Ryzen 7000 Testing

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just add the other five DeviceProperties, as shown in the screenshot below. You might not need an SSDT if the framebuffer patches work with your AMD system.

View attachment 9706

I don't think you need the -radcodec boot argument either, but that is another matter.

The device path for your discrete GPU is (_SB.PCI0.GPP0.SWUS.SWDS.GFX0) according to the gfxutil screenshot.

So I googled about this Henbury issue, and my GPU doesn't seem to exhibit issues with high temps. as I type this my GPU is idling at around 44 C and occasionally drops down to 42C.

I ran the Heaven benchmark and the GPU temps spiked up to 63 C, but that is hardly of concern. I will add these Strings to my config.plist but I don't think it will help.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
So I googled about this Henbury issue, and my GPU doesn't seem to exhibit issues with high temps. as I type this my GPU is idling at around 44 C and occasionally drops down to 42C.

I ran the Heaven benchmark and the GPU temps spiked up to 63 C, but that is hardly of concern. I will add these Strings to my config.plist but I don't think it will help.
My RX 6650 XT is idling between 40-45°C in Windows but it works fine, Zero RPM as well.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
My RX 6650 XT is idling between 40-45°C in Windows but it works fine, Zero RPM as well.
Same here.. this Fractal Torrent case doesn't have RGB or glass panels but I ran it on my test bench for weeks and I can confirm the 6650Xt fans rarely spun at all. This is in macOS using RadeonGadget temps.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You only need an SSDT if you need to define PCI Bridges, in your case devprops are enough. You should have:
device-id | Data | FF730000
model | String | AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT
@0,name | String | ATY,Henbury

Does this look ok?

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 9.22.26 PM.png

unfortunately it didn't help in terms of getting GFXBench Metal working. but HEAVEN, GeekBench Compute and SotTR all work fine.

on a related note, do I need @0,name | String | ATY,Henbury for the 6900XTX? or is it something for the 6600XT/6650XT only?

I am thinking of swapping the PowerColor Red Devil 6900XTX in my X570 build into this X670E Hero build since it has been running so stable the past few weeks.

The only other reason I can think of why GFXBench Metal says "API not supported" is that I never disabled onboard graphics of the 7950X

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 9.47.41 PM.png
you will note that while the 6650XT is the second entry, it is listed as Slot-1 while the onboard graphics is Slot-2 even though it is the 1st entry in Grpahics/Displays

What do you guys think?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Does this look ok?

View attachment 9707

unfortunately it didn't help in terms of getting GFXBench Metal working. but HEAVEN, GeekBench Compute and SotTR all work fine.

on a related note, do I need @0,name | String | ATY,Henbury for the 6900XTX? or is it something for the 6600XT/6650XT only?

I am thinking of swapping the PowerColor Red Devil 6900XTX in my X570 build into this X670E Hero build since it has been running so stable the past few weeks.

The only other reason I can think of why GFXBench Metal says "API not supported" is that I never disabled onboard graphics of the 7950X

View attachment 9708
you will note that while the 6650XT is the second entry, it is listed as Slot-1 while the onboard graphics is Slot-2 even though it is the 1st entry in Grpahics/Displays

What do you guys think?
Yes, your props look fine. Henbury is for 6600, Belknap is for 6800 and Carswell is for 6900, older cards don't benefit from a named framebuffer.

Yes, that is a very likely reason. Why aren't you disabling your iGPU? Do you need it in Windows? If yes, you should disable it with an SSDT, unmanaged GPU issues can cause enormous issues in a Hackintosh, especially with sleep.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The RX 5700 uses Adder and the RX 5500 uses Python.

See the attached plist, it contains the DeviceProperties for the main Navi discrete GPU's.

Attachments

• Navi-DeviceProperties.plist.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 5

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
If you use Device Properties to make the disks connected to the Sata controllers internal, The Asus Rog X670E Hero loses on those controllers the ability to have those hot plug disks
@CaseySJ and all other x670 motherboard users.
Do you guys get the same thing?

Obviously without Device Properties declared just turn on the corresponding option (Hot Plug) for the disk to have it working

Edit:
using only kernel quirk ExternalIcons (which usually is not advised to be used for this task) hot plug works and icons have right internal grey color

Last edited:

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
The RX 5700 uses Adder and the RX 5500 uses Python.

See the attached plist, it contains the DeviceProperties for the main Navi discrete GPU's.
I know, but I heard reports of crashes and broken sleep when using a named framebuffer on older cards.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Why aren't you disabling your iGPU?
I''m not sure.. I will try now. I hate where the "disable iGPU is in the BIOS so I just leave it on.

Do you need it in Windows?

I do not. I rarely, if ever use windows on this PC. It was purpose built to be a hackintosh. I just have Windows for testing purposes and to play around with RGB. now that my case is closed tho, there is almost no RGB visible.

I will try disabling the iGPU to see if GFXBench Metal will run.

again.. everything seems to be running rock solid -- except for sleep.

but my USB ports are all working fine so I am reluctant to map them.

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yes, that is a very likely reason. Why aren't you disabling your iGPU?

You guys are geniuses.. disabling the iGPU in the BIOS did the trick.

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 11.48.26 AM.png

GFXBench Metal works fine now.. YAY

Hi @Galve2000 if you are using my EFi, maybe you have a SSDT for USB mapping there

I am using your EFI but I do not see any SSDTs related to USB port mapping. I' also not seeing any USBToolbox kexts. I will say so far all of the USB ports I have used seem to work fine.

but I feel like tihs is an older version of your EFI

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 12.25.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 12.23.00 PM.png
Whle I have your attention @mariettosun, what is the purpose of AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext? is it just for Hero Onboard Wifi 6E? I disable mine in favor of using the Fenvi T919 b/c a mac is not a mac without Airdrop, handoff, and original continuity.

I wonder if Sleep wasn't working for me this whole time b.c I didn't disable the IGPU.

do I dare put my system to sleep?

hmmm..

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
I am using your EFI but I do not see any SSDTs related to USB port mapping.
check ssdt-XHC (you have to check well if it is properly good also for you (without it you loose Realtek 2-0 usb audio (Maybe)
I prefer a SSDT and I do not use any kext for USB mapping (it is a field very new for me because my previous system didn't need to map usb

what is the purpose of AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext? is it just for Hero Onboard Wifi 6E?
It is for ethernet (i225)
You can also avoid to use ssdt-i225 (no need it for Asus Hero)
it is not related to wifi
I suggest to check for latest EFI

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
You guys are geniuses.. disabling the iGPU in the BIOS did the trick.

View attachment 9710

GFXBench Metal works fine now.. YAY

I am using your EFI but I do not see any SSDTs related to USB port mapping. I' also not seeing any USBToolbox kexts. I will say so far all of the USB ports I have used seem to work fine.

but I feel like tihs is an older version of your EFI

View attachment 9711
View attachment 9712
Whle I have your attention @mariettosun, what is the purpose of AppleIntel210Ethernet.kext? is it just for Hero Onboard Wifi 6E? I disable mine in favor of using the Fenvi T919 b/c a mac is not a mac without Airdrop, handoff, and original continuity.

I wonder if Sleep wasn't working for me this whole time b.c I didn't disable the IGPU.

do I dare put my system to sleep?

hmmm..
Nice! Yes, you should try sleep, if not, we can debug it, I have never met a system where sleep was fully unfixable and I doubt it exists.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Nice! Yes, you should try sleep, if not, we can debug it, I have never met a system where sleep was fully unfixable and I doubt it exists.

You guys called it. it was the iGPU all along. I disabled the iGPU in the BIOS earlier today and thenI put the system to sleep roughly 4 hours ago and it woke right up with a single key stroke just now.

thank you thank you thank you!

this also happened just now..

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 5.37.05 PM.png
I am just not ready for Ventura.. but maybe soon.

edited to add:

This also happened last weekend...

7900XTX .jpg

it was a moment of weakness when I finally found it for "near" MSRP...

it's a waste as I know it will prob never be supported by MacOS... but.. a boy can dream.

I'm going to start building my X670E Creator soon. I may run it in Windows for a while just to play with my new toy.

if anyone can get it working, it's @CaseySJ , @ExtremeXT , or @Shaneee

let's get it done!

Last edited:

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
You guys called it. it was the iGPU all along. I disabled the iGPU in the BIOS earlier today and thenI put the system to sleep roughly 4 hours ago and it woke right up with a single key stroke just now.

thank you thank you thank you!

this also happened just now..

View attachment 9716
I am just not ready for Ventura.. but maybe soon.

edited to add:

This also happened last weekend...

View attachment 9717

it was a moment of weakness when I finally found it for "near" MSRP...

it's a waste as I know it will prob never be supported by MacOS... but.. a boy can dream.

I'm going to start building my X670E Creator soon. I may run it in Windows for a while just to play with my new toy.

if anyone can get it working, it's @CaseySJ , @ExtremeXT , or @Shaneee

let's get it done!
Unfortunately, the unaffordability of these cards will make it impossible for the near future, and testing remotely is is harder, because of having to communicate every instructions, time zone differences, etc. In my opinion, the best chance anyone has got are the WhateverRed developers, who are very close to getting AMD APUs running accelerated.

But I do have a semi-solution, you need to get 2 DP cables, connect both into your monitor, and into each of your GPUs (assuming both GPUs are in the system), disable the XTX for macOS with an SSDT's and enable automatic input detection on your monitor. This will make both GPUs available in Windows or Linux, with the primary output being the XTX (by disabling the graphical output of the old GPU in these OSes), and macOS will be unchanged. Your monitor will automatically switch to the correct one.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
If you use Device Properties to make the disks connected to the Sata controllers internal, The Asus Rog X670E Hero loses on those controllers the ability to have those hot plug disks
@CaseySJ and all other x670 motherboard users.
Do you guys get the same thing?

Obviously without Device Properties declared just turn on the corresponding option (Hot Plug) for the disk to have it working

Edit:
using only kernel quirk ExternalIcons (which usually is not advised to be used for this task) hot plug works and icons have right internal grey color
I have a QNAP NAS connected via both 10GbE and 2.5GbE into two different Ethernet hubs. The NAS is packed with five 14TB Seagate Exos drives, two SATA SSDs and two NVMe SSDs for tiered storage.

I haven’t used on-board SATA hot-plug in over a decade! :)

fabiosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
I haven’t used on-board SATA hot-plug in over a decade! :)
On AMD discord someone said me I am not modern because I use a bd recorder ;)
I like always to understand things
Often people say too easily ‘it works’
I like to go deeper :)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
On AMD discord someone said me I am not modern because I use a bd recorder ;)
I like always to understand things
Often people say too easily ‘it works’
I like to go deeper :)
It’s good to know that SATA hot-plug is not compatible with “built-in” device property. More generally, I agree that it’s important to understand the limitations of any change we make.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
… I use a bd recorder ;)
I still buy all my music on CDs and rip them using a USB CD/DVD drive in both lossless and lossy formats. I maintain two music libraries.

The lossy library is for the car, the iPhone, the Apple Watch and other mobile devices.

The lossless library is of course much bigger in file size. It’s for all my desktop computers and my Rose Hi-Fi music streamer that has an internal drive bay for SATA SSD. I connect the streamer via USB to a Denafrips Pontus R2R ladder DAC (resistor-to-resistor).

I’m currently on my 3rd month of a 3-month free subscription to Apple Music, but in the first two months I used the service just once or twice. It is convenient and there’s definitely a market for streaming music, but it’s just not for me.

Last edited:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I’m currently on my 3rd month of a 3-month free subscription to Apple Music, but in the first two months I used the service just once or twice. It is convenient and there’s definitely a market for streaming music, but it’s just not for me.

I have a Family subscription to Spotify that I have used forever and I see no reason to switch. (to Apple Music) i'm not an audiophile and still only use my Classe SSP-800 to play everything at home. it sounds great in lossy mode. my car has very good custom sound system, and Spotify sounds great there too. again, i'm not an audiophile.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.