AMD Rayon R7 5800H Install Monterey kernel Panic

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, the Monterey kernel panic problem has been solved for AMD R7 5800H notebook installation. It is a great thing that the CPU can now run on 8 cores. Thank you guys very much.Thank them for discovering the problem and providing kernel patches @ExtremeX@Visual

Brand: Lenovo
Model: Legion 5 6th Gen
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800h
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600m 8GB ( Separate GPU mode)
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0 (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Ram: x2 8GB 3200mhz ddr4
Display: 15.6 1080p 165HZ

Updated October 5, 2023
Problems solved:
1. You do not need to disable XHCI
2. The microphone problem is rectified
3. Monitor brightness can be adjusted, only in Ventura

Unresolved issues:
Failure to wake from sleep

Attachments

• EFI-2023-10-5.zip
    40 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Solution
Panic from Monterey 12.6
View attachment 7258
Thanks. I looked at the sched_prim.c file in the XNU Kernel source code (nice of Apple to let us know exactly where to search) and found that it's related to the TSC (Time Stamp Counter) Syncronization of the CPU cores. The section of the code which gives the panic is: https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/xnu/blob/xnu-8020.140.41/osfmk/kern/sched_prim.c#L2836
Unfortunately Apple didn't update the XNU Source Code for macOS 12.6 yet, but I still managed to find the place where it calls the panic.
Image 1 is the code of XNU that panics if the time between cores does not match (not syncronized properly).

As seen when comparing the Big Sur and Monterey code (Image 2), Big Sur...

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
I have changed the ACPI file to my coustomized USB. But still get a forbidden icon after USBMS identifiers non-unique
It may be that the USB controller of Ryzen 7 6000 has compatibility issues and you cannot install it, but you can start the system installed on the hard disk and then add the old version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext and use it

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member
It may be that the USB controller of Ryzen 7 6000 has compatibility issues and you cannot install it, but you can start the system installed on the hard disk and then add the old version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext and use it
Is there any instructions to install the system from hard disk?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The two screen images you posted show different issues.

The first is a common issue where the laptop has stalled at the PCI Configuration Begins stage. There are a number of issues that can cause this KP. Ther are as many fixes too. See the OC Troubleshooting page linked below.

The second image may be related to the above, as it is an RTC related kernel panic.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
You need to add the ncpi=0x3000 boot argument if you can't enable Above 4G Decoding in your bios.

If you enable Above 4G Decoding in your bios, GPUBars option becomes available, usually, and should also be enabled. Then and only then do you change ResizeAppleGPUBars to '0'. If you don't have the GPUBars option enabled in your bios, then leave the setting as '-1' in your config.plist.
Some laptops don't have the BIOS option and it's hard enabled.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
The two screen images you posted show different issues.

The first is a common issue where the laptop has stalled at the PCI Configuration Begins stage. There are a number of issues that can cause this KP. Ther are as many fixes too. See the OC Troubleshooting page linked below.

The second image may be related to the above, as it is an RTC related kernel panic.
Where is the kernel panic?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The first screenshot show the PCI Configuration Begin issue.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 151210.png

The second screenshot shows the RTC read failure

Screenshot 2023-11-07 151257 - Copy.png

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member

View attachment 12386

View attachment 12384
With zxc2689963's newly provided EFI, these KP has been resolved. But it comes with another KP following of USBMS identifiers non-unique with a forbidden icon. It may be related to USB controller of Ryzen 7 6000 has compatibility issues. But I have no idea how it could resolve. Would you kindly provide some help? Thank you

Attachments

• EFI (2).zip
    43.1 MB · Views: 5

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
With zxc2689963's newly provided EFI, these KP has been resolved. But it comes with another KP following of USBMS identifiers non-unique with a forbidden icon. It may be related to USB controller of Ryzen 7 6000 has compatibility issues. But I have no idea how it could resolve. Would you kindly provide some help? Thank you
What version of BIOS are you using? Zen 3+ architecture notebooks have added the AMD USB4 function. The IOUSBHostFamily driver cannot recognize AMD USB4. The USB4 function can be added in the BIOS update. Try downgrading to the lowest version of the BIOS. If it still doesn't work, there is nothing you can do. You can only install MACOS on another computer, then remove the hard drive and install it in the laptop

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member
What version of BIOS are you using? Zen 3+ architecture notebooks have added the AMD USB4 function. The IOUSBHostFamily driver cannot recognize AMD USB4. The USB4 function can be added in the BIOS update. Try downgrading to the lowest version of the BIOS. If it still doesn't work, there is nothing you can do. You can only install MACOS on another computer, then remove the hard drive and install it in the laptop
My bios version is KFCN27WW。 Which bios version should I downgrade? And is there any possible way to downgrade legion bios? Thank you.

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member

View attachment 12386

View attachment 12384
Is there anyway to fix the issue of IOUSBHostFamily driver not recognizing AMD USB4? I think this issue leads to the forbidden icon after the bios hands the use controller to usb boot loaders. Thanks

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    43.1 MB · Views: 7

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Short of disabling the ports during installation, I am not aware of a fix for the USB4 ports.

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member
Would IOUSBHostFamily driver support Zen 3+'s added USB4 in near future? Thanks

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, Apple won’t be adding any additional drivers or driver updates to macOS for USB4, as they have only implemented Thunderbolt/USB4 on their Apple Silicon systems.

The end of support for Intel systems in new macOS releases could come with the next major release, next September. If not it will definitely happen the next year. So Apple won’t be providing any new features, drivers or significant improvements for the last of the Intel systems they currently support. They want everyone to move to their Apple Silicon systems, so additional support for the dying Intel systems is probably the last thing they intend or would want to do.

zxc2689963

AMD OS X Member
Would IOUSBHostFamily driver support Zen 3+'s added USB4 in near future? Thanks
You can try to use the UniversalAMDFormBrowser tool to close projects related to USB4. Your laptop model should not have USB4, but I saw the NHIO code in the DSDT. If you still can't solve the problem, you can only wait until the core graphics card of ZEN3+ can drive it. It may be possible by then. Someone knows how to deal with this problem

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
4.jpg5.jpg

Attachments

• Smokeless_UMAF-main.zip
    569.8 KB · Views: 1

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Anyone using the AX200ngw wifi card? The Wifi works, however not the Bluetooth. Or is the AX210 is the one recommended under Sonoma?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, I have an Intel AX200 WiFi/BT card installed in my Asus X570 system running Sonoma. Both WiFi and Bluetooth are working perfectly.

I have an Intel AX210 in another Hack and that works great too. This is the better option for macOS if you have WiFi 6 network.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yes, I have an Intel AX200 WiFi/BT card installed in my Asus X570 system running Sonoma. Both WiFi and Bluetooth are working perfectly.

I have an Intel AX210 in another Hack and that works great too. This is the better option for macOS if you have WiFi 6 network.
Both ax200 and 210 have spotty Bluetooth performance on on the Legion 5. They work but, meh. The Broadcom is a lot better, but the Wifi is pain getting it working on this machine. Wifi on the intel is very good however.

AJCOSTA

AMD OS X Member
I have a ryzen 5600h and rx6600 m.After the installation when I boot it gets stuck showing iokitdeamon kernalmanager stall iGPU

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.