Ryzen 7000 Testing

camonz

AMD OS X Member
I am kind of the same way.. at least with my X570/5950X iMacPro build. said system can wake from sleep after being asleep for 40 minutes and annoyingly also wakes itself up when my iPhone rings (it's a beloved feature of MacOS, I know) but when I would have it sleeping for several hours, or overnight, it would refuse to wake in the morning.

so I disabled sleep.

unfortunately the sleep settings seem to have changed recently. I remember distinctly there was a slider for sleep that you could slide all the way to "never" and sleep would be totally avoided.

I don't know if Ventura did away with it completely, but on my newer X670E / 7950X build that is running Monterey 12.4, the sider is no longer there. so I have to hopeit never sleeps.

Meantime @camonz ,

you say you never map any of these systems but your config.plist contains references to both USBToolBox.kext and UTBMap.kext so your build sounds pretty well mapped to me.

I may borrow these kexts form your build :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

also in the next few weeks I am going to have another crack at building the X670E Creator. hopefully the Debug will spit out some useful information for the whitelist this time around.
I mapped the USB ports, sleep still doesn't work for me.

Might be because of the 7900XT I have plugged in but haven't disabled, who knows.

TBH USBMapping was the easiest part of the entire process; just pop into windows, run the script and plug a usb 2 & usb 3 device on all ports plus a usb c on those ports. I generated the kext and added it to the config.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I mapped the USB ports, sleep still doesn't work for me.

Might be because of the 7900XT I have plugged in but haven't disabled, who knows.

TBH USBMapping was the easiest part of the entire process; just pop into windows, run the script and plug a usb 2 & usb 3 device on all ports plus a usb c on those ports. I generated the kext and added it to the config.
USBToolBox suffers from poor documentation. It's a valuable application, but I wish they explained more clearly how to configure the ports. Here are some things to check:
  • External USB ports
    • For black ports, Type should be 0 for USB 2.0
    • For blue, red and yellow ports, Type should be 3 for both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 protocols
      • Example:
        • If HS01 is a blue, red or yellow external port, set it to Type 3 even though HS01 is USB 2.0
        • Similarly, if SS01 is the USB 3 protocol on the same physical port, also set it to Type 3
    • For USB Type C ports:
      • Type will always be either 9 or 10
        • Use Type 9 if you can connect a USB device in either orientation and it appears on the same SSxx port
        • Use Type 10 if the USB device appears on two different SSxx ports depending on which way the plug is inserted into the connector
      • For both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices the Type will be either 9 or 10
  • Internal USB ports
    • For internal USB headers set Type to 255
    • For internal Bluetooth set Type to 255
    • For internal RGB controller set Type to 255

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
It's a very busy week at the office so I may need to wait until weekend for more thorough investigation. My first task will be to obtain PCI debug logs from Ventura. This should be possible perhaps by removing io=0xff from boot arguments. I'll also examine standard Ventura boot log to see if there are any AppleACPIPlatform log messages that provide a clue. Standard boot log is obtained simply as follows:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
But comparing PCI debug logs between Monterey and Ventura may be more effective than any other option at this time. So it's imperative that we generate PCI debug log from Ventura.
with all enabled in bios and without io=0xff Ventura boots
Attached all requested files (obviously no Wi-Fi, no TB, no i225 and other stuff)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
with all enabled in bios and without io=0xff Ventura boots
Attached all requested files (obviously no Wi-Fi, no TB, no i225 and other stuff)
If you are still running Ventura and have not rebooted since posting these files, please post the following more extended log:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -30000 > ~/Documents/bootlog2.txt

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
If you are still running Ventura and have not rebooted since posting these files, please post the following more extended log:
I have done other tests and I have rebooted ten times :)
Redoing it could help?

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ done all set of logs
I can't send file from Ventura in this condition so I have always to reboot in Monterey or in Big Sur (which are lovely working :) :)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Some initial observations:

Thunderbolt exists on both Bus 14 and 15 so that's not a problem. But here we see Bus 13 assigned to an AMD bridge or other device (Ventura) and Bus 13 assigned to ASMedia SATA Controller (Monterey). Already something is wrong.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.11.35 AM.png

On the left (Monterey) we see WIFI on Bus 10 and I225 on Bus 11. This is correct.
On the right (Ventura) we see WIFI on Bus 15 (which is Thunderbolt). This is wrong. And there's no I225 device.
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.25.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.27.16 AM.png

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I did some Thunderbolt testing today on my X670E Hero.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 12.12.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-31 at 12.16.33 PM.png

RTK5 is the Time Machine backup of my X570/5950X machine. these are screen shots of it plugged into one of the the Thunderbolt ports of my X670E Hero build.

you will note the Protocol / Connection is listed as PCI-Express in each screen shot, which differs from other peripherals connected via USB.

I also learned that rebooting the system is also a type of cold booting. I always assumed cold booting meant booting from a completely powered down system.

unfortunately Time Machine archives are done in Case Sensitive file system so you can not speed test them. I am trying to decide if I should cannibalize the RTKS drive to do some speed testing on it or simply replace the TB enclosure with a new Seagate FireCuda 530 that I have lying around.

What do you guys think?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Next step:
  • We can download source code for IOPCIFamily from both Monterey and Ventura and study the differences
  • If there are no relevant differences then the problem is most likely in AppleACPIPlatform
  • The GitHub commit is not as helpful to me as the full source code, but it can also be studied
  • If the problem happens to be in IOPCIFamily, we have a good chance of creating a patch
It’s a busy week so further updates may come in a couple of days.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I can't send file from Ventura in this condition so I have always to reboot in Monterey or in Big Sur (which are lovely working :) :)

So you are saying I shouldn't update to Ventura using your EFI? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I wasn't planning on doing so at least until @CaseySJ or @ExtremeXT or @Shaneee figure out how to get Continuity Camera on AMD, but the red Software Update dot on my X670E build running Monterey is calling me..

When you power up from a powered off system, does it occasionally take 3 reboots to the log in screen?

For some reason the presence of an OC EFI on a USB stick will force OC to do some sort of weird reset, even if the USB stick is not selected as the boot drive in BIOS.

i'm still trying to troubleshoot why this is happening. I recently figured that I do not need the USB stick, but without it takes 3 reboots to get to the log in screen..

SO ANNOYING.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** MacOS Ventura Patch for Internal Thunderbolt and Internal WiFi **

Problem:
  • On AMD AM5 motherboards from Asus (and possibly other vendors) that contain built-in Thunderbolt, we cannot enable both Thunderbolt and internal WiFi at the same time
  • This happens in macOS Ventura only (not in Monterey and Big Sur)
  • If internal Thunderbolt and internal WiFi are both enabled in BIOS, then:
    • I225-V Ethernet port vanishes
    • Internal WiFi vanishes
    • Any PCIe add-in-card in second slot (PCX1) vanishes, including my Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT
Solution: Apply this patch:
  • ARCH: x86_64
  • Identifier: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
  • Base: __ZN17IOPCIConfigurator18IOPCIIsHotplugPortEP16IOPCIConfigEntry
  • Comment: CaseySJ - Fix IOPCIIsHotplugPort
  • Find: 84DB754B 418B5738
  • Replace: 84DBEB4B 418B5738
  • MinKernel: 22.0.0
  • MaxKernel: 22.99.99
  • Count: 1
  • Enabled: True
XML:
            <dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>x86_64</string>
                <key>Base</key>
                <string>__ZN17IOPCIConfigurator18IOPCIIsHotplugPortEP16IOPCIConfigEntry</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>CaseySJ - Fix IOPCIIsHotplugPort</string>
                <key>Count</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>hNt1S0GLVzg=</data>
                <key>Identifier</key>
                <string>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</string>
                <key>Limit</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
                <key>Mask</key>
                <data></data>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string>22.99.99</string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string>22.0.0</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>hNvrS0GLVzg=</data>
                <key>ReplaceMask</key>
                <data></data>
                <key>Skip</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
            </dict>

Result:
  • With patch applied to Ventura
  • BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Enabled
  • BIOS -> WiFi -> Enabled
  • BIOS -> Bluetooth -> Enabled
All devices working:

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 4.51.55 PM.png

And internal SATA drives appear correctly as internal drives (not orange icons). We still need to add Device Property built-in to each NVMe and SATA controller or enable ExternalDiskIcons kernel quirk. Note that OpenCore manual on page 35 warns against using the kernel quirk.

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 6.02.03 PM.png

Here we see a Thunderbolt 3 dock attached and working when connected before boot:

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 6.09.04 PM.png

Last edited:

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
So you are saying I shouldn't update to Ventura using your EFI?
No :p
When you power up from a powered off system, does it occasionally take 3 reboots to the log in screen?
No :p
your EFI?
Are you using first my EFI?
Have you followed the advices given (about a short kext list and also about MMIO whitelist?)
I would try to enable only the second MMIO area
I will update soon my "Hero" perfect EFI
Thank you @CaseySJ
It works!

1675308442280.png

WiFi. i225 and thunderbolt in macOS Ventura 13.2

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
should I enable a different MMIO?
Have you checked in your debug log if it is fine?
try to disable not mandatory kext to boot and check the original post for my updated EFI
Also check your USB port mapping
with latest patch discovered by Casey all OS works perfectly and rock solid

if you have problems it could be also related to DDR5 and I would suggest to use AMD specific for them

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I finally closed up my X670E Hero / 7950X build and moved it from my Test Bench to it's semi permanent home connected to my LG OLED.

Not only is 120 Hz HDR working like a charm on this system, the color profile actually looks natural. I can watch YouTube videos and my colors and skin tones look natural.

this was not the case with my X570 Creator build using a PowerColor Red Devil 6900XTX, I had to switch HDR off to get the colors to look right unless I was watching native HDR content, which is practically nonexistent in YouTube.

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 11.35.09 PM.png

Even HDMI audio worked out of the box:

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 11.36.35 PM.png

Strangely, when I was getting audio using a regular stereo speaker plugged into the rear "lime green" audio port of the Hero the above Sound settings had 2 USB2.0 Realtek Audio outputs. I assume the second one is for the Front IO, which I never bothered to test. honestly I barely remember plugging in the front IO headers of this build. I built it so long ago!

I'm happy to report that the i225V is working like a charm:

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 12.00.54 AM.png

the last steps I had to do were:

1. connect Fenvi BT to one of the internal USB headers:

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 11.35.50 PM.png

It did take a while for the Mighty Mouse to connect to the Fenvi BT (it kept rejecting the connection, but after a bunch of Trial and Error, I got it working.)

The Magic Keyboard, LG webOS OLED, and Lenovo TrackPoint II connected immediately. I use the Lenovo with an RF dongle in Windows mostly so that I don't have to keep pairing my Magic Keyboard every time I switch OSes. Still it was nice to test if random BT devices would pair successfully.

other things I had to do prior to closing up this system and moving it from my test bench are:

2. Install an exhaust fan in the rear of my Fractal Torrent (non-RGB which it turns out is boring)
3. Connect the front I/O -- until now I was only using the X670 Hero onboard power and reset buttons

now for the sad part:

so far, the only app that I cannot get working is GFX Bench Metal:

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 11.36.57 PM.png

what do you mean API not supported?

I swear it was working just fine on my X570 Creator / 6900XTX build. GeekBench Compute (Metal) and Heaven Benchmarks both work fine on this X670E Hero build. I posted my results above in an earlier post to this thread!

the only thing I can think of is that b/c I didn't create an SSDT for the 6650XT that I am using, that GFXBench Metal is refusing to work. but everything else works perfectly!!

even Thunderbolt is working!

is there a TimeSpy benchmark for MacOS that works with x86_64 or is it ARM only?

guys I am UBER pleased!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Last edited:

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
now for the sad part:

so far, the only app that I cannot get working is GFX Bench Metal:

View attachment 9660

what do you mean API not supported?

I swear it was working just fine on my X570 Creator / 6900XTX build. GeekBench Compute (Metal) and Heaven Benchmarks both work fine on this X670E Hero build. I posted my results above in an earlier post to this thread!

the only thing I can think of is that b/c I didn't create an SSDT for the 6650XT that I am using, that GFXBench Metal is refusing to work. but everything else works perfectly!!

even Thunderbolt is working!

is there a TimeSpy benchmark for MacOS that works with x86_64 or is it ARM only?

guys I am UBER pleased!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Do you have -radcodec boot arg? You need it to get hardware decoding/
encoding on spoofed GPUs.

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 8.59.24 AM.png@Galve2000 this with a reference 6900xt

agent2

Donator
Donator

Problem:
  • On AMD AM5 motherboards from Asus (and possibly other vendors) that contain built-in Thunderbolt, we cannot enable both Thunderbolt and internal WiFi at the same time
  • This happens in macOS Ventura only (not in Monterey and Big Sur)
  • If internal Thunderbolt and internal WiFi are both enabled in BIOS, then:
    • I225-V Ethernet port vanishes
    • Internal WiFi vanishes
    • Any PCIe add-in-card in second slot (PCX1) vanishes, including my Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT
Solution:
  • Apply the patch shown below to fix the problem:
    • ARCH: x86_64
    • Identifier: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily
    • Base: __ZN17IOPCIConfigurator18IOPCIIsHotplugPortEP16IOPCIConfigEntry
    • Comment: CaseySJ - Fix IOPCIIsHotplugPort
    • Find: 84DB754B 418B5738
    • Replace: 84DBEB4B 418B5738
    • MinKernel: 22.0.0
    • MaxKernel: 22.99.99
    • Count: 1
    • Enabled: True
XML:
            <dict>
                <key>Arch</key>
                <string>x86_64</string>
                <key>Base</key>
                <string>__ZN17IOPCIConfigurator18IOPCIIsHotplugPortEP16IOPCIConfigEntry</string>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>CaseySJ - Fix IOPCIIsHotplugPort</string>
                <key>Count</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>hNt1S0GLVzg=</data>
                <key>Identifier</key>
                <string>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</string>
                <key>Limit</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
                <key>Mask</key>
                <data></data>
                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                <string>22.99.99</string>
                <key>MinKernel</key>
                <string>22.0.0</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>hNvrS0GLVzg=</data>
                <key>ReplaceMask</key>
                <data></data>
                <key>Skip</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
            </dict>

Result:
  • With patch applied to Ventura
  • BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Enabled
  • BIOS -> WiFi -> Enabled
  • BIOS -> Bluetooth -> Enabled
All devices working:

View attachment 9648

And internal SATA drives appear correctly as internal drives (not orange icons):

View attachment 9650

Here we see a Thunderbolt 3 dock attached and working when connected before boot:

View attachment 9651
OMG this is madness! You legend! I will try this with my Gene when I get the chance. You guys are working some magic here.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
It works!
WiFi. i225 and thunderbolt in macOS Ventura 13.2
I’ll submit a pull request to AMD-OSX GitHub soon.

Feel free to submit this to OCAT.

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
hi @CaseySJ can you explain more deeper how do you find this patch and useful step you did for this new finding (obviously I know you evaluated debug posted but I am interested in find/replace values (how to) and also base nomenclature)
thank you

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.