macOS Sonoma on AMD

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
With only changing the MaxVersion on the kernel patches and updating Lilu macOS Sonoma works just fine :D

Edit: I don't recommend updating your current system with Sonoma. If you want to test it use a different drive/partition.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 16.12.09.png

ethrals

AMD OS X Member
Can someone help me get started this weekend? The steps are really confusing to me.
I have a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 16GB RAM, and an SSD with AFPS that has 500GB (Main is 1TB but its for windows).
All I need is like how to get started and I also need help with the EFI part because I don't get it at all.

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
Use Corpnewt’s gibMacOS script, linked below.

Select the green coloured button named ‘Code’, then select the download zip option.

The script downloads macOS installation applications direct from Apples servers. It gives you a huge selection to choose from.
Thank you for the help, it’s working!!!
I created an installer with it, then reseted the Nvram and then I could install the system.

ThomasLads

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys, I have a working Ventura system, but I can't get Sonoma to boot, everything is updated I have two 5700XT GPUs which might be an issue.
attached in my config. perhaps you can spot something, Machine a 5900X/Asus Prime X370/32GB Ram and 2x 5700xt's

Attachments

• rt-config.plist
    35.9 KB · Views: 4

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Are your patches up to date?.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, the AMD Kernel patches in the config.plist attached above, are not up to date. They only support the installation of macOS up to and including Ventura.

The latest version of the AMD Kernel Patches can be downloaded from this GitHub repository.

There are 22 x patches in the latest version. You need to change/edit the first four to reflect the number of cores present in your CPU.

Having 2 x RX 5700 XT dGPU's present in your system will not be an issue, as long as your PSU can provide the power required. Also you will not see any major benefit using two dGPU's in macOS diromg normal usage. MacOS is not like Windows, you don't get the Crossfire benefits, as the drivers are not configured to work that way. The only time you will see any benefit from using dual GPU's is when you are using a programme that has been specifically configured by the Developer to work with dual GPUs.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
is it possible to use 2 6900xt on Windows disk and just one with MacOs disk on the same machine

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, you could set an SSDT to disable one of the two GPUs when running macOS. The two would still work in Windows as normal.

Although I wouldn’t bother with the SSDT, I would just continue to run both GPUs in both OS’s. I did this for a time with two RX 580’s and again with two Vega 56 cards. That Is how I know about the benefits and limitations of using two GPUs in macOS.

ThomasLads

AMD OS X Member
Thank you
That worked, I didn't think the patches on that page were updated as supported systems says Ventura as the latest,
hence my searching for updated patches.

I see a huge benefit with 2 GPUS, In FCP, Motion, Blender, Davincy ECT.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.