AMD Rayon R7 5800H Install Monterey kernel Panic

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, the Monterey kernel panic problem has been solved for AMD R7 5800H notebook installation. It is a great thing that the CPU can now run on 8 cores. Thank you guys very much.Thank them for discovering the problem and providing kernel patches @ExtremeX@Visual

Brand: Lenovo
Model: Legion 5 6th Gen
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800h
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600m 8GB ( Separate GPU mode)
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Ram: x2 8GB 3200mhz ddr4
Display: 15.6 1080p 165HZ

Updated October 5, 2023
Problems solved:
1. You do not need to disable XHCI
2. The microphone problem is rectified
3. Monitor brightness can be adjusted, only in Ventura

Unresolved issues:
Failure to wake from sleep

Attachments

• EFI-2023-10-5.zip
    40 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Solution
Panic from Monterey 12.6
View attachment 7258
Thanks. I looked at the sched_prim.c file in the XNU Kernel source code (nice of Apple to let us know exactly where to search) and found that it's related to the TSC (Time Stamp Counter) Syncronization of the CPU cores. The section of the code which gives the panic is: https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/xnu/blob/xnu-8020.140.41/osfmk/kern/sched_prim.c#L2836
Unfortunately Apple didn't update the XNU Source Code for macOS 12.6 yet, but I still managed to find the place where it calls the panic.
Image 1 is the code of XNU that panics if the time between cores does not match (not syncronized properly).

As seen when comparing the Big Sur and Monterey code (Image 2), Big Sur...

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I compared @cr4700 FACP.aml again, and found that his is 0x800, is the correct AMDCPU parameters, my FACP.aml is 0X400, this website says that 0X400 is the old Intel, which I think is strange, this is AMD's FACP.aml, how to use Intel CPU parameters

That's correct. Which was why I provided the alternative SSDT-CPUR-5800Hs to you both before to test. Reason being was that I'd found two things that differed between your DSDT and my B550 Ryzen 9 5900X build DSDT which you had been using up till then. One was these values of 0x400 on yours and the second was the naming of the CPU registers from processor to device, which required a different wrap.

CNGZ2022

AMD OS X Member
在第一次重新启动后以及当它开始在ssd上提取时,如果没有我的nvmefix.kext,它就不会超过ionvme。我相信这是因为我正在使用的SSD类型。我在所有其他运行相同SSD(XPG Gammix)的台式机上都有nvme kext,所以这可能就是为什么这些台式机没有遇到麻烦的原因。我现在是几个重新启动到蒙特雷升级。如果我试图使用Big Sur EFI进行升级,它会崩溃,我必须使用Monterey EFI启动Big Sur才能让它在没有内核崩溃的情况下进行升级。
您好,您能提供您现在正在使用的 EFI 吗?我也一直遇到这个问题。我无法进入安装程序

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
您好,您能提供您现在正在使用的 EFI 吗?我也一直遇到这个问题。我无法进入安装程序
This is for Big Sur... You will need to add serial number and other info under Platform Info. This is still a work in progress, No Graphics Acceleration in Big Sur, but no USB Ports or more than 1 CPU in Monterey. Its been a hectic couple weeks, have not worked on it any further.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.5 MB · Views: 19

CNGZ2022

AMD OS X Member
This is for Big Sur... You will need to add serial number and other info under Platform Info. This is still a work in progress, No Graphics Acceleration in Big Sur, but no USB Ports or more than 1 CPU in Monterey. Its been a hectic couple weeks, have not worked on it any further.
thanks!

CNGZ2022

AMD OS X Member
这是给大苏尔的...您需要在“平台信息”下添加序列号和其他信息。这仍然是一项正在进行的工作,在大苏尔没有图形加速,但在蒙特雷没有USB端口或超过1个CPU。这是一个忙碌的几个星期,没有进一步的工作。
使用EFI后,它仍然卡在这里,安装了版本11.6.7,这个问题已经好几天没有解决了

CNGZ2022

AMD OS X Member
After using your EFI, it is still stuck here, installed version 11.6.7, this problem has not been solved for several days.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try this revised EFI folder, see if it works any better.
Can you confirm which Laptop you are using.

试试这个修改后的 EFI 文件夹,看看它是否工作得更好。
你能确认你使用的是哪台笔记本电脑吗?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.4 MB · Views: 3

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
After using your EFI, it is still stuck here, installed version 11.6.7, this problem has not been solved for several days.

Hmm, make sure to RESET NVRAM when loading off this EFI, even if it hangs there, keep trying, it will eventually go past that. Make sure NVMEFIX.kext is present as well.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Back to trying to install an older version of Big Sur to get the XHCIPortlimit (or whatever its called)... When I try to boot the installer we made the other week with the older version of Big Sur, it forever loops with this error... (It does boot into the latest Big Sur, with USB support, no GPU support tho of course.)

IMG_0237.jpeg

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    33.5 MB · Views: 3

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
After booting in to Big Sur did you install the Heliport app, so your Intel WiFi card would be recognised? Did a new 'Ethernet' port appear in the Network Device list?

You might be better served using the version of Airportitlwm.kext designed for Big Sur, in place of the Itlwm.kext and Heliport app. As the Airportitlwm.kext works with the native apple WiFi app.

See this page for details on the two kexts etc.

CNGZ2022

AMD OS X Member
Hmm, make sure to RESET NVRAM when loading off this EFI, even if it hangs there, keep trying, it will eventually go past that. Make sure NVMEFIX.kext is present as well.
Sorry, I have tried for more than 30 times, but these two interfaces are still not entered into the system, I do not know the reason, BIOS closed AMD-V, PSP and security boot, please kindly advise again, thank you

CNGZ2022

AMD OS X Member
The problem is solved. The hard drive is incompatible. I found the Type-C interface to work, I could expand the second screen and connect it to my iPhone, and maybe just use an OTG cable to solve the USB illiteracy problem

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
After booting in to Big Sur did you install the Heliport app, so your Intel WiFi card would be recognised? Did a new 'Ethernet' port appear in the Network Device list?

You might be better served using the version of Airportitlwm.kext designed for Big Sur, in place of the Itlwm.kext and Heliport app. As the Airportitlwm.kext works with the native apple WiFi app.

See this page for details on the two kexts etc.

That I did not…. It was working in Monterey without heliport and I was hardwired. I did not put much effort into it on Big Sur because I was hoping to get past the usb issue in Monterey. For the time being, I wonder if there is a way to get RX 66000 support under Big Sur?

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
The problem is solved. The hard drive is incompatible. I found the Type-C interface to work, I could expand the second screen and connect it to my iPhone, and maybe just use an OTG cable to solve the USB illiteracy problem
Yes, most of us had to replace the oem Samsung ssds to get it to work.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Unfortunately, you can't back-port the AMD Kexts and macOS framework files from Monterey to Big Sur.

The RX6600 kexts & Framework files are set to require Monterey or newer in order for them to work. This is usually written in to the code/info.plists etc.

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Unfortunately, you can't back-port the AMD Kexts and macOS framework files from Monterey to Big Sur.

The RX6600 kexts & Framework files are set to require Monterey or newer in order for them to work. This is usually written in to the code/info.plists etc.
That’s what I thought… if it were the other way around there would be 3rd party drivers for other GPUs. I am pretty confident that we will eventually get the Monterey issue figured out, or Ventura anyways. Just got to keep trying.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have you been able to undertake the USB port discovery in Big Sur?

If not don't worry.

Ventura is looking good, on my Intel Coffee Lake system, especially for a Beta release!

OG Nerd

Donator
AMD OS X Member
Have you been able to undertake the USB port discovery in Big Sur?

If not don't worry.

Ventura is looking good, on my Intel Coffee Lake system, especially for a Beta release!
I have, they all work in Big Sur and all CPU cores function, but the same efi does not work in Monterey, to get Monterey to boot, as others, need the cpus=1 flag and no USB port works no matter what we try.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.