Ryzen 7000 Testing

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@Galve2000 EF I have posted with latest config is Opencore Debug version...
if you use it you could find your opencoredebug txt in your EFI partition
From there we could check if MMIO area are well done for your installed hardware and your bios settings
(MMIO used are from ROG Hero)

Cheesetoast

AMD OS X Member
MMIO WhiteList is going to be the death of me.

I did get a little further with the SetVirtualMap quirk change but not very far at all.

View attachment 9457

I will one of these days sit down and learn how to do the MMIO whitelist myself.. but I even have trouble with Debug... which BTW i'm using a release version of OC so I do not get a log file on my EFI folder.

anyway, the saga continues.
You're getting farther than me now. Looks like it's hanging up on NVME exceptions. Check your Kext order, make sure Lilu is first, do you have NVMeFix.kext, if so, try disabling it instead?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
You're getting farther than me now. Looks like it's hanging up on NVME exceptions. Check your Kext order, make sure Lilu is first, do you have NVMeFix.kext, if so, try disabling it instead?
Are you using actual MMIO white list addresses taken from an OpenCore debug log file generated on your motherboard?

Cheesetoast

AMD OS X Member
Yes

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am running Asus HERO BIOS 0805 .

have heard some people on this forum regressing to 0705 for better stability. I could not even install Windows 11 with BIOS version 0705 so 0805 it is for me.

do the MMIO whitelist values change each time someone updates the BIOS firmware?

I too note that NVME is where things are hanging in the installer. even using other versions of OC built for the GENE and Creator. when I can get to the installer, it seams like I am unable to write to the NVME drive, although in some instances I am able to Format it successfully. unfortunately, I can never install anything on it and generally have to reset CMOS to get Windows 11 to boot afterwards.,

I will run the install again but I do not see any debug outputs in the EFI folder after running the installer and I have run it 3 times as of this writing. I therefore assumed I was running a release version.

FYG I am trying to install Monterey. Ventura has given me a bad taste in my mouth. does this matter?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
do the MMIO whitelist values change each time someone updates the BIOS firmware?
Not guaranteed, but really common, even when changing some BIOS settings.

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@Galve2000 i have tested efi posted to you and it produces an opencore debug
If you use also the second config I have posted it could go further
Mmio could change if you use csm or uefi on/off
Resizebar or 4g and also filling nvme or pcie slot

Last edited:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Galve2000 i have tested efi posted to you and it produces an opencore debug
If you use also the second config I have posted it could go further
Mmio could change if you use csm or uefi on/off
Resizebar or 4g and also filling nvme or pcie slot

I have not touched csm, resizeable bar, or above 4G decoding, all these are in their default settings. Also, the components of my build are the same since day one.

I am not using the top most NVME slot however and I wonder if this is why I am getting an error.

when I built this machine I thought the heat spreader on the top most NVME slot was a chipset heatspreader (the thing is massive!!) so I put the 2 NVME drives in the slots below that looked like proper NVME slots.

the top NVME slot is covered by my Noctua NHD-15 and I haven't felt the need to remove it to access the top NVME slot.

Meantime, Here are 2 tries that produced a debug output file. unfortunately, here is not much there.

@mariettosun: I note that WEG is not enabled in your latest config.plist. unfortunately enabling it does very little to change the boot process or the output.

I anxiously await the arrival of your parts so we can troubleshoot this with a real mobo in hand.

Attachments

• opencore-2023-01-17-095813.txt
    256 KB · Views: 2
  • opencore-2023-01-17-103721.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
New Macs are out:
  • MacBook Pro 14 and 16
  • M2 Pro and M2 Max
  • WiFi 6E
  • Up to 96GB memory
  • HDMI 8K up to 60Hz
  • HDMI 4K up to 240Hz
New Mac mini:
  • M2 and M2 Pro
  • M2 Pro model has 4 Thunderbolt 4 ports
  • M2 has 2 Thunderbolt ports
  • M2 Pro supports 8K
  • WiFi 6E
  • 10GbE as an option

The Big Question:
  • Did Apple implement WiFi 6E on ARM only or as a universal binary?
  • Will it support Broadcom device ID 0x9d44?

Last edited:

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
I have not touched csm, resizeable bar, or above 4G decoding, all these are in their default settings. Also, the components of my build are the same since day one.

I am not using the top most NVME slot however and I wonder if this is why I am getting an error.

when I built this machine I thought the heat spreader on the top most NVME slot was a chipset heatspreader (the thing is massive!!) so I put the 2 NVME drives in the slots below that looked like proper NVME slots.

the top NVME slot is covered by my Noctua NHD-15 and I haven't felt the need to remove it to access the top NVME slot.

Meantime, Here are 2 tries that produced a debug output file. unfortunately, here is not much there.

@mariettosun: I note that WEG is not enabled in your latest config.plist. unfortunately enabling it does very little to change the boot process or the output.

I anxiously await the arrival of your parts so we can troubleshoot this with a real mobo in hand.
if you see your log are empty
use this EFi:
link
and this config please
config

today I have received all and the motherboard is very beautiful :)
1673974945252.png

tomorrow I will unmount my threadripper 3970x, and I think in the evening I will be in trouble as you now :) :) :)

Edit
I would also try to use SSDT-EC used in @PoMpIs EFI

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

today I have received all and the motherboard is very beautiful :)
Awesome — looking forward to your experience. I hope you’ll take some pictures of the build process.

tomorrow I will unmount my threadripper 3970x, and I think in the evening I will be in trouble as you now :) :) :)
Or you can ace this test!!

Edit
I would also try to use SSDT-EC used in @PoMpIs EFI
The version we have in the overview post works well.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
6900xt (from my "old" rig)
Which manufacturer did you go with?

what is going to happen to your old rig?

i'm losing confidence that the 7900XTX will be supported by MacOS so I may splurge on a PowerColor 6750XT as the prices for those have come down and just call it a day.

I can't stand to spend another $1000 on a last gen GPU, but I might just bite the bullet and spend ~$440 -- I got a great deal on the 6650XT but it won't play nice with any X670E motherboard I have tried, so I am losing patience with it.

the 6650 was intended as a hold over until I could get my hands on a 7900XTX but that sounds like it's going to happen "never" so I am recalibrating my next steps.

I can't wait to see how your Hero build goes. my X670E Creator RMA arrives tomorrow but I am not going to start tinkering with it until next weekend.

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
For now for me no good news with this rig
System does not boot
I have a qled code like C5 and system stay there
First code is 15 then it hangs on c5 code
Only one dimm inserted
If I add more it stays more second on 15 qled code then it goes to C5 and stay there

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
For now for me no good news with this rig
System does not boot
I have a qled code like C5 and system stay there
First code is 15 then it hangs on c5 code
Only one dimm inserted
If I add more it stays more second on 15 qled code then it goes to C5 and stay there
Does this mean system does not even enter BIOS? POST failure? (Power-On Self Test)
  • Are all power cables securely connected?
  • CPU 8-pin power cables also connected (top left of board)?
  • All PCIe cards fully inserted?
  • CPU properly seated?
  • Any visible damage to CPU socket or CPU itself?
If it does enter BIOS, I would recommend turning off as many devices in BIOS as possible. For example:
  • Thunderbolt
  • Intel Wi-Fi
  • Intel Bluetooth
  • On-board LAN
But keep these enabled:
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Resizable BAR

Last edited:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
RX 6700/6750 are NOT supported and will certainly never be, so this is an even worse choice than RX 7900.
I'm sure I can spoof it into working just fine. my 6900XTX works like a charm on my old 5950X/X570 even tho that is not supported.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I'm sure I can spoof it into working just fine. my 6900XTX works like a charm on my old 5950X/X570 even tho that is not supported.
I wish I could offer better news, but people have tried to spoof the 6700/6750 and it does not work. We can spoof one version of 6900 into another version of the same 6900, but we cannot spoof a 67XX into something else.

Last edited:

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ it doesn’t enter in bios
Always a orange led and a code C5 not documented on hero manual
On Reddit some people say to push better dimm in the socket.. it is not my case

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ it doesn’t enter in bios
Always a orange led and a code C5 not documented on hero manual
On Reddit some people say to push better dimm in the socket.. it is not my case
You're right that C5 is not documented. However, code 15 is Pre-memory System Agent initialization.

Couple things that come to mind:
  • Try downloading latest BIOS from Asus website, copy it to USB flash disk, and use BIOS Flashback to install it
  • Try installing a different DIMM -- in A2 slot

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.