Problems getting a R7 240 to work

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You confirm the IOReg Name (ACPI path) and I will edit the SSDT accordingly.

ACPI(SB)#ACPI(PCI0)#ACPI(GPP8)#ACPI(X161) converts to (_SB.PCI0.GPP8.X161)

Post a screenshot of your Hackintool > PCIe tab, so I can check this is the correct path.

Similar to the screenshot you provided in post # 31, just make sure the Hackintool window is enlarged to show the whole IOReg Name (ACPI path) for the GPU.

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 15.10.24.png Example of expanded Hackintool > PCIe window with full IOReg Name visible.

Alexflyme

AMD OS X Member
You confirm the IOReg Name (ACPI path) and I will edit the SSDT accordingly.

ACPI(SB)#ACPI(PCI0)#ACPI(GPP8)#ACPI(X161) converts to (_SB.PCI0.GPP8.X161)

Post a screenshot of your Hackintool > PCIe tab, so I can check this is the correct path.

Similar to the screenshot you provided in post # 31, just make sure the Hackintool window is enlarged to show the whole IOReg Name (ACPI path) for the GPU.

View attachment 6754 Example of expanded Hackintool > PCIe window with full IOReg Name visible.

Attachments

• 52EF56F6-CAAD-41E8-85E8-B1FD122B90D8.jpeg
    52EF56F6-CAAD-41E8-85E8-B1FD122B90D8.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 6

Alexflyme

AMD OS X Member
I've already shoveled a bunch of forums, it feels like no one has managed to launch it on Monterey. There is a feeling that this is unrealistic.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
That Hackintool Screenshot shows the IOReg name as (_SB.PCI0.PC02.GFX0), not (_SB.PCI0.GPP8.X161).

I set the SSDT-GPU-R7-240-SPOOF-v2.aml with that IOReg name. The SSDT was in the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder in the EFI I provided in post #35.

Screenshot 2022-08-01 at 20.57.32.png

You are probably correct. Running Monterey may be a step too far for this old AMD card.

Alexflyme

AMD OS X Member
That Hackintool Screenshot shows the IOReg name as (_SB.PCI0.PC02.GFX0), not (_SB.PCI0.GPP8.X161).

I set the SSDT-GPU-R7-240-SPOOF-v2.aml with that IOReg name. The SSDT was in the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder in the EFI I provided in post #35.

View attachment 6757

You are probably correct. Running Monterey may be a step too far for this old AMD card.
Thanks for the help anyway. I'm thinking of buying an RX 460 and forgetting about the R7 240 as a nightmare.

Alexflyme

AMD OS X Member

View attachment 6757

Good evening, dear. I got my MSI RX460, but ran into a new problem. Don't know what the reason might be? How to fix it?

Video link: https://www.veed.io/view/038eacb9-fac5-4178-bc83-f08ba2f04ad7?sharingWidget=true

Or: https://sendvid.com/3t2i0c7p

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Black Screen issues can be caused by a number of things. Answer the questions below as best you can.
  1. Which Model MSI card have you got?
  2. Which display out connector are you using, DP, DVI or HDMI?
  3. Are you using a Display Adapter or adapter cable, i.e. DP to HDMI for example?
  4. Do you have Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist Kernel > Add section?
  5. Did you remove the SSDT SPOOF from the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder and config.plist ACPI section?
  6. Did you remove any DeviceProperties entries from the config.plist for the R7 240 card before booting with the RX460?

Alexflyme

AMD OS X Member
Black Screen issues can be caused by a number of things. Answer the questions below as best you can.
  1. Which Model MSI card have you got?
  2. Which display out connector are you using, DP, DVI or HDMI?
  3. Are you using a Display Adapter or adapter cable, i.e. DP to HDMI for example?
  4. Do you have Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist Kernel > Add section?
  5. Did you remove the SSDT SPOOF from the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder and config.plist ACPI section?
  6. Did you remove any DeviceProperties entries from the config.plist for the R7 240 card before booting with the RX460?
1. MSI RX 460 4GB - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-rx-460-oc-4-gb.b3763

2. HDMI, DVI

3. Yes, I use a VGA-HDMI adapter

4.Yes, there is also lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext of the latest versions. And are registered in config.plist.

5. Yes, SSDT was deliberately deleted

6. Yes, I deleted absolutely everything that was connected with R7 240.

7. On my own, I will add that I also changed smbios from Mac Pro 6.1 to Mac Pro 7.1 as indicated in the opencore guide.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The Black Screen issue may be caused by your use of the HDMI-VGA adapter. HDMI to VGA adapter cable is a one-way adapter from a HDMI source to a VGA display. It doesn't work the other way around VGA to HDMI.

Were you using the HDMI to VGA adapter with the R7 240 card? Or, were you using VGA to VGA connection?

I ask because VGA is not a natively supported connector in macOS. They can be very hit and miss as to whether they work or not. Display adapters are even more problematic.

If you have the option to use DVI to DVI then please do so, as that has a much better chance of working in macOS.

Switching the SMBIOS from MacPro6,1 to MacPro7,1 shouldn't be an issue, as long as you set the SecureBootModel entry to 'Default'. This might have been set as 'Disabled' when using the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.

Alexflyme

AMD OS X Member
The Black Screen issue may be caused by your use of the HDMI-VGA adapter. HDMI to VGA adapter cable is a one-way adapter from a HDMI source to a VGA display. It doesn't work the other way around VGA to HDMI.

Were you using the HDMI to VGA adapter with the R7 240 card? Or, were you using VGA to VGA connection?

I ask because VGA is not a natively supported connector in macOS. They can be very hit and miss as to whether they work or not. Display adapters are even more problematic.

If you have the option to use DVI to DVI then please do so, as that has a much better chance of working in macOS.

Switching the SMBIOS from MacPro6,1 to MacPro7,1 shouldn't be an issue, as long as you set the SecureBootModel entry to 'Default'. This might have been set as 'Disabled' when using the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.
Yes, I also used this adapter with an R7 240 video card and there was no such thing.

Alexflyme

AMD OS X Member
I tried it without an adapter and on DVI-DVI. The result is the same.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Try adding agdpmod=pikera as a boot arg. If that doesn't work changepikera to ignore.

Alexflyme

AMD OS X Member
Try adding agdpmod=pikera as a boot arg. If that doesn't work changepikera to ignore.
All attempts did not lead to anything good. As a result, the Internet on that computer died. Apparently the port was fried. I assembled a config for another computer Ryzen 3 1200 + b450a-m + RX 460. Everything started the first time and works fine. And the video card too. My torment is over, thank you for your help in everything! It's just that apparently that computer was cursed.

Attachments

• 7165032F-2E88-4441-9273-6CE4B9670AE7.jpeg
    7165032F-2E88-4441-9273-6CE4B9670AE7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.