Do you run multiple hacks at the same time? How do you manage them on your desk?

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi all,

I guess some of you may have at least 2 Hacks (or more) on your desk running at the same time.
For the time being I have my Intel Z490 Vision D fully operational and the new AMD still under configuration.
3 screens on the desk, 2 for the Intel hack and 1 for the AMD.
2 keyboards and 2 mice.
Sometimes it's a bit messy, wrong keyboard or mouse...
I saw some KVM such as https://www.tesmart.com/collections/triple-monitor-kvm-switches/products/hks403-p23
This one is very expensive and I know we can find cheaper on amazon. Are they reliable? useful? Monitor switch working fine?
How do you run your hacks at the same time? Any feed back appreciated...
Thanks for your advice!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Yes. I don't. That's my answer to your title :ROFLMAO: My main rig, the AMD one sits upon my desk. Underneath is a headless UnRaid server. No macOS there.
However I also have an Intel Laptop which dual boots Win 11 and macOS Sonoma.

I have no experience with KVM switches so I'm afraid I can't help here though.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I have just this evening installed a KVM switch on my desktop.

This is an 8K, 2 x Monitor (DP), 4 x PC, USB3 KVM switch. I selected and bought this switch over a 4K switch as they were the same price (£149 in UK).

I have the following machines connected to the KVM switch, with dual DisplayPort 2560x1440 displays. I anticipate upgrading my 2 x Dell displays to 4K in the not too distant future.
  1. Asus Z270-A Pro, i7-7700K, Vega 56, 32GB RAM 2 x WD SD 570 1TB, Ventura & Windows 11
  2. Asus TUF Gaming B550m Plus WiFi II, Ryzen 7 5700G, RX 5700 XT, 32GB RAM, 2 x WD SD 770 1TB, macOS Ventura & Win11
  3. Asus Strix X570-F Gaming, Ryzen 9 3900X, RX 6700 XT, 32GB RAM, 2 x WD SN 770 1TB, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 & Win11
  4. HP ML10 Gen9 Server, Intel Xeon E3-1235L v5, WX 5100, 20GB RAM, Samsung 256GB SSD, 2 x 4TB & 4 x 3TB WD Red drives, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1
I am sharing a single Dell AC511 USB Soundbar for audio on all four systems, via the switch.
I am sharing a single Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 on all four systems, via the switch.
I am using a Logitech K540 Keyboard and Mouse combo, via the switch.

It works so far, I can jump from one system to another by simply pressing a button on the front of the switch. I haven't had a chance to test everything, so there may be some teething issues to overcome.

I had to purchase a few DP to DP cables, as I was using a mixture of DP to DP, mDP to DP and HDMI to HDMI cables previously. Each Dell display allows you to connect 1 x DP, 1 x mDP and 2 x HDMI cables. I was using all of these connectors previously. Now I am only connecting these 4 x systems via the mDP connections.

The USB3 Type-A to Type-B cables provided with the switch are too short to connect all four systems, so I have had to use a pair of USB3 extension cables to connect the two furthest systems to the switch.

I will provide an update as and when I run into any issues.

Last edited:

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk Thanks, very interesting indeed. I may have to look for a 3 DP monitors KVM.
One question regarding your 2 DP monitors Do you switch from one machine to another or can you allocate each monitor to a specific PC?
I have 3 34" monitors on my desk. So far 2 are on the Intel Hack and the 3rd one on the AMD one. I was was wondering if it would be possible to run a 3-0 or 0-3 or 2-1 or 1-2 config, allocating the number of monitors you want to the PC you want.
Hope I am clear enough :cool:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Simply connecting only one display cable for any system would limit the displays used.
Obviously you would need to match the display in and display out ports for a specific display. to be used by one system.

I was thinking of doing something similar with the HP ML10 server, as it doesn’t require two displays. I only connect with a display in use when updating or maintaining the system. The rest of the time I use Screen Sharing to connect to the server.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
I just have two desks and get up and walk to the other one, natural KVM!.

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have only one chair. Any recommendations? :)

craighazan

Donator
Donator

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am in the process of seeing if it is possible to upgrade my current chair with some chair casters.
Stay tuned!

craighazan

Donator
Donator
I believe this is what you're looking for, only $400!.

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.25.51 PM.png

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk
Did you have some time to test your KVM?

I need a KVM for 2 PC (Hacks :cool: ) and 3 monitors with DP output and this dramatically reduces the choice.

Diving in the jungle of devices available shows that EDID capabilities are mandatory.
Otherwise, if I properly understood, the KVM does not "remember" how all the windows were displayed when you opened them, and you need to reorganize all of them each time you switch from one PC to the other.
This is my main concern.

Does your KVM have this EDID capability?
All in all what's your current experience after using it for some time now.
Prices range from $100 to more than $1,000. I don't want to overspend, and at the same time, I need something that fits my needs (as always!).

Thanks in advance once again.
Mac

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, I have been using it since my last message.

As with any device there is a bit of a learning curve with the KVM switch I bought.
  • I had trouble with a few DP cables, so much so that I ended up replacing 7 of the 10 cables used in my setup. The 3 x cables I kept were only 4 months old.
  • There was nothing wrong with the DP cables I replaced, other than they didn't like being used in the KVM switch. Got a few black screen issue on one display, and a few glitches during usage.
  • Nothing I could do about that, but I was lucky enough to get a deal on the 7 x cables on Amazon UK, just £6.34 each for the 8K 2m long DP to DP cables. They have since gone back to their original price of £8.99 each.
  • Moving the cables from one connector on the switch to another was also necessary, to get the correct main/boot display set for each of the four systems. As the Splash screen only appears on one display.
  • The USB connection worked perfectly. So I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo, USB audio and Webcam provided through the switch for the four systems with only one USB keyboard & mouse, one USB speaker and one Webcam. I previously had 3 x Logitech keyboards & mice combos and 1 x Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse on my desk. Each system had its own USB speaker and I was using two systems with their own Webcam. So I have much less clutter on my desk.
  • I did need to buy 4 x USB3 (1m long) extension cables to prevent the KVM USB cables from having to stretch to their limit. These were inexpensive, less than £10 for the 4 x cables, so not an issue.
Other than the above the switch has worked really well. Switching between systems is as easy as pressing a button on the front of the switch. They don't need to be on when I turn the KVM switch on, they can be powered up at any point.

Doesn't matter which OS I am running both macOS & Windows run with no issues.

I honestly don't know why someone would spend £500 or more on a KVM switch, as these less expensive switches work. I think the £150 I spent on the switch was good value. Would have liked to have got it cheaper, but that wasn't to be the case.

I should imagine that if the 3 x USB3 ports aren't enough for someone, then adding a powered USB Hub or self powered dock/hub through the switch would solve that issue. I have thought about getting one, but don't need to presently as I can connect devices through the case front ports on each system very easily. Bit more of a struggle to reach the rear ports but I don't need to do that too often.

Hope this helps.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I have a 62 inch long desk the supports my Intel Z790 Hack in an ATX Case that sits all the way to the left up top and a M2 Mac mini all the way to the right. In the middle is a Samsung 49" OLED Monitor and on the floor, all the way to the left, I have my AMD Hack set up in a larger case. I use a Logitech MX Keys for Mac paired with a MX Master 3 for Mac mouse that is shared by all three, you can switch output for up to three devices using multiple USB dongles. Then I have a DisplayPortSwitch I use to change output to monitor with. The monitor gets confused sometimes when switching from the Thunderbolt to DP cable I use for the Mac mini to either of the PCs but its easy to resolve, typically power down the monitor and all is well again. I have thought about KVM switches and may decide to go that route at some point

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I had looked at getting a similar Logitech keyboard mouse combo that could serve more than one system. But wasn't sure about the cost and the effectiveness of the setup. Too many bad reviews in the UK.

I suppose your DP splitter is similar to a KVM switch, but only provides the display part of the switching function.

Sounds like you have a nice setup.

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Looks as though it will get the job done.

As it’s from Amazon you have the 30 day safety net to try it and return it if it doesn’t work.

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
:cool: Try to send back something to Amazon from Cambodia! :)
Let' go for it, I'll keep you posted...
Thanks for everything

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.