AMD Ryzen R9 5900HX+6600m Install Monterey kernel Panic

daliansky

AMD OS X Member
hey, @ExtremeXT, @Visual, I just got a minisforum hx90g, when I install monterey 12.6, I get a kernel panic message, I tried a few patches made by @Visual, but the kernel panic message will Recurrence; if it is convenient, can you provide directions or ideas to solve the problem; thank you very much.
Monterey_12.6_KP.png

Attachments

• Reports.zip
    220.3 KB · Views: 16
  • EFI.zip
    19 MB · Views: 18

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
When I plug the device in the two usb4 ports, the device is recognized in hackintool, but when using diskutil list, it gets stuck and the device becomes unresponsive
Some updates:
  • EJ188/EJ198 is on GPP5 and seems to work okay
    • I have renamed XHC7 to XHC5
  • IOReg shows that XHC0 and XHC1 did not get renamed by the previous SSDT
    • So new SSDT does not delete XHC0 and XHC1
    • Instead, I am now deleting the RHUB device under XHC0 and XHC1 and creating a new RHUB with child ports
  • Previous port map did not modify GP19 that handles the three USB-C ports
    • I have created new SSDT-USB-HX99G-GP19.aml that deletes RHUB under XHC2, XHC3, XHC4 and creates new RHUB devices and child ports PRT1 and PRT2, both set to Type 9
    • We must also use the companion kext USBPorts-XHC2-XHC3-XHC4.kext
So let's try one more time with the following new files in REV-2 (attached):

First we have three SSDTs (previous ones should be disabled or replaced):
  • SSDT-USB-HX99G-GP17.aml
  • SSDT-USB-HX99G-GP19.aml
  • SSDT-USB-HX99G-GPP5.aml
And we have two code-less kexts (previous ones should be disabled or replaced):
  • USBPorts-XHC0-XHC1-XHC5.kext
  • USBPorts-XHC2-XHC3-XHC4.kext
After applying these changes and rebooting, let's see:
  • If USB-C ports work
  • IOReg output

Attachments

• Port-Map-HX99G-VER-2.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 8

daliansky

AMD OS X Member
Some updates:
  • EJ188/EJ198 is on GPP5 and seems to work okay
    • I have renamed XHC7 to XHC5
  • IOReg shows that XHC0 and XHC1 did not get renamed by the previous SSDT
    • So new SSDT does not delete XHC0 and XHC1
    • Instead, I am now deleting the RHUB device under XHC0 and XHC1 and creating a new RHUB with child ports
  • Previous port map did not modify GP19 that handles the three USB-C ports
    • I have created new SSDT-USB-HX99G-GP19.aml that deletes RHUB under XHC2, XHC3, XHC4 and creates new RHUB devices and child ports PRT1 and PRT2, both set to Type 9
    • We must also use the companion kext USBPorts-XHC2-XHC3-XHC4.kext
So let's try one more time with the following new files in REV-2 (attached):

First we have three SSDTs (previous ones should be disabled or replaced):
  • SSDT-USB-HX99G-GP17.aml
  • SSDT-USB-HX99G-GP19.aml
  • SSDT-USB-HX99G-GPP5.aml
And we have two code-less kexts (previous ones should be disabled or replaced):
  • USBPorts-XHC0-XHC1-XHC5.kext
  • USBPorts-XHC2-XHC3-XHC4.kext
After applying these changes and rebooting, let's see:
  • If USB-C ports work
  • IOReg output
Nothing seems to have changed, including bluetooth devices that are not working properly and responding very slowly.

Attachments

• HX99G_ioreg_3-28-2023.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 1

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Nothing seems to have changed, including bluetooth devices that are not working properly and responding very slowly.
Let's try one more attempt (VER 3) -- simply copy all files from attached ZIP to EFI/OC/ACPI and EFI/OC/Kexts folder and reboot. Would be good to see the IOReg file after reboot.

If this does not make any difference either, then I am out of ideas! ;)

Attachments

• Port-Map-HX99G-VER-3.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 7

daliansky

AMD OS X Member
Let's try one more attempt (VER 3) -- simply copy all files from attached ZIP to EFI/OC/ACPI and EFI/OC/Kexts folder and reboot. Would be good to see the IOReg file after reboot.

If this does not make any difference either, then I am out of ideas! ;)

Attachments

• HX99G_ioreg_3-30-2023.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 3

phillip.au

AMD OS X Member
I have only discovered this thread, having recently bought a HX99G (external 6600 graphics). I work in embedded systems development but have zero Hackintosh experience.

With the current settings, I can verify that two adjacent type-A usb ports are working on the rear and they can support USB2 devices and hubs but for USB3, only a single device and NO hubs ever work. For USB3, the IOregistry tool also shows the usb drivers occasionally deleting and reattaching this one device and when using a USB3 type network interface, the network link is consequently being restarted. These two type-A ports are on "XHC5" (base addresses 0x0010,0000 for the first port) and I believe this is the Etron EJ188/EJ198 chipset i.e. not the Rembrandt SoC USB.

Can anyone advise me if this is sensible:
. focus on getting only these two type-A XHC5 ports working fully (5Gbps with hubs) and remove any mention of the others from ACPI etc., or
. is it better to try to get say one of the Rembrandt ports working (the third type-A port on the rear is currently mapped to XHC1 ports 1/USB2 and 5/USB10Gbps, addresses 81x0,0000)?

(not sure if we can just ignore other controllers)
Thank you.

idaima

AMD OS X Member
I have only discovered this thread, having recently bought a HX99G (external 6600 graphics). I work in embedded systems development but have zero Hackintosh experience.

With the current settings, I can verify that two adjacent type-A usb ports are working on the rear and they can support USB2 devices and hubs but for USB3, only a single device and NO hubs ever work. For USB3, the IOregistry tool also shows the usb drivers occasionally deleting and reattaching this one device and when using a USB3 type network interface, the network link is consequently being restarted. These two type-A ports are on "XHC5" (base addresses 0x0010,0000 for the first port) and I believe this is the Etron EJ188/EJ198 chipset i.e. not the Rembrandt SoC USB.

Can anyone advise me if this is sensible:
. focus on getting only these two type-A XHC5 ports working fully (5Gbps with hubs) and remove any mention of the others from ACPI etc., or
. is it better to try to get say one of the Rembrandt ports working (the third type-A port on the rear is currently mapped to XHC1 ports 1/USB2 and 5/USB10Gbps, addresses 81x0,0000)?

(not sure if we can just ignore other controllers)
Thank you.
Is there any progress now?

phillip.au

AMD OS X Member
No progress by me. I've tried DSDT&Kexts from here, and also from https://github.com/Xmingbai/HX99G-Hackintosh (this EFI work appears to use an actual HX99).

I am currently using the system (monterey 12.6.3) but with only the two adjacent read USB type A sockets active - one supports a normal collection of USB2 only devices, and the other can have one USB2 or one USB3 device (i.e. I can have 2 fast internal nvme disks and one fast external usb3.2 disk, and I have a USB2 network interface). I have to balance hacking time with work time.

For Linux, I've found that the pop_os! Linux correctly detects all hardware including the 6600 GPU and usb3.2 (looks like thunderbolt is also working but I didn't check that). For BSD, you'll need FreeBSD-14-current in order that the latest linux drivers for navi23 (6600) can be installed i.e. don't bother with FreeBSD-13.x. When working on adjusting monterey, I find that the pop_os! install USB disk offers a fast way to quickly access the EFI setup and restore a known working version if something breaks.

zeroice

AMD OS X Member
hey, @ExtremeXT, @Visual, I just got a minisforum hx90g, when I install monterey 12.6, I get a kernel panic message, I tried a few patches made by @Visual, but the kernel panic message will Recurrence; if it is convenient, can you provide directions or ideas to solve the problem; thank you very much.
View attachment 7592
小兵大佬你好,我的机器是R7000p2021a。5800h和6600m出现了和你一样的提示这个该怎么解决DC7A0624C277C7502C7E225EEFB55FC8.jpg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
小兵大佬你好,我的机器是R7000p2021a。5800h和6600m出现了和你一样的提示这个该怎么解决
Hello, Xiaobing, my machine is R7000p2021a. 5800h and 6600m have the same prompt as you. How to solve this problem?

@zeroice post in English. Using a Translation app/Google or Apple's built-in Translation isn't difficult.
@zeroice 用英语发帖。使用翻译应用程序/谷歌或苹果的内置翻译并不难。

phillip.au

AMD OS X Member
No progress by me. I've tried DSDT&Kexts from here, and also from https://github.com/Xmingbai/HX99G-Hackintosh (this EFI work appears to use an actual HX99).

I am currently using the system (monterey 12.6.3) but with only the two adjacent read USB type A sockets active - one supports a normal collection of USB2 only devices, and the other can have one USB2 or one USB3 device (i.e. I can have 2 fast internal nvme disks and one fast external usb3.2 disk, and I have a USB2 network interface). I have to balance hacking time with work time.

For Linux, I've found that the pop_os! Linux correctly detects all hardware including the 6600 GPU and usb3.2 (looks like thunderbolt is also working but I didn't check that). For BSD, you'll need FreeBSD-14-current in order that the latest linux drivers for navi23 (6600) can be installed i.e. don't bother with FreeBSD-13.x. When working on adjusting monterey, I find that the pop_os! install USB disk offers a fast way to quickly access the EFI setup and restore a known working version if something breaks.
One work around for USB3.x that has helped me is place an M.2 to PCIe extender (https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B078HKPR9N/) in the second M.2 NVMe socket and then drive an external Inateck PCIe to USB 3.2 Gen 2 Card (https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08M5YHWFD). I am not convinced that this particular Inateck card supports USB3.2gen2 as claimed but it seems fine as USB3.2gen1. By avoiding the AMD 6900HX internal USB controllers, the system is very stable.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The Inateck PCIe card has a maximum bandwidth of 20 Gbs which is shared between the 5 x USB ports.

The 2 x Type-C ports and next two Type-A ports share 10 Gbs between them. So using more than one port at a time would impact on the bandwidth available to each connected device.

Only the bottom/left hand Type-A port has 10 Gbs bandwidth exclusively.

1687163728545.jpeg
The M.2 adapter adds another limitation to the equation seeing as the maximum throughput it is capable of is 1000 Mb/s.

phillip.au

AMD OS X Member
The Inateck PCIe card has a maximum bandwidth of 20 Gbs which is shared between the 5 x USB ports.

The 2 x Type-C ports and next two Type-A ports share 10 Gbs between them. So using more than one port at a time would impact on the bandwidth available to each connected device.

Only the bottom/left hand Type-A port has 10 Gbs bandwidth exclusively.

View attachment 11059
The M.2 adapter adds another limitation to the equation seeing as the maximum throughput it is capable of is 1000 Mb/s.
Thanks! That PCIe adapter (from my hacking junk box) rated at 1GB/s explains why I never see >5Gb/s from the Inateck card.
Now that I have a stable system, I will search for an adapter with better speed specs (I see a few more compact options from a quick search just now).

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.