Ryzen 7000 Testing

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Replacement motherboard and Flex power supply have been delivered. Will install tomorrow.

UPDATE:
  • Managed to install the new motherboard today, in conjunction with full-size EVGA SuperNova 850W PSU
  • Unfortunately, the same frustratingly bad outcome is observed:
    • After making any change to BIOS, system does not boot up properly
    • After CMOS Reset, system boots up
WHAT NEXT:
  • There aren't any other good B650 choices for this 8-bay NAS application
  • The remaining good choice is an Asus Z690-G mATX with 12th Gen i5-12600K
    • This combination is available from NewEgg for less than the MSI B650M with Ryzen 5 7600
    • And it has better specs (3 NVMe SSDs, PCIe 5.0, two USB-C ports on rear)
    • Link:

UPDATE 2:
  • Order for the Asus/Intel combo has been placed; delivery expected on Thursday
  • I have to send the AMD Ryzen system back -- I'm incredibly disappointed in the MSI B650M Mortar
  • The DDR5 memory is certified for use on MSI B650M Mortar, so even that is not the issue
Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 8.16.38 PM.png

Last edited:

Kubokun

AMD OS X Member
Replacement motherboard and Flex power supply have been delivered. Will install tomorrow.

UPDATE:
  • Managed to install the new motherboard today, in conjunction with full-size EVGA SuperNova 850W PSU
  • Unfortunately, the same frustratingly bad outcome is observed:
    • After making any change to BIOS, system does not boot up properly
    • After CMOS Reset, system boots up
WHAT NEXT:
  • There aren't any other good B650 choices for this 8-bay NAS application
  • The remaining good choice is an Asus Z690-G mATX with 12th Gen i5-12600K
    • This combination is available from NewEgg for less than the MSI B650M with Ryzen 5 7600
    • And it has better specs (3 NVMe SSDs, PCIe 5.0, two USB-C ports on rear)
    • Link:

UPDATE 2:
  • Order for the Asus/Intel combo has been placed; delivery expected on Thursday
  • I have to send the AMD Ryzen system back -- I'm incredibly disappointed in the MSI B650M Mortar
  • The DDR5 memory is certified for use on MSI B650M Mortar, so even that is not the issue
View attachment 10403
Check these stand-off , maybe a electric short between motherboard and case.

Kubokun

AMD OS X Member
I also changed the wifi card, it was not easy but I succeeded.
Ok thanks for the log.
In my opinion, the best am5 Itx motherboard until now is Gigabyte B650I Auros Ultra , expect tb4
3 m.2 slot , backplate of course, lol asus , you can use the backplate as an adaptive cooling for rear m.2 nvme

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
RAM requirements for ZFS are grossly overstated, ZFS just uses as much RAM as it can, but that does not mean it will run faster with more in a particular use case.
For a simple Backup NAS even 8GB works just fine since you have mostly a single client writing to it, no need for large ARC.

I have no issues saturating 10GBe on my main TrueNAS with 16GB of RAM. More RAM wouldn't make it faster in my case as it is mostly for media storage and the same file is rarely read twice.

@CaseySJ You could also consider some 2nd or 3rd gen Epyc. Those with lower core counts can be found for good prices on the second hand market, have plenty of PCIe lanes and SATA ports to expand and support ECC memory.

Lorys89

AMD OS X Member
In my opinion, the best am5 Itx motherboard until now is Gigabyte B650I Auros Ultra , expect tb4
3 m.2 slot , backplate of course, lol asus , you can use the backplate as an adaptive cooling for rear m.2 nvme
If I wanted more nvne slots I took matx or atx, asus has pcie slots 5 x16 and the gigabyte has pcie 4 x16..

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Check these stand-off , maybe a electric short between motherboard and case.
I removed motherboard from the chassis and placed it on an anti-static mat, powered it on, and alas got the same result: Changing any parameter in BIOS leads to a non-booting system (even with latest BIOS). But after CMOS Reset, the system functions. Here's an image of Ubuntu 22.10 running in "Try Mode" from a USB flash disk. Even the on-board WiFi/BT module is activated and Firefox is displaying MacRumors home page on a 4K monitor with iGPU:

IMG_8985.JPG

But make any change to BIOS (even disk boot order) and...bam...nothing works.

Maybe this board hasn't been tested with an actual Ryzen 5 7600.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
While waiting for new components to arrive, I replaced the 25mm Noctua fans with two 15mm slim Noctua fans. Also moved them to the inside of the case and attached fan guards. Whisper silent.

Much better now...

IMG_8986_resize.jpg

The 12” BOE touch screen is arriving today from Ali Express. Quite surprised how quickly these parts are shipped and delivered.

Last edited:

Kubokun

AMD OS X Member
If I wanted more nvne slots I took matx or atx, asus has pcie slots 5 x16 and the gigabyte has pcie 4 x16..
gigabyte b650I has pcie 5.0 x16.
i'm not joking , it's true
IMG-7981-2.jpg

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Someone posted this on TonyMac. A sign of things to come? :)

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Someone posted this on TonyMac. A sign of things to come? :)

Just saw Ventura 13.4 beta 2 was released today so I figured I'd do my rounds to see if there was any good news on that front, glad to see there's still a glimmer of hope, no matter how faint! Waiting just a bit longer before making my move back to mATX or full ATX to see where things end up on the gpu front.

p.s. sorry to hear about the continuing troubles with the MSI board- super frustrating.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
beta 2 works fine!
1681235038968.png

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Big Sur Beta had the Navi 21 driver months before the Radeon 6000 Pro cards were announced.
I don't think this changes the odds as Pro cards were inevitable whether Apple uses them or not.

• Sad
Reactions: tcb

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I use to check some system log and to mount my EFI
Although I have an account on the Italian Hackintosh site, I’m not allowed to download this HackCheck app…

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Although I have an account on the Italian Hackintosh site, I’m not allowed to download this HackCheck app…
Code:
11) Per scaricare da Download è richiesto un minimo di post quindi magari iniziate presentandovi alla comunità, successivamente quando i contenuti saranno validati, la sezione download verrà sbloccata in automatico.

Code:
11) Minimum posts are required to download from Download so maybe start by introducing yourself to the community, later when content is validated, the download section will be unlocked automatically.

it is in rules page the reason new users can't download fro download section

however the app was very interesting but from long time the developers didn't update it
I use because I trust it and I like it

etorix

AMD OS X Member
  • This is a secondary NAS
  • Primary NAS is QNAP, that will rsync or otherwise backup to this system
If this a for pure storage, go for TrueNAS CORE rather than SCALE. The memory allocator in Linux cannot allocate more than half the RAM to ARC; FreeBSD (Core) has no such limitation. The memory discussion above was for Core; due to this issue, the numbers may double for SCALE.
rsync is heavy in metadata; a large ARC will definitively help. Alternatively, if the primary NAS may run QuHero it may be possible to use ZFS replication, which is much more efficient than rsync.

• Primary NAS contains a lot of Hackintosh full-system backups; there are many duplicated data blocks, which is why I'm interested in de-duplication
  • There are new discussions arguing that de-duplication does not necessarily require as much RAM as we fear it does; there's no better way to know than to actually try it
When setting up my own systems I made the beginner mistake of beeing too geeky and enabling deduplication on two datasets, one for TimeMachine and one for dumping all the (likely duplicated) archives I has accumulated on external drives. The two deduped datasets (capped by quotas) currently hold about 12 TB. At some point, I ran a scrub on the backup NAS when it had "only" 64 GB RAM instead of the regular 128 GB (RDIMM is cheap): It was catastrophically slow and took more than a day to complete rather than a few hours. Dedup IS a memory hog, and the 5 GB/TB rule of thumb is NOT off the mark in my experience: A mere 12 TB of deduped data does require more than 64 GB RAM not to slow to a crawl.
The upstream NAS with the "original" deduped datasets has only 64 GB RAM, but an Optane drive as (persistent, metadata only) L2ARC to hold the DDT.

Dedup is really best avoided. Using default zstd compression, the TimeMachine dataset already has a nice 1.25 compression ratio—all for free, while being greedy with further space savings from dedup comes with significant resource costs.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.