Ryzen 7000 Testing

Neckbeard

AMD OS X Member

Sharky

AMD OS X Member
I responded to something similar a couple of posts above:

Let's see if this helps.
Little update:

I have tried runa NVRAM reset (for another reason) and magically, the speed in both direction is back!

@CaseySJ Thanks for the support, hopefully tonight I will perform an update from Big sur to Ventura and test the KEXT (always if Amazon manages to deliver my 6900Xt...)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Little update:

I have tried runa NVRAM reset (for another reason) and magically, the speed in both direction is back!

@CaseySJ Thanks for the support, hopefully tonight I will perform an update from Big sur to Ventura and test the KEXT (always if Amazon manages to deliver my 6900Xt...)
I’ll provide a new version that writes to both dmesg and system log files. Really hoping someone can find my name in one of those logs. ;)

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I’ll provide a new version that writes to both dmesg and system log files. Really hoping someone can find my name in one of those logs. ;)
Here's a new version that writes to both log files...

Attachments

• RestrictEvents-1.1.0-DEBUG.zip
    19.3 KB · Views: 5

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Noooooooo! :)

Okay, back to the drawing board.
To get logs from RestrictEvents you need:
  • Debug or Release version of DebugEnhancer
  • Debug version of RestrictEvents

And a boot argument: -revdbg

Then you can get the logs with this command: (sudo dmesg | grep -i RestrictEvents) > ~/Desktop/RestrictEventsLog.txt

Attachments

• RestrictEventsLog.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
To get logs from RestrictEvents you need:
  • Debug or Release version of DebugEnhancer
  • Debug version of RestrictEvents

And a boot argument: -revdbg

Then you can get the logs with this command: (sudo dmesg | grep -i RestrictEvents) > ~/Desktop/RestrictEventsLog.txt
According to comments in the RestrictEvents source code:
Currently Pallas will not provide updates to any machine with gibraltar ProductType but non-ap (e.g. J137AP) and non-VMM HWModelStr.
To workaround this issue we hook sysctls used by softwareupdated and com.apple.Mobile to report VMM-x86_64 in HWModelStr.
The VMM model is chosen if the hypervisor sysctl returns true.

The function in RestrictEvents that "hooks sysctls used by softwareupdated and com.apple.Mobile" is called rerouteHvVmm. This function is called if the following condition is met:

C:
                    if ((getKernelVersion() >= KernelVersion::Monterey ||
                        (getKernelVersion() == KernelVersion::BigSur && getKernelMinorVersion() >= 4)) &&
                        (revsbvmmIsSet || revassetIsSet))
                        rerouteHvVmm(patcher);

We can see that Kernel Version needs to be greater than or equal to Monterey, and either revsbvmmIsSet or revassetIsSet needs to be True. So the modification I made forces revsbvmmIsSet to True if the processor is AMD.

But does the function actually get called?

In the attached version of RestrictEvents a new log message is added that tells us whether sysctl gets hooked. It also enables revassetIsSet.

Attachments

19.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@Lorys89 / All,

This version of RestrictEvents disables the call to rerouteHvVmm (see post directly above for details). If you use MacPro7,1 and Ventura then feel free to try this version.

It is still a work in progress so we should not expect it to work. However, it will generate log messages if we add Boot Argument -revdbg. To grab the log, we can type this after booting into macOS:
Bash:
sudo dmesg | grep Casey > ~/Documents/dmesg.txt

It may also be necessary to add DebugEnhancer kext from Acidanthera GitHub.

Attachments

19.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

mumin16

AMD OS X Member

CaseySJ please share EFI folder! Thanks...​

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

CaseySJ please share EFI folder! Thanks...​

Hello @mumin16

I plan to create a build guide after the holidays. Some questions:
  • What hardware do you have?
  • Have you already attempted to configure OpenCore by following the general outline (here) and the Dortania guide?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
@Lorys89 / All,

This version of RestrictEvents disables the call to rerouteHvVmm (see post directly above for details). If you use MacPro7,1 and Ventura then feel free to try this version.

It is still a work in progress so we should not expect it to work. However, it will generate log messages if we add Boot Argument -revdbg. To grab the log, we can type this after booting into macOS:
Bash:
sudo dmesg | grep Casey > ~/Documents/dmesg.txt

It may also be necessary to add DebugEnhancer kext from Acidanthera GitHub.
I'll test this after my new motherboard arrives, I somehow broke it when upgrading the GPU...

mumin16

AMD OS X Member
Hello @mumin16

I plan to create a build guide after the holidays. Some questions:
  • What hardware do you have?
  • Have you already attempted to configure OpenCore by following the general outline (here) and the Dortania guide?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
I'll test this after my new motherboard arrives, I somehow broke it when upgrading the GPU...
Ouch! I recently broke the PCI slot retention tab on an older motherboard when attempting to remove the GPU, but fortunately that’s not a functional problem. I was very annoyed at myself nevertheless.

Are you replacing like for like, or switching to a different make/model?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Ouch! I recently broke the PCI slot retention tab on an older motherboard when attempting to remove the GPU, but fortunately that’s not a functional problem. I was very annoyed at myself nevertheless.

Are you replacing like for like, or switching to a different make/model?
I took advantage of this situation to upgrade to a PCIe 4.0 motherboard (Gigabyte B550M Gaming X V2) from my Gigabyte B450M DS3H so I can run my new GPU at full speed. The same old motherboard had around the same price, so it just wasn't worth it. The new one also has BIOS Flashback so I have something to try in case something like this happens again :)

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ
Code:
[    0.732879]: RestrictEvents       rev: @ Casey - revsbvmm is 0
[    0.732882]: RestrictEvents       rev: @ (DBG) Casey - revsbvmm is 0
[    0.732884]: RestrictEvents       rev: @ Casey - Setting revsbvmmIsSet and revassetIsSet to False because AMD CPU
[    0.732887]: RestrictEvents       rev: @ (DBG) Casey - Setting revsbvmmIsSet and revassetIsSet to False because AMD CPU

With latest kext incremental upgrade doesn't work (from 13.01 to 13.1)

thunder72fr

AMD OS X Member
Please, any EFI, tips for a 7950X with Asus X670E -F Gaming Wifi ?

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
As discussed previously in this thread, when​
RestrictEvents​
kext is enabled on an AMD platform, we lose the ability to perform​
incremental​
macOS updates. Instead, the full 12GB installer is downloaded, which wastes network bandwidth, time and disk space.​

This issue also happens on a friend's Intel desktop when using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, so it's not AMD exclusive.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
This issue also happens on a friend's Intel desktop when using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, so it's not AMD exclusive.
But if RestrictEvents is disabled, then incremental update works?

When I return from vacation I'll continue this effort. It will take a few more iterations to isolate the problem.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ
Code:
[    0.732879]: RestrictEvents       rev: @ Casey - revsbvmm is 0
[    0.732882]: RestrictEvents       rev: @ (DBG) Casey - revsbvmm is 0
[    0.732884]: RestrictEvents       rev: @ Casey - Setting revsbvmmIsSet and revassetIsSet to False because AMD CPU
[    0.732887]: RestrictEvents       rev: @ (DBG) Casey - Setting revsbvmmIsSet and revassetIsSet to False because AMD CPU

With latest kext incremental upgrade doesn't work (from 13.01 to 13.1)
Thanks! This shows that the rerouteHvVmm method was not called, as we had expected. But that in itself did not help.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.