GPU Performance Issue, (Somewhat better after sleep)

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
I'm extremely frustrated with my GPU performance.

I've been working on a project on Premiere Pro 2023( latest version), and it's a struggle to play 1080p footage smoothly. let alone effects, color grade applied footage. So I tried to benchmark my Hackintosh, and the GPU perform very poorly. in Mojave, Catalina I used RadeonBoost.kext which help to perform better since I switch to Monterey, especially in Ventura I noticed a major performance drop (I didn't run the GPU benchmark in Monterey). I can't play a 4k video on youtube smoothly, it's making the whole mac laggy.

Here are Geekbench [Version 5.4.5 (503938)] results:

System Spec:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 3700x
MOBO: MSI b450m Mortar max
GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8GB
Ram: Corsair 8+8+16 /3200
PSU: Corsair 550/650watt (I forget the actual rating)

SMBios: MacPro7,1

EDIT: Bluetooth need to be turned off and on after sleep, otherwise won't work.

Attachments

• EFI (without resources folder).zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Hackintool [pcidevices].plist
    11.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Hackintool GFX0.png
    Hackintool GFX0.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Stop using any Radeon kexts or fixes, your RX 580 shouldn't need them to attain a Geekbench 5 score in the 50K region.

This is the Geekbench 5 Metal score I get with my Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580, on an old i7 Haswell Hack running Ventura 13.0.1. You should be able to obtain the same score, if you don't mess around with the GPU.

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 19.32.15.png Metal Geekbench 5 score of 56K+ for Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 on Ventura.

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 19.39.57.png OpenCL score of 49K+ on the same System.

All I use is WhateverGreen.kext. No other booster kexts, fixes or patches required.

As yours is an AMD system you will need one of the two Kernel Patches. The Shaneee patch gives a higher score, so I would stick with that one. But don't use anything else other than WhateverGreen.kext for your GPU in macOS.

Your GPU is found and correctly identified in Hackintool, so there is no need to add any DeviceProperties for your RX 580 to your config.plist.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
This is a screenshot showing the contents of your OC EFI folder.

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 19.49.16.png Current EFI contents (less sub-folder contents for Resources folder)

This is the OC EFI that I would propose you use instead.

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 19.55.13.png Revised EFI folder contents.

I have removed a number of SSDT's, Drivers, Tools and kexts from your EFI.

USBToolBox.kext does nothing if a companion UTBMap.kext is not present. I would recommend you create a custom USB configuration for your system if you haven't already.

Your config.plist has a few minor issues compared to the Ryzen OC guide. I have changed them to follow/match the settings in the Dortania guide.

Assumption you don't have Above 4G Decoding enabled in your bios, as you are using the npci=0x2000 boot argument.

You have a DeviceProperties entry for your Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller with layout-id=15. You also have a boot arg alcid=1. As the Boot argument takes precedence over the DeviceProperties entry, you can remove the layout-id=15 entry. Hackintool is reporting your HD Audio with the layout-id=1. If it needs be set with layout-id=15, simply change the alcid=1 to alcid=15.

You don't have an entry for the prev-lang:kbd Nvram option. This being blank can sometimes cause a kernel panic. So it would be best if your config contained the language setting for your system.

Have a try with this revised EFI attached below. Try it on a spare USB pen drive, see if this helps with the RX 580 issues you are experiencing.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 3

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
I tried with your EFI folder, here is the result:
Still no improvement, but a Massive improvement after sleep.

Before sleep:

After sleep:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yeah, big improvement after sleep on the Metal side in particular. Looks like you need to force your system to sleep just to get the better GPU processing.

@craighazan I can't recall what helped improve the RX 580 GB5 scores on your AMD system. Can you remember and pass on what eventually worked.

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
Assumption you don't have Above 4G Decoding enabled in your bios, as you are using the npci=0x2000 boot argument.
If I enable the Above 4G Decoding in bios and remove the npci=0x2000 boot argument the system won't boot and restart randomly.
So I've disabled it in the bios and added a boot argument.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If I enable the Above 4G Decoding in bios and remove the npci=0x2000 boot argument the system won't boot and restart randomly.
So I've disabled it in the bios and added a boot argument.
That makes perfect sense.

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
Yeah, big improvement after sleep on the Metal side in particular. Looks like you need to force your system to sleep just to get the better GPU processing.

@craighazan I can't recall what helped improve the RX 580 GB5 scores on your AMD system. Can you remember and pass on what eventually worked.
So I've to force my pc to sleep to improve GPU performance 😅

That's not a good solution, right?

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
After sleep, a huge improvement in GPU performance, but Bluetooth doesn't work after sleep, I had to turn it off and on again to get it to work.
is this related to ssdt patch?

craighazan

Donator
Donator

I switched from MacPro7,1 to iMac19,1 that improved my metal score by 15K. But I’m using the ncpi=0x3000 boot argument.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@craighazan thanks for the reminder, I knew it was something unusual for an AMD system, just couldn't remember what exactly. Changing the SMBIOS to an iMac19,1 is not something I would normally recommend.

I use the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS on most of my Hacks and don't have any issues with the 3 x RX 580's or 2 x RX 470's I own (all are 8GB dGPU's).

@walidur234 switching to the npci=0x3000 boot argument is an easy change to make. So give it a try to see if it improves anything regarding your RX 580 scores.

No, your bluetooth not working after sleep is not related to an SSDT patch. None of the SSDT's that were present in your original setup, which I removed, were related or affected the USB ports in your system.

Bluetooth not working is usually related to USB configuration issues. As I mentioned in my second post; USBToolBox.kext was not working/doing anything, it wouldn't without the accompanying UTBMap.kext that contains the USB mapping.

Probably the USB port used by the Bluetooth module is not re-activated when the system wakes from sleep. MacOS can be a bit funny that way, it is why the USB mapping is so essential to a fully working Hack.

Correctly mapping your USB ports will fix this Bluetooth issue.

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
Thank you both for your support, As @craighazan says, I switched my smbios to iMac 19,1 & npci=0x3000, and GPU Performance finally fixed. Also, I've tried some other smbios to test. Here's the result:

iMac19,1 (Currently, I have switched to this smbios)-

iMac19,1 (GPU set as Internal/Built-in via Device Property, Otherwise In Adobe Media Encoder it disables Hardware encoding although it's using GPU when rendering anyway)

iMac20,2 -

iMacPro1.1 -

I'll try to fix the USB as soon as possible. and will update you on that.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I'm extremely frustrated with my GPU performance.

I've been working on a project on Premiere Pro 2023( latest version), and it's a struggle to play 1080p footage smoothly. let alone effects, color grade applied footage. So I tried to benchmark my Hackintosh, and the GPU perform very poorly. in Mojave, Catalina I used RadeonBoost.kext which help to perform better since I switch to Monterey, especially in Ventura I noticed a major performance drop (I didn't run the GPU benchmark in Monterey). I can't play a 4k video on youtube smoothly, it's making the whole mac laggy.

Here are Geekbench [Version 5.4.5 (503938)] results:

System Spec:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 3700x
MOBO: MSI b450m Mortar max
GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8GB
Ram: Corsair 8+8+16 /3200
PSU: Corsair 550/650watt (I forget the actual rating)

SMBios: MacPro7,1

EDIT: Bluetooth need to be turned off and on after sleep, otherwise won't work.
AMD Polaris GPUs with a MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS have bad performance, you'll need to use one like iMac20,2 but keep in mind that you won't have hardware encoding/decoding or DRM. You could also try injecting a framebuffer and removing WhateverGreen.

walidur234

AMD OS X Member

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
Correctly mapping your USB ports will fix this Bluetooth issue.
I created UTBMap.kext (from Windows) and installed it, but it's still the same, I have to turn bluetooth off and on. Anyway, No big deal.
Thank You

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 11.13.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 11.13.08 AM.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 14

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Why do you have AppleMCEReporterDisbler.kext - Disabled in your OC config.plist? Surely you need this for your AMD system to boot.
Try removing/disabling the RadeonSensor.kext.

Make sure you use the ResetNvram.efi tool after enabling and disabling the two kexts, so the new settings are used when you boot your system, not your current settings.

Post a copy of your new UTBMap.kext, so we can see what you are using now.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I created UTBMap.kext (from Windows) and installed it, but it's still the same, I have to turn bluetooth off and on. Anyway, No big deal.
Thank You
Did you set the Bluetooth port as Internal? Send the map and an IOReg dump.

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
Okay I'll disable AppleMCEReporterDisbler.kext, and I use RadeonSensor.kext to monitor GPU temp anyway I'll also disable it while testing.
Here are UTBMap.kext and IOReg.

Attachments

• UTBMap.kext.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IOReg iMac19,1.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 1

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Stop using any Radeon kexts or fixes, your RX 580 shouldn't need them to attain a Geekbench 5 score in the 50K region.

This is the Geekbench 5 Metal score I get with my Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580, on an old i7 Haswell Hack running Ventura 13.0.1. You should be able to obtain the same score, if you don't mess around with the GPU.

View attachment 8645 Metal Geekbench 5 score of 56K+ for Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 on Ventura.

View attachment 8646 OpenCL score of 49K+ on the same System.

All I use is WhateverGreen.kext. No other booster kexts, fixes or patches required.

As yours is an AMD system you will need one of the two Kernel Patches. The Shaneee patch gives a higher score, so I would stick with that one. But don't use anything else other than WhateverGreen.kext for your GPU in macOS.

Your GPU is found and correctly identified in Hackintool, so there is no need to add any DeviceProperties for your RX 580 to your config.plist.
OK, I am only interested in Mojave and my score are abysmal on OpenCL: 10K and Metal: 11k.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.