RadeonSensor - Monitor GPU Temperature with VirtualSMC

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I wanted to keep an eye on my GPU temperature without having to switch to FakeSMC.
Inspired by AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement/PowerGadget I tried to achieve the same using the code from RadeonMonitor:status_bar.png

The RadeonSensor.kext provides the GPU temperature which the RadeonGadget displays in the status bar.
I've tested it with my RX 6900 XT, but in theory it should work with every GPU that is supported by RadeonMonitor.

A first preview release can be found here: https://github.com/aluveitie/RadeonSensor/releases/tag/0.1.0

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Brilliant work. Confirmed working on the hot XFX RX480 :D

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Well it works, kind of. iStat says my Vega 64 is 71 Celsius, while RadeonGadget reports 107!!

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 1.15.30 AM.png

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
As far as I know RadeonMonitor reads the hot spot temperature. For Vega 10 iStats can read the temperature from the driver, which reads a different sensor.
And Vega 64 are known to get rather hot, so I guess that value would not be unreasonable.

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Its working but Ive just noticed that my gpu fans have ramped on and are going constantly and the GPU is toasty while idol. This is new behaviour as my fans are usually off all the time unless I'm using the gpu. Could be coincidence so il try a few tests and check.

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 11.05.45.png

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Ok so with the kext disabled again my fans have shut back off and the GPU is no longer toasty.
Something is making the GPU draw extra power. 100% not on my end, that's now confirmed.

I would say the Vega 64 report above is connected to it too.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Since mine is watercooled I can’t tell the difference. Can you try with FakeSMC/RadeonMonitor if it shows the same behavior?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Since mine is watercooled I can’t tell the difference. Can you try with FakeSMC/RadeonMonitor if it shows the same behavior?
Will do as soon as I’m back home.
Il let you know. :)

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Do the Fans ramp up even if the Gadget is not running? The Kext itself should do nothing if the App does not read from it (except looking up the GPU on loading).

Cyberdevs

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Aluveitie
Thanks for the kext, it works perfectly fine on my RX 580 and it also works fine with HWMonitorSMC2.

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 11.57.55 PM.png

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Cyberdevs with Polaris you don’t need my kext. Your HWMonitor does not show the GPU temp from that but the driver. This kext is only needed for Radeon VII or higher.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@Aluveitie Its all working just fine now. Nothings changed apart from me reinstalling the kext and trying it again. Fans are off and GPU temps are fine now.👌

It is giving the odd strange Max Temp reading though...lol.
Screenshot 2021-10-05 at 00.23.59.png 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥😂
Maybe something to look into? Also a option to exit from the app would be awesome too. :)

Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@AudioGod Thanks for the testing, glad to hear it's not a general issue :)

I'm planning to get rid of the max temp anyway, currently looking into supporting multiple GPUs and maybe trying to add frequency readout.
Will take some time though :D

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Release 0.1.2 has now support for the Radeon VII and a popup to close the app

Attachments

• RadeonSensor-0.1.2.zip
    77.3 KB · Views: 21

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@Aluveitie Here's a icon for your brilliant Radeon Gadget. It was doing my head in seeing a blank box in my applications... :)
Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 23.04.54.png

Attachments

• Radeon.ico.zip
    19.6 KB · Views: 14

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@AudioGod I already added the same icon on latest master 😂

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Would be awesome if there was an option app or Addon similar to the AMD Power Gadget. Sensei can pull the clock speeds etc from the card, not sure what it's using to do so though,

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Yep, that would be a long term goal. It is documented in the Linux Kernel how to read those stats. Would be doable on MacOS as well, just have to figure out how to properly do it.

Seyven

AMD OS X Member
Great! It's working with my RX 5500XT

elixir

AMD OS X Member
working great on RX 5700XT (y)

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.