AudioGod's ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING - Big Sur & Monterey Beta - OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
I used this EFI and updated to Monterey but booting is taking forever... any tips?
(to activate verbose mode during boot, do I have to add -v to boot arguments, right?)

Do you have a RX 6000 GPU? I believe the EFI has WhatEverGreen disabled. You may have to enable it.

Also you can try the original EFI. We’re you able to boot?

Fonzeca

AMD OS X Member
This build works flawlessly with the mobo x570-p prime + 3900x + 64 gb ram 3200mhz + rx580 and rt8111h chipset.

Download rt8111 v2.4.2 kext driver , change your smbios as said on the tutorial and dont.forget to edit config.plist and remove the
  • SmallTreeIntel82576.kext and change for the lan driver needed.
From kext folder on efi/oc/kext, remove the smallTreeIntel82576.kext and change 4 the.correct one.

Restart and it will be fine with lan on web installer or full install method.

If u dont remove the smaltree.kext or any other kext from config.plist and it doesnt exist on kext folder, it will.not boot after opencore hdd selection

Hope it helps someone and always confirm the chipset from the lan driver.

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
Do you have a RX 6000 GPU? I believe the EFI has WhatEverGreen disabled. You may have to enable it.

Also you can try the original EFI. We’re you able to boot?
I have a RX 5700 XT. Do I have to change anything?
Yes, I can boot, but it takes forever. Only in Monterey... Big Sur boots ok.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member

Remove agdpmod=ignore from the boot arguments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Monterey broke TRIM on some devices, mostly Samsung drives. This is most likely why it's taking longer to boot @vitorpvcampos

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
Monterey broke TRIM on some devices, mostly Samsung drives. This is most likely why it's taking longer to boot @vitorpvcampos
I tested it on a regular Adata SSD, but my main machine, with Biug Sur, is on a Crucial P5 Pro NVME (which I can't risk testing because I use it to work). But I'm suspecting the problem is the bluetooth or Wifi kexts I added.
Anyway, should I remove agdpmod=ignore with 5700XT?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member

I am using the Western Digital SN850 NVMe and SN500 SSD. No long boot time on either of them.

I remember when selecting storage reading that Samsung has a proprietary TRIM that does not always pay well MacOS and are prone to excessive wear.

marinekev88

AMD OS X Member
I am using the Western Digital SN850 NVMe and SN500 SSD. No long boot time on either of them.

I remember when selecting storage reading that Samsung has a proprietary TRIM that does not always pay well MacOS and are prone to excessive wear.
How long, rough estimate, are your boot times? I run now 0.7.6 with Samsung 970 evo nvme and I would say into the OS is about 25 sec from post

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
How long, rough estimate, are your boot times? I run now 0.7.6 with Samsung 970 evo nvme and I would say into the OS is about 25 sec from post

10 seconds at most with the password prompt.

Last edited:

misterrm

AMD OS X Member
oh well.. i am on 12.0.1 with very similar amd build to yours and mine hackintosh takes like ~1min to boot after the post to the login screen. Hackintosh running stable tho. Wondering what i screwed up.

Pabo

Donator
Donator

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
Did you try the EFI I modified to get the sensor in iStat Menus? Just want to ensure it works properly.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
I can confirm Monterey 12.2 Beta 1 works the 0.7.6 EFI.

marinekev88

AMD OS X Member
I exchanged the problem M2 Samsung 980 for Aorus 1T and Problem is gone .... Boot 10s
Did you use anything to migrate your old drive or just fresh install and time machine it

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Pabo

Donator
Donator
Did you use anything to migrate your old drive or just fresh install and time machine it

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
New clean installation

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
Did you try the EFI I modified to get the sensor in iStat Menus? Just want to ensure it works properly.
I used exactly this one. On Big Sur it's working fine (but I deleted the wifi and bluetooth kexts to "ensure" greater stability). In Monterey, the system was unstable, slow, boot time was also very slow...
As I use the machine to work (I work with Data Science, Machine Learning etc.), I stayed with Big Sur.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
I used exactly this one. On Big Sur it's working fine (but I deleted the wifi and bluetooth kexts to "ensure" greater stability). In Monterey, the system was unstable, slow, boot time was also very slow...
As I use the machine to work (I work with Data Science, Machine Learning etc.), I stayed with Big Sur.

It appears it is the TRIM on the Samsung drives that is causing the slow boot in Monterey and not the WIFI/Bluetooth Kext.

whatevergreen

AMD OS X Member
I had periodic freezes with this efi. like once in every 20-30 minutes. i noticed this in games like StarCraft 2 for mac. I solved them in my case with adding https://github.com/acidanthera/NVMeFix this to the efi config. i think it should be added as essential to the efi. so if others experience similar issues its because of your ssd is non apple. might solve all that slow boot issues. mine is 15 seconds with samsung 970 pro nvme ssd

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.