Unable to download installer

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I am trying to execute the command "python ./macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download" so it will download, but running into issues. I am on Windows 10 and I have Python 3 installed and I have rebooted.

I have had a working BigSur MacOS for sometime now and I thought I would upgrade to Monterey, though the update did not go according to plan. I will be happy to go back to BigSur but I am unable. The new instyallation wont allow me to read from a USB and the Internet is not functioning, so I need to reinstall again, which is no issue. The problem I am facing is I cannot get the command line to execute the download. I have tried researching the issue but with my lack of knowledge of specific words to help me search this issue, I'm hitting a dead a brick wall.

I know it is probably something so simple, but I have tried running the following:

python ./macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download
py ./macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download
git ./macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download
macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download
python macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download
py macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 00000000000000000 download

I don't get what the difficulty is. I had this downloaded once before and I never had this much issue. I have changed directory to the macrecovery folder and I have moved the folder to desktop to see if that helps. I have opened CMD as Admin and that didn't help either. I'm praying someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. When the CMD finally accepts what I type, it tells me "Access Denied".

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I found the issue. I had previous versions of Python on my system. I uninstalled them all and I toggelled the 2 settings in the app exclusion aliases for App Installer to off position for Python.exe and Python3.exe. The command then worked like a charm.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I found the issue. I had previous versions of Python on my system. I uninstalled them all and I toggelled the 2 settings in the app exclusion aliases for App Installer to off position for Python.exe and Python3.exe. The command then worked like a charm.
Everything was going well, I was going to reinstall Monterey but there is a problem with it being able to download the installer. I guess this is a reason youy suggested the other installtion method. I'm happy to do that, but I do know how to get the correct files from the pkg file. I am researching that now.

The other thing I noticed is that I was able to do a recovery (well, partly anyway). Although the system can see that I had BigSur installed and that I have been using Time Machine to do regular backups. It tells me that it cannot restore the backup using Install Assistant, but the other option is not available to me. If I login to the computer with Moneterey running, it cannot see any usb devices. If I plug in a usb drive, nothing happens. There is no internet even with a ethernet connected. I appear to be unable to add files manually through usb option. If we can somehow get around this issue, then I will be able to edit the kexts correctly and fix the plist file. Due to this issue, the system cannot see the 2nd hard drive connected, hence I'm unable to access the restore files from within the system.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Everything was going well, I was going to reinstall Monterey but there is a problem with it being able to download the installer. I guess this is a reason youy suggested the other installtion method. I'm happy to do that, but I do know how to get the correct files from the pkg file. I am researching that now.

The other thing I noticed is that I was able to do a recovery (well, partly anyway). Although the system can see that I had BigSur installed and that I have been using Time Machine to do regular backups. It tells me that it cannot restore the backup using Install Assistant, but the other option is not available to me. If I login to the computer with Moneterey running, it cannot see any usb devices. If I plug in a usb drive, nothing happens. There is no internet even with a ethernet connected. I appear to be unable to add files manually through usb option. If we can somehow get around this issue, then I will be able to edit the kexts correctly and fix the plist file. Due to this issue, the system cannot see the 2nd hard drive connected, hence I'm unable to access the restore files from within the system.
I am not able to run the installassistant.pkg on my windows pc. I am trying to understand how to add this to my usb drive so it will run. I've looked at several guides but I continue to hit dead ends because software incompatiblities.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I was about to install BigSur fresh and when I had to choose install location I noticed I had access to all my disks. I now have the option to restore but when looking to restore from my backup drive I do not know what up select. There appears to be many folders. Should I just do the EFI or is it easier just to continue with the new install and then use Time Machine once I’m in to restore everything?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I would recommend you install macOS Catalina 10.15.7. There are a number of reasons for this:
  1. You can download and use a Recovery dmg (500MB) for Catalina.
    1. This is the method proposed when using Windows to create the USB installation drive.
  2. If you want to install Big Sur or Monterey you have to download and use the full macOS (12GB+) installer as there are no Recovery options with the latest versions of macOS.
    1. Apple removed the recovery options from Big Sur and Monterey, presumably this will be the same with Ventura.
  3. You can use the XhciPortLimit quirk in Catalina to discover and activate your USB ports, before you update to Big Sur or Monterey.
    1. The quirk stopped working in macOS Big Sur 11.3 or newer, so discovering and activating your USB ports is a lot more difficult in the recent versions of macOS.
    2. The USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext you create in Catalina will work in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura when it is released shortly.
  4. This is an easier but more time consuming path to running the latest version of macOS.
  5. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable copy of Catalina on a spare SSD/HDD, so you don't have to reinstall macOS from scratch if your current installation gets messed up.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I would recommend you install macOS Catalina 10.15.7. There are a number of reasons for this:
  1. You can download and use a Recovery dmg (500MB) for Catalina.
    1. This is the method proposed when using Windows to create the USB installation drive.
  2. If you want to install Big Sur or Monterey you have to download and use the full macOS (12GB+) installer as there are no Recovery options with the latest versions of macOS.
    1. Apple removed the recovery options from Big Sur and Monterey, presumably this will be the same with Ventura.
  3. You can use the XhciPortLimit quirk in Catalina to discover and activate your USB ports, before you update to Big Sur or Monterey.
    1. The quirk stopped working in macOS Big Sur 11.3 or newer, so discovering and activating your USB ports is a lot more difficult in the recent versions of macOS.
    2. The USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext you create in Catalina will work in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura when it is released shortly.
  4. This is an easier but more time consuming path to running the latest version of macOS.
  5. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable copy of Catalina on a spare SSD/HDD, so you don't have to reinstall macOS from scratch if your current installation gets messed up.
I attempted to install Catalina, but ran into some issue. I was not able to catch the intaller log information but I did see something that mentioned Ensuring something was not copy protected. I will post my EFI file on here. My SSD is not copy protected, so I don't believe it is that.

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    29.2 MB · Views: 4

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I attempted to install Catalina, but ran into some issue. I was not able to catch the intaller log information but I did see something that mentioned Ensuring something was not copy protected. I will post my EFI file on here. My SSD is not copy protected, so I don't believe it is that.
I cannot believe how blind I am. I finally realised that the GibMacOS-master program actually created your installtion for you. I downloaded the version of catalina and had it unpack it onto the usb drive. Everything looked ok until I went to install. I am adding the full USB drive in a Zip, so you can view it all. When I tried to boot the USB I get the following error " OC failed to load configuration". I am researching this error now

Edit: I feel so stupid. I forgot to place all the Kexts and plist etc. OH how Silly

Edit 2: Upon running the USB, I got the following error "OCS No Schema for LegacyEnable at 2 index, context <NVRAM> !
I did reset the NVRAM and attempted again, but repeated the error.

Attachments

• EFI USB Alison.rar
    29.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try the EFI attached.
  • It has the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries set to boot macOS Catalina.
  • I have made a few amendments to the Drivers, Kexts, Resources > Audio and Tools folders.
  • I have edited the config to match the folder edits and made a few minor edits to the OC quirks to better match your AMD Ryzen system.
You don't need the 'boot' file alongside your EFI folder, as that file is only meant for Legacy bios systems, not a UEFI bios system such as you are using.
  1. Copy the whole EFI folder to the EFI partition on your USB installer. Make sure you remove the 'boot' file if it is present.
  2. When you get to the OC GUI boot screen, press the spacebar.
  3. This will unhide a number of tools.
  4. Select the 'ResetNvramEntry.efi' icon, this will clear Nvram and reboot your system.
  5. On the next boot select your macOS Catalina installation icon.
  6. Hopefully it will not kernel panic, if it does simply take a photo of the verbose text and post a copy here, so I can see what is happening/causing the KP.
Also for future Reference don't use the RAR system to compress a folder/files if you can help it. Instead use the ZIP method, as macOS has a built in Zip app. RAR compression requires users to download and install a third-party app.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 4

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Try the EFI attached.
  • It has the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries set to boot macOS Catalina.
  • I have made a few amendments to the Drivers, Kexts, Resources > Audio and Tools folders.
  • I have edited the config to match the folder edits and made a few minor edits to the OC quirks to better match your AMD Ryzen system.
You don't need the 'boot' file alongside your EFI folder, as that file is only meant for Legacy bios systems, not a UEFI bios system such as you are using.
  1. Copy the whole EFI folder to the EFI partition on your USB installer. Make sure you remove the 'boot' file if it is present.
  2. When you get to the OC GUI boot screen, press the spacebar.
  3. This will unhide a number of tools.
  4. Select the 'ResetNvramEntry.efi' icon, this will clear Nvram and reboot your system.
  5. On the next boot select your macOS Catalina installation icon.
  6. Hopefully it will not kernel panic, if it does simply take a photo of the verbose text and post a copy here, so I can see what is happening/causing the KP.
Also for future Reference don't use the RAR system to compress a folder/files if you can help it. Instead use the ZIP method, as macOS has a built in Zip app. RAR compression requires users to download and install a third-party app.
Do we need SmallTreeIntel82576.kext, IntelBluetooth-v2.2.0 or AirportItlwm_v2.1.0_stable_Catalina.kext ? I'm not getting an internet connection, so it isn't installing. I do hope I am using the gibMacOS-master correctly. I first start the "MakeInstall.py" which makes the USB, I then run "gibMacOs.py" which I then choose the installation and then I paste the path of the downloaded files, so it extracts it to the USB. Where exactly does this extract to? as I do not see any additional folder created such as "com.apple.recovery.boot"

Edit: I am still seeing that "OCS No Schema for LegacyEnable at 2 index, context <NVRAM> ! ", but it does continue and not just freeze there and this is still persistant after ResetNVRAM is completed. Is this something I should just ignore?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Do we need SmallTreeIntel82576.kext, IntelBluetooth-v2.2.0 or AirportItlwm_v2.1.0_stable_Catalina.kext ? I'm not getting an internet connection, so it isn't installing. I do hope I am using the gibMacOS-master correctly. I first start the "MakeInstall.py" which makes the USB, I then run "gibMacOs.py" which I then choose the installation and then I paste the path of the downloaded files, so it extracts it to the USB. Where exactly does this extract to? as I do not see any additional folder created such as "com.apple.recovery.boot"

Edit: I am still seeing that "OCS No Schema for LegacyEnable at 2 index, context <NVRAM> ! ", but it does continue and not just freeze there and this is still persistant after ResetNVRAM is completed. Is this something I should just ignore?
Did you follow the Dortania guide here? It shows you everything you need to know to create the installer

For the com.apple.recovery.boot you are supposed to create that folder in the USB once the files were extracted to it and then move both BaseSystem files into that.

For the kexts, you can use AirportItlwm_v2.1.0_stable_Catalina.kext AND IntelBluetooth.kext-v2.2.0. Howwever I would advise to use only BluetoolFixup.kext and IntelBluetoothFirmware if you're using Big Sur or Monterey.

As for the OCS No Schema error it is because you are using OC 0.8.3 which has since removed the LegacyEnable feature from OC 0.8.2. So you need to delete that key from your config.plist to remove the warning.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Did you follow the Dortania guide here? It shows you everything you need to know to create the installer

For the com.apple.recovery.boot you are supposed to create that folder in the USB once the files were extracted to it and then move both BaseSystem files into that.

For the kexts, you can use AirportItlwm_v2.1.0_stable_Catalina.kext AND IntelBluetooth.kext-v2.2.0. Howwever I would advise to use only BluetoolFixup.kext and IntelBluetoothFirmware if you're using Big Sur or Monterey.

As for the OCS No Schema error it is because you are using OC 0.8.3 which has since removed the LegacyEnable feature from OC 0.8.2. So you need to delete that key from your config.plist to remove the warning.
I was meaning for the gibMacOS. I know how to set everything up using the OpenCore way. But I cannot find where gibMacOs extracts the files to? I never noticed any changes in the publicrelease folder. I did download it via the OpenCore method and I have the system installed and up and running. We just have an issue with no wifi detected or bluetooth and there appears to be an issue with the Internet that is dying some minutes after a reboot, I am getting internet. I believe this might be the exact same problem I ran into on my original post, but I will await to hear back from you as to what extra Kexts you advise me to add.

Also thank you for your information about 7zip @Edhawk I had no prior knowledge to that and 7zip is a great free tool
I have removed LegacyEnable from the config.plist, so much nicer now, TY

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I was meaning for the gibMacOS. I know how to set everything up using the OpenCore way. But I cannot find where gibMacOs extracts the files to? I never noticed any changes in the publicrelease folder. I did download it via the OpenCore method and I have the system installed and up and running. We just have an issue with no wifi detected or bluetooth and there appears to be an issue with the Internet that is dying some minutes after a reboot, I am getting internet. I believe this might be the exact same problem I ran into on my original post, but I will await to hear back from you as to what extra Kexts you advise me to add.

Also thank you for your information about 7zip @Edhawk I had no prior knowledge to that and 7zip is a great free tool
I have removed LegacyEnable from the config.plist, so much nicer now, TY
To set up the BT and wireless it’s quite easy. For Intel BT you’d need Bluetoolfixup.kext and IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext. For wireless use Airportitlwm.kext stable version from the OpenIntelWireless Github. Reboot with ResetNVRAM if your EFI has issues.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
To set up the BT and wireless it’s quite easy. For Intel BT you’d need Bluetoolfixup.kext and IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext. For wireless use Airportitlwm.kext stable version from the OpenIntelWireless Github. Reboot with ResetNVRAM if your EFI has issues.
I suspected I would need these, so I went ahead and added them. The problem I have is I have stable internet for the first few minutes, then it just dies. A couple times i rebooted and there was no internet at all. Sometimes a reboot is whats needed to get internet again. I am not sure if there is a power save setting in the config.plist that might be disabling my internet or if it is a driver or kext issue. I will add my efi again as 7zip for it to be examined.

As a side note, one another SSD, I have began installtion of Moneterey, using the original EFI @Edhawk put for me in my other thread. I am able to get internet working and I begun the installation but the install was short lived and I wasn't able to get a pic of the error, but it was something to do with a pkg file that it couldn't get. I'm guessing internet issue

@Edhawk You mentioned to me in my thread a few months ago about trying to install a earlier version of Moneterey using gibMacOs, but as moneterey doesn't have any recovery versions, it wont allow me to do the extracting and i do not know how to pull the necessary files from the installassistant.pkg on a windows pc

Attachments

• EFI.7z
    24.2 MB · Views: 0

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I suspected I would need these, so I went ahead and added them. The problem I have is I have stable internet for the first few minutes, then it just dies. A couple times i rebooted and there was no internet at all. Sometimes a reboot is whats needed to get internet again. I am not sure if there is a power save setting in the config.plist that might be disabling my internet or if it is a driver or kext issue. I will add my efi again as 7zip for it to be examined.

As a side note, one another SSD, I have began installtion of Moneterey, using the original EFI @Edhawk put for me in my other thread. I am able to get internet working and I begun the installation but the install was short lived and I wasn't able to get a pic of the error, but it was something to do with a pkg file that it couldn't get. I'm guessing internet issue
Okay. In that case you are running Catalina, you may need to revert to the itlwm.kext version.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
Okay. In that case you are running Catalina, you may need to revert to the itlwm.kext version.
I will make some changes to my Efi and see how it goes. I also just edited my last post with some extra info that hopefully we can soft out so i can try and install Monterey.

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I will make some changes to my Efi and see how it goes. I also just edited my last post with some extra info that hopefully we can soft out so i can try and install Monterey.
Oh WOW am I having a fun night. My Catalina OS SSD just died on me. I attempted to reinstall but the 1st try I was told that Fetching from the Server failed. 2nd try it told me my installation was damaged and the 3rd I got this big load of text. I will remove the itlwm ext and put the other back and see if that has any impact. But this one is bizare

Edit: It was because I forgot to place SmallTree back in the folder. I decided it was a good idea to keep a folder for Catalina and a folder for Monterey on my windows pc. That way anything I test, I can always keep a copy of the correct kexts etc. but when I was setting those folders up, I clearly forgot that kext.

The internet utility in setup screen was showing me I had Ethernet but the link speed was 0. That told me everything.

Attachments

• image_50429185.JPG
    image_50429185.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

DancingShinryu

AMD OS X Member
I got my Catalina OS SSD back up and running. It was SmallTree that caused the issues. Once it was added back the installation was a breeze. I’ve also noticed I have stable internet through the Ethernet. I am only using the itlwm.kext with the others from your EFI that was posted on this thread. I added SmallTree, but that was it. Now I seem to have stable internet, I might download the Airportitlwm.kext and remove the itlwm.kext and see if the internet is still stable. If not, I can just revert the changes as I don’t need the internet active like you do for installing just to test this.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.