box, or other). This is also a great way to test resiliency by removing drives or "playing" with a hex editor on one of the virtual data disks and watch ZFS work its magic of correcting on the fly.
Of course, do not commit actual, valuable, data to a VBox install, and do not expect actual performance figures.

I have not seen a file browser in OMV, and I don't know what it would be useful for. All FreeNAS "children", OMV, XigmaNAS and TrueNAS, operate on a strict segmentation: The administrator manages the NAS but does not access data; users mount shares—and browse files using whatever file browser they fancy—but do not operate the NAS.

These are far better options than Synology or QNAP at anywhere near the price. I
If it looks too good to be true, it probably is…

With this upgrade the I/O looks a bit less ludicrous (the four M.2 each have one lane of their one instead of all sharing one…).
If the ASM1166 is one of the third-party SATA controllers which do not collapse under heavy load,
if the ACQ113C NIC does behave well (that's a big "if"… last time I heard of it on the TrueNAS forum, there was an "experimental" driver for it, to be loaded by manually setting a tunable),
if everything is properly set up, with PCI pass-through of all required devices,
the whole thing looks like it could, almost, be made to work.
That's a general theme with this Storaxa project: It looks nice, but the numbers do not quite add up, technically, or economically. And a virtualised TrueNAS would still be a dangerous configuration to put into the hands of consumers.

I hope for you it is not a scam after all.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

I hope for you it is not a scam after all.
Have you seen the comments on Kickstarter? Perhaps the comments are only available to backers. Storaxa is maintaining a very active presence, answering virtually all concerns.

OMV has a file browser plug-in. All QNAP and Synology systems have built-in file browsers. Permissions can be set to block access if needed. Each user can have their own home directories, for example.

I have used my QNAP’s file browser to copy files from a locally connected USB flash drive or SD card. I’ve also used the file browser to quickly see what I’ve stored in each share without having to mount each share individually.

We are focused on home use rather than enterprise use.

Last edited:

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
Macos ventura 13.4 beta is out

Attachments

• IMG_20230328_194120.jpg
    IMG_20230328_194120.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 4

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
13.4 is safe :D

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 19.09.14.png

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
Screenshot 2023-03-28 alle 21.19.39.png

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No changes to the AMD drivers/kexts or IOMatch entries, so no new AMD GPU's added to macOS.

I am fairly sure Apple would have mentioned this if they had added the RX7000 series AMD GPUs to their MacPro lineup.

etorix

AMD OS X Member
I'm fairly sure AMD would have mentioned if they had released a Radeon Pro W7900 yet.
Apple uses the Pro version in their MPX modules, not the consumer/gamer RX.
So, assuming that Apple intends to release a W7900 MPX module for the soon-to-be-discontinued Intel MacPro, the hardware part is not ready and it's a bit early to expect a software leak.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You are correct, it would be the W7000 series GPU that Apple would use, not the RX series.

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
Rx6650xt view with spoof only
Screenshot_2023-03-28_alle_21.50.22.png

Rx6650xt with spoof and other modification
Screenshot_2023-03-28_alle_22.56.00.png

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.