Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
which settings were made in Opencore ?

ManuelB

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@ExtremeXT could you take a look at it, I can't see the forest for the trees anymore

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 1

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member

ManuelB

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@mariettosun
I try to create a new config again.....
Today my Broadcom card BCM94360NG was busy with the installation and then there was an update that I loaded and installed right away

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2022-12-07 um 22.48.49.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2022-12-07 um 22.48.49.png
    264.4 KB · Views: 11

ddmilkshake

AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ Hi Casey! I read through the post for the debugging procedure and I am totally grateful to see you helping out a fellow modder with such detailed steps. Although I have the same CPU, but I am using Asock B650 PG Riptide board. What's the general steps I should take to generate my SSDTs? I don't think I can just jump in and reuse what you have posted in here.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ Hi Casey! I read through the post for the debugging procedure and I am totally grateful to see you helping out a fellow modder with such detailed steps. Although I have the same CPU, but I am using Asock B650 PG Riptide board. What's the general steps I should take to generate my SSDTs? I don't think I can just jump in and reuse what you have posted in here.
Hello @ddmilkshake,

A few days ago we prepared an outline of the steps for configuring OpenCore on AM5. If you click on the link below and select Item 2 you'll get right to the outline.

ManuelB

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ small update of the 7950X is ordered and will be installed at the weekend

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ small update of the 7950X is ordered and will be installed at the weekend
Wow! Holy $^$%!

Was it easy to order one? Didn't sell out immediately?

The card will go on sale in US tomorrow morning.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Amazon US has them. https://amzn.to/3HvdMad ( Yes it's an affiliate link :p )
Oh I need a vacation! :) Today was RTX 7900 release day so all I could see when I looked at his post was 7900 XTX and not 7950X.

AMD is really gonna confuse us with both CPU and GPU being the 7000 series.

Luckily I will be on vacation next two weeks…

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
RTX? Vacation is definitely needed :LOL:
There are just too many X’s and T’s and 7's and 9's and R's :)

It’s all a blur after listening to nearly 10 YouTubers rattling off benchmark after benchmark.
  • (R)yzen
  • (R)adeon
  • (R)TX
  • 7900XT <-- GPU
  • 7900XTX
  • 7900X <-- CPU
  • 7950X

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Thank you Steve for supporting me in my rant about too many X’s…

FF to 3:15 if you’re in a hurry

ManuelB

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Ich überlege, ob ich die 7900 xtx bestellen soll…. Was mich stört ist der hohe Stromverbrauch…. Was meint ihr.. bin schon am suchen, noch kein Shop hat es gelistet

I'm thinking about ordering the 7900 xtx.... What bothers me is the high power consumption.... What do you think.. I'm already looking, no shop has listed it yet

Last edited by a moderator:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@ManuelB Du kannst immer noch versuchen, die Karte undervolten und damit den Stromvebrauch zu senken. Karten laufen meistens oberhalb der besten effizienz und man kann mit 5% weniger Performance 20% am Verbrauch sparen. Hängt auch etwas vom Glück ab, einen besseren Chip zu erwischen.

You can still try to undervolt the card and thus reduce power consumption. Cards usually run above the best efficiency and you can save 20% on consumption with 5% less performance. It also depends a little on the luck of catching a better chip.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Ich überlege, ob ich die 7900 xtx bestellen soll…. Was mich stört ist der hohe Stromverbrauch…. Was meint ihr.. bin schon am suchen, noch kein Shop hat es gelistet

I'm thinking about ordering the 7900 xtx.... What bothers me is the high power consumption.... What do you think.. I'm already looking, no shop has listed it yet
Yes even idle power consumption is high, but that very much seems like a driver or firmware issue. Even though performance is as expected, it is still significantly better than 6900/6950.

For us in the Macintosh and Hackintosh world, it doesn’t make much sense to compare performance against Nvidia RTX because those cards effectively don’t exist for us. So a generation to generation leap should be considered from the 6900/6950 to the 7900XT/XTX. And that seems like a good leap.

And we should not forget about DisplayPort 2.1 and new high-refresh rate monitors coming soon to CES.

Imagine: True 5K high refresh rate monitors over a single DP 2.1 cable. No need for merging two DP 1.2 streams over Thunderbolt and paying the Thunderbolt price.

I don’t play games, but I really value high-resolution, high-refresh rate, high native contrast, high color accuracy monitors. Monitors are probably the single most vital component of the human-to-computer interface.

RTX 4000 does not support DP 2.1.

Last edited:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Well, I hopped in the AMD queue and once I finally got through, no 7900 XTX cards were available. I considered the 7900 XT, but there just wasn't enough of a performance gain from my 6950 XT for me to want to justify dropping the cash now, especially when I'm still in the just hoping phase of MacOS support for 7000 series gpus. Besides, I've bought used my whole life, so I don't mind waiting a bit longer:)

However, CaseySJ's points really resonate with me, especially since this generation of cards could be it for us!

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Yes they're sold out everywhere!

I was tempted early this morning, but was able to control myself. :) Didn't want to pay extra for a board-partner card. Only interested in cards that still have a USB-C connector such as the reference cards from AMD.

Here was my shopping cart from 4:48am with Proceed to Checkout...

IMG_7891.PNG

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Well, I hopped in the AMD queue and once I finally got through, no 7900 XTX cards were available. I considered the 7900 XT, but there just wasn't enough of a performance gain from my 6950 XT for me to want to justify dropping the cash now, especially when I'm still in the just hoping phase of MacOS support for 7000 series gpus. Besides, I've bought used my whole life, so I don't mind waiting a bit longer:)

However, CaseySJ's points really resonate with me, especially since this generation of cards could be it for us!
I bought two used 6800 reference cards in last few months, upgraded my kids' builds from RX 5500 XT. It is super nice upgrade and cards work so well that I am thinking of selling my 6900 XT and replacing with 6800. eBay is full of really good reference specimens, they are 2-slot cards, fit in just about any SFF case...pretty much perfect.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
IMG_3373.PNG

No good idea for now :)

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
I bought two used 6800 reference cards in last few months, upgraded my kids' builds from RX 5500 XT. It is super nice upgrade and cards work so well that I am thinking of selling my 6900 XT and replacing with 6800. eBay is full of really good reference specimens, they are 2-slot cards, fit in just about any SFF case...pretty much perfect.
Ah yes, the 5500XT. Fond memories. I had one in a super compact build before I grabbed the 6950XT. Major difference haha! But yes you're right- so many great deals to be had now on 6000 series.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.