madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hi there. Sonoma 14.3 update is live. Is it safe to update or do we need to make any chages to the kernel patches or config.plist...?
I am on latest OC 0.97.

Thanks!

craighazan

Donator
Donator
@Shaneee @Edhawk. Thanks for your help, the issue has been solved. New internet connection was installed too this week, I thought that was the problem. I have used DuckDuckGo before to navigate this problem when it happened some time ago. Thanks again.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just download the installer from the App Store and run that. It will download from the Software Update prefs pane, and give an error when it tries to update, so just exit and run the installer app from the Applications folder. No mods or patches or boot args necessary.
it works for me. thank you, with my EFI OC 097 untouched, no boot arg added.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just download the installer from the App Store and run that. It will download from the Software Update prefs pane, and give an error when it tries to update, so just exit and run the installer app from the Applications folder. No mods or patches or boot args necessary.

That's how it worked for me too. Thanks! Only problem my Ryzen 5 5600x is shown as an intel i5. I use restrictevents.kext v1.1.3

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-01-25, 7.58.29 πμ.png
    Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-01-25, 7.58.29 πμ.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Do you have the revpatch=sbvmm boot argument set? I have so I get update notifications, but my CPU is now listed as the 3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W, when it was correct before. I think the Restrict Events kext and that setting don't go well together.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Installing/adding RestricEvents.kext is sometimes not enough. In that there are options available to make sure you have the correct CPU, Memory & PCI elements set in your config.plist. These can either be by using boot arguments or Nvram entries.

For example the NVRAM section of my Ryzen 7 5700G/Asus TUF Gaming B550M/RX 5700 XT system looks like this.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 17.17.12.png

You will note that both the ADD and DELETE 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 sections are populated with additional entries. These are options available when using RestrictEvents.kext that will help the system use the correct CPU name, MEM and PCI attributes if using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS and allow OTA updates. I have also added a custom CPU name, using the revcpuname option. This CPU name carries through to the About this Mac and System Settings tabs, as shown below.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 17.23.01.png About This Mac

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 17.23.31.png System Settings > General > About tab.

Details of these and other RestrictEvents options/Boot Arguments are shown on the Github page linked below.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Installing/adding RestricEvents.kext is sometimes not enough. In that there are options available to make sure you have the correct CPU, Memory & PCI elements set in your config.plist. These can either be by using boot arguments or Nvram entries.

For example the NVRAM section of my Ryzen 7 5700G/Asus TUF Gaming B550M/RX 5700 XT system looks like this.

View attachment 13205

You will note that both the ADD and DELETE 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 sections are populated with additional entries. These are options available when using RestrictEvents.kext that will help the system use the correct CPU name, MEM and PCI attributes if using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS and allow OTA updates. I have also added a custom CPU name, using the revcpuname option. This CPU name carries through to the About this Mac and System Settings tabs, as shown below.
Thank you so much. I amended my config plist according to your instructions and now the cpu name is shown correctly in the "about Mac".
I trust that I will still be getting the OTA updates, correct? (I deleted the "revpatch=sbvmm" argument from the boot arguments and just added the "sbvmm,auto" in the revpatch line.

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-01-26, 1.27.25 μμ.png
    Στιγμιότυπο οθόνης 2024-01-26, 1.27.25 μμ.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
That looks Ok as far as the RestrictEvent entries in the NVRAM section.

You don't need -lilubetall boot argument, as you are not using a beta release of the OS. Doesn't help you have mis-spelt the boot argument (-lilubetaall) either, as the entry you are using is missing the second letter 'a'.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
That looks Ok as far as the RestrictEvent entries in the NVRAM section.

You don't need -lilubetall boot argument, as you are not using a beta release of the OS. Doesn't help you have mis-spelt the boot argument (-lilubetaall) either, as the entry you are using is missing the second letter 'a'.
Thanks! I've missed that. I will delete the -lilubetaall entry. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Edhawk, I have included the entries from your screenshots, but when I try to boot from my test stick, it completes the first bootup but ends at OC: Watchdog status is 0 and never progresses to the selection menu. It's cosmetic so not a huge issue but any Guru insights? :)

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 12.53.00.png

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The RestrictEvents NVRAM entries shouldn’t cause a boot issue. Are you using the latest version of RestrictEvents kext?

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yes, it's version 1.1.3, from last October. I've let it sit for a while to see if it progressed or errored out but no. I'll experiment with a previous plist - if it still hangs my stick might be the issue. (Though it's the one I always use between OpenCore updates :unsure:). EDIT I started with a new plist, that did boot normally and redid all the entries. It did go through to the boot menu and it booted fine. It also correctly used the CPU name String values. Weird. Not sure where I took a wrong turn but it works! Cheers for thinking along!

Last edited:

keef247

AMD OS X Member
Working perfectly for me, didn't show up in software update, went into the App Store, downloaded it, ran it, let it do it's thing, worked perfect, didn't change any previous efi/kexts/etc.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.