Success - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 / FX 8350 / Nvidia GTX 690 / OC 0.7.6 - Big Sur 11.6.2 & Monterey 12.1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, too little information for me to understand what is happening with your system.
  1. Does the system fail to boot after a hard power down?
  2. Can you access the BIOS?
  3. Do you see the OC boot screen?
  4. Can you use the ClearNvram & ResetSystem tools from the OC boot screen?
  5. What Verbose messages do you see when you boot macOS?
  6. Can you provide a photo of the kernel panic screen?

GiannisLar

AMD OS X Member
I managed to boot to Monterey. Everything worked but I have a problem with the login screen .It crashes everytime I turn on my PC and I can't login

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I would recommend reinstalling Monterey, over the top of the current installation. Hopefully that will enable you to fix the login issue.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Here is an updated OpenCore EFI for this old AMD FX system.
  • The EFI is based on OC 0.8.1, using OC GUI boot screen.
  • It works with Big Sur and Monterey.
  • It is possible this EFI will work with macOS Ventura but that is still to be tested.
  • The SMBIOS has been changed from MacPro6,1 to MacPro7,1 to allow for Ventura testing.
  • SMBIOS data needs to be added to the config.plist, as I removed my SMBIOS data.
Hope this helps others with similar AMD FX systems.

Attachments

• EFI-081.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 65

laurent

AMD OS X Member
hello i used your efi file to install big sur 11.6.1 on my gigabyte 970a-ds3p motherboard amdfx8350 and it works very well
except audio
I used the voodookext
but it is not charging
invalid parameter
would you be kind enough to help me thank you

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 10

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Sorry I use a USB audio speaker attached to my Dell display, so I never looked in to whether the built-in Realtek audio works. I know it doesn't work with AppleALC.kext.

When I was using this system on Yosemite and El Capitan, VoodooHDA.kext was all that was needed to get audio working, but it was never great.

Unless you are based in the UK and use a British PC keyboard you need to remove or change a couple of entries in your config.plist.

Boot Arg - bcmfx-country=GB should be changed to bcmfx-country=Fr (assuming you are based in France). If you don't need this boot arg delete it from your config.

prev-lang-kbd > en-GB:250 should be changed to one of the French keyboard options below. Or just remove the British PC keyboard entry.

French keyboard options.png

Lime

AMD OS X Member
  • It is possible this EFI will work with macOS Ventura but that is still to be tested.
  • The SMBIOS has been changed from MacPro6,1 to MacPro7,1 to allow for Ventura testing.
  • SMBIOS data needs to be added to the config.plist, as I removed my SMBIOS data.

Hello Edhawk,
I tried a clean install of monterey last update with your EFI without success, I get a black boot scream. I am currently running Big Sur 11.7 1. My initial installation of big 11.6.7 was done in online mode with base system on usb key then upgrade to 11.7.1. I used your EFI 2 folder and changed the smsbios to 6.1. I am asking for your help. I am attaching my hardware system and efi which is running under big on 11.7.1.
In the bios settings, UEFI or other SE works
Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• EFI (2).zip
    9 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 16-44-38 https __termbin.com.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 16-44-38 https __termbin.com.png
    330.5 KB · Views: 12

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try the OC 0.8.3 EFI attached below. It is set for an AMD FX system 8-core CPU with UEFI bios.

Just needs your MLB, ROM, Serial Number and SystemUUID to be added to the config.plist. Use the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS in place of your current MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.

I am using it to boot Big Sur and Monterey.

It should work for Ventura too, with the addition of CryptexFixup.kext.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 32

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Try the OC 0.8.3 EFI attached below. It is set for an AMD FX system 8-core CPU with UEFI bios.

Just needs your MLB, ROM, Serial Number and SystemUUID to be added to the config.plist. Use the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS in place of your current MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.

Note that while OC 0.8.3 is the absolute minimum for Ventura, OC 0.8.5 is recommended as it contains newer Mac SMBIOS data and a lot of other small fixes.

Lime

AMD OS X Member

Hello, thank you for Your message and help. I installed your efi and change

Hello Edhawk,
Thank you for your message and help. I used your EFI and change the SMBIOS to MacPro7.1.
It worked on the first boot but I did not install. I did all my backups and disk clones first.
Then I wanted to proceed with the installation and I'm stuck on a gray screen with only the mouse visible after the Apple logo.
It is not a problem of key, like fakesmc or nvram?
I don't dare to change the config.plist settings.
I attach the EFI with Macpro 7.1.
Do you have a solution?
I really appreciate your help, so thank you in advance.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221101_135059_tigr.jpg
    IMG_20221101_135059_tigr.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 9

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I don't see anything wrong or requiring attention in your EFI.

Which graphics card are you using?

Lime

AMD OS X Member

What is strange is that at the first attempt to boot with your efi, I arrived at the Monterey installation window. After I made my backups of Big Sur.
I decide to do the installation, I have not changed anything in the EFI and this gray screen appears after the apple logo, only the mouse apparent.
I created the bootable usb key several times with the same results

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
How long did you wait with the Grey screen and mouse showing before you rebooted the system?

You may need to wait for a significant time (15-20 minutes as a minimum), as the macOS installation sometimes pauses (appears to stall but hasn't) for some long periods, especially on older AMD systems.

You need to be really patient with the macOS installation.

What would also help is if you remove temporarily any other SSD/NVMe/HDD drives, leaving just the proposed macOS drive and the macOS USB installer plugged in. As other drives can cause unnecessary issues/delays in the macOS boot process.

Lime

AMD OS X Member
How long did you wait with the Grey screen and mouse showing before you rebooted the system?

You may need to wait for a significant time (15-20 minutes as a minimum), as the macOS installation sometimes pauses (appears to stall but hasn't) for some long periods, especially on older AMD systems.

What would also help is if you remove temporarily any other SSD/NVMe/HDD drives, leaving just the proposed macOS drive and the macOS USB installer plugged in. As other drives can cause unnecessary issues/delays in the macOS boot process.
Thank you again for being there for me.
I only waited 2 minutes because the first time the Monterey menu appeared immediately. So I will try with more patience.
You don't think there is a problem with nvram/prev-lang:kbd/data

Lime

AMD OS X Member

I managed to install Monterey by starting the installation from app store update and continued until the migration of my data.
The problem is during the loading progress with the Apple logo, when switching to the video driver, the screen becomes black with a bar that appears with the mouse cursor.
I am sure that this is a setting with my Radeon rx 570 graphics card.
Could you please look in the latest EFI attached.
Thanks in advance.

Lime

AMD OS X Member

What would also help is if you remove temporarily any other SSD/NVMe/HDD drives, leaving just the proposed macOS drive and the macOS USB installer plugged in. As other drives can cause unnecessary issues/delays in the macOS boot proces

Monterey is installed but I can't reach the login window.
I placed the EFI folder in sz partition Monterey. The problem remains the same as with the EFI of the bootable usb key

Lime

AMD OS X Member
I managed to boot to Monterey. Everything worked but I have a problem with the login screen .It crashes everytime I turn on my PC and I can't login
Hello, I have the same problem as you, have you found a solution? My graphics card Radeon Rx 570 and you, witch do you have?
What version of Monterey do you have installed?
For my part Monterey 12.6.1
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Lime

AMD OS X Member

Hello, Radeon rx 570. Are you sure you EFI opencore 0.83 work with Monterey 12.6.1. I try to find the solution of the black screen just before the login window, I find nothing.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try adding the Boot Argument agdpmod=ignore and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.