GPU Performance Issue, (Somewhat better after sleep)

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
I'm extremely frustrated with my GPU performance.

I've been working on a project on Premiere Pro 2023( latest version), and it's a struggle to play 1080p footage smoothly. let alone effects, color grade applied footage. So I tried to benchmark my Hackintosh, and the GPU perform very poorly. in Mojave, Catalina I used RadeonBoost.kext which help to perform better since I switch to Monterey, especially in Ventura I noticed a major performance drop (I didn't run the GPU benchmark in Monterey). I can't play a 4k video on youtube smoothly, it's making the whole mac laggy.

Here are Geekbench [Version 5.4.5 (503938)] results:

System Spec:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 3700x
MOBO: MSI b450m Mortar max
GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8GB
Ram: Corsair 8+8+16 /3200
PSU: Corsair 550/650watt (I forget the actual rating)

SMBios: MacPro7,1

EDIT: Bluetooth need to be turned off and on after sleep, otherwise won't work.

Attachments

• EFI (without resources folder).zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Hackintool [pcidevices].plist
    11.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Hackintool GFX0.png
    Hackintool GFX0.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Is that due to a Bios setting? As that is not normal for a HP Windows laptop.

I was looking around at the specs for your HP and I can't find any information regarding the graphics being Hybrid/switchable etc., other than it contains a discrete RX580 8GB.

The Kaby Lake CPU definitely contains a HD630 IGPU, as it isn't an 'F' series processor.
No clue, but seems to be the same as what Acer did with my Concept D 9 Pro. CPU is the 9980hq but the laptop does not have Optimus and solely uses the RTX 5000. I tried hackintoshing it, but it turned out that the display has no connection to the HD630 so it can not power the display. I reckon is the same with the Omen. I'll check when i take a break

tomnic

AMD OS X Member
Yes, I use "NyaomiDEV/AMDFriend" patch.
But if run Adobe's products and then close it/or not it makes GPU perform less (Geekbench score: ~36k[metal] ) otherwise it's performing as expected(Geekbench score: ~55k[metal] ). I tried to close all Adobe products (after opening) with Activity monitor, and run the GB but same low score.

That's another kind of issue

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Then logically it should work in macOS.

Not sure which SMBIOS you would use, probably iMac Pro 1,1 as none of the MBP or MBA SMBIOS's would work with just a discrete GPU.

Do you get the full capabilities of the RX580 in Windows, when the laptop's power cord is plugged in? I wouldn't expect you to get the full capability while on battery power, as the battery would drain too quickly and make a mockery of using it while away from a power outlet.

You might want to think about starting a new thread regarding this issue. As we have seriously gone off topic in this thread.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Then logically it should work in macOS.

Not sure which SMBIOS you would use, probably iMac Pro 1,1 as none of the MBP or MBA SMBIOS's would work with just a discrete GPU.

Do you get the full capabilities of the RX580 in Windows, when the laptop's power cord is plugged in? I wouldn't expect you to get the full capability while on battery power, as the battery would drain too quickly and make a mockery of using it while away from a power outlet.

You might want to think about starting a new thread regarding this issue. As we have seriously gone off topic in this thread.
The issue is not that is "not" working. It is working, the problem is that is not working at full speed.

Note: I did a thread, I was invited to come to this thread to improve the performance of the rx 580

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.