AMD Rayon R7 5800H Install Monterey kernel Panic

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, the Monterey kernel panic problem has been solved for AMD R7 5800H notebook installation. It is a great thing that the CPU can now run on 8 cores. Thank you guys very much.Thank them for discovering the problem and providing kernel patches @ExtremeX@Visual

Brand: Lenovo
Model: Legion 5 6th Gen
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800h
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600m 8GB ( Separate GPU mode)
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Ram: x2 8GB 3200mhz ddr4
Display: 15.6 1080p 165HZ

Updated October 5, 2023
Problems solved:
1. You do not need to disable XHCI
2. The microphone problem is rectified
3. Monitor brightness can be adjusted, only in Ventura

Unresolved issues:
Failure to wake from sleep

Attachments

• EFI-2023-10-5.zip
    40 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Solution
Panic from Monterey 12.6
View attachment 7258
Thanks. I looked at the sched_prim.c file in the XNU Kernel source code (nice of Apple to let us know exactly where to search) and found that it's related to the TSC (Time Stamp Counter) Syncronization of the CPU cores. The section of the code which gives the panic is: https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/xnu/blob/xnu-8020.140.41/osfmk/kern/sched_prim.c#L2836
Unfortunately Apple didn't update the XNU Source Code for macOS 12.6 yet, but I still managed to find the place where it calls the panic.
Image 1 is the code of XNU that panics if the time between cores does not match (not syncronized properly).

As seen when comparing the Big Sur and Monterey code (Image 2), Big Sur...

kalkmann

AMD OS X Member
with the 6600m, and you have the rear ports working for usb drives?
Yes, with the 6600m. Turning off the XHC1 controller, in mine all the rear ports work. I was without the 2 side ports and bluetooth of the AX-210. I'm using an Orico external dongle for bluetooth.

I'm already using the laptop for editing work in FCPX and adobe package in Ventura. Stable and fast. I'm already happy I'll wait patiently for new discoveries about Sleep and Trackpad.

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hello, my GitHub repo has received a number of updates including a new workaround to the USB issue, with SSDT-XHC0-DISABLE, we are disabling the XHC0 controller which houses: the internal camera, the USB port on the left and the USB-C port. Disabling this controller results in a perfect boot with the other USB ports fully working.
can you please link your github, I would like to try the legion 5 again.... (its been sitting collecting dust lol)

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yes, with the 6600m. Turning off the XHC1 controller, in mine all the rear ports work. I was without the 2 side ports and bluetooth of the AX-210. I'm using an Orico external dongle for bluetooth.

I'm already using the laptop for editing work in FCPX and adobe package in Ventura. Stable and fast. I'm already happy I'll wait patiently for new discoveries about Sleep and Trackpad.
wow man congrats! Hs anyone here with the 5800h had the same success. Im curious as to why the 8 core doesnt work the same way that is so weird

kalkmann

AMD OS X Member
can you please link your github, I would like to try the legion 5 again.... (its been sitting collecting dust lol)
I never used github (for this purpose). I'll study and send the link when it's ok

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
It's in the OP.

kalkmann

AMD OS X Member
Repo address: https://github.com/kalkmann/Legion-5600H-Hackintosh

It was the first time I used github to publish anything (in addition to the little experience with AMD hacks), so don't expect anything elaborate and constantly updated.

Thanks to everyone here, especially @ExtremeXT for the help, the original concept of disable one USB Controller, corrections and repository template that served as basis. Hope it helps someone!

Last edited:

kalkmann

AMD OS X Member
Thank you all for your efforts, disabling XHC1 according to @kalkmann's method, successfully getting rid of GenericUSBXHCI.kext, this is another great breakthrough, Legion 5 can finally be used and installed normally after many difficulties, thank you

The original concept of disabling one USB Controller is from @ExtremeXT in this post below. Thank you!

Hello, my GitHub repo has received a number of updates including a new workaround to the USB issue, with SSDT-XHC0-DISABLE, we are disabling the XHC0 controller which houses: the internal camera, the USB port on the left and the USB-C port. Disabling this controller results in a perfect boot with the other USB ports fully working.

Last edited:

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Repo address: https://github.com/kalkmann/Legion-5600H-Hackintosh

It was the first time I used github to publish anything (in addition to the little experience with AMD hacks), so don't expect anything elaborate and constantly updated.

Thanks to everyone here, especially @ExtremeXT for the help, the original concept of disable one USB Controller, corrections and repository template that served as basis. Hope it helps someone!
Awesome!!! Thank you! I will try it this upcoming week and report back!

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member

Attachments

• EFI-13.3.zip
    17.6 MB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.