macOS Sonoma on AMD

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
With only changing the MaxVersion on the kernel patches and updating Lilu macOS Sonoma works just fine :D

Edit: I don't recommend updating your current system with Sonoma. If you want to test it use a different drive/partition.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 16.12.09.png

silkroadonsale

AMD OS X Member
With only changing the MaxVersion on the kernel patches and updating Lilu macOS Sonoma works just fine :D

Edit: I don't recommend updating your current system with Sonoma. If you want to test it use a different drive/partition.

View attachment 10859
already tested but I don't want to play macOS with SIP disable to have Broadcom back. so I reinstall Ventura back. Ventura OS working like charm for me.

craighazan

Donator
Donator

craighazan

Donator
Donator
@madmax11
Here's your EFI, the issue was your patches were out of date. The current AMD Vanilla contains 21 entries, yours had 20.

Attachments

• EFI-2.zip
    36.2 MB · Views: 59

Graystarr

AMD OS X Member
Any ideas for wifi? I have BCM4360. or recommend a card that works?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Any ideas for wifi? I have BCM4360. or recommend a card that works?
Currently BCM Wi-Fi is Broken, but BT does work. There is a fix for it involving OCLP patching, but it sounds a bit fiddly to me. I'm using Intel Wi-Fi/BT and works in Sonoma, but without Airdrop or Handoff.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
@madmax11
Did you reset NVRAM?, you changed your SMBIOS from MacPro7,1 to iMacPro1,1. Don't worry I'm a rubbish hacker.

Last edited by a moderator:

zrsstar

AMD OS X Member
The only problem I encountered was that after configuring the plist-related content, I restarted to prepare to use oclp and the result was stuck on the login interface, unable to input, and the cursor did not flash at this time. . . I don't know the reason, but I have tried various debuggings to no avail.

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
Hi!
I really need your help! I have been struggling with installing MacOS Sonoma to my computer using OpenCore bootloader. I'm not really new to this, I did some work before, and i had a working Ventura on my PC as well. Now I want to upgrade to Sonoma, so i downloaded the recovery of it. I made an installer from the begining for it, downloaded all the updated Kexts, my Bios, the OpenCore(0.9.5) and so on. I booted the installer and it started to load the system, but after it a grey screen appeard, an error showed and it simply restarted. I catched the moment before the restart with camera, and it showed: "IOPlatformHaltRestartAction -> Apple SMC" (I'll link the picture). I can't really find a solution, I have struggling with it for 2 whole day. I will link my config.plist to this comment as well as the moment before the grey screen appeared and the moment before the restart.
I hope we can find a solution!
Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• config.plist
    42.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 28

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
Post a copy of your whole OC EFI folder, as the config.plist doesn’t tell the whole story about your OC setup.

After updating the Bios, did you reset the Bios so your system will work with macOS?

Thanks for your fast answer!
I attached a copy of my whole EFI folder below.
Yes, after I updated the BIOS I resetted it and then configured it using the guide you linked in your comment.
By the way I guess my bios is fine, because Ventura booted from it.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 12

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK, your OC EFI doesn't look bad, but there are a couple of issues that aren't right.
  1. First, is your use of iMac20,1 SMBIOS in a system that lacks an APU/IGPU.
    • The iMac SMBIOS is only meant for use when an integrated GPU is present.
    • This is not the case in your system, you have a discrete GPU with no APU present.
    • So you should be using either the iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.
  2. Second, is your USBMap.kext is not correct for your Gigabyte 570X motherboard.
    • You have 7 x ports set as Type-C, when your motherboard doesn't contain a single Type-C port or motherboard header.
    • These 7 x ports are spread between the XHC1 and _SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0 USB controllers.
      • 4 x ports should be set as USB3 (3) not Type-c+sw (9),
      • 3 x ports should be set as Internal (255).
Your motherboard has the following USB ports available.

Integrated in the CPU:
  1. 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports on the back panel (8 x ports total)
Chipset:
  1. 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB headers (8 x ports total)
  2. 6 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers) (6 x ports total)
When setting your USB ports you need to follow this line of thought.
  1. Any port served from a USB3 physical or USB3 motherboard header should be set with the connector type USB3 (3), including the USB2 virtual ports.
  2. Any physical USB2 port (Black Tang on the back panel) should be set with connector type USB2 (0).
  3. Any port served from a USB2 motherboard header should be set with connector type 'Internal' (255), not USB2 (0) and definitely not Type-C+SW (9).
Your USBMap.kext should contain the following ports:
  • 16 x ports set with connector type USB3 (3)
  • 2 x ports set with connector type USB2 (0)
  • 4 x ports set with connector type Internal (255)
  • 0 x ports set with connector type Type-c+sw (9)
Your USBMap.kext is missing one port from the _SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0 Usb controller - port SS03. This is fine if you are not using it.

Another issue is that your USBMap.kext is set for use with a system that uses the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, not the iMac20,1 that is currently in your config.plist. So the kext won't work with your current setup.

Fixing these issues may give you a better chance of booting macOS Sonoma.

I would also suggest you add the ResetNvramEntry.efi driver to your /EFI/OC/Drivers folder and your config.plist. As you will need to use it before you boot with your revised OC setup, using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

To use this Driver once you have added it to your OC setup, simply press the Spacebar while on the OC boot screen. This will unhide the Tools and drivers present in your OC setup, among which should be the ResetNvramEntry.efi icon.

This will simply wipe all existing NVRAM entries and automatically reboot the system. So when it next boots it uses the NVRAM entries in your revised setup, not the old and possibly incorrect settings.

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
OK, your OC EFI doesn't look bad, but there are a couple of issues that aren't right.
  1. First, is your use of iMac20,1 SMBIOS in a system that lacks an APU/IGPU.
    • The iMac SMBIOS is only meant for use when an integrated GPU is present.
    • This is not the case in your system, you have a discrete GPU with no APU present.
    • So you should be using either the iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.
  2. Second, is your USBMap.kext is not correct for your Gigabyte 570X motherboard.
    • You have 7 x ports set as Type-C, when your motherboard doesn't contain a single Type-C port or motherboard header.
    • These 7 x ports are spread between the XHC1 and _SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0 USB controllers.
      • 4 x ports should be set as USB3 (3) not Type-c+sw (9),
      • 3 x ports should be set as Internal (255).
Your motherboard has the following USB ports available.

Integrated in the CPU:
  1. 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports on the back panel (8 x ports total)
Chipset:
  1. 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB headers (8 x ports total)
  2. 6 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers) (6 x ports total)
When setting your USB ports you need to follow this line of thought.
  1. Any port served from a USB3 physical or USB3 motherboard header should be set with the connector type USB3 (3), including the USB2 virtual ports.
  2. Any physical USB2 port (Black Tang on the back panel) should be set with connector type USB2 (0).
  3. Any port served from a USB2 motherboard header should be set with connector type 'Internal' (255), not USB2 (0) and definitely not Type-C+SW (9).
Your USBMap.kext should contain the following ports:
  • 16 x ports set with connector type USB3 (3)
  • 2 x ports set with connector type USB2 (0)
  • 4 x ports set with connector type Internal (255)
  • 0 x ports set with connector type Type-c+sw (9)
Your USBMap.kext is missing one port from the _SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0 Usb controller - port SS03. This is fine if you are not using it.

Another issue is that your USBMap.kext is set for use with a system that uses the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, not the iMac20,1 that is currently in your config.plist. So the kext won't work with your current setup.

Fixing these issues may give you a better chance of booting macOS Sonoma.

I would also suggest you add the ResetNvramEntry.efi driver to your /EFI/OC/Drivers folder and your config.plist. As you will need to use it before you boot with your revised OC setup, using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

To use this Driver once you have added it to your OC setup, simply press the Spacebar while on the OC boot screen. This will unhide the Tools and drivers present in your OC setup, among which should be the ResetNvramEntry.efi icon.

This will simply wipe all existing NVRAM entries and automatically reboot the system. So when it next boots it uses the NVRAM entries in your revised setup, not the old and possibly incorrect settings.
Thank you for your answer!
I did what you wrote, except the USBMap.kext because I couldn't deal with it, so I just deleted it (I think it's not a big problem, because I used Ventura without USBMapping for a long time and it was good to go). So I rewrote the SMBIOS values, added ResetNvramEntry.efi to the config and booted it up again. But I have the same issue as before.
I also tried to boot it up in safe mode from the OC Bootloader, but it booted into a circle with line through it(I will link the picture from it). I will link my updated EFI folder as well.

Thank you, for your help! Appreciated!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.7 MB · Views: 8
  • err.jpg
    err.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 29

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Still not sure what is causing the issue but here is a cleaned up and slightly revised EFI folder for you to try.

Attachments

• EFI-2.zip
    11 MB · Views: 31

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
Still not sure what is causing the issue but here is a cleaned up and slightly revised EFI folder for you to try.
Thank you!!
I tried it and it booted up so much faster to the Bootloader than mine, but I still have the same issue as before.
But I guess I found the problem. I tried to download the recovery of Sonoma (BaseSystem.dmg, BaseSystem.chunklist) with OpenCore’s “macrecovery” with this command: py macrecovery.py -b Mac-27AD2F918AE68F61 -m 00000000000000000 download. I don’t know if it is right, I just found it on the internet, because on the official site, there was no command for it. And I guess it downloaded a recovery of another MacOS version.
If thats the problem, can you link a command for it, or can you suggest me a method to download it?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.