Which version of MacOS would be the best for my low end pc? and how do i make an installation DVD?

ZippyTheCat

AMD OS X Member
Hello, yeah i know this isnt your casual usb and good pc, its a weak one.
and i am just wondering, which version is the best one to install, that so i could install it from a dvd cause i dont have a usb drive working in that pc. it works from windows xp but not from bios. but either way which version of mac os x i could install on the low end pc from a dvd? refer to my signature for specs.

pink101

AMD OS X Member
Hello, yeah i know this isnt your casual usb and good pc, its a weak one.
and i am just wondering, which version is the best one to install, that so i could install it from a dvd cause i dont have a usb drive working in that pc. it works from windows xp but not from bios. but either way which version of mac os x i could install on the low end pc from a dvd? refer to my signature for specs.
with only 2gb of ram i guess it's snow leopard, but you need to make sure that the vga card is supported...
here's what google gave me: https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...by-snow-leopard-10-6-x-but-not-opencl-capable

i tried lion once on 2gb macbook white, it was laggy
on the "how" part, i dont really know, but i think back then there's a custom amd bootable iso to bootstrap the installation disk, then after it reach an installation GUI you replace the DVD with snow leopard then start the installation.. after that you replace the kernel with the AMD version from the custom bootable iso to the hard drive...

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You might be able to install OS X Snow Leopard, using a retail DVD. These are still available for around £20+ on eBay and from other online retailers.

You would need to use a patched Kernel, as I doubt you can get OpenCore booting your K7 series system. Even Nawcom's modCD may not work, but that is the most likely option for this really old AMD system.

See this post over at OSXLatitude for download of modCD ISO, which you would need to burn to a CD/DVD - https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11447-nawcoms-modcd-modusb/

If you don't know which graphics card is being used, you are going to have to run OS X in VESA mode (low resolution and blocky graphics), until you can confirm the GPU. Once you confirm the GPU you will then see if it is compatible or not.

Without knowing which motherboard you are using it is again impossible to tell if the Ethernet, Audio or other peripherals will work in Sao Leopard, or which third party kexts you would need to get them working.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Actually I was going to post about this. There's an interesting thread here from someone on Reddit who managed to get their AMD Toshiba laptop boot Snow Leopard using Opencore 0.6.4 and legacy kexts. > Apparently it requires some of the older kexts like AppleATIATA and FakeSMC in order to boot.

ZippyTheCat

AMD OS X Member
with only 2gb of ram i guess it's snow leopard, but you need to make sure that the vga card is supported...
here's what google gave me: https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...by-snow-leopard-10-6-x-but-not-opencl-capable

i tried lion once on 2gb macbook white, it was laggy
on the "how" part, i dont really know, but i think back then there's a custom amd bootable iso to bootstrap the installation disk, then after it reach an installation GUI you replace the DVD with snow leopard then start the installation.. after that you replace the kernel with the AMD version from the custom bootable iso to the hard drive...
honestly i would've liked to get lion even if it would've lagged, but eh... i know how to make windows xp usable, so probably why cant i make snow leopard usable?

You might be able to install OS X Snow Leopard, using a retail DVD. These are still available for around £20+ on eBay and from other online retailers.

You would need to use a patched Kernel, as I doubt you can get OpenCore booting your K7 series system. Even Nawcom's modCD may not work, but that is the most likely option for this really old AMD system.

See this post over at OSXLatitude for download of modCD ISO, which you would need to burn to a CD/DVD - https://osxlatitude.com/forums/topic/11447-nawcoms-modcd-modusb/

If you don't know which graphics card is being used, you are going to have to run OS X in VESA mode (low resolution and blocky graphics), until you can confirm the GPU. Once you confirm the GPU you will then see if it is compatible or not.

Without knowing which motherboard you are using it is again impossible to tell if the Ethernet, Audio or other peripherals will work in Sao Leopard, or which third party kexts you would need to get them working.
i dont live in usa or anywhere where ebay users could sell it, and i dont trust ebay global shipping after seeing a lot of hate about it. nor can i buy in the current situation here in ukraine (which if you didnt know, yeah i live in ukraine).
altough after this war ends i might buy OS X Snow Leopard retail dvd and use your method.
also well i dont really know my gpu... all i know is that it has 64mb vram.
however i do know my motherboard, its ASRock K8NF4G-SATA2 (i couldnt get my usb drive working on it so thats why im asking for dvd install specifically)

Actually I was going to post about this. There's an interesting thread here from someone on Reddit who managed to get their AMD Toshiba laptop boot Snow Leopard using Opencore 0.6.4 and legacy kexts. > Apparently it requires some of the older kexts like AppleATIATA and FakeSMC in order to boot.
huh, didnt knew that it requires older kexts like these to boot.

to be honest, thanks to you all. altough the pc kinda broke right now so i cant check out any of these methods at current state until i get my pc fixed.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.