Ventura 13.3 Install Problem

Ejh4286

AMD OS X Member
I've tried to install Ventura 13.3 on two different machines:

1. Asus X670E with 7900X cpu. OC 0.8.3 currently running 13.2.1.
2. Asus X570 with 5950X cpu. OC 0.8.3 currently running 13.2.1.

When trying to boot "MacOS Installer" from boot menu, all three get stuck with the identical screen. There must be some common setting that is causing this. I tried upgrading to OC 0.9.0 on machine #1, with the same result. Can anyone out there help?

Attachments

• 20230325_175903.jpg
    20230325_175903.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
Solution
I

That's a good thought but we do need the SSDT-CPUR.aml for the AM5 boards. I think he is missing the kernel patch CaseySJ wrote that fixes PCI bus enumeration. It's number 17 in the attached. I also don't recognize the patches he is using in 18 through 22 but that might not be an issue, I can't say. What I've attached I use on both my AM5 boards.
Thank you for replying. My efi uses a patch posted by CaseySJ on this forum back in November. If I remember there were several alternatives. I used your patch in lieu of the one I was using. Same result. Still won't boot into 13.3.☹️

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Ensure you've got the core count correct in the CPU patches as per our GitHub page and you've set ProvideCurrentCpuInfo in Kernel -> Quirks.

AntarcticPL

AMD OS X Member
Same crash on my PC trying to update to 13.3.
Updated and checked latest CPU patches and Kernel Quirk is enabled.
Will do some more tests following days ...

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
For the patch.plist that is posted in the current github for AMD kernel— Is it just me or the only the first one has B0 while other 3 has BA. And when you adjust the kernel to BA— for 13.3, I also have to make sure the character length between replace and mask the same?

I did manage to get my system up and running 13.3 using the new kernel patch, but I just had to be extra mindful.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
For the patch.plist that is posted in the current github for AMD kernel— Is it just me or the only the first one has B0 while other 3 has BA. And when you adjust the kernel to BA— for 13.3, I also have to make sure the character length between replace and mask the same?

I did manage to get my system up and running 13.3 using the new kernel patch, but I just had to be extra mindful.
The first one is B8 (not B0).

Updated the patches and all went well updating to 13.3. Thanks to all who work hard on this.

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2023-03-28, 9.27.45 πμ.png
    Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2023-03-28, 9.27.45 πμ.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 44

AntarcticPL

AMD OS X Member
After quite some tests and changes, I managed to install 13.3 with OC 0.9.0.
Not sure however what did the trick, but I guess it was adding 'keepsyms=1' to my boot-args.

I did loose 'trim' on my ahci SSD drives. Again I'm not sure this is caused by 13.3. Can someone check?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Adding keepsyms=1 to your config boot args will not have been the reason for the OS updating/installing.

Have a read of fate information regarding the common boot args used in a Hack and you will hopefully understand why this is the case.

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 20.33.55.png

You must have changed something else, probably updating the AMD Kernel Patches to include the 4th CPU core setting, which is required to run Ventura 13.3.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
I seem to be stuck. I applied the new patches (I just copy and pasted from GitHub over the old ones using PlistEdit Pro and added my CPU's core count), and double checked that ProvideCurrentCpuInfo was still checked. If I try selecting the 13.3 installer from the OC splash screen, I get the Apple logo, progress bar shows and starts to load and restart. No matter how many times I select the installer same progress and reboot. All kexts and OC is up to date. What am I missing?!

Update: I went old school and zapped the p-ram, re-downloaded the installer... and it worked. 11 minutes later and I was in 13.3. Ok then! 😆

A small niggle that showed up when I updated OC to 0.9.0 - OpenCore Validator shows OSC: Missing key ResizeUsePciRblo, contact <Quirks>!, and even though I checked it and saved the plist the quick does not appear in my plist under UEFI at all when I re-load it. What is this quirk, do I need it, and how can I make OC happy?

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Open the Sample.plist from OC 0.9.0 Documents sub-folder.
Copy the missing quirk from the Sample.plist.
Open your working config.plist, navigate to the UEFI section.
Paste the missing quirk in to the correct section.
Save the config, reboot your system and the issue will be resolved.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Could someone post a working EFI for 13.3. TIA
For what hardware? One size does not fit all....AM4, AM5, B550, X570 (not to mention the 400 series boards). We need more information to even begin to help, consider creating your own thread under the Ventura heading and list your components.

Ejh4286

AMD OS X Member
For what hardware? One size does not fit all....AM4, AM5, B550, X570 (not to mention the 400 series boards). We need more information to even begin to help, consider creating your own thread under the Ventura heading and list your components.
I have an Asus TUF Gaming X670E with a Ryzen 7900X. It boots fine into Ventura 13.2.1 but won't boot into 13.3. I have applied the latest AMD patches but it quickly freezes during boot. I'm assuming I've done something wrong with the new patches. I've attached a screenshot of the verbose screen where it freezes and a copy of my EFI. Any help is of course greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230330_101020.jpg
    20230330_101020.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Does your Asus Z670E board require the SSDT-CPUR.aml table? I thought the SSDT-CPUR.aml table was only required for the B550 and A520 motherboards.

Try removing the SSDT and the config.plist entry and see if that helps.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Does your Asus Z670E board require the SSDT-CPUR.aml table? I thought the SSDT-CPUR.aml table was only required for the B550 and A520 motherboards.

AM5 also needs it.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK good to know, then Dortania Ryzen guide needs to be updated to include that parcel of essential information.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I

That's a good thought but we do need the SSDT-CPUR.aml for the AM5 boards. I think he is missing the kernel patch CaseySJ wrote that fixes PCI bus enumeration. It's number 17 in the attached. I also don't recognize the patches he is using in 18 through 22 but that might not be an issue, I can't say. What I've attached I use on both my AM5 boards.

Attachments

• Patch 17.plist
    15.3 KB · Views: 7

Ejh4286

AMD OS X Member
I

Thank you for replying. My efi uses a patch posted by CaseySJ on this forum back in November. If I remember there were several alternatives. I used your patch in lieu of the one I was using. Same result. Still won't boot into 13.3.☹️

Solution

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Please try the attached

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11 MB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.