Ryzen 7 4700G — Ventura 13.5 & Sonoma Public Beta — Radeon Graphics 16 GB [Renoir] — NRed

craighazan

Donator
Donator
craighazan's APU build — Picasso [NAKED]
ASUS Prime A320I-K — Ryzen 5 4600G — Radeon Graphics [Renoir]

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 8.19.43 AM.png8D74FA92-EB40-47F1-BE98-42A495895E82.jpeg

Components New

Ryzen 5 4600G AMD Radeon Graphics [Renoir] APU — AmazonNeweggMicro Center

Components Salvaged from the Hackintosh Recycling Bin
ASUS Prime 320I-K — Good board if you can find it cheap, its small, has DP & HDMI, M.2 slot, X 16 Slot, 4 SATA and supports Ryzen 5000 series processors and doesn't seem as limited as B450 or A520 boards, that I have owned.
KingSpec NE-128 — This star of an NVMe drive, this has been in every build I've done and it still performs.
8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX — 'Borrowed' from my other Ryzen build, the Naked G5!.
DELL 7010 PSU — What can I say, if this was any other build you'd be the star of the show, don't give up I believe in you.

Comments
... Craig you've forgotten something... Huh?... Graphics!. No I haven't because this build is all about Radeon!. It hasn't been fully tested, there are still things I want to find out. And being we've spent a bit of time together now, I feel confident enough to write up a user build. Sure she looks like one of her namesakes cubist paintings but don't let that distract you from, in what is my early opinion, Ventura looking better in Radeon, than UHD 630.
NootedRed.kext, formally WhateverRed, appeared roughly a year ago, whispers and hear say of successful APU's without much followup brewed until May 2023, when things really started happening. For what seemed like an eternity Big Sur was the only OS the kext supported, success had mainly been reported with AMD Laptops, hp was a popular one. But there wasn't much word about AMD Desktops only a 3000G series success story. Then all of a sudden it was 3000 and 4000 series APU's, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma were working, so of course I went and picked up a Ryzen 4600G, why wouldn't I?!.

Why the Ryzen 4600G?
It's cheap!, compare the price I paid at Micro Center, $92 btw, to say 3000 G series or even 2000 G series. $28 cheaper than 5600G at Micro Center, and there's a lot in the box, see my other thread below, I got a Ryzen 5 4600G. I've always been a fan of this APU, Wasn't it originally a Laptop APU and they had some left over?, I'll have to look that up. At the time of its release 3 years ago I thought it would make a great budget Ryzen gaming build, even if you couldn't Hackintosh it. 6 cores, 12 threads, low profile cpu fan and a gorgeous sticker, on the G side you have 7 Radeon Graphic Cores beating @ 1900MHz, that's better than UHD 630 1500MHz. And if the speed of verbose is any measure of performance, then it boots quicker than the 5700X in the G5!.

Installation
At the moment it's not advisable to to clean install using NootedRed.kext, if you're lucky enough to have another Hackintosh lying around maybe borrow the storage drive for a bit, or clean install using another computer. I have Ventura but you could install either Big Sur, Monterey or Sonoma, they have been confirmed as working so far.

BIOS
Here is probably the best source for this part, OpenCores Ryzen and Threadripper (17h and 19H) page!. We're also going to set maximum memory for the VRAM, the NootedRed.kext needs a minimum of 512 MB, 1 GB is preferred and more if you have it.

EFI
I spent some time preparing my EFI before I got the APU, I'm using the same one I have in HackinDROM. I chose iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS other platform info you can use are MacBookPro16,3, iMac20,1 or iMacPro1,1 don't use MacPro7,1 you'll be staring at a black screen otherwise. If you're using RestrictEvents.kext add 'revblock=media' to your Boot Arguments. After HackinDROM finished installing, I removed WhateverGreen.kext and replaced it with NootedRed.kext, then updated my AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla patches, plist and OpenCore.

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 10.39.05 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 11.18.40 PM.png

Does It Work?
Well yes it does!, the frame buffer loads, the dock resembles frosted glass, not bad for something that shouldn't work!. Can it play Minecraft better than UHD 630?. No, though it's not far off, take down that draw distance and we should be good, but it's much better than a 5700X and RX 580!. How does it look?. I might not be popular for saying this, but it does just look so much more vibrant and sharp, the colors blend smoothly and there is much less banding. Text is much crispier, counters are more defined and its easier to read than UHD 630.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 7.59.00 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 8.12.03 AM.png

Benchmarks
I posted my first GB6 benches in my Ventura guide, linked below. The multicore score surprised me, I thought it would be a bit higher than 4900, but the single core score cheered me up again coming in at around 1500. But it's the Metal score we're all interested in, I have Metal 3 support!, but there is a wild disparity in the 2 benches I have recorded so far. Around 12500 for the first bench but today it's 5000, huh. I did remove the boot arg ncpi=0x3000 and enabled Above 4G Encoding BIOS between the benches, related?.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 11.02.56 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-19 at 11.09.13 PM.png

I got a Ryzen 5 4600G !

Ryzen 5 4600G — Radeon Graphics [Renoir] — Ventura 13.4.1

Getting started — Welcome to the Noot Hackintosh Guide.

Last edited: 55 minutes ago

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.8 MB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 11.09.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 11.09.13 PM.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
At the moment it's not advisable to to clean install using NootedRed.kext,

Says who...?

craighazan

Donator
Donator

craighazan

Donator
Donator
So I broke it again anyway, tried updating to Ventura Public Beta 5 and prohibited showed up. Interesting I have the same Public Beta on another SSD and it booted fine!, so not sure what's going on there. Currently waiting on a new installer to try!.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 12.48.35 PM.png

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
It is Beta software, so it is not going to behave correctly all the time. Issues like this are pretty much to be expected, especially when updating from one beta release to another.

A clean installation is always the preferred option, as this means you are not carrying over any issues from the previous beta.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
I stand corrected @ExtremeXT, successfully clean installed Ventura 13.4.1.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 2.10.44 PM.png

craighazan

Donator
Donator
So current issue is apps crashing Safari, Disk Utility, Notes. Seems to happen when using a text field, copy & Paste, rename folder. Other than that all is well, Reading about min and maxkernals for Sonoma, I have a USB installer and app, so far keep getting stuck BS!. Thinking about moving to the B450 board as that has intel WiFi/BT.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
So current issue is apps crashing Safari, Disk Utility, Notes. Seems to happen when using a text field, copy & Paste, rename folder. Other than that all is well, Reading about min and maxkernals for Sonoma, I have a USB installer and app, so far keep getting stuck BS!. Thinking about moving to the B450 board as that has intel WiFi/BT.

Just update the patches and all kexts to latest release. Update should go smoothly.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Succesfully updated Ventura 13.4.1 (c), the AWOL security update. Still no joy in installing Sonoma, keeps stalling at BS. Doubled the memory to 16 GB which allowed me to allocate even more VRAM to the Radeon Graphics, currently 8GB and everything seems a bit more stable, Apps have stopped quitting and I'm able to enjoy Ventura. Last night I installed the 4600G onto a Gigabyte B450 motherboard, but I just got a black screen after verbose. One interesting thing I noticed and I wish I took a screenshot!, I could allocate up to 16GB VRAM, I'm not sure where it was finding all that Vram as I only had 8 GB installed at the time.

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 10.33.33 AM.png

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Updated the NootedRed.kext to build 33e9abf, 'Another DDI caps fix' version yesterday and everything is looking good, infact ‘looking’ better than before, smoother for sure, the transition when minimizing windows looks really good, very room temperature buttery!. It’s worth keeping up with the workflow on Nootincs GitHub, today there’s a newer build and a fix for HDMI Audio, I can’t test that unfortunately but I’d be interested in reading the comments from those that are.

Last edited:

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Since the latest NRed kext update macOS Finder has been looking really good!. The Dock is a good example with smoother animations and transitions.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Look at you Sonoma, running on a Ryzen 5 4600G APU with 8 GB VRAM!. After realizing I hadn't updated my vanilla patches recently and spending the past week staring at BS EXIT. I finally managed to boot Sonoma Public Beta on my A320I-K, I changed SMBIOS to MacPro7,1 after someone who owns the same APU on Discord had success too. Doesn't seem as visually stable as iMacPro1,1 and I got a notification about mis-matched RAM... but apart from that the new screensavers look awesome.

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 11.15.41 PM.png

craighazan

Donator
Donator
No Mans Sky running on a Ryzen 5 4600G in macOS Sonoma.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
After learning how to enable Metal HUD with the following piece of code in Terminal. We finally get to see what kind of numbers are being thrown out by No Mans Sky, and I have to say, 45 fps using Enhanced graphics setting is very playable.

Code:
/bin/launchctl setenv MTL_HUD_ENABLED 1

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 9.42.19 PM.png

craighazan

Donator
Donator
It’s difficult to convey how good Sonoma looks on a 4600G without the help of videos that demonstrate the smoothness of the Radeon Graphics. This is nice example below of me dragging a widget around thanks to Sonomas new ability!.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
New NRed Master up!, the 'Guard ' _psp_cmd_km_submit' route', commit 45e5c05. say that 10 times in a row really fast. Will test later.Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 9.51.00 AM.png

shuhung

AMD OS X Member
today there’s a newer build and a fix for HDMI Audio, I can’t test that unfortunately but I’d be interested in reading the comments from those that are.

Did you tested HDMI branch Nred? So far, it does not work for me yet. Recently I use VoodooHDA 3.0.2 for APU HDMI, it work fine but need installed into /L/E.

1690301649182.png

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Did you tested HDMI branch Nred? So far, it does not work for me yet. Recently I use VoodooHDA 3.0.2 for APU HDMI, it work fine but need installed into /L/E.

View attachment 11438
Not yet. My monitor doesn’t have speakers so I can’t test that way yet.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Using Metal HUD in No Mans Sky is probably the best way for me to test how good the Radeon Graphics really are. The best performance I can get with Enhanced Graphics settings in game is 59 FPS!, ok it's in a space station, but there's still NPCs and other ships landing and taking off. On world it can be between 30 and 45 FPS, that's not bad considering the draw distance, wildlife and other worldly stuff going on, in Space were looking at around the same. Dirt 4 won't boot but, Dirt Rally does, you can change the graphics settings, you also have the choice of letting the game decide which is probably the better option, only between 10 and 15 FPS this time though.

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 8.13.53 AM.pngstation.jpg
space.jpgplanet.jpg

craighazan

Donator
Donator
I upgraded my APU from a Ryzen 5 4600G to a Ryzen 7 4700G, one extra Radeon GPU core, now at 2.1 GHz. Also 2 extra CPU cores btw, but we just care about the GPU. Not even a 1% gain in single core according to GeekBench 6, but multi core saw a 12% gain. What was a nice surprise was being the only 4700G/Sonoma pairing on GB6, compared to Windows, Sonoma comes way out top on the 4700G, (multi core bench at least!).

F88F17C6-38FF-4193-BA19-FEC00F16DECE.png

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.