Ryzen 7 4700G — Ventura 13.5 & Sonoma Public Beta — Radeon Graphics 16 GB [Renoir] — NRed

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
@craighazan

Impressive stuff! Looks like the 4700G is a great processor!

Did you tested HDMI branch Nred? So far, it does not work for me yet. Recently I use VoodooHDA 3.0.2 for APU HDMI, it work fine but need installed into /L/E.

View attachment 11438

I haven't been able to test it yet with the new HDMI version of Need, but I can tell you one thing - it hasn't been easy to get the audio going on this VCS.
I've tried to add in the values to the VoodooHDA as you mentioned, but nothing came up. One thing I've found is that despite being the same device value as yours, it is in no way an ALC897. Rather it is AMD's own design audio processor (D001).

However I have had a look at the PCI list and IOReg and this is what I've found so far:

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 8.04.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 8.07.56 AM.png

It turns out that the main AMD IGPU has an 'audio-codec-info' value of 00010300. I'm guessing that that could be the answer for the HDMI audio settings.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
@craighazan

Impressive stuff! Looks like the 4700G is a great processor!.
I agree, The finder and desktop look really sweet and the animations look smooth through transitions. Could it be that the older games struggle because they haven’t been translated through Apples game translator. No Man’s Sky performs really well on a APU, but older games Dirt 4, Dirt Rally for example either won’t boot or perform badly!.

@shuhung for me setting 21 enable and 20 disable, performance over stability keeps giving me a black screen.

@Shaneee I noticed on the AMD Vanilla Patch Repo that ChefKissinc, from NRed has been involved with the patches. How have the team at NRed contributed and will we see support for more APUs within the patch?.

Steve901

AMD OS X Member
craighazan's APU build — Picasso [NAKED]
ASUS Prime A320I-K — Ryzen 5 4600G — Radeon Graphics [Renoir]

View attachment 11332View attachment 11323

Components New

Ryzen 5 4600G AMD Radeon Graphics [Renoir] APU — AmazonNeweggMicro Center

Components Salvaged from the Hackintosh Recycling Bin
ASUS Prime 320I-K — Good board if you can find it cheap, its small, has DP & HDMI, M.2 slot, X 16 Slot, 4 SATA and supports Ryzen 5000 series processors and doesn't seem as limited as B450 or A520 boards, that I have owned.
KingSpec NE-128 — This star of an NVMe drive, this has been in every build I've done and it still performs.
8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX — 'Borrowed' from my other Ryzen build, the Naked G5!.
DELL 7010 PSU — What can I say, if this was any other build you'd be the star of the show, don't give up I believe in you.

Comments
... Craig you've forgotten something... Huh?... Graphics!. No I haven't because this build is all about Radeon!. It hasn't been fully tested, there are still things I want to find out. And being we've spent a bit of time together now, I feel confident enough to write up a user build. Sure she looks like one of her namesakes cubist paintings but don't let that distract you from, in what is my early opinion, Ventura looking better in Radeon, than UHD 630.
NootedRed.kext, formally WhateverRed, appeared roughly a year ago, whispers and hear say of successful APU's without much followup brewed until May 2023, when things really started happening. For what seemed like an eternity Big Sur was the only OS the kext supported, success had mainly been reported with AMD Laptops, hp was a popular one. But there wasn't much word about AMD Desktops only a 3000G series success story. Then all of a sudden it was 3000 and 4000 series APU's, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma were working, so of course I went and picked up a Ryzen 4600G, why wouldn't I?!.

Why the Ryzen 4600G?
It's cheap!, compare the price I paid at Micro Center, $92 btw, to say 3000 G series or even 2000 G series. $28 cheaper than 5600G at Micro Center, and there's a lot in the box, see my other thread below, I got a Ryzen 5 4600G. I've always been a fan of this APU, Wasn't it originally a Laptop APU and they had some left over?, I'll have to look that up. At the time of its release 3 years ago I thought it would make a great budget Ryzen gaming build, even if you couldn't Hackintosh it. 6 cores, 12 threads, low profile cpu fan and a gorgeous sticker, on the G side you have 7 Radeon Graphic Cores beating @ 1900MHz, that's better than UHD 630 1500MHz. And if the speed of verbose is any measure of performance, then it boots quicker than the 5700X in the G5!.

Installation
At the moment it's not advisable to to clean install using NootedRed.kext, if you're lucky enough to have another Hackintosh lying around maybe borrow the storage drive for a bit, or clean install using another computer. I have Ventura but you could install either Big Sur, Monterey or Sonoma, they have been confirmed as working so far.

BIOS
Here is probably the best source for this part, OpenCores Ryzen and Threadripper (17h and 19H) page!. We're also going to set maximum memory for the VRAM, the NootedRed.kext needs a minimum of 512 MB, 1 GB is preferred and more if you have it.

EFI
I spent some time preparing my EFI before I got the APU, I'm using the same one I have in HackinDROM. I chose iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS other platform info you can use are MacBookPro16,3, iMac20,1 or iMacPro1,1 don't use MacPro7,1 you'll be staring at a black screen otherwise. If you're using RestrictEvents.kext add 'revblock=media' to your Boot Arguments. After HackinDROM finished installing, I removed WhateverGreen.kext and replaced it with NootedRed.kext, then updated my AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla patches, plist and OpenCore.

View attachment 11324
View attachment 11325

Does It Work?
Well yes it does!, the frame buffer loads, the dock resembles frosted glass, not bad for something that shouldn't work!. Can it play Minecraft better than UHD 630?. No, though it's not far off, take down that draw distance and we should be good, but it's much better than a 5700X and RX 580!. How does it look?. I might not be popular for saying this, but it does just look so much more vibrant and sharp, the colors blend smoothly and there is much less banding. Text is much crispier, counters are more defined and its easier to read than UHD 630.

View attachment 11328
View attachment 11331

Benchmarks
I posted my first GB6 benches in my Ventura guide, linked below. The multicore score surprised me, I thought it would be a bit higher than 4900, but the single core score cheered me up again coming in at around 1500. But it's the Metal score we're all interested in, I have Metal 3 support!, but there is a wild disparity in the 2 benches I have recorded so far. Around 12500 for the first bench but today it's 5000, huh. I did remove the boot arg ncpi=0x3000 and enabled Above 4G Encoding BIOS between the benches, related?.

I got a Ryzen 5 4600G !

Ryzen 5 4600G — Radeon Graphics [Renoir] — Ventura 13.4.1

Getting started — Welcome to the Noot Hackintosh Guide.

Last edited: 55 minutes ago

Thank you for yor share Craig, I have the similar hardware: MSI B450M A pro MAX + R5 5600G; I use your EFI file, injected new modle with iMacpro1,1. & set nootedred as deactived for installation. Installation was no issue as expected, but after active nootedred, lead to a circle of restart. have your experienced this?

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Thank you for yor share Craig, I have the similar hardware: MSI B450M A pro MAX + R5 5600G; I use your EFI file, injected new modle with iMacpro1,1. & set nootedred as deactived for installation. Installation was no issue as expected, but after active nootedred, lead to a circle of restart. have your experienced this?
You’re very welcome Steve, glad you got it working. I have experienced the boot loops before yes, interesting that you say disable NRed to install. I clean installed Ventura with NRed enabled but didn’t experience any issues, did it first time. Steve attach your EFI so we can look at it.
Did you vote?,

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
@Shaneee I noticed on the AMD Vanilla Patch Repo that ChefKissinc, from NRed has been involved with the patches. How have the team at NRed contributed and will we see support for more APUs within the patch?.

You'd need to as the NRed team about adding support for more APUs. From the CPU side they are supported with our patches. I'm not involved in NRed development.

Steve901

AMD OS X Member
You’re very welcome Steve, glad you got it working. I have experienced the boot loops before yes, interesting that you say disable NRed to install. I clean installed Ventura with NRed enabled but didn’t experience any issues, did it first time. Steve attach your EFI so we can look at it.
Did you vote?,
Just Voted,thank you for your reminder.
Just come back from the walk after dinner. Your suggestion is awesome. I’m trying in this way. Let’s see the result later.
The EFI have exactly the same as you.

Deactivating the nootedred was the recommendation from the other guidelines I had seen before. But I never try to install the system with it.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Just Voted,thank you for your reminder.
Just come back from the walk after dinner. Your suggestion is awesome. I’m trying in this way. Let’s see the result later.
The EFI have exactly the same as you.

Deactivating the nootedred was the recommendation from the other guidelines I had seen before. But I never try to install the system with it.
Don't forget to add the SSDT-CPUR, it's not in my EFI you'll need it for the 450 but not the 320.

Steve901

AMD OS X Member
Don't forget to add the SSDT-CPUR, it's not in my EFI you'll need it for the 450 but not the 320.

Yes, with SSDT-CPUR.aml in ACPI. I forgot this change.
Unfortunately, although the installation was successful, it jammed the first time enter into the system.
EFI shared, Pls kindly have a look when you are available.
Thank you!

Attachments

• EFI.7z
    8 MB · Views: 9

Steve901

AMD OS X Member
Unfortunately, although the installation was successful, it jammed the first time enter into the system.
Thank you!
Block here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 10

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Thank you!
ProcessorType was zero, I changed it to 1537 for a APU that has 6 cores or less, it's 3841 for 8 cores or more. I also updated the patches which were out of date. Might want to change your SMBIOS info.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 12.36.08 PM.png

Attachments

• EFIsteve901.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

craighazan

Donator
Donator
@Steve901 the EFI I attached in the last post is giving me a black screen after verbose. I switched the 4700G to a Gigabyte B450M DS3H WI-FI to test.

Steve901

AMD OS X Member
Same result as mine, a black screen at the end.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi Steve,

So I've had a quick look at your EFI. As I also have an AMD Ryzen APU setup, I do think I know what the problem is (as to why it's not booting up properly).

In your ACPI I see you only have SSDT-EC-USBX & SSDT-CPUR enabled. However I noticed some systems like mine (VCS) also need the following before they can boot:

SSDT-HPET.aml
SSDT-PMC.aml
SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml
Extra patches under ACPI > Patch from OC

Settings disabled in BIOS:
SVM
TPM Trusted Platform Module / SecureBoot

boot-args
npci=0x3000

So what you need to do is run SSDTTime from Windows, extract your DSDT (for the SSDT creation process) and add the SSDTs it recommends (which includes the above)
as well as the mentioned settings.

Steve901

AMD OS X Member
I will try with DDSTtime later. I just get the driver installed for the iGPU. But the screen display is wrong.

Steve901

AMD OS X Member
截屏20230731120155.jpg
As I mentioned in previous message, the screen display is wrong, see the photo I took via phone, but when I take the screenshot inside the system, everything seems good.
I assume this may be a problem with the type of graphics card interface. Any idea would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 截屏20230731120314.jpg
    截屏20230731120314.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 截屏20230731120155.jpg
    截屏20230731120155.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 截屏20230731120314.jpg
    截屏20230731120314.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 截屏20230731120541.jpg
    截屏20230731120541.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 截屏20230731120556.jpg
    截屏20230731120556.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 截屏20230731120637.jpg
    截屏20230731120637.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

craighazan

Donator
Donator
@Steve901 good job, what did you do to get it to boot?. Interesting that in Big Sur System Information, Graphics and Displays says your 4600G is Cezanne.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.